Surviving Nyx (C.Grimes/TWD)...

By Local4Life

After a Global Outbreak, where the dead ate the living, the world Nyx's knew would change forever. At first... More

ONE: Stupid Morals
TWO: Group Discussion
THREE: Flare
FOUR: Night in the Field
FIVE: Welcome
SIX: Prisoners
SEVEN: Tomas' Dead
EIGHT: Birth-day
NINE: Meeting the Governor
TEN: Neighbours
ELEVEN: New Bow
TWELVE: Attacked
THIRTEEN: Afraid
FOURTEEN: Andrea
FIFTEEN: We're Going to War
SIXTEEN: The Impossible Deal
SEVENTEEN: Anger
EIGHTEEN: Arsehole
NINETEEN: Planning
TWENTY: Renovations
TWENTY-ONE: Clearing the Block
TWENTY-THREE: R.I.P
TWENTY-FOUR: Feelings
TWENTY-FIVE: Carl's 15
TWENTY-SIX: Flirting
TWENTY-SEVEN: Oliver's Threat
TWENTY-EIGHT: Ownership
TWENTY-NINE: Family
THIRTY: Popular
THIRTY-ONE: Twelve
THIRTY-TWO: Changes
THIRTY-THREE: Adventure Gone Wrong
THIRTY-FOUR: Truth Comes Out
THIRTY-FIVE: Things are Perfect
THIRTY-SIX: Full Circle
THIRTY-SEVEN: Campfire & Amber Light
THIRTY-EIGHT: Big Spot
THIRTY-NINE: Things Turn
FORTY: Jaw
FORTY-ONE: Quarantine
FORTY-TWO: Next Step
FORTY-THREE: Slow Motion
FORTY-FOUR: The Calm
FORTY-FIVE: The End of the Prison
FORTY-SIX: Sundered
FORTY-SEVEN: Despondency

TWENTY-TWO: GSNJ

283 10 1
By Local4Life

(8th June, 2011)

"GSNJ" George yelled when we got near a group of tents, a beautiful young woman comes out of the first tent, a man and what looks like his son come out of the second tent. "George!" The young woman chimed and she rushed to him, wrapping her arms around him and hugging him tightly. "I told them that you're still alive, but we were going to move on tonight." She whispers in desperation, "I got trapped by walkers, had to wait until after these people cleared their halls." George gestured to me, Rick and Daryl. "You're the people that live in the prison?" the man who stepped in front of his son protectively spoke, "us and 34 others." Daryl informed them, the boy's jaw dropped at the number.

"You're welcome to join us once you answer three questions." Rick informed the group, George lead us over to a log that surrounded a fire pit. "I'm Rick, this is Daryl and Nyx. You are?" Rick questions, "this is my girlfriend Sadie, and that's Noris and James, they're father and son." George introduced us, "just so you know that wasn't one of our three questions." I chip in. Rick looked at me and whispered informing me of a deer nearby, before nodding in the direction of the hind.

I stand up quietly, raising my bow slowly before launching an arrow straight into the female deer's eye. "I got it, you ask your questions." I tucked my bow away, pulling out my knife and making my way over to deer. I bend down searching it for any sigh of walker interaction but it was clear. I pull twine out of my bag, tied up the hind into the shape of a backpack, and I pulled it onto my back. "Why?" Rick questioned, "never were put in the position where we had to." Noris answers the question, "we all set?" I question the group coming into their view, "Nyx look into their eyes." Daryl requested I look at him confused, "Noel said you can tell who's good and bad by looking in their eyes." Daryl shrugged, I nod and slide the deer down next to Rick and Daryl as I slowly approached the group of four.

I look into George's eyes first, "only child, mom left when he was young, has trust issues but still has a pure heart. Good." I smile at George who looked at me stunned I got all of that looking into his eyes. "One of four, three brothers. Parents were stricter on her which lead to a lot of resentment, but a caring soul. Good." Sadie had the same expression of her boyfriend, I moved onto James. I look into his eyes, a smile played on my lips, "had loving parents, kind soul, strong. I'm sorry about your mum, it was recent like a week ago. He's good." I moved to Noris when I saw the pain in his eyes, I frowned and lightly placed my hand on his shoulder, "I'm sorry about your wife, I can see how much you loved her. Raised by his grandmother, respectful and trustworthy. Good."

Rick and Daryl looked at me the same way the newbies looked at me, "I thought we'd get a good or bad, not a background check." Rick admits, I shrug, "everyone's secrets of their past are in their eyes, you just need to know where to look." I picked up the hind once again, adjusting it to be a little more comfortable. "Pack what you want to bring with you. We have plenty room for you." Rick smiled at the group who began packing furiously.

Our whole group stood in the hallway between block C and B. We all introduced ourselves to newbies properly, we tell them the rules. Noel grabs Damien and Tyreese to help with another couple bed in cell block B for George and Sadie. Noris and James were put booked into cell block D, but first we decided we should introduce them to the rest of our residents that haven't moved out of our cell block yet. Daryl makes a loud whistle calling everyone's attention to us, the room falls silent and Rick stood forward.

"We'd like you to welcome our new comers..." Everyone claps to welcome the new group, I nudge George to hint at him to tell everyone his name. "Hi everyone, I'm George." He smiles and everyone chanted back a "welcome George." Then Sadie, Norris and James introduced themselves, before Hershel cleared his throat, grabbing everyone's attention. "Us at the council have paired you all up and designated a cell to fit your needs. So, Sasha will you call and lead those that will be staying in cell block A." Sasha nodded stepping forward, "Jessica, Damien, Mr & Mrs Collins, Phoebe, Emily, Greg and Alice, please gather your things and follow me."

It took five minutes for group A to leave, "Nyx, do the same for B." I nod smiling as I step forward, "Sasha, Tyreese, Karen, Charlotte, Mr & Mrs Butler, Jeanette, Mrs McLeod, George and Sadie, grab your belongings and please follow me." I helped Mrs McLeod, and Mrs Butler carry their belongings, as I lead them all but Sasha to the cell block.

"Okay, if you look over the cell doors they have your names written above them. Let's get you all unpacked before returning to C for dinner." I help dress everyone's beds, and I pin up the sheet that gave the residents some privacy when they had to change. Once everyone was finished unpacking, they all stood in front of their cells looking at me, "okay, so at night time everyone will be locked in their cells, this is for your protection. In case we have another breach and walkers get in or if we get attacked by outer forces. There will be someone on the patrol in the block, who will let you out if you need to use the toilet or need some water. We look out for each other, if you notice your roommate's feeling a little unwell or weak, alert whoever's on patrol immediately or anyone in my group, we'll get you seen to. Understood?" I asked them, "understood," everyone chanted back at me, "Nyx food's ready." Noel popped his head in, "right everyone, let's go."

I sat with Rick and the others today, Karen's daughter Charlotte was helping out Mrs McLeod. Everyone sat in circles containing their cell blocks neighbours getting to know each other a little better. The air was light filled with comfort, I looked over at Carl who looked rather upset, I swallowed a deep breath, I moved to sit in between Carl and Beth. "I'm sorry for calling you an arsehole." I whispered to him, Carl was taken aback over the fact that I was actually speaking to him, "I'm sorry for what I said, I'm so sorry." I smile at the boy, I hold my hand towards him, "friends?" "friends." Carl smiled shaking my hand.

A blush crept on my cheeks as I noticed that we were still holding each other's hand as we stared silently into one another's eyes. We both cleared our throats, pulled away from each other before continuing to eat. "Who's doing night patrol and watch tonight?" I ask the table trying to distract myself, "for patrolling, Damien and Greg in A, Karen and Sasha in B, Carol and Daryl in C and Mr Jacobson and Mr Williams in D. Noel and Tyreese are on watch." Hershel informs me, "those who are guiding people back to their cell blocks will inform them who's patrolling each night, Sasha for A, Nyx for B, and Beth for D." Carol adds, I nod understandingly what she was telling what I'm doing after dinner.

"Right everyone, mingle." Hershel told us, we all got up and began making our way around the groups talking to the them for a bit. "Oh Nyx! Is that your boyfriend?" Mrs Richards asks catching me off guard and notice that Carl was next to me, "oh, no we aren't dating, we're just friends." I clear up with a small smile on my face, I notice how out of place Carl feels, I place my hand on Carl's shoulder, "everyone this is Carl, Carl this is Mr Richards, Mrs Richards, Danny, Oliver, Owen, Eryn, Mr Jacobson, Mr Williams and you've talked to Noris and James." I introduce everyone to Carl properly.

"You're Rick's son, right?" Oliver asks for confirmation, "yeah, I am. It's nice to finally speak to you all." Carl responded politely, I smile at his approach. "Why don't you both sit down and joins us?" Mr Richards offers, "we'd love to." I spoke for myself and Carl, dragging him down to sit next to me. The age range in the group, Carl and I have spent an hour talking to is something that definitely wouldn't have happened before, 8-80. I guess a global virus that allows the dead walk and eat the living, makes age disappear between the living. Sure kids are treated differently but we aren't spoke to differently, no matter what the conversation is about each age group is able to pitch in and no one judges their opinion.

I let out a big yawn, "are we boring you, Nyx?" Mrs Richards jokes, making us all laugh as I shook my head no. "She didn't sleep last night, she was keeping an eye on everyone, making sure we were all safe." Oliver explained my tiredness, "that and you and grandpa stole her bed with your achy backs." Danny smirked looking at his grandmother, "sorry about that sweetheart, we didn't know you wouldn't just take a sleeping bag." Mr Richards apologises, "not at all, I'm used to all nighters, I'm very protective of my family and sleep used to get in the way of that." I shrugged, Carl spoke up beside me informing the group that I spent a year and four months not sleeping before finding our group. "Well even when you're sleep deprived you have an amazing shot." James spoke up on the other side of me, "the way you shot that deer was impressive." James dad Noris compliments me, "oh that's nothing." I shrugged before a whistle erupted from Daryl's mouth.

I quickly get up and rush over to Beth and Sasha. "Group A, follow Sasha. Group B, follow Nyx. Group D, follow Beth." Rick instructs and everyone does as they are told, I link arms with Jeanette and Mrs McLeod as I lead my group to cell block B. I looked at my watch to see that it's 10:00, and I waited for Sasha to join us in the building, "alright Sasha and Karen, you're both on night patrol. Tyreese your watch starts at 3:30. Sasha will take the first shift now until 3:15 and then Karen you'll take over until 8:30." I plan, "Daryl will pop in at the end of your shift Sasha to make sure you switch with Karen. Any questions?" Everyone shook their heads no.

I handed Sasha over one of the sets of keys we found today clearing the blocks. "These keys are to be returned to Rick by 9." I inform Karen as she watches me hand them over to Sasha, she nods understanding what she has to do. "Right, everyone in." Sasha announces, everyone goes into their cells, I watch Sasha lock each cell. "Goodnight everyone, sweet dreams!" I chime, everyone returns my wishes before I wave goodbye to Sasha.

"We'll move our stuff into our cells in the morning." Rick informs us knowing how wrecked we are from the days activities, "I didn't even consider the fact we'd have to change in front of each other." Carol spoke as she realised as we went to walk into our assigned cells, Rick pins up two sheets in two separate cells, "females on the right, males on the left." Hershel decided and we all went into our assigned dressing room.

"I'm gonna have to get Rick to let me go on a run soon." I admitted as I began to strip, "why's that?" Beth questions me, "because a training bra ain't doing it for me anymore, I need something with support and a cup shape." I inspected my bare chest before pulling on my sleeping cami, I pulled up my pyjama shorts as the others women began to chuckle at my words. "I'll pick you up something," Michonne offers and I shake my head no, "I don't know what cup size I am." I admit whilst arguing with Michonne who's trying to come up with a solution that doesn't involve me leaving the prison.

"I'll talk with Rick." Maggie promises, before I leave the changing room because I was finished, "no need, we heard everything." Rick informs us, my face burnt red embarrassed of being overheard on such a personal subject. Most of the adults start to laugh as I used my hands to cover my face, "tomorrow you can go on a girls trip. Get whatever lady bits you need." Rick tells me, and I look at him in horror, "never ever say lady bits in front of me ever again." I begged Rick.

"Right, well that's enough Nyx's bits talk for one night." Glenn announces to the group, causing me to groan out of frustration and the others to chuckle, "that's worse. I'm going to sleep before you can torture me any more." I made a bee line for me and Carl's shared cell, Carl follows me in, "top or bottom bunk?" I question him, "bottom." Carl chooses, I nod and climb the ladder into my new bed. I yawned pulling my hair into a messy bun, before laying down and getting comfortable, "goodnight Carl." "Night Nyx."

At 3:30, I woke up to Noel returning to his cell after his watch, "no.. no, please no." I furrow my eyebrows, looking down at Carl, who I could see thrashing around because of the solar lantern we have in our room. I made my way down my ladder, I sit down on his bed before shaking him awake, "Carl, you're alright, it's just a nightmare." I spoke softly at him, his eyes fluttered opened and he sighed in relief as he saw me looking down at him. "I didn't mean to wake you." I shook my head and informed Carl that it was actually Noel who woke me up when he came back from watch.

"Wanna talk about it?" I ask him, he shakes his head no, "will you sleep down here with me? I won't have a nightmare knowing your next to me." Carl's voice was so gentle and vulnerable, I nod my head and lay down on my back next to Carl. He lays his head on bent arm that was on the pillow, curling into the curves on body as he cuddled me, a smile played on my lips as I rest my head against his and play with his hair as we both asleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

72.8K 2.1K 67
Trying to survive the apocalypse isn't just about slaying the undead. It's a 𝘸𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘦 lot more complicated than that. Hardly anybody ever considers...
22.8K 1.3K 80
After the world fell apart there was only one thing left to do for Alden; survive. He'd never imagined to be responsible for someone else their life...
3.8K 101 34
"She's just a kid" "She knows how to survive" Cassie Dixon, only twelve at the start of the outbreak. With her mothers smarts and her fathers skills...
17.5K 591 9
α΄„α΄€Κ€ΚŸ Ι’Κ€Ιͺα΄α΄‡κœ± x κœ°α΄‡α΄!ᴏᴄ β™’ 𝐬𝐑𝐞 𝐑𝐚𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐭 𝐚 𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐬𝐞 𝐭𝐑𝐚𝐧 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐑. 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐑𝐞 𝐑𝐚𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐭 𝐑𝐞𝐫. β™’ 𝐒𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑...