Liberty Over One's Mind

By xiaodandyylion

What if Gabriel brought the Miraculous of the Eagle to Paris? More

Unbound Chains

Liberation

1.3K 37 26
By xiaodandyylion

Nathalie stood in front of him.

Aras.

Gabriel was somehow witty with names these days. Aras meant "Intelligence of an Eagle" and certainly, Nathalie thought, that he was wise to choose to bring the miraculous home and slowly study its powers. Despite her condition, she supported him even if it meant falling victim to its powers. Baby steps, she promised herself. Bigger baby steps if needed.

"I'm sorry, Nathalie. I need you again for this."

"You needn't be, sir. If it would allow you to have better control of it, then what needs to be done shall be done."

He sighed, taking a few steps back. He promised himself that he wouldn't get her involved if it wasn't yet too necessary. She couldn't even come out of bed as often as before. Adrien rarely saw her nowadays and he presumed that it was all due to her health much similar to his mother's.

But Aras would restrain himself this time since it was Nathalie he was preying upon. The beeping in the room made him uneasy but still, the determined look on her face urged him on.

"Liberation!"

The feather shaped power materialized and sank in her chest as she lowered her head in submission, his voice echoing in her head.

"Nathalie. You were always so calm and collected- you have so much self-restraint to the point where your emotions are a mystery to everyone. I give you a small amount of freedom from your chains, my dear."

And with that, the locks on her chains were unlocked. Not opened but unlocked.

Once she opened her eyes with a wicked smile, her limbs felt weak and she almost collapsed to the floor if Aras hadn't caught her in time. She shut her eyes in frustration, her breathing slightly becoming ragged. Aras immediately carried her to the bed, placing her gently over the covers.

"Nathalie? A-are you alright?"

"I'm fine," she smiled. "Just a little overwhelmed is all."

Aras sighed as he de-transformed, Liiri immediately retreating in the pendant once she was no longer needed. Nooroo and Duusu hovered close warily.

"Miss Nathalie! You need rest!" Duusu reminded.

Nathalie smiled warmly, gesturing for her kwami to come to her. Duusu stared at her, bewildered, but squealed in excitement as she landed in her embrace.

"You're right, Duusu. Maybe I do need one," she ran a finger atop the little creatures head before her head snapped up as she returned to fix her gaze on Gabriel's to add, "That is if... you'd allow me, sir."

Gabriel didn't hide a smile as he kept his hands behind his back.

"Of course. You can return to work once you've rested enough."

He bent down slightly to free her face from her glasses and placed the object on the nightstand. He let her shift slightly as he placed the covers over her frail frame. He brushed the back of his fingers against her cheek for good measure.

"Thank you, Gabriel," she whispered as she slowly fell asleep on her side facing him with her kwami snuggling close to her face, planting a kiss on her owner's nose.

The man let out another silent sigh, bending on one knee to run a hand on her head.

"No. Thank you, Nathalie," he whispered back.

In transit to the atelier, Nooroo spoke.

"Master. What are we actually doing now?"

"A little experiment, Nooroo. We'll have to start slow before letting Nathalie's true liberation from her constraints entirely be freed."

"Mademoiselle is very conserved about her demeanor, Master. Wouldn't it be a breach of one's personal safe space if you let her out of her cage without her control?"

He stopped in his tracks, his lips parted for a moment before he looked at the little kwami who flinched under his gaze. His hands slightly tensed before relaxing as he reflected on his words.

"I..." he breathed. "I've already come this far. No time to think of the aftermath."

"Even Miss Nathalie's aftermath, Master?" he lowered his head at his owner's lack of response.

"I'm sorry. I'll keep quiet now."

"Would it be taking advantage of you if I brush your hair, Miss Nathalie?"

Nathalie had woken up half an hour ago and Duusu was there to greet her with an earsplitting squeal. She thought about the kwami's simple request. If Duusu's guess was correct, this Nathalie wouldn't decline such an innocent offer unlike the Nathalie she knew before. It's not that she didn't like her owner's usual attitude. But having her let loose and bearing with her childish antics was worthwhile.

"Of course not. You can brush my hair while I work on my laptop."

She grinned in triumph.

Her guess was right.

Nathalie's fingers typed expertly on the keyboard as Duusu brushed her hair. What the woman didn't notice was that her little companion had already styled her hair into a lace braided bun with a few strands of hair falling gracefully at both sides of her face.

"Okay, first of all. How were you able to keep that annoying piece of hair off of my face?"

"I have tiny hands, Miss Nathalie. I have some techniques learned by heart too."

She hummed in appreciation as she inspected herself in a handheld mirror Duusu provided her with.

"Alright. I admit that it's amazing. But, second, what makes you think I won't be taking this off anytime soon?"

Duusu chuckled and hovered over her head.

"The fact that the Agrestes' personal chef had already messaged you that Adrien's coming home for lunch early."

"What!"

She immediately picked up her phone that had been laying beside her and found the messages coming from both Adrien and the chef. The kwami suppressed her laughter as her owner immediately put on her slippers and dashed off to the kitchen.

Adrien sat patiently in the dining room, surprised that the food hadn't been prepared yet. That's when he found Nathalie walking hurriedly towards him with a tray of his lunch and some croissants along with a tall glass of water.

"Thank you, Nath- wow! I like the new look, Nathalie," he inspected her from his seat.

The woman only nodded as she looked away slightly to hide her embarrassment.

"I apologize for the way I'm dressed and my tardiness in setting the table, Adrien. I didn't know that you were coming home earlier than the expected time and I had to put your father's lunch in his office first before he arrived back."

"No, no. It's alright actually. It's great that I caught up to you in time though. I barely see you anymore. You look wonderful even in those pajamas and slippers," he smiled brightly before looking down at his food with a frown.

"So that means that my father isn't eating with me again."

Nathalie mirrored his frown as her arms stiffening behind her. She stood a little closer to him and placed a hand on his shoulder which made Adrien slightly flinch in surprise.

"I apologize on your father's behalf, Adrien. I know you only want to spend time with him."

His heart fluttered in delight at the gesture, making him smile at her.

"I understand. Really. Umm..."

"Yes, Adrien? Do you wish to say something?"

"Oh, I was just wondering... Would you sit with me for a while? I just missed you."

Nathalie stared in disbelief. Yes, it has been a while since she saw Adrien and his presence always made her relax and feel better from the weakness in her muscles. She smiled as she considered his offer,

"Yes. Of course."

"How long has your teacher been pregnant?"

"I don't quite remember. A few weeks maybe? All I remember was that she announced the news before the trip to New York. That's why she wasn't able to come."

"That's nice," she said, biting a piece of croissant earning a raised brow from the boy.

"What I mean is, it's nice that she's having a baby. The thought of being a mother is amazing and exciting. Taking care of a child melts a future mother's heart."

Adrien silently marveled at Nathalie's sudden openness. He couldn't help smiling at her as he placed a hand over hers. Nathalie looked up from her plate and held his hand on top of hers with her other one.

"I feel the same excitement everytime I take care of you, Adrien. You better remember that."

"Did you ever think about yourself? A life outside mine and father's? Did you ever dream about having a family of your own? Your own child?"

"I can't leave," she replied, letting go of his hand.

She fiddled with the croissant lying half-eaten on her plate. Her mind suddenly wandered amidst the silence. Of course, she wanted her own family too but that was hidden far behind her consciousness. She already presumed that she was already hopeless as a woman with her job occupying her most- all of the time. What good would relationships do anyway? Love is a nuisance.

It truly was a nuisance indeed. She was aware of how her beliefs had shifted for the worst as well as her feelings. Her employer was a living proof of her mistakes, regrets and so much more. To fall for him was the most dangerous move she had ever made. Her loyalty eradicated the thoughts of infidelity and uncertainty and she was sure that she had no other paths to take. The moment she stepped foot in this place, she should have realized it was a dead end. But she wasn't going to make this situation about her.

It never will be about her.

"Is it because of father? Is he disallowing you to quit?"

"No, no. Of course not, I love your father."

"You do?" Adrien asked in amazement.

"Of course I do. His genius trait in the fashion world made me admire him greatly. I know that he doesn't have... enough time for personal matters but, I can see him trying, Adrien. I know you might not feel it but, he cares deeply about you and he fears that something bad might happen to you too."

Adrien looked doubtful for a moment, his hands fiddling with the utensils he held.

"In what sense do you love him?"

Nathalie's eyes widened, his question making her choke slightly on a croissant.

"What? I never said I loved him."

"You did," he smirked as a blush became evident on her pale cheeks.

"I never-"

"I've been taught that lying is bad, Nathalie. Is it not?"

Nathalie sighed to herself in defeat, putting down the croissant that she had been holding.

"Indeed, it is," she forced out. "And I wouldn't want to be a bad example, Adrien."

"So, do you love him?"

She should have remained quiet. If she were in the right mind right now, she wouldn't have stricken up a conversation with the boy. She was starting to regret being the subject of Gabriel's little experiment. However, it was too late to back out once more.

Temporary.

The unlocked chains were temporary.

"He loves your mother," she said out of instinct.

Adrien's smirk fell, his face being replaced with a sympathetic smile.

"Nathalie... That wasn't the right answer..."

"Maybe you just gave me the wrong question," she countered, throwing a false accusatory glance at him. "Give me another question that I know the answer to. Algebra, for example."

"Nathalie... you're denying it," he raised a mischievous eyebrow, a smirk playing on his lips.

"Indeed I am," she said involuntary which made her hand fly on her mouth, wishing that her words could be deleted. "...not," she quickly added.

Damn that miraculous.

"Your expression begs to differ," Adrien teased.

"Since when did you become such an observant boy, Adrien?" she marveled. "But, I must have you know that what I feel is dispensable. Might as well forget that I said anything regarding him- your father."

"Nathalie... what you feel matters too, you know. I just want you to know that."

The teen got up from his seat and made his way around Nathalie, immediately wrapping his arms over her shoulders. Nathalie stiffened for the slightest moment. Not long before she shifted in her seat, hugging back with just as much desperation for a comforting touch. Adrien's grip tightened as he buried his face on her shoulder. Nathalie did the same, taking in the relaxing scent of his cologne.

"Nathalie?" he called, not withdrawing from her embrace. "You're suddenly... suddenly not your usual self. Not that I'm complaining or anything."

"Medicine," she replied automatically, still shutting her eyes as she hugged him close. "The medications they give me have these side-effects that may affect my emotional state."

Adrien pulled away, smiling at her. "I hope that you do get better, Nathalie. I can't bear to see you hurting. Medicine or not, I know you still care about me deep down. You just show it in different ways. And I love you for that, Nathalie," he placed a kiss on her forehead.

She smiled warmly, evidently touched by his loving gesture.

"You know I love you too."

"You better hurry. School's bound to start soon."

"Is it okay if I kiss your cheek?"

As a response, she tilted her head to the side, making way for Adrien's lips on her skin. The boy placed a kiss on each side with a final hug before grabbing his bag and dashing towards the car.

She sighed.

Temporary. This was all temporary.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

185K 8.5K 106
In the vast and perilous world of One Piece, where the seas are teeming with pirates, marines, and untold mysteries, a young man is given a second ch...
212K 9.6K 59
Orm Kornnaphat's feelings for Lingling Sirilak have undergone a transformation over time. Initially, at the age of 11, Orm held an unromantic, platon...
4.9K 130 17
Tree is a private investigator in the busy city of Mergerville. So when Apple turns up dead, and the police turn a blind eye, it's up to Tree to find...
375K 12.6K 74
𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐀 𝐨𝐧𝐞. gilmore girls universe. π™š | B L U E Λ–βΊβ€§β‚ŠΛšβ™‘Λšβ‚Šβ€§βΊΛ– ─── blue eyes like the sea on a cold, rainy day ❝ π˜‰π˜“π˜œπ˜Œ π˜Œπ˜ π˜Œπ˜‹ π˜‰π˜Œπ˜ˆπ˜œπ˜›οΏ½...