King of Locusts | ✔

By Aegys-Athena

Lunan Frost was accustomed to the unusual, having been raised by witches for parents that fervently worship t... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Epilogue
The Priestess & The Wizard Part 1
The Priestess & The Wizard Part 2
Gadreel's Fall

Chapter 16

3 0 0
By Aegys-Athena

Lunan stared at Elena.

You're not human, for starters.

He hated how her words shook him through his core, despite his confidence in his humanity. Although many years passed since their deaths, Lunan knew that both his mother and father were human. Magical, but still human.

"Why would you say that? I'm clearly human, Elena," Lunan said.

He was dismayed when she shook her head.

"No, Lunan. You're not," Elena said. "I have proof. I have a copy of the book in my bedroom back home. We should head over there now. Bellara has maintained the illusion for a while and I don't want to tire her out."

"Why should I even trust what you're saying? You've known me for half of my life, and now you're spouting nonsense about me not being human."

Elena laughed sharply, but her eyes reflected sorrow.

"It's because you've known me for half of your life that you should trust me. I'm the only one who has nothing to gain here. Please, Lunan. After I tell you everything, it's fine if you don't want to associate with me. But I'm not going to sit on this information. It's not fair to you," she said.

Lunan scrutinized Elena, and she looked right at him, her arms laying relaxed at her sides. He berated himself. If he was so sure in his humanity, going to her house this final time shouldn't be a problem.

"Alright," he conceded. "I'll come with you."

Relief broke through her expression. Elena called Bellara back, held Lunan's hand in a light grip, and then teleported them to her bedroom.

She released him from her grip once they appeared in the room and went to her desk. She pulled a nondescript book from it and held it out to him.

"I don't know if I should just tell you, or if you should read it yourself," she wondered aloud.

"And what is this, exactly?" he asked, eyeing the book curiously as he noted its lack of a title.

She took a deep breath.

"This, Lunan, is the Prophecy of Abaddon. Your prophecy. I think you should read it for yourself." She placed the book in his hands. He flipped through the blank pages, and was about to complain when she added, "Right. The pages are blank on purpose. You need to enchant your eyes to read the text."

Lunan did so with a flourish, and sat on Elena's bed after she nodded, glowing eyes skimming over the title The Prophecy of Abaddon, King of Locusts.

Its contents froze his blood.

King of Locusts. Destroyer of Worlds. Lord of the Abyss. The destructive angel has many epithets, but is most commonly known as Abaddon, or Apollyon to the Greeks. Wielding his destructive power for either Heaven or Hell, he will raise his scythe and command his army of locusts to do his bidding. He is the angel of destruction, the bringer of balance and resolution.

Abaddon's sheer destructive power prevents his manifestation into the mortal plane without the existence of a host to contain his angelic grace. In order to summon the Destroyer, a boy must be born of a high priestess of either the light or dark faiths and a sorcerer that has mastered the elements. Upon the vessel's conception, in union with Abaddon's dual nature, he must undergo his Light and Dark years. During the Light, innocent to the world and ignorant of his abilities, is when he faces the possibility of destruction by outside forces. In the Dark, the vessel cannot perish, and Abaddon's powers will gradually awaken in the child, beginning to manifest through his angelic markings.

The Dark years cease when the vessel approaches adulthood, during which he must decide whether he will align the angel with Heaven or Hell. Abaddon will awaken in entirety, melding both his and the vessel's natures into one. Failure of the vessel to direct the angelic energy will result in Abaddon's essence destroying both the vessel's body and soul.

Lunan looked up at Elena disbelievingly.

"You think there's an angel inside of me?" he asked. "Do you realize how outlandish that sounds? Where did you even find this junk anyway?"

"It's not junk," Elena protested, taking the book back. "I got it from one of my aunts who practices. Think about it, Lunan. Your parents were mages. From what you've told me in the past, your mother was a high priestess of the Luciferian faith. That checks off on dark. Your father was highly skilled in all elemental magic. Check. You're male. You have magical powers that were kept hidden for half of your life. Unfortunately, your parents died protecting you from an angel that seemed very interested in stopping the prophecy.

"Your powers are unusual for a witch. You can wield the elements despite lacking an affinity for any of them and don't require anything to focus your energy on to cast spells," she explained.

Lunan shook his head. As if mocking him, a warmth welled inside of him as Elena spoke, but he didn't want to believe.

"You can't expect me to believe this...This is all coincidental. My parents were witches and yes my powers are unusual, but that doesn't make me an angel," he deadpanned.

"Things have been happening to you," she countered.

His eyes cut to her. "How did you know?"

"My aunt. When the angel gets close to awakening, you're going to gradually lose control of your powers. He wants out, Lunan. Your birthday is this weekend, and you turn eighteen."

"Who is this aunt of yours?" he asked.

"Another Elena with the gift of foresight," she laughed. "You're not denying what I'm saying now, good."

"I don't want to believe you," he said carefully. "But everything that you're saying is true. I've had dreams about a mysterious man commanding a legion of monsters and he looks exactly like me, but older. My powers shoot out in spurts. I don't want you to be right, but it seems like you are. Why am I just now being told this? Was I just expected to wait for this power to kill me?"

Lunan frowned at the tissue Elena passed him. His cheeks burned when he touched his wet face, and he took it silently.

"That's where what I said at school comes in. There are forces that would rather direct your power for their wishes, those being Azrah and your guardian," she said quietly.

"You're kidding," he whispered to himself. Elena ignored him and continued.

"I don't have definitive proof, but I strongly believe Azrah is an angel. Her energy and power feels so much like yours. I sensed it when we shook hands. Gabriel, well, he's not actually human, either. He's an angel, and he showed me his true form."

"You're kidding," Lunan repeated in a hushed tone.

Elena looked at him pityingly. She slowly sat next to Lunan and watched him carefully. When he didn't flinch from her, she gingerly took his hand in hers.

"I went to your house on a day that I knew you were with Azrah because I was concerned about you. I summoned Bellara and showed your guardian my magic, he showed me his true self, and revealed that his actual name is Gadreel. I researched about him after I left your place, but there's very little information on him, besides that he was known as an angel of war, and apparently taught humanity the first glamours.

"He's a fallen angel, and so I would assume he wants you to use your powers for Hell. He was never clear about his intentions towards you, though. Because Azrah is well, Azrah, I'm assuming she's a regular angel that tried to influence you to choose Heaven. Although, neither should do that; it's not part of your prophecy," Elena muttered the remainder of her statement to herself.

Lunan could hardly bear to look at Elena, the friend he knew for years that he discarded. A sudden sick feeling washed over him, and he held his stomach tightly with the realization that Azrah lied to him. His own guardian, who saved him from that miserable orphanage and gave him hope to live a normal life, knew that wasn't possible and saw him as a pawn.

"You're the only one to tell me the truth," he said.

Elena shied from the hollowness in her friend's voice.

"I have no motives. I don't care what you are, just that you're my friend. Honestly, what hurts the most is that regardless of what decision you make, I won't get to see you anymore." She tried to keep her voice level, but it cracked as she forced the words out.

Elena turned from him. She let her tears fall freely, taking deep breaths between her shuddering sobs. Lunan immediately encased her in his arms.

"I'm sorry, Elena. I'm so stupid to have ever doubted you. I had my reasons for being so easily led astray, but it was never worth abandoning you and our friendship," he said and gave her a tight squeeze.

"I forgive you," she said. "You're my best friend, Lunan. Always."

"Always," he promised. "Angel or not, I'm not going to let anything keep us apart."

***

Author's note: I'd love to know your thoughts about this revelation. Please comment/vote if you're enjoying the story so far!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

128 31 7
She was lost. Couldn't remember a thing except her name, and so, she was sent to the orphanage as no one claimed a missing child. Years pass, Luna le...
4.4K 227 52
This is book two of the series. The Fate of The Luna is the first book. This is not a stand alone book. You will need to read book one. The same warn...
2.5K 106 14
She was different than all the others in her Pack. She was the only one she knew of her kind alive. No family, No friends. Will, she ever show her tr...
77K 2.7K 75
A girl was left on a doorstep when she was only a baby. When she was found by the owners of the house there was also a letter found with her. It told...