Hurricane Book Club [CLOSED]

By HurricaneBC

This is the archived original book club, for details on what we're doing now, check out the Hurricane Guidebo... More

Welcome!
General Rules and Guidelines
February 2020 ~ Roster
February 2020 ~ Critics
March 2020 ~ Roster
March 2020 ~ Critics
March 2020 ~ Renewals
April 2020 ~ Roster
April 2020 ~ Critics
April 2020 ~ Renewals
May 2020 ~ Roster
May 2020 ~ Critics
May 2020 ~ Renewals
June 2020 ~ Roster
June 2020 ~ Critics
June 2020 ~ Renewals
July 2020 ~ Roster
July 2020 ~ Critics
July 2020 ~ Renewals
August 2020 ~ Roster
August 2020 ~ Critics
August 2020 ~ Renewals
September 2020 ~ Roster
September 2020 ~ Critics
September 2020 ~ Renewals
October 2020 ~ Critics
October 2020 ~ Renewals
November 2020 ~ Roster
November 2020 ~ Critics
November 2020 ~ Renewals
December 2020 ~ Roster
December 2020 ~ Critics
December 2020 ~ Renewals
January 2021 ~ Roster
January 2021 ~ Critics
January 2021 ~ Renewals
February 2021 ~ Roster
February 2021 ~ Critics
February 2021 ~ Renewals
March 2021 ~ Roster
March 2021 ~ Critics
March 2021 ~ Renewals
April 2021 ~ Roster
April 2021 ~ Critics
April 2021 ~ Renewals
May 2021 ~ Roster
May 2021 ~ Critics
ANNOUNCEMENT

October 2020 ~ Roster

42 2 0
By HurricaneBC

We're into spooky season, stormers! Check out the contest book for our Halloween prompts and to find the master Halloween Vault 3D book on the CommunityHub profile! Prompts every day! :D

And a warm welcome back to lepus_leporis! <3

Here's our October Roster! (Just a quick note, I'm horribly behind on critiques so I've pulled myself ((Emily)) from the roster for now to catch up.)

Author Username: Di_Rossi

TGC: 101

Book Title: Charlotte Wynthorpe and The Case of the Disappearing Diamonds

Rating: PG-13

Description: London 1923. Charlotte Wynthorpe's socialite circle is being plagued by a rash of diamond burglaries during their wild, drunken parties. Sensing some terrible fun to be had, Charlotte decides on the spur of the moment to investigate. But what she discovers turns out to be anything other than fun and games.

This is a classic Agatha Christie-style mystery novella set in the English upper classes with humorous touches à la PG Wodehouse (Jeeves & Wooster / 1930s comedy). It contains LGBT+ themes accurate to the time period. Many characters originally appeared in my historical novel "Aftermath," making this somewhat a fan fiction off of my own work. (Is that allowed? Can you fan fic yourself? ) Chapter 1 brings those readers new to the world up to speed.

Critique Preferences: Anything you think will improve the story.

Book Title: Inclement Weather

Rating: PG-13 leaning towards R. (rather a lot of murder and some sex jokes, a little bit of language)

Description: A themed short story collection containing 8 stories inspired by different adverse weather patterns (Fog, Ice, Hail, Snow, Tornado, Torrential Rain, Electrical Storm, Gale Force Winds). The word count ranges from 2.5k to 4.5k. Each story is a different genre, so you can pick and choose whatever tickles your fancy. They can be read in any order. The genres are listed in the blurb, but some of them are: Courtroom Drama, Biblical Comedy, Historical Detective and Ghost story.

Critique Preference: Tell me what you thought worked, and what didn't. Be tough, I can take it. But, tell me your overall impression of the story and how well you thought the weather theme was done in a final comment, please.

Book TItle: The Song of Fafnir

Rating: PG (for violence)

Description: This novella is a retelling of the Siegfried and the Dragon story, but from the POV of the "dragon" -- who isn't really a dragon, but a Mountain Dwarf. It stays true to the original Nibelungen story from Germanic mythology, but reinterprets some of the action to cast certain characters in a totally different light. You don't have to know the original story to enjoy this, as there's an short intro and the first chapter sort of recaps the idea. Although this is straight mythology, it's NOT non-stop action. It's the recollections of a 300-year old Dwarf who speaks in longer, Norse-sounding sentences. If short and peppy is for you, then this isn't. But, if you like mythological fantasy, then it probably is.

Critique Preference: I've had plenty of critique on the first two chapters, so I'm more interested in chapter 3+. You can be as tough as you like.

Author Username: SinisterNumbers

TGC: 48

Book Title: Retribution

Rating: Mature

Description: Alistair Creed, a schizophrenic sociopath, has sworn to get retribution for the wrongs that have been done to him, but things get complicated when he entertains his infatuation with his enemies' daughter.

Can he work past his guilt for the mistakes he has made or will it tear him apart?

Critique Preferences: Tear it apart. I want your blunt honesty and thoughts. :)

Author Username: HicksScribbles

TGC: 26

Book Title: Wolf and Witch

Rating: General Audiences. The 18+ chapters for this story are kept in a separate book that the author's notes will direct you to, if you're so inclined. You won't be missing any critical plot information by skipping them.

Description: Wolf & Witch is a paranormal piece, that's roughly 67,000 words. It follows a modern-day witch who becomes entangled with a pack of werewolves disguised as a communal cult.

The story offers an adventure into a diverse, growing genre while hitting on experiences and situations that are not at all exclusive to members of the LGBTQ+ community. The magical elements were inspired heavily by practicing pagans and Wiccans. It isn't Harry Potter-theatrical. But it seeks to offer a more subtle, intimate idea of what magic could be.

While there is romance, the lead character forms and encounters relationships that are messy, raw, naive, and incredibly human. He navigates his experiences through trial and error, and finds support from unlikely places, most importantly, within himself.

Critique Preferences: I'm interested in everything from minor technical corrections, to raw opinions and in-depth character/story analysis. If any aspect of Wolf & Witch motivates you to think or feel some way about it, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Book Title: Loaded Guns and Broken Fences

Rating: General Audiences. The 18+ chapters for this story are kept in a separate book that the author's notes will direct you to, if you're so inclined. You won't be missing any critical plot information by skipping them.

Description: America, 1874. The civil war is over, but for the McGraths and Shields, the bloodshed is far from finished. A land dispute tears open old wounds and ignites a vicious battle for revenge. Can newly formed friendships weather this building storm? Or will hate baptize their entire Midwestern town in hell's fire?

Critique Preferences: Feedback on pacing, characters, and plot.

Author Username: lepus_leporis

TGC: 22

Book Title: Parallel

Rating: PG-13 (nothing sexual/explicit but it's a lot of doom and gloom so probably not for children)

Description: The world ends at 10:43am.

February 12, 1950: an atomic bomb hits central Pennsylvania. All life for miles is wiped out.

Except for, somehow, Alexander Dombkowski, who has no idea how - and why - he was the only one to survive.

Told through the perspectives of two men who, in another life, might've been the same.

Critique Preferences: Say whatever you want as long as it's constructive.

Author Username: bioshock2013

TGC: 8

Book Title: Under My Skin

Rating: Mature

Description: To Ella, life has never come easy. In between her fondness for "old-people music" and a nervous appetite the girl's always struggled conforming to what she's supposed to be.

Then along comes Mystery Man, roguishly handsome with a snappy wit to boot. Will she be able to find comfort and let herself be loved? Or sabotage this fiery romance?

Critique Preferences: I'd like to maintain some of the Aussie charm, but don't want it to be totally foreign to non-Aussies. If you have any suggestions that'd be awesome! I'm also happy to receive any constructive criticism in regards to plot, character, story and grammar.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.9M 500K 199
In the future, everyone who's bitten by a zombie turns into one... until Diane doesn't. Seven days later, she's facing consequences she never imagine...
238K 830 26
its all in the title babes 😋
88.5K 2.3K 33
A little AU where Lucifer and Alastor secretly loves eachother and doesn't tell anyone about it, and also Alastor has a secret identity no one else k...
7.3M 302K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...