Always and Forever

By BrittanyLeigh8

After a crazy drunken night and marriage to her best friend Nathaniel Holbrook, Peyton Green fled before he h... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 4

18.3K 474 24
By BrittanyLeigh8

Chapter 4

I sat on the sofa inside my hotel room staring down at my phone while having an internal debate with myself. Should I call Mason or not? I mean is this really something I want to know? I know I should know but won’t this change everything?

I sighed not knowing what to do or what I wanted. Why does everything have to be so complicated? Things were perfect between us before I came back here. No everything is just…..

My phone beeped interrupting my thoughts and causing me to slightly jump in surprise. Once I calmed myself I was able to look down to see who it was.

Mason: Hey babe. I miss you. Call me when you get in.

I felt my eyes start to water. How could someone like this do all those things Nathan accused him of? Why would he? I’ve never seen a ruthless side of him.

My finger wavered over the reply button while deciding on what to say. Is this really something I want to say over a text message? I think not. I need to hear his voice when I ask him.

I quickly dialed his number and silently hoped that maybe he wouldn’t answer. I know it’s a silly thing to hope for but I just didn’t know if he could handle the truth.

The line rang a few short times before his voice came across the line.

“Hey.” He answered cheerfully. 

“Hey.” I mumbled. 

“How’s the trip?”

If only he knew I don't think he'd be asking. 

“It’s been....interesting.”

And in all honesty it was. I found out many things today.

“Did your family handle the news well?”

“News?” I furrowed up my eyes at his question. 

“About the engagement.” He answered with a hint of worry in his voice. “You you ok?”

Oh, that news. I was hoping he wouldn't have asked just yet. I suppose I could just tell him I haven’t told them yet. It still to soon. They hadn't seen me in months. It was handly fair to throw something like that at them after only being back one day. 

Besides, I had more pressing issues on my mind at the moment. 

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I lied.

No, not really. 

“You sound a little off.” He stated.

I sighed knowing I shold just get it over with and ask him. What was I waiting on anyway? I needed to know so I could let Nathan know he was wrong. So why did I dread asking? 

“Mason?” I said softly. 

“Hmm?”

Deep breaths Peyton.

“Did you recently buy out some property in Waverly?” I asked with a grimace. 

Waverly was where the nursing home was that Nathan had mentioned earlier. There was quite a bit of land that came with that property. 

“Uh…yeah we did. Why?” He asked as if it were nothing. 

My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach. So it was true. He really did do it. What a fool I’ve been. I knew nothing about this man that I was about to marry. How could I have been willing to enter in to this engagement while knowing so little about him? 

“So you turned out that orphanage and nursing home.” I mumbled more to myself. 

“It was just good business. It's not like they can't find another place to go. That is what the government is there for; to help them. I even gave them ninety days to move instead of the standard sixty.” He said in justification. “Did I do something wrong?”

That was hardly the point and he knew it. He could have bought land anywhere else. Was he really that heartless when it came to others? 

“No, I did." I answered him. "Goodbye, Mason.”

“Payton, wait. I don't know what the big deal is. It was just-”

I couldn't stand to hear anymore and hung up before he could say anything else. I’ve had enough to deal with today and now that I know Nathan was right, he’ll never let me live it down. What am I going to do now?

Should I go back to Nathan and admit he was right? Somehow I knew he'd like that, but I wouldn't. I had too much pride. I also knew I didn’t want to live in this hotel room any longer either. After all, Nathan was part owner in it and I didn’t need that constant reminder of him. Maybe I should just go stay with mom and dad for a while; it has been a while since I’ve seen them.

My eyes began to drop from tiredness as sleep made its appearance over me. Unable to fight it off any longer I gave into it and let my eyes rest a while. Whatever problems I had would still be there in the morning, so there was no use trying to figure out everything tonight. For now I just needed to get some rest.

*****

I was awoken by my phone going off. I was still a little groggy as I reached out for it and answered.

“Hello?” I croaked.

“Payton, is that you?” My sister’s voice rang out.

“Kayleigh?” I asked sitting up from my slumber. Why was she calling me?

“Hey sis.” She cheered. “I heard you were in town again.”

“Yeah. How did you know?”

“I ran into Kristen yesterday and she told me.”

Of course Kristen. I should have guessed.

“How are you Kay?” I smiled happy to hear her voice again.

“Great. Mom and dad wanted me to tell you they want you to come over for lunch today. Said to be here in two hours. Devon wants to see you two.”

Oh how I had missed my older brother. I really had been away to long.

“Ok. I‘ll just get cleaned up and be right over.” I said.

“Ok. Bye.” She said before hanging up.

I was really excited once I got off the phone. I couldn’t wait to see my family again. Mom, Dad, Kayleigh and Devon. It will be just when I lived at home only we will all be much older. I hadn’t been home since I graduated college four years ago but luckily mom and dad paid me a visit about once a year. I really should see them more often though.

I got a quick shower and threw on a pair of jeans and t-shirt. No need to dress to impress today since I was only seeing mom and dad. I wanted to feel more relaxed.

As soon as the cab dropped me off at my parents they all came rushing out side to greet me. Kayleigh managed to get to me first and grabbed me up in a gut wrenching hug then followed everyone else.

“Come on Payton, lunch is on the table.” Mom smiled leading us into the house.

We took our seats at the table and immediately started catching up of everything that had been going on in our lives. Although I left out the part about being engaged and married. I figure something are better left unsaid.

“You’ll never guess who I saw this morning.” Dad said before taking a bite of his food.

“Who?” Mom asked.

“Nathan.” He answered and turned to me. “I remember when we couldn’t separate you two.”

I swallowed hard. Oh no. What did they talk about? Surely they didn’t say anything about our…situation. Right? No he couldn’t have, or else I would get an ear full from both my parents.

A sat nervously waiting for him to continue.

“I haven’t seen Nathan in a very long time.” Mom stated. “I wonder how he’s doing?”

Dad smiled. “You’ll get your chance to ask him soon. I’ve invited him over.”

I dropped my fork causing it to clatter on the plate gathering everyone’s attention.

“Dad, please tell me you didn’t.” I panicked.

He gave me a concerned look. “What’s wrong? I thought you’d be happy to see him again. What’s it been three, four years?”

Oh dad if you only knew. Maybe I could get out of here before he arrives and then I won’t have to see him. Yeah that soun-

“That will be him.” Dad said standing to answer the door someone was knocking on.

I placed my head in my hands unsure of what to do now. I wasn’t ready to see him yet. He made me feel all nervous and frankly a little angry at times. It was a lot different than when we were in high school. He has changed and so have I.

Mom stood from her chair and smiled fondly at the person standing behind me. I already knew he was there.

“Nathan honey, how have you been?”

“I’m well Mrs. Green. How are you?” He replied.

She shook her head in disapproval. “No need to be so formal. It’s Sherry to you.”

“It’s nice to see you again, Sherry.” He smiled moving to give her a hug.

Once he greeted the rest of my family his eyes landed on me.

“Payton don’t be rude, it’s Nathan. Give him a hug.” Mom ordered.

I silently cursed under my breath as I stood to hug him. If I didn’t they would know something was wrong and I didn’t feel like explaining then getting lectured at how irresponsible I had been. No I would rather not deal with that today.

I took a step in his direction and planning to give him a quick hug and pull away but he had other plans. He wrapped his arms around me tight and his mouth just rested next to my ear. His hot breath caused my breathing to hitch and sent tingles all through my body. What was he doing to me?

“Should you tell them or me?” He whispered before pulling away.

He wouldn’t dare.

I sent him a quick glare before taking my seat so my parents wouldn’t notice. I swear if he tells a soul I’ll strangle him.

Nathan took the empty chair next to me and sat a little closer than necessary. Our arms brushed against each other every time one of us moved. Him more than me. I tried to stay as still as possible.

“I hear you’ve done quite well for yourself.” Dad stated. “How the finance business?”

“It’s prospering.” Nathan smiled.

I rolled my eyes as I picked up my glass to take a sip.

“Are you seeing anyone now?” Mom asked.

Midways down my throat the liquid caused me to strangle. I quickly sat the glass down as Nathan’s hand patted my back looking at me in amusement. What is his game? Why is he here?

“Actually I am.” He answered.

Oh no, this is not good. Unless his does actually have a girlfriend somewhere, which I highly doubt, because he tried to convince me to stay in this marriage, then he is about to out us to my family.

“Who is she?” Mom asked.

Payton do something now! Right now! My head was going in all different directions at what I should do. My first thought was stabbing him with my fork but that seemed to extreme. I don’t think inflicting injury is the way to go about this.

“Payton and I-”

Doing the only other thing I could think of in a moment of panic I quickly leaned over and placed my lips on his. Crazy I know but I didn’t know what else to do. I would rather my family think that we are seeing each other than married. Mom always gushed about planning my wedding and I hate to crush her dream.

Everyone at the table gasped at the scene before them and if I were anywhere else but here I would have enjoyed the moment but right now it was awkward.

I pulled away blushing deeply as I faced the shock faces of the people around us. Nathan still had a smile plastered on his face before speaking again.

“Payton and I are together.” He said. “Well we’re more than together. We’re married.”

My dad and mom looked at me with very unhappy expressions that made me wish a while would just come swallow me up.

“Payton Leigh Green, you got married and you didn’t tell us?” Dad voice rose.

“Dad let me exp-”

“Why would you hide something like that?” Mom asked. “You know we love Nathan.”

Thanks mom. I thought bitterly. That makes me all better.

“Wow sis, you really kept a secret.” Kayleigh smirked crossing her arms.

Everyone immediately jumped into the conversation all at once and their voices were radiating all through the room. I couldn’t make out anything they were saying but it didn’t matter because right now there was only one thing on my mind. Nathan is going to pay.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment………….…Vote……………..Follow!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 36.2K 61
WATTYS WINNER When her fiancé ends up in a coma and his secret mistress, Halley, shows up, Mary feels like her world is falling apart. What she does...