If we were lovers|Sirius Black

By TearsF0rFears

"Secrets bond the soul." Bexley looked at him from across the room, longing to be held by him. "We must be... More

᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ CAST ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃
Animals.
5 Galleons.
Breaking bones and rules.
Blood,blood,blood.
Parchment.
Pleasantries.
Open arms.
Feuds.
Scheming.
Bated breath.
Mythology.
Adoration.
Eyes.
Suspicion.
Help.
Possession.
Midnight stroll.
Gentle.
Young Black.
Scrabble.
Birthday surprise.
Peculiar.
Devour.
Remorse.
Thantophobia.
Fatal.
Petal.
Test subject.
Lessons.
Virtue.
Champagne.
Weapon.
Direction.
Belt.
Pleading.
Hope.
Conviction.
Stutter.
Biting.
The Fall.
Smile.
Author's note.
Epilogue

Chess.

3.5K 105 80
By TearsF0rFears

It was a difficult night in the Hospital Wing, Sirius shivered and sweated all night, his bandages frequently being reapplied, Bexley stayed by his side the entire night.

"Dear, don't you think you should change?" Madam Pomfrey suggested gently as she gestured to Bexley's bloody appearance.

"I don't want to leave, just in case he wakes up." She smiled sadly at her, but Madam Pomfrey let her be. Bexley leant forwards in her chair and cautiously held Sirius's hand. His chest heaved under his bandages and she wished it were her instead of him, she wished his childish grin would just return to his face and this was all a sick joke, she would scold him but eventually fall into his arms and all would be well in the world.

"How is he?" James settled in the seat opposite her.

"He still hasn't woken up, but Madam Pomfrey applied some herbs to his bandages, she thinks they'll work." James nodded in approval and sank into the chair. "What happened last night James?" She asked sincerely, her tired eyes meeting his apprehensive ones.

"I don't know. They had been arguing a lot recently and last night, we came up to the common room and they were shouting at each other."

"About what?" Bexley interrupted.

"I didn't ask, I just tried to split them up. Next thing I knew, Remus was running out and into the Forest and well, then this." He motioned to Sirius "I just found him lying there, I thought he was gone." James trembled at the idea.

"He's here. He's a fighter, he'll be around a lot longer to annoy us all." Quiet chuckles came from the two as they watched Sirius flinch in his sleep, Bexley squeezed his hand and took a damp towel to his forehead.

"Any sign of Remus?" James pondered.

"I've been here since last night. I was hoping he'd be with you guys."

"He'll be okay, Dumbledore probably found him." James nodded his head knowingly. "I see you've done some reading." He gestured to the tattered book on Sirius's beside.

Bexley thumbed the book and sighed "It says he won't transform, just have some altered characteristics."

"So steak rarer than usual?"

"Exactly." Bexley chuckled and cast her eye back over Sirius. You're going to wake up soon, I know it, she tried somehow to communicate with him, as if he could hear her thoughts, foolish of her of course but it comforted her in believing they were so connected that he was embedded in her brain.

"Good morning Mr Potter, Miss Morgan." Dumbledore glided to the end of Sirius's bed and the two turned to him. "Madam Pomfrey has informed me he's on the road to recovery."

"Have you seen Remus sir?" James interjected.

"Mr Lupin is at present getting some well-needed rest."

"Can we see him?" Bexley rose from her chair, only to be returned by Dumbledore's simple shake of the head.

"I think it wise we all have some time alone. In that regard, Mrs Black has requested Sirius return home today and for you Miss Morgan to chaperone whilst he is on the train, she doesn't like the idea of him being alone. She's eager to meet you, or so her letter says."

"Hmph, she had no trouble leaving him alone when he was a boy." James ground his teeth and clenched his knuckles.

"Quite Mr Potter, however, those are her wishes."

"But Professor, I- we, well" How could Bexley phrase it lightly that Sirius and herself were no longer an item and it would not be suited for her to return home with him.

"Miss Morgan, I do believe he needs you right now." Dumbledore's words dripped in sincerity and Bexley's words faltered.

"Of course, I'll go pack my trunk."

"No need, I believe Miss Evans has taken care of this for you and packed a few books for your entertainment." Lily's head peered around the door of the Hospital Wing, Bexley's trunk ready to burst open.

"Only a few books hey Lil?" She smiled bashfully and dropped the case, running into Bexley's arms. "Godric I missed you." Lily's hair tickled her nose and she loved it, she missed her best friend, she missed her other half. "How are you?"

"Oh same old, how's he?" Lily gestured to Sirius.

"He's a fighter," Bexley answered tearfully.

"Indeed he is." Lily pulled Bexley into another hug and slipped something into her pocket "Read it when you're alone." Bexley nodded and together they all headed down to Hogsmead station.

As they approached, Bexley was surprised to see a matt black train, the same style as the Hogwarts Express, just a different colour, hues of green reflecting in the light.

"Of course they have a train." Bexley huffed and pulled her luggage onto the train, she watched the conductors and healers carefully manoeuvre Sirius onto the train and away from her sight. "I'll be back soon Lily." Bexley wiped away a single tear and hugged Lily as if her life depended on it.

"Five days." Lily muffled into Bexley's shoulder.

"Five days." She reaffirmed, Bexley guided Lily to James and hugged him too.

"Keep safe." He whispered in her ear and with that, Bexley boarded the Black Express, as she called it.

"Here you are, ma'am." Bexley was guided to a sitting area and her luggage was whisked away.

"Oh, will I not be able to sit with Sirius?"

"Master Black is resting." The conductor answered curtly before disappearing into the other compartment.

"Pleasant." Bexley deplored and settled into a green velvet chair, resting her head on the window she felt a pang in her chest as she bore away from Hogwarts and away from the Marauders. To keep her mind at bay, she retrieved a book from the shelf and flicked through it, a tale of a pureblood and his 'tragic' sacrifice of his family to uphold his name. Bexley shoved it back onto the shelf and her fingers clung to a childhood favourite, she settled back in the chair and readjusted the pillows, devouring the words. As the day drew on and Bexley was making her way through her second book, it slowly began to slip from her fingers and her eyelids grew heavy.

"There's a bed in the back if you require it." A charming voice uttered and Bexley's eyes snapped open.

"Regulus! I didn't know you'd be coming." She sat upright and smoothed her cloak, not realising it was still bloody from the previous evening. "Oh."

"Here." Regulus rummaged around in a cupboard and retrieved a plain black dress and cloak, Bexley raised an eyebrow at it. "Mother always insisted on keeping spare garments. Just in case we too found ourselves stained with blood. Through the compartment, first door on the left." Bexley thanked him and followed his instructions, quickly changing in the bathroom, a porter retrieved her uniform from her and promised it back shortly. "Better?"

"Much." And it was, Bexley felt lighter without the horror of Sirius's blood splattered over her. "So, a ball."

"Yes. I didn't fancy it but Mother insisted we abide by formalities." Regulus inspected his nails and Bexley resumed her seat.

"Any tips on how to get on your mother's good side?" Bexley asked, trying to ease the atmosphere and genuinely seeking advice.

"Be pure-blooded for starters."

"Ah, yes very useful, thank you Regulus." Bexley rolled her eyes and caught Regulus's grin in the reflection of the window. Silence filled the carriage and the gentle bobbing of the train took Bexley further into depletion.

"How is he?" Regulus inquired modestly, almost shamefully.

"On the mend. If only your conductor would let me see him." Bexley replied scornfully and Regulus chuckled quietly to himself.

"That'll be mother's doing. She's isolating you, have you all to herself." He turned to her and there was something in his face which told her he enjoyed her torment.

"Yes, well I'm quite good at being on my own." Bexley folded her arms over her chest and this time it was she who turned away from him.

"Now that's pitiful." Regulus joked, Bexley, scoffed and ignored him. "Just making conversation."

"If mockery is your idea of a conversation I'd prefer silence."

"I can't see why Sirius chose you."

"I'm guessing you don't have many friends." Bexley snapped.

"I'm better alone." Intrusiveness got the better of her and she mulled over Regulus's words.

"What did you mean?" Regulus looked her considerately in the eye, before answering.

"Sirius tended to veer towards who didn't have a brain, just simply answered yes and stuck their tongue down his throat." Bexley swallowed the lump in her throat and looked out at the rain beating against the window, it seemed the closer they got to Grimmauld Place, the more mournful the world got. "I can't stand that sour expression." Regulus rose and shuffled around the compartment before sitting in front of Bexley with a leather box, he pried it open and set up a board and pieces. "Stop sulking and let's play." Bexley faced him and watched as he organised his pieces, she obliged and they began a game of Wizards Chess.

***

"I think they'd call that cheating Regulus." Bexley nudged him as they left the train and waited for their carriage to the Black's home. Wizards Chess had been quite fun with Regulus and he most definitely let her win, but it brightened her expression and he would do it again, Bexley's eyes turned pitiable as she watched Sirius placed into another carriage, a larger one without her.

"Come on." Regulus pushed her gently into the smaller carriage which stopped in front of them and within a few minutes, they arrived in front of a row of identical houses, yet number 12 Grimmauld Place still seemed to stand out like a sore thumb. Bexley's heart thumped against her ribcage as she followed Regulus up the stairs and she wobbled on the step, Regulus's hand caught her arm and steadied her. "It's only a few days. At least you didn't have to grow up here." Bexley laughed pitifully and Regulus seemed pleased with himself, she straightened up and held her head high as a butler, she presumed, opened the door. Inside matched the design of the train, whilst sophisticated, it was morbid and it reeked of refinement. They were guided into a large dining room, yet again Sirius was taken out of sight. Bexley's eyes landed on the head of the table, Mrs Walburga Black and Mr Orion Black, it was too late to back out now, like a predator they sprung up and crept to their prey.

"Bexley Morgan, great things I have heard." Mrs Black spoke with a tinge of poison.

"Mrs Black, it is an honour to be here. Thank you for inviting me to your lovely home." Bexley's voice did not match her frantic mind.

"The pleasure is ours. Regulus dear, you look well. Now, supper?"

"Actually Mother, we're both rather tired from the train ride and hoped we could go straight to bed." Regulus placed his hand on the small of Bexley's back and discouraged her from countering him. Walburga eyed him wearily before curtly nodding and ordering the butlers around.

"I take it you will show Bexley to her room. I pray we have more time to converse in the morning. Good night Bexley."

"Good night Mrs Black." Regulus escorted her out of the room and straight up the stairs.

"I was actually quite hungry," Bexley whispered as they went up countless flights of stairs.

"Don't fret, I'll ask Kreacher to bring you something." At Bexley's quizzical look he added that this was their house-elf and Bexley raised her eyebrows in disapproval. Finally, they stopped walking and Bexley found herself stationed at the top of the house, a floor above where Sirius resided.

"Try to stay in your room." Regulus advised.

"What if I need the loo?"

"Come now Bexley we aren't uncivilised, you have an en suite. Kreacher will come in a moment with something to eat. I'll see you tomorrow, good night."

"Thank you Regulus." She needn't say anymore as his conveyed he understood she truly was thankful for his assistance in dealing with his mother. Bexley entered the room and it was nothing like she expected, it reminded her of the Gryffindor common room to be precise. Maroon warmed the room and the roaring fire made her feel as if she never left Hogwarts. On closer admiration of the room it actually looked far more like the Room of Requirements, had Sirius organised this for her before their demise? She smiled at the thought and stood at the foot of the grand bed, yes this was most definitely his doing. She unpacked her luggage and quickly changed into her red checkered pyjama bottoms and an old T-shirt of Sirius's. Bexley inhaled his scent and if she closed her eyes, she could imagine him embracing her, she was pulled from her intoxication by a tap at the door, pulling it open slightly she saw Kreacher. Opening the door wider she welcomed him in and thanked him as he placed a tray of soup and bread on a foot stall.

"Master Regulus instructs that I am at your service for your stays at Grimmauld Place."

"Thank you Kreacher but I don't want to bother you if there are things you must get done." Bexley wiped her mouth with the back of her hand as she tucked into the bread.

"I must abide by Master Regulus."

"Oh, yes of course. Well um I shall let you know if there is anything I need help with. Possibly a map to get round this place." Bexley joked, yet Kreacher nodded and stated he would retrieve her one by tomorrow. "Good night Kreacher." As he exited the room he muttered something incoherently, she let it be and continued to finish her dinner.

Bexley lay on the warm bed with a full stomach and tired eyes, yet she couldn't sleep. No position was comfortable, the pillows didn't seem right and what she realised was missing was Sirius. This was the bed they had always shared together and as she rolled on her side, her arm stretched out to wear he should be. Bexley mulled over Regulus's warning to stay in her room, but it couldn't hurt to go and see him surely? Sliding off the bed, Bexley pulled on a pair of fluffy socks Sirius often mocked and retrieved the candle holder from the mantel piece and just to be safe, she tucked her wand in the elastic of her trousers.

Listening at the door for any movement, she determined it was safe and opened the door a sliver, all was dark and no voices nor movement could be hear. Stealthily she shut the door behind her and scurried along the corridor and down the stairs, stepping slowly and cautiously for any creaking steps.

Finally, she reached the floor of Sirius's room. Wandering along the vacant bedrooms she passed Regulus's and stopped for a moment, listening in she could hear the soft hum of music and she smiled. Continuing her search she reached the end of the floor and Sirius's bedroom. She tapped lightly and with no response, stepped inside.

The walls were similar to hers in adorning Gryffindor colours. Rolling her eyes as she noticed the muggle posters of girls in bikini's, twisting her mouth in simpering annoyance. Swiftly moving on from them, scolding herself for her impudent
jealousy.

Posters of Quidditch teams and the Gryffindor banner decorated his walls and centre stage was an image of the Marauders, yet more recently was an image of herself and Sirius. Her fingers gently caressed the picture and she advanced towards his bed. Sirius lay peacefully, his curls moving slightly each time he exhaled.

The candle was set to the side and Bexley climbed in beside him, he was warm but not feverish and Bexley  looked at his messy bandages. She frowned that they had not been changed since returning and decided upon doing it herself, carefully undoing each one she threw them on the fire to burn and retrieved clean ones from his bathroom. Before she applied clean ones, her fingers lightly danced across the gashes on his chest and torso. Tracing the marks as if she made them, Bexley's eyes welled and her heart sank at the thought of him in pain. No matter what happened between them she would never wish harm upon him and set about reapplying his bandaging. As she finished he shifted in his sleep and his arm wrapped around her middle, pulling her down and towards him. Bexley was rigid at the surprising movement, but as familiarity crept back in she melted into his arms and wrapped her legs around his as she always did and ran her fingers through his hair, Sirius's breath tickling her cheek and that was the way she fell asleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

60.2K 1.8K 28
Summary: Josephine Potter has lived her entire life in second place. She may be funny, but her older twin brother could always make people laugh. She...
2.5M 78.9K 187
In which the marauders generation watch Athena Potters life and see the dangers of which awaits them. Where friends becomes enemies and enemies becom...
319K 7.9K 54
Jasmine Ashley Evans, sister to Lily Evans. They were best friends growing up, maybe that was just because they're twins. They get their letters to g...
1.5M 60.4K 116
"Words, Black. Words and sentences..." Adelaide Rose Fawley, member of the sacred 28, The Pureblood Princess, heiress to the Most Noble and Ancient H...