Psycho Pass: Redemption (UPDA...

By meli-r

In a society where one's psychological state is quantified by the Psycho Pass-a numerical definition of the s... More

Psycho Pass: Redemption
1 (UPDATED)
2 (UPDATED)
3 (UPDATED)
4 (UPDATED)
5 (UPDATED)
6 (UPDATED)
7 (UPDATED)
8 (UPDATED)
9 (UPDATED)
10 (UPDATED)
11 (UPDATED)
12 (UPDATED)
13 (UPDATED)
14 (UPDATED)
15 (UPDATED)
16 (UPDATED)
17 (UPDATED)
18 (UPDATED)
20 (UPDATED)
21 (UPDATED)

19 (UPDATED)

185 6 2
By meli-r

Sasayama and Touko moved briskly through the echoing corridors of Oso Academy, Yashiro following closely behind. Touko's voice trembled as she gasped, "That's him."

Walking down the hallway, Touma was flanked by two teachers. His lips curved into an inscrutable smile as he animatedly explained a topic to them.

"That lunatic," Sasayama muttered under his breath, his teeth gritted in frustration.

Touko whispered, her voice filled with disbelief, "How... how can he just walk around like nothing happened?"

"I trust a woman's instinct," Sasayama declared as he pulled out his dominator and took a step forward. "Hey."

The teachers' voices hushed to murmurs, their words reverberating through the tranquil corridor. Touma paused, one hand casually resting in his dark pants' pocket, and turned toward one of the teachers, offering a polite bow.

"Hey, scumbag!" Sasayama's voice rang out, echoing through the hallway. The teachers turned their attention to him, their expressions mixed with confusion and concern. "Are you Touma Kouzaburou?"

"Yes," Touma responded quietly, his face retaining a stoic composure.

Sasayama raised his arm, aiming the dominator at Touma. A group of students had gathered around, some moving forward, others stepping back, their voices hushed murmurs.

"What are you doing?!" one of the teachers questioned.

Crime coefficient is 23. Not a target for enforcement action. The trigger will be blocked.

Sasayama frowned, looking from his weapon to Touma, who stood several meters away, his lips curving for a moment.

"Did you kill her father?" Sasayama inquired.

"What are you talking about?" Touma raised an eyebrow, shaking his head slightly.

"I asked you a simple question. Did you kill him?" Sasayama stepped forward.

"No," Touma's response was swift and unwavering. "How dare you?"

Touko's involuntary sob resonated, and Touma's brown eyes settled on her impassively. Sasayama glanced at her; she had lowered her head, her brows furrowing, and her eyes closing. In front of Yashiro, a girl approached Sasayama, then moved toward Touko, gripping her hand tightly.

As Touma's gaze scanned the hallway, it abruptly paused on Yashiro, who had been observing behind the commotion, her attire blending seamlessly with the other students. However, as he noticed her presence, Touma blinked. His eyebrows subtly twitched, and his eyes focused more intently. Yashiro lifted her head slightly, her heart quickening.

Crime coefficient is 21. Not a target for enforcement action. The trigger will be blocked.

Sasayama clicked his tongue, lowering his arm and striding forward until he stood right in front of Touma, his fingers curling around the collar of Touma's black vest with a restrained but evident grip. Touma met Sasayama's gaze, his expression unyielding, but his nose twitched in response to the lingering scent of cigarettes in the air.

"Stop! Why are you doing this?" pleaded another teacher, reaching out and gripping Sasayama's forearm, desperately attempting to intervene. "Let go of him!"

Sasayama forcefully pushed the teacher aside with the hand clutching the dominator.

"It was you, wasn't it?" Sasayama asserted. "The monkey toys."

Touma maintained his composure, lowering his head calmly, his eyes focused on the firm grip Sasayama had on his white shirt and red tie.

"Grabbing an innocent civilian like this can get any inspector in trouble," Touma stated in a soft voice.

"I'm no inspector, you piece of shit. I'll gather all the evidence available to rip you to pieces."

"Keep barking and running where others point you to go. You're obviously a dog, not a wolf," Touma's lips curled into a faint smile as he raised an eyebrow briefly, leaning slightly toward Sasayama, his expression growing more serious. "I doubt you've ever ripped anyone to pieces."

Yashiro's eyes widened slightly as she observed Touma's calm demeanor, his hands casually tucked into his pants pockets.

"Wanna bet?" Sasayama grinned, revealing white teeth. "I've torn apart so many criminals. Shall I do it now?"

Touma's grin widened, his gaze locked onto Sasayama's.

"This is defamation. You will be sued," frowned one of the teachers.

"Yeah, good luck with that," Sasayama commented.

"If you keep this up, you will jeopardize the entire school's stress level!" warned the other teacher, waving one hand.

"Go ahead, you jerk. I have nothing left to lose. You think you're some kind of artist, but you're just a pathetic crazy murderer. Does harming people weaker than you arouse and electrify you? Tell me, you perverted psychopath," Sasayama gritted his teeth, making Touma slightly tilt his head to the side, his expression darkening. "What? Are you getting riled up? What you're waiting for? Come on, show me what you do. Who you really are."

Touma's corner of his mouth curved up for a second. At that moment, footsteps echoed down the corridor, and Yashiro saw Kougami's figure coming from another corridor behind Touma. Pulling out his dominator, he read Touma's crime coefficient, but the gun remained motionless.

"Sasayama!" Kougami approached them, putting his dominator away.

Finally, Sasayama released Touma with a push.

"Touma-sensei, are you all right?" a teacher asked.

"Yes, I'm fine. Just a bit of excitement from a crazy hound of the Public Safety Bureau," Touma said with a brief smile. He adjusted his tie beneath his vest, then turned his gaze back to Sasayama. "Witnessing his madness has been fun."

Touma looked at Yashiro, and his smile broadened for a few seconds.

"Are you Touma Kouzaburou?" Kougami asked.

Slowly, Touma turned around to face a black-haired man.

"Yes."

"I'm Inspector Kougami Shinya from the Criminal Investigation Department. We need to ask you some questions about the recent murder of Altoromagi Abele," he displayed his holographic ID.

Touma's eyebrows shot up, and his eyes widened.

"That... that can't be right. It was only yesterday that we were talking. There must be some kind of mistake," Touma replied, his voice genuinely reflecting his surprise.

"Please come with us," Kougami said, exchanging a glance with Sasayama.

"Of course. I'd be happy to assist you with your investigation," Touma blinked a couple of times, looking at Kougami and giving a hesitant nod.

Kougami nodded, gesturing for them to follow. Touma glanced back at Sasayama, who had not budged. Before catching up with Kougami, Touma exchanged a glance with Yashiro, who fixed a scrutinizing gaze on him as he walked away. Teachers in the hallway signaled for the students to disperse, but Touko and Yashiro remained.

"If he's not responsible, then who in the world is? How could he keep brutally slaughtering innocent people? What are we to him? It's as if we're chasing a monster," Touko's voice quivered, her eyes shimmering with tears.

"You know why people call me crazy hound?" Sasayama approached them. "Because I'm good at catching bad guys? No. It's because I'm crazy for sniffing after them. We'll take care of things here. You should go home. We won't give up. I promise. We'll find him and make him beg for forgiveness. We'll make him say that he's sorry. Just wait a bit more."

Touko looked up at him, blinked away her tears, and managed a smile. Suddenly, her phone rang.

"It's my aunt. I have to take this. Excuse me," Touko said as she pulled out her phone and walked away.

"Are you okay?" Sasayama turned his attention to Yashiro with a slight frown.

"Do you really think he's involved?" Yashiro turned her gaze toward the two men walking down the corridor.

"My gut says it's possible," Sasayama responded.

Suddenly, Kougami and Touma turned around, stopping in their tracks. They were several meters ahead, about to turn into another corridor.

"I believe you," Yashiro stated.

Sasayama's eyes widened, and his lips parted.

"Sasayama," Kougami's voice echoed.

Without breaking eye contact with her, Sasayama slowly turned his head until he faced the two men. Touma's hand rested on his pants pocket, and his narrowed eyes met Yashiro's. She slightly raised her head, held her breath, and finally turned away, leaving Sasayama with his mouth barely open, speechless.

Yashiro strolled through the school's echoing corridors, exchanging polite greetings with passing students. The rhythmic tapping of her shoes on the wooden floor filled the silence.

Finally, she paused before a panoramic window that framed the school's sprawling grounds. Beyond the glass, the academy's manicured gardens extended under the embrace of a bright blue sky.

Touko was engaged in conversation with a man and a woman who towered over her. Yashiro recognized them as her aunt and uncle. They spoke with a school staff member before making their way toward the exit. A faint smile played on Yashiro's lips as she observed the reunion.

But as footsteps approached from behind, her smile faded, and her gaze dropped. The echo of those footsteps, steady and unhurried, came to a halt right beside her.

"You've brought the cavalry," a deep, enigmatic voice resonated in her ears.

Beside her, Makishima stood with his arms crossed over his beige vest, his gaze fixed on the serene garden.

"It wasn't me," Yashiro sighed, her voice soft.

"If you knew she would lead them here, why go to the zoo?" Makishima turned his attention to her, narrowing his eyes.

"I couldn't let her see her father," Yashiro raised her voice, her frown deepening.

Makishima's curiosity danced in his eyes, and he questioned, "Why not?"

"Because otherwise, she would be hospitalized now... or worse."

Makishima's gaze lingered on Yashiro for a moment, assessing her.

"The way you inspire others to fight against the inevitable is touching. Like an edelweiss in the snow."

"A what?" Yashiro looked at him.

Makishima allowed himself a faint smile.

"It's a resilient alpine flower found in the harshest, snow-covered mountain regions. This remarkable flower has evolved unique adaptations to survive in extreme cold, like growing beneath the surface to shield itself from the biting frost or withstanding freezing temperatures. I'm curious whether she can survive the coming winter as well."

Footsteps echoed down a long, sterile corridor as Ginoza approached a brown-haired man. Touma Kouzaburou, dressed in dark pants and a black vest over a red tie and white dress shirt, was standing beside Kougami.

"You are Touma Kouzaburou, aren't you? Are you here to testify? I'm Inspector Ginoza Nobuchika."

"I'm Touma Kouzaburou," he bowed slightly. "Nice to meet you."

"This way, please," Ginoza motioned for him to follow.

Kougami stepped aside, allowing Ginoza to guide Touma through the labyrinthine corridors. Kougami's eyes tracked Touma's every move as they walked away.

When they reached the interrogation room, Touma entered slowly. The room was lit with a single, harsh overhead light, and its sterile walls gave it a cold, clinical feel. A camera stood sentinel in one corner.

Ginoza, seated at a plain metal table, met Touma's gaze with a stern expression. Touma, hands still tucked into his pants pockets, moved forward, unbuttoning his black vest with a calm, measured grace.

"All right. Let's begin," Ginoza said.

In the lab, Karanomori offered a cigarette to Sasayama as they watched the interrogation through a monitor. Behind them, Kougami frowned momentarily at the smell. Masaoka stood nearby, arms folded over his trench coat, watching alongside Kunizuka, who occupied the only black couch.

"That disgusting scumbag," Sasayama muttered.

"Calm down," Kougami said.

"If he had a hand in it, he's walking around freely in the PSB," Sasayama continued, his head slightly lowered with eyes fixed on the screen.

"I'm shocked too. His level of confidence," Kougami glanced at Touma, then gestured toward another screen. "But look at this. He has no criminal record. His hue is clear."

"Name: Touma Kouzaburou. Resident identification number..." Ginoza spoke, reading information from a hologram projected above his wrist.

"Please, let's cut to the chase. We are all busy people," Touma interjected with a calm demeanor, one leg crossed over the other, hands clasped on his thigh. "You want to know if I killed Altoromagi Abele or saw someone doing it. Isn't that right?"

Ginoza looked down for a moment and turned off the hologram, resting his arm on the table.

"Well then, shall we get right into it? Even if it's impossible to estimate the exact time of death due to the plastination process, he is presumed to have been killed the night after he attended a school anniversary event. Where were you? What were you doing at that time? He was last seen with you at the event, according to our investigation."

"The discussion about a charity project had everyone engrossed. He left the room soon after."

"Everyone?" Ginoza furrowed his brow for a second, adjusting his glasses.

"Yes, Shimizu Jiro and other people joined our conversation."

"Did he say where he was going, or who he would see?"

"He simply apologized and mentioned some business he needed to attend to. I didn't pay much attention, considering his status as a well-known lawyer."

"Did you hear anything unusual in the hallway?" Ginoza questioned further.

"I'm not sure," Touma's brows furrowed as he momentarily looked down. "I don't recall any loud or strange noises."

"I heard that Altoromagi Abele was the head of a charity organization that took you out of Ogishima when you were fourteen. You know him, don't you?"

"Yes, he helped me settle in Tokyo and get into school. Although we had our differences when I was younger, he was like a father to me. I'm very grateful."

"Do you know if he had any enemies or recent conflicts with anyone?"

"Not that I can recall. He never caused trouble for anyone, treating everyone equally. He had a warm-hearted nature and was especially passionate about his work. The fact that he used his wealth to help those in need always brought him immense joy. It's hard to believe... that such a kind-hearted person is gone," Touma's eyes glistened on the verge of tears. He closed them briefly, sighed, and lowered his head.

"What he says aligns with what Kirino-san shared with us," Kougami noted in the lab.

"I think the man we're looking for is a power/control-oriented killer. He must be enjoying getting us all puzzled," Masaoka commented.

"He provoked this crazy hound here. I'll track him down, no matter what," Sasayama declared as he extinguished his cigarette in an ashtray on Karanomori's desk.

"So, you have nothing else to tell us?" Ginoza continued, casually clasping his fists together on the table.

"I've shared all that I know truthfully," Touma responded.

"This information will suffice for now," Ginoza stood up, motioning for Touma to do the same as they exited the room. "Thank you for your cooperation."

"Feel free to reach out to me if you need anything else," Touma replied with a smile, bowing slightly.

A few minutes after the interview concluded, Ginoza made his way to the lab, where his team was still assembled. Karanomori swiveled in her chair as she heard the door open and watched him walk toward them.

"He seems very normal," Ginoza remarked with a nod.

"Have you ever met a psychopath who admits they're insane, Gino?" Sasayama leaned against the desk.

"Still, why would he voluntarily come to the Public Safety Bureau headquarters if he were guilty?" Kougami frowned, waving one hand and briefly raising his head. "Many people don't even bother showing up for witness interviews. I don't find him suspicious."

"A simple record of his crime coefficient is as telling as a signed confession," Ginoza stated, nodding toward one of the screens displaying Touma's profile.

"She said she believed me," Sasayama whispered, looking down.

"What?" Ginoza frowned, turning to him.

"You mean Takahashi Yashiro?" Kougami raised an eyebrow. "Is that what this is about?"

"Takahashi?" Karanomori frowned as she leaned forward, removing her cigarette from her lips. "Rings a bell."

"Do you remember the Takahashi case from three years ago? She's his daughter," explained Masaoka.

"Oh, that's right! Now I remember. But what does she have to do with this case?" Karanomori leaned back in her seat, crossing one leg over the other.

"Good question. Sasayama, why did she tell you that?" Kougami inquired.

"I don't know. Just as I was about to ask her, she left. Maybe you scared her off with your yelling in the middle of the hallway," Sasayama replied, folding his arms.

"After the scene you created, I doubt she'd be afraid of me," Kougami waved one hand, resting the other on his hip.

"Come on, cut me some slack—we were just getting chummy," Sasayama said, giving a nonchalant shrug and shaking his head. "Gotta say, he really got my goat. He's a tough cookie, all right. There's just something about him—I can't put my finger on it."

"What scene?" Ginoza's voice echoed, making them look at him. "What did you do now?"

Kunizuka smiled and closed her eyes.

"Let's just set that aside and focus on the case," Kougami said as he walked toward the screen, his voice serious. However, a faint smile appeared on his face as he exchanged a glance with Sasayama.

"We should run a background check on the other man who was in the same room and question him to see if his story matches," Masaoka suggested.

"Good call. It appears his name is Shimizu Jiro," Ginoza added.

Swiveling in her seat, Karanomori began typing on the keyboard until a window with the profile of a man with short black hair and dark eyes popped up on a screen. Ginoza approached with folded arms, standing next to Kougami.

"Shimizu Jiro, 41 years old, is also a teacher at Oso Academy," Karanomori reported, her fingers dancing over the keyboard. "His educational background shows that he graduated with honors from the Faculty of Education at the University of Tokyo. He has been teaching at Oso Academy for the past 15 years and has been the head of the History department for the past 5 years."

"What can we find out about his recent activities—anything unusual?" Ginoza frowned.

Karanomori continued scrolling down the screen. "There is no record of previous criminal activity. The latest hue check indicates a healthy life."

Kougami leaned in, intrigued. "Healthy life? Could this be a false front?"

"We can't rule that out," Ginoza nodded in agreement. "Let's schedule a visit to Oso Academy and have a face-to-face conversation with Shimizu Jiro. Shion, coordinate with the school administration. We need to question him about the night of Altoromagi's disappearance and see if there's anything he might be hiding."

Karanomori acknowledged the orders with a quick nod and a few clicks of her keyboard, "I'll arrange a meeting with him at the academy this afternoon."

Ginoza, thinking further, turned to Kunizuka, who was sitting on the couch. "Yayoi, check the city's security cameras and scanners for any unusual activity on the night of the event. Particularly, focus on the exit area. Let's see if we can spot anything that might give us a lead."

Kunizuka nodded and stood up. Ginoza looked at his team once more. "Let's keep our focus on gathering information for now. We're on the right track."

Yashiro found herself strolling through the serene school courtyard, a secluded oasis from the bustling corridors. She spotted a man, a figure of authority, with raven-black hair and piercing, contemplative eyes. His tailored suit hinted at his professionalism, giving him an air of dignity amidst the peaceful surroundings.

As she approached him, Yashiro began, "Excuse me, Shimizu-sensei?"

The man turned to face her, his gaze steady but inquisitive.

"Yes, how may I assist you?" he responded, waiting for her to continue.

Yashiro nodded thoughtfully. "You see, I've always been deeply intrigued by history, particularly the rich history of our school. I've heard that you're the head of the History department, and I thought you might be the ideal person to enlighten me."

Shimizu's smile grew warmer. "Indeed, I am. It's always a pleasure to encounter students with a genuine passion for history."

Yashiro leaned in slightly, as if sharing a confidential thought. "Absolutely. Speaking of history, I couldn't help but wonder about Altoromagi Abele. He was among the distinguished guests at our recent anniversary event, wasn't he?"

Shimizu's interest was piqued. "Ah, yes, Altoromagi Abele. He's a renowned lawyer and a prominent figure in the world of charitable endeavors. His presence at our event was indeed an honor."

"That's quite fascinating. I've heard so much about him, particularly from my friend, who happens to be his daughter. She speaks very highly of her father."

Shimizu's smile remained friendly. "I'm not surprised. He has made remarkable contributions to our community through his charitable organization. It's always inspiring to witness individuals who create positive change."

Yashiro nodded in agreement. "Absolutely. It must be a matter of great pride for our school to host such distinguished guests. I was curious, though, do you happen to know if he had any specific plans for the evening or if he left the event early? I was informed that you had a conversation with him, and I was hoping to inquire about his charitable projects. Unfortunately, I couldn't locate him."

Shimizu contemplated her question. "I wasn't privy to his exact plans for the evening. To the best of my knowledge, he left earlier due to some pressing matters. I'm not aware of his subsequent activities. Altoromagi is known for his commitment to his work, so his early departure didn't come as a surprise."

"Indeed, his dedication is remarkable. I was simply curious because I'm aware of a recent project he's been involved in, and I found it rather intriguing," Yashiro responded.

"Yes, he frequently visits remote areas of the country to aid those in need. His idealism is truly admirable," Shimizu remarked.

"Do you share that admiration for his idealism?" Yashiro asked.

Shimizu's expression grew contemplative. "I do, to an extent. His desire to assist those who have chosen to live outside our conventional moral framework is commendable. I used to believe that individuals are born with the freedom to choose, but I've come to understand that freedom must be regulated when it threatens harm to oneself or others."

Yashiro raised an eyebrow. "So, do you believe those who've ventured outside our society should be coerced into returning because they pose a risk to themselves and others?"

Shimizu nodded, his tone earnest. "It's a nuanced matter. Those who opt to reside beyond our boundaries often confront dangers and uncertainties."

"But doesn't that contradict the very essence of personal freedom and individual choice? Shouldn't individuals retain autonomy over their lives, even if it means residing beyond the established system?"

Shimizu sighed softly. "It's a delicate equilibrium between personal freedom and societal stability. Sibyl has proven to be the most effective means of preserving order and averting criminality. Those who depart from it are more susceptible to influence by criminal elements and may, regrettably, become threats themselves."

Yashiro's gaze intensified, her skepticism evident. "And what about those who aren't inherently criminal? Shouldn't they possess the right to determine their path without being compelled to rejoin a society they've renounced?"

Shimizu hesitated briefly, then responded with conviction. "We must prioritize the greater good. Personal freedoms, left unchecked, can lead to turmoil and unpredictability. It's only through guidance and structure that we can ensure a harmonious society. Occasionally, individuals must make sacrifices for the collective good. It's the price we pay for a tranquil and orderly world. I believe true freedom is achieved when we accept that our freedom must be circumscribed for our well-being and that of others. We must acknowledge our imperfections and the impossibility of an ideal existence."

"Is that the aspect of Altoromagi that you admire?" Yashiro asked.

Shimizu chuckled softly. "Oh, no. Quite the opposite. His idealism is what perplexes me the most. He has always held that society shouldn't dictate an individual's fate, allowing those he assists to decide their own destinies. That's where our perspectives diverge. But I don't believe we've been properly introduced. What is your name?"

Yashiro extended a polite bow. "I'm Takahashi Yashiro."

"Ah, Takahashi-san," Shimizu nodded with a glimmer of recognition. "Touma-kun spoke very highly of you."

"Do you know him?" Yashiro asked.

"He's a close friend of mine. Perhaps you should discuss Altoromagi Abele with him instead."

"Why is that?"

"Well, it was he who introduced me to Altoromagi," Shimizu replied.

Yashiro's lips parted for a moment. "He did?"

"Yes, indeed. He displayed a keen interest in Altoromagi's charitable endeavors, much like yourself. Regrettably, Altoromagi had to depart."

"I see. Thank you, Shimizu-sensei. I was simply curious about his visit to our school. I hope I didn't impose."

Shimizu chuckled softly. "Not at all. If you excuse me, I have an appointment. But it was a pleasure talking with you."

As Yashiro left her conversation with Shimizu Jiro behind, she made her way to the school library. It was a sanctuary of quietude, permeated by the familiar scent of old books. As she stepped into the hushed space, her gaze wandered across the rows of bookshelves. To her astonishment, it fell upon Makishima Shougo.

There he sat, occupying a small table in a lit corner of the library, fully engrossed in a game of chess. What struck her as peculiar was the absence of an opponent; he played alone. His eyes remained fixed on the chessboard, and his fingers moved the pieces with an almost hypnotic precision. It was a scene that caught Yashiro entirely off guard.

"Playing chess alone?" the words escaped her lips before she could think.

Makishima did not lift his gaze from the chessboard, but a subtle, enigmatic smile graced his lips. "Chess is a game I find most beguiling when played in solitude. The true challenge lies in outsmarting oneself, wouldn't you agree?"

"Then there's absolutely no reason to turn down a game, is there? After all, you're your own greatest opponent."

Without hesitation, Yashiro deftly pulled out a chair from a nearby table and seated herself, her eyes now locked onto the chessboard before them. Makishima, momentarily surprised by her audacity, arched an eyebrow as he finally shifted his gaze from the board to her.

"Very well, then," he began, deftly resetting the chess pieces on the board. "Perhaps you can help me find the challenge I seek."

His eyes widened as he observed Yashiro's sudden, contemplative expression. A faint frown creased her brow as she scrutinized the chessboard, her fingers hovering momentarily before she made her move. Across from her, Makishima's fingers glided across the chessboard with the fluidity of a seasoned grandmaster, executing his moves with precision.

"I went to see a man who happened to be with Touma and Altoromagi," Yashiro commented, making a thoughtful move. "A teacher from this school."

Makishima raised an eyebrow. "How did you know that?"

"I asked around," she responded. "He doesn't even know Altoromagi is dead. I bet Touma used him. He sure knew the police would link him to the victim this time."

"How?"

"Because of their history. Altoromagi Abele gave him the chance to leave Ogishima, his hometown. Seeing the possibility of being linked, Touma made sure to have someone to corroborate the facts so that he wouldn't be suspected," Yashiro explained.

"It's hard to believe he would scheme that."

"He's toying with everyone right now. He revels in self-congratulation, and that's how he will get caught."

"How is this operation supposed to unfold? Is it top secret? I suppose I'm on a need-to-know basis. That's understandable. Trust is a rare commodity, after all. Well, I wouldn't trust me either," Makishima grinned, his eyes narrowing for a moment as he looked at her. "You see, once I achieve my goals, I could simply eliminate you."

"Then I'd have to figure out how to eliminate you first," Yashiro replied calmly.

"Well, there's a difference. If I'm no longer here, you won't get what you want. You need me."

Yashiro's expression grew more serious. "I have a feeling it works both ways. And don't forget, Touma is a wildcard in all of this. He may have some strong opinions about your actions," she said, causing Makishima's smile to fade.

"Allies need not share a cause, but rather a common enemy," he stated.

The game continued, each move a calculated dance of strategy and wit. Far from them, as Touma began his class, he strolled through the classroom filled with girls, distributing exam papers until he reached the end of the row. There, at the very end, an empty seat caught his eye.

His typically composed expression faltered for a moment, and his smile waned. The silence around him was broken by a concerned voice. One of the students raised her hand and asked, "Touma-sensei, when will Shiro-san be back? What happens if she can't take the exam?"

Touma considered the question, his gaze briefly returning to the vacant desk. With a reassuring smile, he replied, "Don't worry. The school has its policies. If Takahashi-san misses this exam, there will likely be a makeup test scheduled for her."

After handing out the remaining papers, he made his way to his own desk at the front of the classroom. As he settled into his chair, he carefully placed the incomplete exam paper with Yashiro's name on it on his desk. His gaze fixed on it, his expression distant, as if lost in thought. Then, he pulled a book out of his bag and started to read.

While the students were taking the exam, a game of chess was still in progress in the school library. None of the players noticed the passage of time, concentrating on the pieces in front of them. In a pivotal moment, Makishima made a move that changed the course of the game, seizing control. Yashiro's eyes widened as she realized the impending defeat. Her fingers hesitated above the board. One more move, and he will have her cornered. Finally, she conceded, "I resign."

Makishima leaned back in his chair, a victorious grin tugging at the corners of his lips. "Well, I must admit, I've never had such an enjoyable game before. You could have won if you hadn't been so impatient for victory. You had a brilliant strategy in the making, but your eagerness got the best of you. You made some exceptional moves. In fact, there was one particular play you executed flawlessly, almost throwing me off my game. You had me on the ropes for a moment there."

Yashiro arched an eyebrow. "Really? Which move was that?"

Makishima's lips curled into a playful grin. "You see, I've always been fond of the Sicilian Defense, and your choice to counter with the Najdorf Variation was both unexpected and brilliant. It nearly disrupted my entire strategy. How did you anticipate that move? It was a rather unexpected choice."

Yashiro met his gaze, her expression serious. "I've noticed you tend to underestimate your opponents, blinded by your desire for recognition. Although, I guess it's not surprising, considering you're always looking to stand out."

Makishima chuckled softly, the corners of his eyes crinkling as his gaze remained locked on Yashiro's features.

"You have a keen eye for both the game and its players," he commented, his voice a measured tone. "Perhaps there's more fun to be had."

"Yeah, let's give that back," she sighed.

Yashiro rose from her seat, her eyes lingering on the chessboard for a fleeting moment, as she contemplated the exchange they had just shared, and straightened her posture.

In a near mirroring of her movements, Makishima gracefully joined her. He moved with an almost choreographed precision, collecting each chess piece and returning it to its designated spot in the wooden box. His actions were deliberate, each piece handled with care.

The silence enveloped them as the final piece found its place, the soft click of the box closing punctuating the end of their match. Makishima secured the box under his arm, and they left the corner of the library, the chessboard returning to its solitude amidst the old books and quiet shelves.

After the exam had concluded in Touma's class, and students began chatting amongst themselves, he remained seated at his desk, engrossed in some administrative work. The classroom buzzed with the chatter of students.

As the class neared its end, another teacher, Shimizu Jiro, quietly opened the door and approached Touma's desk. Touma did not turn to look at him. Shimizu leaned in slightly, speaking in a hushed tone to avoid being overheard by the students.

"Touma-kun, how are you holding up? I heard about that incident with a police officer from the Public Safety Bureau earlier today in the hallway," Shimizu asked with genuine concern in his voice. "Rumors are spreading among the staff about an altercation, and we're all concerned about the potential stress it could cause in the school."

Touma's expression remained composed as he replied, "I appreciate your concern. It was a misunderstanding, nothing more. No need to worry. The situation has been resolved."

Shimizu nodded, still speaking quietly. "Glad to hear that, but do keep in mind, students are quite sensitive to such matters. We must maintain a calm and secure environment for their studies."

Shimizu gazed at him, his body sitting perfectly upright with his head tilted slightly to one side. He leaned a little closer to him, clenching and unclenching his fist for a moment and then clasping his hands together in front of him.

"Have you heard the news about Altoromagi?"

"Yes."

Shimizu rubbed his mouth and chin with one hand for a few seconds and turned away, his wide eyes focused on the blackboard. "I can't believe it. We were just talking to him yesterday."

"Is this the best time to discuss this?" Touma paused the movement of his pen for a moment, not taking his eyes off a sheet of paper.

"The detectives came to ask me about him and you," Shimizu sighed.

"What did you tell them?"

"Well, what can I tell them? Many of us talked to Altoromagi before he left, and no one saw or heard anything strange. Did they interview you too?" Shimizu looked back at him.

"Yes, I volunteered. I can't imagine what his family must be going through," Touma sighed softly, raising his eyebrows for a moment.

"Come to think of it, someone else asked me about this. I didn't see it as odd at the time," Shimizu frowned for a moment.

"Another detective?"

"Not really. It was before them. A student at this school. She wanted to know where Altoromagi went after the event. She couldn't ask him about some charity project she was interested in and wasn't even aware of his death."

"This was indeed unexpected for everyone," Touma commented.

"Did she ask you about him?" Shimizu asked.

Touma stopped the movement of his pen, frowning slightly. "No. Why?"

"Well, before my meeting with the detectives, I suggested she seek you out to ask you about Altoromagi's projects since you and she share the same interest. I guess it doesn't matter now," Shimizu's brows furrowed for a moment, and he shook his head.

"It's a shame. Did she tell you her name?"

"You mentioned her once. Takahashi Yashiro."

Touma narrowed his eyes for a second and raised his gaze. "Yes, indeed. And you say she didn't know of Altoromagi's death?"

"Yes, I believe so."

Touma raised an eyebrow, the click of his pen drowned out by the growing murmur of students as they began to leave the classroom. Some greeted Shimizu, and the two teachers soon followed suit, stepping into the bustling hallway.

"Thank you for bringing this to my attention," Touma replied with a slight bow. He watched Shimizu walk away down the hallway, his smile slowly fading.

As he was about to turn around, Touma's eyes locked with Rikako's. She was hurrying down a nearby hallway towards him.

"Have you seen Yashiro?" she asked, her tone urgent.

Touma paused, his brow furrowing momentarily at her use of Yashiro's first name.

"Yashiro...?" he mused. "No. You look quite concerned. Don't tell me you're suddenly worried about someone else's well-being. It appears you do have a heart after all. What's troubling you? Cat got your tongue?"

"The police were here. They're looking for you," Rikako said, her frown deepening as she shook her head and waved her hand dismissively. "How can you be so composed?"

Touma pursed his lips for a moment before leaning in and lowering his voice. "Mind your language and keep your voice down."

"Like hell I will. Bringing her into this wasn't part of the plan," she muttered.

Touma's expression tightened, his voice taking on a more serious tone. "I don't know what you mean. Elaborate."

"Yashiro," she blurted out. Touma's lips tightened. "I saw her arrive with the police. Don't tell me you didn't know. Exposing her to all of this could cause her serious harm."

"Perhaps she's stronger than we think," Touma said, his voice softening as he narrowed his eyes.

Strolling down a quiet corridor, Makishima's eyes remained locked on Yashiro's features. Their footsteps echoed softly, mingling with the distant chatter of students as they passed a group of girls engrossed in animated conversation.

Yashiro's expression shifted, her eyes momentarily distant as if navigating the labyrinth of her own thoughts. The world around her blurred briefly, and Makishima could not help but discern a shadow on her face, a facet of her he had not previously glimpsed.

"Have you ever felt like you're cursed?" Yashiro's voice emerged, a tender murmur. Her gaze remained locked onto Makishima's dark purple tie. "That no matter what you do or say... you can't get away."

"From your father?" Makishima asked, his tone gentle, tilting his head slightly as he met her gaze.

"From yourself," she admitted, her voice barely audible as they moved aside to let a pair of students pass. "Forget it. I can't talk about this in public."

Makishima observed her in the corridor as they continued walking.

"You don't have that luxury," he responded softly as he matched her pace.

"That's why I've grown accustomed to weaving lies, concealing the truth from everyone... except myself."

Makishima regarded her with a knowing look, as they continued their journey down the corridor.

"You only have to wear a mask in the presence of others," he affirmed, a solemnity in his voice. "But when you're with me, you don't need to hide anything."

As they continued walking, Makishima abruptly halted, causing both of them to come to a standstill. He turned to face Yashiro, his expression growing serious.

"If I asked you to follow me, would you?" Makishima asked.

Yashiro looked up at him, her gaze shifting beyond his arm to what lay behind.

"Of course not," Makishima sighed and turned around, disappointment briefly clouding his features.

In the bustling corridor, as classmates departed in different directions, Yashiro's attention was drawn to Rikako's familiar straight black hair. She blended into the crowd as they continued on their separate paths. Yashiro's frown deepened when she spotted Touma engaged in conversation with Rikako across the corridor. Their gazes met briefly.

"You told me she was in an art classroom," Yashiro stated, her voice tinged with frustration, her gaze still fixed on the unfolding scene.

"You asked me to keep her away from dominators. You never specified keeping her away from him," Makishima responded, his voice carrying a subtle note of amusement, his eyes never leaving Yashiro's face.

"You lied."

Makishima narrowed his eyes for a second, offering a sly smile. "Let's put it this way—I never reveal everything. And, as I've noticed, neither do you."

Yashiro regarded him with a composed and serious expression, though a subtle furrow creased her brow for a moment. Without another word, she turned and walked away from him, heading toward the group of students. Makishima's lips parted as he watched her retreating figure, his head briefly tilting to the side, and then he gazed at her with a faint frown, his lips slightly pursed.

Touma observed the unfolding scene with an amused grin playing at the corners of his lips. He was in the midst of a conversation with a group of students in the bustling corridor. However, when Yashiro approached Rikako, she abruptly halted in her tracks. Rikako, with a hint of formality, offered a slight bow to Touma before descending the stairs, her presence vanishing from Yashiro's sight.

"What's up with that secret chat?" Touma approached Yashiro, his tone casual.

Yashiro responded with her usual calm demeanor, giving little away. "It's nothing. Why do you ask?"

"Curiosity," Touma glanced at Makishima, who was looking back at him with narrowed eyes and a serious expression, his jaw slightly clenched. As Yashiro began to descend the wide staircase, Touma observed her, his hands remaining in his dark pants pockets. "You've got Ouryou-san worried."

Yashiro paused at the top of the stairs, her gaze shifting to him. "Why?"

However, Touma strolled into his classroom, the door still ajar, and Yashiro followed him, leaving Makishima behind, a hint of frustration in his eyes.

"Won't you sit?" Touma asked, tucking a book into his bag.

"I'm not staying long," she responded firmly, her chin lifted slightly as she recognized the book Makishima had lent to him.

Touma shifted around the side of his desk, positioning himself at the front with a casual yet confident posture, his legs slightly apart, and his forearms resting on his thighs, hands clasped together. He remained in his crisp attire, sporting a red tie, a white shirt with rolled-up sleeves, and a black vest.

"You missed an exam today," Touma remarked, his tone laced with an undercurrent of curiosity.

"Did I? Well, I'm still suspended," Yashiro replied, her gaze momentarily flicking towards the empty blackboard behind him.

With a subtle and deliberate movement, Touma leaned his body slightly to the side, as if to emphasize his next words and capture Yashiro's full attention. Her eyes reluctantly met his.

"I wish you remembered them as well as yesterday's event," he quipped.

"I wasn't going to miss all the fun."

A wry smile tugged at Touma's lips as he continued, his narrowed eyes locking onto hers. "I can see that. You really don't waste any time. You've discovered something curious behind his mask, haven't you?"

"I've seen enough of it to imagine the face. You said everyone has masks."

"You beginning to appreciate my lesson?" Touma asked.

"That human beings are inherently evil and tend to seek power above all else? That some are born to rule while others must obey?"

"Like I said, compassionate."

"Just because of your childhood, you can't assume that every person is cruel, and that life is about suffering," Yashiro shook her head.

Touma's countenance shifted, his brows knitting in contemplation. He took a measured breath before responding, "I have compelling reasons to believe that humanity, at its core, is impervious to truth and reason. Throughout my life, I've witnessed people's susceptibility to corruption and how integrity has become a rare and fading virtue."

"Well, I think you could have chosen differently," Yashiro replied firmly, her voice carrying a touch of hesitation, as if she carefully weighed her words. "Even if you strayed from that path, it doesn't mean everyone shares the same inherent nature, or that you should impose your perspective on others."

"Strayed? Do you honestly believe there was ever a glimpse of virtue in me?" Touma smiled briefly, arching his eyebrows. "Wasn't I always the most ruthless man?"

Yashiro maintained their locked gaze, her eyes revealing a mix of emotions. "I can't quite believe that."

"Indeed, Yashiro, I am."

"Why do you think that?"

"I don't wish to, but I'll be candid. Don't ever alter your perception of me, even if I disagree with your disdain. Don't venture too closely into my thoughts, or you'll discover aspects that might displease you," he cautioned, his voice deepening as he narrowed his eyes and lowered his gaze.

"What aspects?" Yashiro's eyebrows furrowed inquisitively.

Touma's features softened, and a wistful smile played on his lips as he raised his gaze to meet hers once more. "It's so cruel to be honest, isn't it? It's why people often prefer lies over the truth. The fact that I've never adhered to integrity throughout my life is not as significant as the fact that I've never felt the need for it. I detest the very concept of the ideals you hold dear and all they stand for."

"You detest them?" Yashiro's eyebrows knitted, and a once vibrant light in her eyes now seemed to dim.

"Remember when I told you about the individualist who eventually embraced collectivism?"

"He's a teacher at this school, head of the History Department."

"Yes, you love reminding me of that. He now fervently endorses Sibyl's judgment and deems it necessary to control the teaching of history for the greater good of society. I have influenced that change. I've persuaded many towering figures of reason. And people remain oblivious to how much I relish it. In fact... I was among those who supported the campaign against you during the club scandal. They labeled you as insane, a charlatan, an egomaniac, a criminal."

Yashiro responded with a serene tone, her voice barely above a whisper. "I know."

Touma closed his eyes for a moment, pursing his lips and exhaling deeply. "Yashiro, you don't know me well. Understand that I never apologize for any of my actions."

Her gaze remained unwavering as she replied, "Why are you talking about apologies if I didn't say anything?"

"Just to be clear. I stand by every word I say," he stated.

With the same calm demeanor, Yashiro continued, "I didn't ask you to repudiate them."

"I know what you think."

"I can't do what you're asking me to do," Yashiro shook her head.

"What?"

"Punch you in the face."

"Why don't you do it?"

"I can't fake anger. It's not mercy either. You want me to forgive you, and you think that will settle the matter. But I have nothing to do with it. I'm indifferent in a cosmic sense. I'm not one of your plaintiffs. It's not my conscience you want to forgive you."

"Then whose?" he asked.

"Yours," Yashiro responded, making him frown. "It scares you because things like that require atonement, but you see I don't suffer for it. Well, that's what I think of that scandal. For me, it ended long ago. For you, it's not."

"Forgiveness demands remorse, Yashiro," Touma declared, turning his head to the classroom window, the world outside a fleeting distraction. His gaze fixed on the light filtering through, as though he was searching for something beyond the glass, lost in thought. "In my life, I don't find much to regret, except for missed opportunities, which were rare. As for my actions, let's just say I've adhered to my own principles, regardless of how unconventional or unsettling they may appear in the eyes of others."

Yashiro took a step closer, her voice steady but laced with curiosity. "Why are you trying to justify yourself to me?"

"I wasn't trying to," Touma began with a raised eyebrow and a sly smile, but then, he turned his gaze back to her, and his expression shifted from playful arrogance to one of introspection. His voice softened, and he admitted, "yes, that's what I was doing."

"Why?"

"You're the only one who can prompt me to be so candid, and to whom I would concede defeat."

Yashiro turned her head slightly, her gaze drifting to a point somewhere outside the window. She felt the weight of his intense scrutiny and her composure wavered as she struggled to digest his words. Her mind raced for a way to divert the conversation, but a sense of bewilderment kept her momentarily silent.

"I've never quite bought into the idea that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely, as Lord Acton famously stated. I think power is more like a magnet that attracts the corruptible," Yashiro mused.

Touma leaned back with a sly grin tugging at his lips. "And you believe Shibata Yukimori is exempt from that magnetic pull?"

"I never said he was. Are you concerned about the possibility?" Yashiro responded.

"Not at all. He's no better than the rest of us," Touma replied, his brows furrowing.

"But what if he is?" Yashiro pressed on, her tone gentle but probing.

Touma's expression darkened as he spoke, his voice a low murmur. "I'd break him."

"What if you can't?" Yashiro asked, her eyes locking with his.

Touma's gaze fell, and his voice grew even softer. "Then we would have witnessed mankind's final achievement before its own self-destruction."

"Mankind will never destroy itself, nor do I consider it destroyed."

Touma studied her intently and then said, "I wonder how long you can hold onto that optimism. Youth often brims with it, but as time goes on, one learns to see the world as it is, not as one wishes it to be. Someday, you'll realize I was right. And if, by some rare chance, I'm not, there's something I hope you'll find for yourself—peace."

"Is that what you want?" Yashiro furrowed her brow for a moment.

"I've come round to it," he shrugged. "I do understand the need for your quest, this self-imposed penance, seeking something you think you neither possess nor deserve, like pushing a rock up a hill, only to see it roll back down eternally."

"I don't find satisfaction in endless toil for the unattainable like Sisyphus. I don't like the idea of living merely to enjoy the very effort of existing," she said, folding her arms and gazing at the blackboard behind him.

Touma watched her with narrowed eyes for a moment. "No, you were never quite fond of existentialism. I'm not surprised, you're all objectivity and logic. I just want you to remember that resistance has a limit and that any man can be stopped. Much may change as a result of it."

"Isn't that true of all living things?" Yashiro asked with a smile as she walked toward the window.

"Yashiro, when I say change, I mean death," Touma's brows furrowed slightly. "Ever crossed your mind?"

"Death has been a constant companion to humanity for millennia," she began, her voice taking on a more detached, analytical tone. "Throughout history, we've seen countless lives extinguished. Just recently, there was an incident where a tragic traffic accident in a nearby district claimed four lives. It's a stark reminder of how fragile life can be."

Touma observed her closely, noticing her evasive response. "I don't care about historical statistics or distant events, Yashiro. I mean your own thoughts and experiences."

Yashiro frowned for a moment, her smile fading. She lowered her gaze and hesitated, her shoulders tensing slightly. After a brief pause, she finally admitted, "No, I... I don't feel like I have strong reasons. You?"

Touma frowned, raising his head to gaze at the ceiling, resting his hands on the desk on either side of his body. He mused, "No. But I do know the thought of dying. When I was a kid, I ran into a gang from my hometown. Can't remember how or why. Just the sweet metallic feeling of blood all over my face and the pain in my body telling me not to get up."

"What made you get up?" she asked, unfolding her arms and looking at him.

Touma blinked and frowned, silent for several seconds, until he responded, "My sister. She was my responsibility. I couldn't leave her alone on that island."

Beneath a starless, moonless sky, Yashiro laughed. She stood at the edge of a rooftop, the gentle, chilly breeze tugging at her long, obsidian hair. Her fingers hung at her sides, palms turned upward, and her toes teetered on the precipice. The city stretched before her, a labyrinth of towering structures with windows aglow in various colors.

She had been fleeing through the labyrinthine streets until she reached the shopping mall where she now found herself. Her mission had been to pull the trigger on a man, but instead, she had released him and vanished into the neon-lit night. It marked the first time she had dared defy both her father and the figures he associated with. The fear of their pursuit momentarily slipped her mind.

Her gaze wandered across the architectural beauty surrounding her, tracing the contours of each building. Holographic projections painted intricate patterns on her angular cheeks, casting ever-changing shades upon her black attire. Her focus descended to the ground below, and a faint smile curved her lips. Unbeknownst to her, vision had grown blurry, and as her smile faded, her thoughts drifted to her mother. Without warning, she lowered herself to sit on the rooftop's edge, her legs hanging freely into the abyss.

"Yashiro," Touma raised his voice, gazing at her clenched hands on either side of her body. She slowly turned to him, her distant expression slowly dissolving as she returned to the present. "Did you hear me?"

Yashiro blinked, adjusting to the abrupt shift from her memories and softening her hands. "No. What?"

Touma held up a book he had taken from his bag. "I was telling you that I brought you something. I finished reading it days ago, just rereading some chapters. Would you like it back?"

Yashiro raised her eyebrows as she recognized the book. "Oh, that. I see. No, you can keep it. I don't mind."

Touma arched an eyebrow, studying her. "It doesn't bother you?"

"Why? It's just a book," Yashiro shrugged.

"You're so cold," Touma smiled briefly.

She sighed, growing slightly annoyed. "I've already read it. Why should I keep it?"

Touma paused for a moment before replying. "Still not one to hold on to things, but rather to let them go? Books are not a magic potion you take and throw away. There are some that every now and then I go back to read. And no matter how many times I do it, I always find something I had overlooked before. You should give it a try. You'll be surprised to discover how little you know of what you thought you had learned. Or is the prospect so unappealing?"

Yashiro hesitated and then sighed, looking back at him. "Fine. I'll give it a shot. What's up with Ouryou Rikako? You said she was worried before."

Touma put the book aside, resting his hands on the desk. He pursed his lips and clicked his tongue softly for a brief moment. "Ah, that girl. Can't be comforting for her to see you getting out of a police car... knowing your hue could be clouded forever."

"Every person bears responsibility for their own existence," Yashiro mumbled, shrugging as her gaze remained lowered. "Those were your words."

"This drive in you, it's both beautiful and obsessive, yet it can blind you," Touma remarked softly, prompting a deep sigh from her. "I've never asked you before, but have you ever checked your hue?"

"No," Yashiro's voice was barely above a whisper.

"Are you aware that what you're doing could negatively affect your hue?"

"It should," she nodded.

"But you still can't stop?" Touma asked further.

"I couldn't live with myself if I did," Yashiro admitted.

Touma furrowed his brows, lowering his gaze briefly before returning it to her. He raised his voice, sounding somewhat exasperated as he extended two fingers to the side of his head, making a circular motion. "You're constantly trying to make amends for something."

"No, it's just..." Yashiro shrugged, finding it difficult to express her thoughts.

"I'm not Ouryou or Shibata, Yashiro. You don't need to put on a facade with me. The world screwed with your head, but this unfounded guilt has to end. Your parents are dead, and trying to save everyone won't bring them back."

"Spare me the tough love," Yashiro retorted with a shake of her head.

"It wouldn't be tough love if I did. Everyone has to take responsibility for themselves. Yashiro, the narcissism in believing otherwise... it's a peculiar kind of beauty," Touma smiled, shaking his head gently as he observed her.

Yashiro hesitated for a moment before responding, "No, it's not that..."

"I understand that this isn't a problem of your own making. Someone taught you to bear the weight of the world, even at the cost of your own desires. It's a deeply ingrained habit, especially for someone like you, who finds it challenging to acknowledge your emotions. One day, you'll realize you haven't truly lived. And before you say otherwise, can you think of anything that genuinely tempts you? Forget about your expectations or perceived duties. I'd like to discover something you truly desire, something you can claim as your own."

"Don't bother..." she began.

But Touma interrupted, "Why not? Because you feel unworthy of it?"

"No, it's because there's nothing to find," Yashiro replied, her voice softening.

Touma arched his eyebrows for a moment. "Admitting that couldn't have been easy."

"Feels like something for someone else. I guess I'll try to search for that something someday... but right now, I think too much," she concluded with a gentle shake of her head and a shrug.

"You're like a master painter who's forgotten to appreciate the colors. The world holds a palette of experiences, each waiting for you to dip your brush. As you mix the hues of life, perhaps you'll discover your own masterpiece hidden within."

As Touma moved away from the desk, confidently approaching her, Yashiro instinctively took a step back, her unwavering gaze locked on him. His smile gradually waned, replaced by a newfound gravity. Pausing for a moment, he briefly averted his eyes, casting a subtle glance toward her feet.

"I'm... grateful for everything you've done and taught me after my parents died," she responded, her voice soft but composed, a hint of unease underlying her words. "Earlier, you called me out for making you expose your thoughts so candidly. I guess we're even now."

Touma turned his gaze back to meet hers, his tone measured. "How long have I known you?"

"Three years."

"In three years, you have never thanked me for anything this quickly," he noted, his frown deepening. Yashiro's gaze wavered briefly. "I spoke with my good friend, Shimizu Jiro, today."

"You don't have friends."

A subtle smile briefly graced his lips. "He told me you've been asking about Altoromagi Abele and that you had something to tell me."

"It's nothing. It doesn't matter."

"Did you expect to achieve your goal using your usual methods?" Touma asked.

Yashiro, perplexed, raised an eyebrow, her voice dripping with feigned innocence. "What methods?"

"Lying, withholding information to gain an advantage. I find it hard to believe that you'd attend a school event for some charity business nonsense."

"You're allowed to lie, but I'm not?" Yashiro countered.

Touma narrowed his eyes, his voice growing sterner. "What exactly did I lie about?"

"Why did you willingly bring the PSB's attention to yourself?" she questioned, her frown prompting his gaze to shift towards her shoulder. His expression remained relaxed but serious.

"I'm being open and honest."

"What did you tell them?"

"A simple conversation about a charity project," Touma briefly glanced aside before locking eyes with her.

Yashiro's frown deepened as she turned her head slightly to face him, her voice now assertive as she continued, "You've never held charity in high regard, let alone considered it a moral duty. Pity is something you loathe."

"I made a mistake. Something easily misconstrued. Not unlike Shimizu or yourself," he replied softly, pausing for several seconds as he noticed her subtly pursed lips. "No need for you to play detective anymore. They've already asked their questions, and we've answered them."

"You maintain an air of transparency while putting him in a position to support you... even at the expense of his hue. How far will this game with the PSB go?"

"It seems the inspectors are less suspicious of me than you are."

"They don't know what you're capable of."

He narrowed his eyes and smiled briefly. His voice deepened as he asked, "What am I capable of?"

"You once said... there's a limit to how much I should put up with. I'm simply setting a limit now."

"May I ask why?"

"Considering what happened with Altoromagi Abele... I've started to question your words and actions. Particularly... your past regarding your mother and sister."

Touma looked down, his body remaining immobile. "Did you share those questions with the bureau?"

"No, and I won't. Intuition without proof would only make me look as suspicious as you," Yashiro replied quietly. Her words hung in the air, making him smile with narrowed eyes. He slightly turned his head, his gaze fixed on her. "After my father's history... that's the last thing I want. I, too, have my reasons to stay off Sibyl's radar... and I prefer to keep my past to myself. But maybe that's what you intended."

"Proof of what?" Touma asked, his voice low, as he began to walk toward her.

"I can't say... exactly," her gaze shifted to his polished dress shoes, his footsteps echoing in the empty classroom. Her heart beat slowly but strongly in her chest.

"Speak plainly," he demanded, his expression growing more serious.

"I've been trying to see through the... well-designed suits and masks that you wear in front of others. I've always admired their craftsmanship... but I'm not sure if I still recognize the person beneath them," she took a step back as he approached, only to be halted by the wall and the window behind her.

"Life has been a masquerade ball for you all along," he said, now standing directly in front of her. "Even now. Did I tell you that you'd make an exceptional lawyer? There's so much you're keeping from me. Do you know how frustrating that is? Not knowing what's going on in your mind."

"You lied about your sister," Yashiro responded with a calm but serious expression. Her voice was steady. "You told me she was dead. But to everyone else, you claimed to be an only child... when you left Ogishima. Smalltown boy trying to run away and not let her down... yet she chose to stay?"

Touma's eyes widened briefly, and he chuckled, revealing a flash of white teeth, but his features quickly returned to their dark intensity. "My sister was a reckless fool who got herself killed. I couldn't have let her down any further. There's one thing I won't grant you, and that's sympathy for someone of her caliber. It's not your place. Let it go."

"Is that a request?"

"An ultimatum."

Yashiro nodded slightly and absently gazed at his red tie before asking, "Why do you keep a photo of her?"

"For the same reason you have a picture of your father."

Yashiro leaned back, blinking and frowning, her voice barely above a whisper, "How did you know that?"

"I didn't," he replied with a smile. "We're not so different, you and I."

Yashiro barely curled her lip and then briskly walked past him, exclaiming, "Like hell we are."

Touma raised his eyebrows momentarily, his amusement fading as he turned around, hands in his pants pockets, his voice growing stern. "Incidentally, I would have disqualified anyone else for talking back that way."

Yashiro stopped in the middle of the classroom and turned around, her eyes locked onto his. "I'm well aware. Should I consider myself disqualified?"

"Is that what you want?"

"Do as you must. I couldn't care less."

As Yashiro headed towards the exit again, Touma walked to his desk to retrieve his bag and her book.

"I'll be attending Altoromagi Abele's funeral," he announced.

Yashiro turned around, her gaze fixed on him, "To what end?"

"His family extended an invitation. I plan to offer my condolences. His daughter will be there too."

"If you thought it amusing to tempt me into joining, you miscalculated."

"I was trying to tempt you, but I didn't find it amusing. I had hoped to run into you there," he admitted, extending his arm with her book, which she accepted.

"But I have no desire to see you. I will take my leave," she replied quietly, turning around and walking away.

Touma watched in silence as Yashiro walked away, her footsteps echoing faintly through the empty classroom. He stood there, his gaze fixed on a distant point in the room, long after she had disappeared from view.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.1K 952 60
A young girl enters Hope's Peak academy filled with hope. Little did she know she would learn a shocking truth which might just push her to the edge...
2.5K 42 41
Disclaimer: I do not own Psycho-Pass or the characters. Credit goes to Gen Urobuchi. No longer content with maintaining the status quo, Inspector Aka...
1.6K 57 10
A month after enforcer Sasayama Mitsuru was murdered during the height of the Specimen Case, Ginoza Nobuchika is leading a final investigation with f...
191K 9.3K 27
𝐓𝐎𝐊𝐘𝐎 𝐑𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐑𝐒 ,, 25 / 6 - 10 / 7 ] ! y/n ito, she's a russian girl to be quite frank about it. she had moved to tokyo with her d...