Never Getting Back Together

By krystimeyerbooks

Gilmore Girls meets Sweet Home Alabama in this Watty-Award winning, small-town, second-chance romance! Quinn... More

ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
EPILOGUE
AUTHOR'S NOTE

THIRTY

11.4K 801 223
By krystimeyerbooks

Ty's eyes are fixed on the ground as I walk over to him. His throat bobs, and I can tell he's fighting to control some kind of emotion. I'd give anything to know what's going through his mind. Because it doesn't feel like I'm wearing my heart on my sleeve so much as dangling it over a cliff. All I can do is put it out there and brace for the impact.

"Hey." I aim for an easygoing tone and miss. My voice is practically a croak. It's impossible to tell whether or not Ty noticed. He gives me the most cursory of nods but doesn't say anything.

It's all I can do to keep my feet from doing a one-eighty and running to the safety of the pool house. But I know if I don't risk it all and tell him how I feel, I'll always regret it.

"Should we get this party started?" I ask, forcing myself to sound upbeat even though I can hardly breathe through the dread pooling in my stomach.

"Yep." Ty doesn't look at me, but I take any verbal communication as a good sign. It's a low bar, but I need to cling to any remaining shreds of positivity if I'm going to survive the next five minutes.

Ty turns on his heel and marches up the gazebo steps like he's going off to war. He might as well be stomping all over my heart. I can feel it crumbling inside me, but I do my best to pick up the pieces and hustle after him.

The crowd must be eager for us to start the movie because they burst into a round of applause, much more enthusiastic than the situation calls for. Liv whistles and Betty lets out a loud, "Ow, ow!" I spot the Rossi's sitting on a quilt toward the center of the park. Lucia catches my eye and shoots me a discreet wink and a thumbs-up.

A thrill of confidence spikes through me, but it's short-lived. I glance over at Ty, and my stomach sinks. His arms are crossed over his chest, and he stares blankly out at the audience. He shifts his weight from foot to foot like he's ready to bolt the second this thing is over.

I remind myself that the hard part's almost done. I just have to get through the next few minutes. Then I'll know if Ty and I have a future together or if we'll be left with nothing but memories.

My hands tremble as I step up to the microphone. My fear of public speaking is attempting to make a comeback, but I'm determined to see this through.

"Hello, Rosedale." My words are shaky and quiet, but you'd think I said them with all the bravado of a head cheerleader with the way everyone responds. They clap and holler, and their enthusiasm gives me courage. My voice is steadier as I say. "Thank you so much for being here tonight. It's a relief to see your faces. We were worried all our smack-talk about the movie options might have convinced you to skip the event this year."

There are some appreciative chuckles from the crowd. I peek over at Ty. A muscle in his jaw ticks, but he doesn't make a move toward the mic. Okay. Apparently, I'm doing this by myself.

I clear my throat. "We're so grateful to all of you for playing along and casting your votes—"

"Which movie won?" Gary shouts from his place in the front row, cutting me off.

"I'm getting there, Gary. I promise." I hold up a hand, and laughter trickles through the park. "But first, let's give a big thanks to Giselle for providing the amazing food for all the events." I take a step back from the mic and clap my hands together. Everyone follows suit, even Ty. He might be mad at me, but he's not a jerk. He cheers for Giselle along with everybody else as she takes a bow.

It doesn't look like Ty's about to take over this speech anytime soon, though. His feet remain firmly planted where they are. I'm sure forcing me to do this alone is his way of punishing me. I can't pretend that doesn't sting, but he's also unintentionally doing me a favor. Now, I can just say what I came here to say and see where we stand.

"We also wanted to thank you all for participating in the events. We hope you had a great time, but we'll very happily be handing the reigns back to Paula next year." I keep saying 'we' as though Ty and I have actually discussed any of this. We've barely said a word to one another, but almost no one else knows that. They clap, and Paula gives a little wave.

"And now, for the moment you've all been waiting for," I say, and a hush falls over the park. There's definitely a power in public speaking. Having everyone hanging on your every word is kind of neat. I could get used to it if it wasn't for the hurricane of butterflies in my stomach.

"I'm thrilled to announce that this year's film is one that's near and dear to me," I say. I can practically feel Ty rolling his eyes. I ignore him and push onward. "This movie's special to me because it's special to someone I love with my whole heart."

I look over at Ty. His expression is stone, and he's still gazing vacantly at the crowd. I'm sure he thinks I'm referring to Liv or Betty. I don't take my eyes off of him as I say. "In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm going to love this person for the rest of my life."

There are some 'awwwws' from the audience, even though I doubt they know what I'm talking about. Ty's eyebrows furrow in confusion, making it clear he doesn't either. But he also doesn't bother looking at me, which makes this simultaneously easier and a hundred times more impossible.

"Ladies and gentlemen," I say through the lump building in my throat, "we present to you...The Bourne Identity."

Ty's eyes finally snap to mine just as someone hits the lights, cloaking us in darkness.

The crowd erupts. I wonder if anyone else notices how much louder the boos are from everyone who voted for Ever After than the cheers from those who voted for The Bourne Identity. They're by far outnumbered. But it's hard to care when I just lobbed my heart at Ty and have no choice but to wait while he decides what to do with it.

I can't see Ty, but I can feel the weight of his gaze on me as I grab onto the railing and hurry down the steps. I walk around to the back of the movie screen, away from all the prying eyes. Very few people know what my little spiel was about, but I think I made it apparent that I was declaring my undying love for Ty. Whether he chases after me or disappears from my life again, I will probably want some privacy.

I lean against the screen, staring into the night. A few lighting bugs flitter between the trees. Seeing them here feels like a good omen. But the anticipation clamped around my chest is so intense, it's a wonder I haven't started hyperventilating.

Thankfully, Ty doesn't make me wait long. I hear the hush of shoes on the grass next to me, and I'm sure it's him even before he says, "I thought you said Ever After won."

I turn to face him as the movie starts, illuminating the edges of the screen and casting us in bright, flickering light. Shadows dance across Ty's face. His jaw's still set in a hard line. But there's an unmistakable glimmer of hope in his eyes that sends my heart soaring like a balloon in a wind storm.

"It did." I swallow down the deluge of tears threatening to escape. "But that was before I voted. I don't know if anyone told you, but if you help plan the festival, you get a thousand extra votes."

"Is that so?" Ty takes a step into me, so we're only a heartbeat apart.

"It is." I nod. "But I didn't vote for The Bourne Identity. I voted for you, Ty. If I had a million votes, I'd vote for you every single time."

Ty reaches out, and his fingers find mine. He laces our hands together, and his lips curve into a smile made of shooting stars and happy-ever-afters. "Did you mean what you said back there?"

"I meant every word." A tear streaks down my face as I set my palm against his cheek. He leans his forehead against mine, and we stand like that for a beat, breathing each other in. The familiar smell of his cologne floods me with so many memories it makes my head spin.

"I'm so sorry for not being patient. I should have waited for you to tell me about your mom when you were ready." I say. "Letting go of control and trusting in anyone is hard for me, but I should've believed in you. You deserve that much."

Ty rubs a hand over his neck, nodding. "I should've believed in you too, Quinn, and I should've told you what was happening. My mom said you stopped by yesterday." He laughs, but his voice is thick. "She also yelled at me for not telling you what was happening from the beginning." His hands drift to my waist, and he pulls me against him. "I just didn't know how to talk to you after everything that happened between us. And you didn't exactly seem happy to see me again."

I wince because he's right. I felt a lot of things when I saw Ty standing next to Betty's swimming pool last week, but happiness definitely wasn't one of them.

I twine my fingers behind Ty's neck. My thumbs graze the fine hairs there, and he shivers. Being open and making myself vulnerable is like stepping off a ledge without a safety net. But having Ty's arms around me after all that we've been through makes me want to believe he'll always be there to catch me. "It hurt too much seeing you and not being with you," I admit. "I'm still so in love with you."

I feel his breath hitch in his chest, and his eyes gleam with emotion. "I love you too. So, so much." His fingers trail up and down my spine, and he swallows. "But if I'm going to be in this, Quinn, then I'm all in. I need you to be sure this is what you want. I can't have you questioning everything and breaking up with me when I go back to California to finish school in the spring. I can't go through that again."

"I know. I can't either." I shake my head, and a few tears trickle down my face. I brush them away with my shoulder because I hate the idea of letting go of Ty for a second. "I'm all in too. I want to be with you always."

"Yeah?" Ty's voice is hopeful, and his eyes dance with so much joy and love. I can see my entire future in those eyes.

In answer, I stand on my tiptoes and press my lips to his. He runs his hand over my hair, and I pull him closer until there's not a gap of space anywhere between us. I never want to be apart again. Our lips move together, slow and sweet, like we have all the time in the world. And for the first time, I truly believe that we do.

Ty wraps his arms tightly around me and lifts me off the ground. I let out a whoop of surprise as he spins me around in a circle, kissing me until we're both laughing. I'm dizzy with happiness. I could live in this moment for all my life.

Ty gently sets me back down, pressing kisses to my cheeks and forehead. "We probably need to go back out there at some point." He sighs and jerks his head toward the movie screen. I'd gotten so caught up in him I forgot that all our friends and family members were sitting just on the other side.

"Right." I reach up and trace his lips with my fingertips. "We'll pick this up later?"

"You better believe it." Ty brushes the gentlest of kisses against my mouth and takes my hand. "You ready?"

"As long as you're holding my hand, I'm ready for anything."

Ty winks at me, pulling me after him and making everything inside me turn to mush. But before I can all-out swoon, the squealing of car tires echoes through the speakers, and Gary yells, "Go! Go! Go! They're right behind you!"

Apparently, he was the only person paying attention to the movie, though. The second Ty and I walk out from behind the screen holding hands, the park explodes with applause. Liv and Betty are actually jumping up and down. Paula wolf whistles. Jenny is all-out bawling, arms wrapped around Old Man Jenkins's neck, who just looks confused. Marco and Ty's sisters are clapping wildly, and Lucia blows the two of us a kiss.

"About freaking time," Francie hollers.

My face is so hot, I'm sure it's on the verge of bursting into actual flames. I'm ready to go hide behind the screen again, but when I look up at Ty, he's beaming at me.

"The people came for a show." He shrugs and raises an eyebrow in a question.

I narrow my eyes at him. "You're going to be the death of me, Ty Rossi." Embarrassment beats through me like a pulse, but I can't fight the smile creeping across my face. I give a tiny nod, and Ty crushes his mouth to mine, kissing me until I'm breathless and everyone's cheering.

"Have I mentioned that my dad's here?" I ask, gasping for air as we break apart.

"Are you serious?" The mischievous grin falls from Ty's face, replaced by a look of utter terror.

"You'll be fine." I give him a pat on the shoulder. "It's been years since the last time you got me arrested. He's most likely over it by now."

Ty groans, but he puts an arm around my waist and presses a kiss to my hair.

My watch buzzes against my wrist. I glance down and see a text from Janet.

Janet: At the end of the day, all we have is who we are and the people we love.

I couldn't agree more, Janet, I think as I take Ty's hand and lead him through the park toward my family. I know I'll love Ty forever. Something tells me that no matter what obstacles we face in the future, we are always going to get back together.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47K 7.1K 35
[WATTYS 2021 SHORTLIST] With only one month left to live, an eighteen-year-old is forced to attend high school and enjoy new experiences: parties, fu...
2.4M 81.7K 53
(Complete) After a terrible encounter at a party, one year later, Hailey Fonte is ready to return to her hometown. With everyone against her because...
461K 19.2K 60
Dylan Gold was only six years old when her mother died. Soon after, her father remarried a woman that despised her. At school, her step-siblings pret...
509K 13.5K 41
Highest rankings: Frenemies: #1 (2nd May 2020) Charming: #2 (19th July 2020) Follow my Instagram for any updates and if you have any questions: @nikk...