Tutoring My Ex

By Zanzan112

"Your mouth may say you hate me," he whispered, "But your hands...they say otherwise." His eyebrows raised po... More

Tutoring My Ex
1 | Tom and Jerry
2 | Memory Lane
3 | Crybaby
4 | Personal Favors
5 | All Over Again
6 | Not So Secret Rendezvous
7 | Beneath
8 | Decisions
9 | Satiate
10 | Broken
11 | Saudade
12 | Desperate
13 | Obscure
14 | Jealousy
15 | Competition
16 | Pity Party
17 | Glass Slipper
18 | Living Nightmare
19 | Threat
20 | Evolution
21 | Touch
22 | Fight
23 | Peek-A-Boo
24 | Blackmail
26 | Almost Is Never Enough
27 | Kiss Me
28 | The Bait
29 | Playing With Fire
30 | Hunt
31 | Action
32 | Self-control
Epilogue | Finale

25 | Rainbow

14.5K 516 127
By Zanzan112

[ DELLA'S POV ]

With a towel wrapped around my persistently damped hair, I made my way into the living room where Luca should be waiting.

"So what did you want to talk about?" I asked as I finally caught sight of his broad shoulders.

However, the boy was too busy paying attention to whatever that was in front of him. His hunched figure having blocked the item, I could not properly view what was so attractive that it made him disregard my presence.

I did a full circle around him and that was when my eyes landed on it. 

They say that the strongest link to sparking a memory was through one of the six senses - not smell, taste or touch, not even sound, but sight. Looking at this influenced me to recall my family, at least the happy version of us.

A photograph.

Luca clutched the solid wooden frame tight in his hand, able to see a reflection of his face in the glass that covered it. He looked past his own eyes, dreary in comparison, and stared upon my childlike face that had been caught in a moment of perfection. It was the happiest memories that hurt the worst, they were the ones that cut the deepest and had the most impact. I was focused on his eyes, his reaction to that captured moment of me with my family that appeared to be a polar opposite of the present. Those brown eyes shined with the twinkle of laughter. Now, they laughed at me. They reminded me of what I once had. 

It reached the point where it was unbearable and I snatched the photograph out of his hold.

Why was it there anyway?

Worse, who put it there? It served no purpose but a mockery to us.

I clutched the frame tight, pressing it hard to my breasts wishing it could disappear in my arms. It was at that moment I realised the reason I never introduced Luca to my family much less brought him here.

I was embarrassed.

Utterly ashamed of my lifestyle that no longer had a small chance of matching his.

Luca's blue eyes focused on my own, they were swimming with regret.

"My apologies. I didn't mean to pry..."

He bit down into his lower lip, the action distracting me for a second.

I sighed. There was no reason to get mad at him. This was not his fault anyway.

"It's fine." I said, putting back the frame to its original spot, only this time it was faced downwards.

He looked at it with a frown. 

My eyes caught sight of other frames lingering around the same area. I couldn't help displaying my surprise at them. 

When did mom have the leisure of doing all of this? She was barely even making it to work on time, unless...no way. He wouldn't spend his time doing something so meaningless to him.

I went to dish out the same treatment to the rest of the pictures. My harsh intentions were stopped by a warm hand slipping into my own.

Pulled to stand in front of him, Luca moved his hand to rest on my hips instead as he whispered, "Do you want to talk about it?"

A lump formed in my throat at the tenderness of his voice.

"No."

"Are you sure?" He prodded carefully.

My eyes fluttered shut. His chest was a form of support for the back of my head while I melted into his sweet embrace.

"That one on the bike, with me wearing a cast around my foot..." I gave him time to find the one I was talking about.

He hummed in response. "What about it, love?"

"I think I was about nine years old at the time," I carried on with my eyes still closed. "My birthday gift was that pink princess bike and I remember being so happy because my parents even got it without training wheels - because you know, those were only for amateurs."

His chest vibrated in humor.

"Suckers they were," He added slyly.

"Indeed." I smiled a little at his consideration.

"Go on," he encouraged.

I let out a sigh. My cheek pressed against the soft material of his shirt. 

"I wrecked it," My voice quivered at the memory. "One day I was riding down the avenue and this fluffy white cat came out of nowhere- ugh, I still remember how my mom scolded me and told me out of anger that I should've just hit the cat instead. That's still the meanest thing I've ever heard her say to this day the moment she saw me start crying in the hospital room where I had been patched up like a voodoo doll after crashing into the neighbour's tree."

"My ankle was twisted in ways that it shouldn't have. I got scratched all over my body and the worst part, I had the biggest and nastiest bump on my forehead that made me look so ugly!"

My heart stuttered at the feeling of a pair of soft lips at the aforementioned spot. Luca kissed it gently saying, "I don't think that could ever be possible."

"A-Anyway...."

"My father wasn't as upset about the situation like my mom was. I mean, of course he worried about my well-being but he always believed in a little potholes here and there will always exist on the road to success. That belief went for me literally when learning to ride my bike I guess. I remember it. That hot summer day. I was recovering and bored out of my mind with the tv shows- that's when he came in the living room with the exact bike I had trashed! You'd think I'd be scared out of my wits to get back on that thing but I couldn't have been more excited. Mom on the other hand..."get rid of it!" Was the first thing she had screamed, followed by calling my father crazy. But he managed to convince her that it was all a part of life's process. During that day towards the evening, that picture was taken, with me having the dumbest grin on my face.''

"Your father must have adored you a lot to spoil you to such an extent." Luca commented.

"He did." I agreed easily.

"Did?"

It was then as I turned in his hold, I had opened my eyes. "Did."

I bit the inside of my lip, cursing myself in my head for my confirmation when that look came across his face. The one that meant he was met with a new challenge, a mystery that he was going to have fun unraveling.

"This one..." I moved on to the next picture that was also filled with joy. "That was at a camping retreat where we'd gone on holiday. You're probably wondering why everyone else is wearing such dark colors while I'm in that bright yellow dress. As you know, I had a fetish for the rainbow when I was younger."

"Well noted."

"No one could tell me my pink ballet flats didn't match with my flaming red dress. Looking back I cringe at my odd behaviour."

"Why? It was cute." Luca said, fingers trying to pinch my cheeks but I slapped them away.

"And my delusions of being royalty? Not to mention you didn't help after calling me a princess."

"If I recall correctly, I called you a dirty princess," I scoffed. "And there's nothing wrong with that mindset, just take a look at me - I'm wearing an invisible crown without even asking for it."

"That is because you are the closest thing to a prince to us." I confessed speaking for the entire world. 

His eyes shined at my compliment. 

He managed to get me back into his hold I had slowly gotten out of during our small bickering.

"Then does that make you my princess?" He smirked.

I quickly shook my head, my eyes vehement in trying to show him that I was telling the truth. Though really, I was not.

He let me off the hook with a squeeze given to my arm. 

"Are you going to finish your story?" 

His interest in this was understandable as I never really talked about my childhood like he did.

"No," I decided. "Looking back on all of this, it just- it makes me sad."

"Why is that?"

"Because everything has changed."

"Change can be good."

"It's not that kind of change Luca. You and I both know this."

"Yes, I know. But just because it's not that kind now it doesn't mean it won't be in the future. You have to live with a positive outlook on life as best as you can, Della. The world is already dark enough that it's dangerous to allow your mind to reflect such a similar shade. Just like that version of you that saw everything in screaming colors, face life head on without conforming yourself. I know it's easier said than done but isn't everything in life that way?" He tipped his head down so he could get a better look at my face.

"Be you Della. Just be you. That's all I could really ask for." He ended, his voice had gotten deeper.

But what if I didn't know who I was? I didn't know how to be your Della anymore, Luca.

As if he was reading my mind, Luca gathered me into a warm embrace. I had no idea I was so cold before he held me.

He was truly amazing.

Completely lost in our own little world, we didn't notice someone had entered until we heard the clearing of a throat.

I knew it was him before I looked.

Luca pushed me away from him as if I had burned him at the sight of my father.

He looked between the two of us nervously, not quite knowing what to do with himself after a minute of silence.

"Allow me to introduce myself sir, I'm Luca Meyers." I watched as he held out his hand to my father who took it a little too roughly for my liking.

I saw Luca wince but the smile on his face was still there. He was trying so hard to play it safe after being caught holding me like he was.

Not a very good first impression.

Though, his thoughts on Luca didn't matter anyway. It was not like I was going to stop seeing him if he wanted me to. 

The thought of him asking me to do such a thing almost made me laugh aloud.

As if he had the right.

"I'm Della's dad." Was the only gruff response.

"I figured," Luca replied. "You two look awfully alike."

Both of our heads snapped in his direction at his blatant lie. All he did was continue to smile. What a suck up...and should I be offended?

Apparently the man before me was not. "I heard that many times while she was growing up. Her mother likes to think she looks more like her though so I let her."

"How considerate of you."

"Thank you," He said, sounding less tense and less ready to chew Luca up. "So what is your relationship with my daughter?" 

How subtle, I thought.

The boy in question turned his head and his eyes finally landed on me, his confidence replaced with helplessness. "Della, what is our relationship? Is it even fitting to call it such?"

He was trying to hint me at lying. More than likely he was worried about my comfort. After all he had barged into my house unnoticed and caused my father to witness our personal display of affection.

"He's my ex-boyfriend. My ex that I'm tutoring." I answered.

Greying eyebrows furrowed together. "You had a boyfriend!- and why would you be tutoring him then if you're not together?"

"Oh, we will be. Together, that is. It's just all a little complicated with other things going on. Now that you've gotten your answer, I'm gonna see him out."

I didn't wait for his reply before ushering Luca who was apologizing profusely on my behalf. 

"Why-How could you do that?!" He sputtered.

"What?" I shrugged. "I thought you wanted us to be together. Meeting the parents is a vital part of the process."

He blinked at me, baffled. "You didn't even admit to us being together."

"We aren't, are we?"

His lips turned down. "Then what are we?"

"I'm still trying to figure that out too. But don't worry, it's definitely somewhere in the middle."

"I don't like being stuck in the middle Della. I like definite answers."

"And I'd like it if you'd trust me," I smiled, taking him by surprise. "I'm just trying what you told me earlier and not be held back. I want you. I do. But I have to make sure life doesn't throw any more curveballs at us first. Plus we have to sort out the ones that have already hit us."

He caught his breath, grabbing onto the back of his head. He still had his eyes fixated on me, a pure look seen. "You're one in a million, Della Anderson."

At that, I knew he understood me.

I tipped on my toes to land a swift kiss to his cheek before rushing inside the house. His pleasantly shocked face was the last thing I saw before I shut the door.

I slapped my hand against my forehead. "Aw, crap. He didn't even tell me what he wanted to talk about."

***

"Where are you taking me?" I asked the same question for the umpteenth time since Luca dragged me out of work. All it took for my boss to let me go was the sight of him that screamed money. The guy might as well have rolled out a red carpet for me too if he wanted to kiss his ass even more. 

"It's a surprise," he said, leading me out of the fast food building and to his outstanding car parked right on the curb. He wasn't driving himself today, I noticed. His chauffeur shuffled to open the backdoor with his tailcoat flailing in the wind, surprised by his young master's guest.

I smiled nonetheless at him.

"Joseph, this is Della. Della meet Joseph, my personal tracker and tattletale."

"Mr. Meyers..." The man mumbled quietly. His cheeks were suddenly kissed pink like a spring rose, the blooming colour unimaginable against his aged skin.

"Get in," Luca commanded gently, ushering me into the car first. 

The car was scented of new leather with a faint trace of a car freshener hanging from the rearview mirror. 

I looked to the front to see Joseph getting inside.

"Cute isn't he?"

"Surprisingly so." 

A man with such muscles and off-putting aura should not be blushing like a school girl at a teenager's comment.

"If you stick around long enough after tonight there will be more to see, trust me."

"What do you mean by that?"

"You'll see."

"Luca!" I snapped.

He faced me with the most mischievous smile.

I was not impressed.

"Don't make me call the police. This can be considered kidnapping, you know." I chastised making Joseph look up at my hard choice of words. I ducked into the all-black interiors out of embarrassment. 

He's probably never heard anyone talk down to Luca like this. 

I had been speaking like this to him all the time but for some reason, at Joseph's stare, I was reminded of Luca's status and naturally felt apologetic.

"Go on ahead," Luca chuckled, seemingly amused by my words.

I huffed before crossing my arms.

With a swift motion, he removed his brand named sunglasses off his face and into the open collar of his black dress shirt. 

As always, I was startled by those electrifying blues.

Even more so by the shameless words that left his mouth afterwards, "Joseph, roll up the partition please."

"As you wish."

My complaint was stuck in my throat and by the time it was ready to come out we had already been separated.

"Why would you do that?" I hit Luca across the shoulder feeling my face burning to a higher degree than Joseph's.

He grabbed a hold of my hand and forced it into my lap. "Because I have something I want to discuss with you. Alone."

"Spill. If it's not worth that embarrassment I swear to god I'm going to-"

"It is! God, why are you so abusive?" He licked his lips following his words.

My eyes froze on them. 

They looked more plump than usual. Fuller, more pink...

Not the time Della!

When my eyes went up back to his he was wearing a smirk. It was as if he knew the dirty thoughts running around in my head.

"I want you to meet my parents," he informed me, face suddenly becoming serious.

"What?"

"Meeting the parents. A vital part of the process remember?"

His eyes were glinting from the excitement. However, there was something else there that reflected the apprehension on my part.

Suddenly I felt very weak and thirsty, my body no longer able to stay upright in the seat.

"I thought about it and realized if I've met your parents it's only fair for me to return the favor."

"This isn't just some favor, Luca. This is big."

"It's just a way of speech, loosen up Della. I already know how big of a deal this is and worse, how much it may affect you. That was why I avoided it all along. But these things cannot be dodged forever."

His hand covered mine, then a little squeeze was given.

I released a deep breath. "Is that why you're dressed so fancy today? Wait- we're not going out to dinner with them are we?"

"Something like that."

"And by that you mean...?"

"We're not exactly going 'out' for dinner since the gathering is at our place. My father's company is launching a new project and it's to celebrate. I told them about you the other day and they said I should invite you."

I gasped. "Does she know-"

"No," he answered, referring to his mother. "But she will soon."

I swallowed, my muscles undeniably tense.

He reached for a bag that I hadn't realized was there from beside him and put it in my lap. It was stylized with a familiar logo: Christian Dior Couture.

Seeing my unwillingness to open the bag, Luca took it upon himself to do so. The most exquisite red dress that I have ever seen was revealed. It was made of soft, satiny fabric, long and loose. A circular, low collar made of diamonds headed the almost ankle-length robe. The split at one leg was the finishing touch. It didn't dare take away from the elegance of the piece but made it more classy.

I loved it.

But I didn't. 

I couldn't begin to imagine how much it had cost. The thing had real diamonds engraved onto it for Christ's sake!

No way was I going to take this.

"Don't make that face, Della. I'm not a big fan of that face." He begged from beside me.

I couldn't help but to look sullen. 

"I thought we agreed to not buying things for each other. Particularly expensive stuff like this."

"It wasn't that expensive." He lied straight through his teeth. 

I gave him a death stare making him retract his statement. "Okay, maaaybe it was a little costly. But you needed a dress for tonight and it didn't help that I sprung this upon you like this. I didn't want you to go into a battlefield  unharmed. I need that beauty and brains of yours."

The boy sure knew how to butter his way out of trouble.

My fingertips traced the fabric of the clothing. "It's just too much Luca."

"Just for tonight. Please. You don't have to keep it if you don't want to," He promised.

"Though I would be happy if you did. I spent a hell of alot of time searching for a dress that'd suit your taste."

"Now you're making me look like the bad guy."

He laughed.

He patted my head, "Is that so?" He cooed as if he were talking to a toddler.

I played along with his game. "Yes, daddy."

His movement stopped and his pupils stilled.

The laugh came from me like a newly sprung leak - timid at first, stopping and starting. I was far from done when I saw him blow out a shaky breath.

"Don't. And I repeat, don't, ever do that again."

I was struggling to talk. "You looked- you looked so scared!"

Luca shook his head slowly. "Shocked, maybe. Scared, far from it."

"Oh really?" I teased.

"Really," He filled the space between us by leaning forward. "And I can assure you that may turn into something different the next time around but there won't be a next time will there?"

"We'll have to see won't we?"

"Don't push your limits." He warned, sounding a little angry.

"Don't tempt me." I argued back.

He tugged at the collar of his dress shirt as if it was suffocating him before heaving a long breath. "Back to business. The event starts in two hours. I'm going to take you to a friend of mine to get ready and then we'll head over to the house. Sounds good?"

I nodded. 

I wouldn't have known I was squeezing the life out of my hand if Luca didn't take it in his own.

"You're going to do great." He assured me with the most comforting smile.

I had no other choice but to believe him.

***

A/N: How do you think Luca's parents are going to react to Della? Especially his mother?

I know I say this quite often but I have to, thanks for reading this book. :-)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

92.6K 1.8K 50
Alexis was heartbroken when August, her best friend of ten years, humiliated her in front of the whole school. August leaves school the same year and...
138K 4.5K 46
#3 of the Devilman series. Could be read as a stand alone. He came to our school as a new student from Romania this year and I didn't put much thoug...
14.1K 793 45
"You look so gorgeous, ravishing and smashing Mackenna." He groaned and dipped his face into my neck. The way he said my name was so hot, sexy and da...
408K 12.9K 58
You wouldn't imagine the shock on Maddison Linden's face when her best friend Cassie dares her to steal the hottest guy at their schools sweater on a...