Off the Deep End

由 walkerofthestars

A mission goes South and Robin is in the firing line from Batman- literally. In the face of Tony Zucco being... 更多

Welcome to this Mess
A Mistake
Fallout
Precipice
Rock Bottom
Adventure
A Final Shock
Trials and Tribulations
Mandatory Emotional Baggage
Bee's Nest
The Six Year Benchmark
Malina Island
Depths
Alice's Rabbit Hole
The Archimedean
Bridge
A Mountain Raid
Before the Dawn
Crossing Wires
The Fix
Complications
Preparations
Summit
Endgame
Epilogue
Credit Roll

Meeting

789 34 18
由 walkerofthestars

A/N

Wooooo, did y'all enjoy last chapter? Some pretty big stuff happened, huh? Yeah, M'Gann's attempts at acting were real fun...

okay, I'm kidding, I'm obviously talking about Dick and Kaldur.

I am not a romance person, I really suck at writing it. Maybe it's cause I'm ace, I dunno, but I stretched my romance muscle writing Kaldur and Dick's interactions for this story in hopes that I could sprinkle things around and make the lead up decently realistic. If we're being honest there was no way I was gonna manage to write a realistic progression from friends to lovers in such a short time span, but I hope i did okay with what time and energy I did put in. 

Anyway, Onwards!

Dick was a light traveller, he had been since he'd run away from the manor with only one bag. It wasn't hard to get all his shit together.

Which made it great because he needed to skedaddle.

He'd kissed Kaldur. Like, on the lips. Like a real kiss.

Why the fuck did he do that? What the fuck was he thinking?

So, he had to get his ass out of there, because if he saw Kaldur again he would pull him aside and talk to him about it. which would be awkward. And get him into a huge mess. And he'd probably kiss him again. FUCK.

He realised he was basically falling back on his teenaged plan of just running away from your problems, but Dick had had enough problems already. He'd been working alongside Kaldur for months, and he'd been piled on with more issues than the past two years.

He said bye to Slade on his way out then snuck past Artemis to the ship. He'd left a note for Kaldur, with just the basic 'hi, I'm too scared to talk to you right now, bye' kind of thing. And now it was time to get out before he got stuck any longer.

The ride on the ship to the mainland was quick, he emerged at the Bludhaven docks. He just had to get to Lex Corp's building, get to the roof, by the time he was there Duvall would have arrived with the chopper.

He strapped his bag to his back and mock saluted the trooper manning the sub as he exited. He knew Bludhaven's streets pretty well, so he was able to stuff his hands in his pockets and let his mind wander.

Until he caught sight of a tail.

Someone was following him. just a shadow in the background.

Dick took three rights. He managed to catch them as he crossed the road. The shadow became a smudge of black and copper.

Dick sighed and rolled his eyes, ducking into an alley, turning down at the end of it to a small area behind a store. He crossed his arms and stared at the sky, almost orange and getting darker by the second.

"caught me?"

"you slipped on Burt street," he said, looking at the entrance of the alley.

Artemis crossed her arms.

"what?"

Did Kaldur tell her and now she was coming after him to make him talk to Kaldur?

"I want you to come with me."

Dick raised his eyebrows, "yes officer, are we going to the station?"

Artemis didn't laugh, "easy way or hard way, dude, come on."

"I've got a dead line, Arty," he smiled, "can't miss my flight."

"yeah, I thought you'd say that."

Dick smiled and took off his bag.

Then dodged Kaldur's attempt at tackling him from behind.

Artemis brought out her crossbow, Dick figured there were drugged darts loaded in it.

Dick dodged the hits from Kaldur, smiling the whole time. With how much he was moving and how close to Kaldur he was Artemis couldn't shoot. Dick dodged a punch, dived closer and landed a punch to the gut.

"this is not a good first date," he laughed. Then twisted so Kaldur was in front of him so Artemis wouldn't shoot.

"come on Dick."

"what is this about?" he asked.

"nothing personal," Artemis said, "just knew you wouldn't come if we asked you."

"come to what?" Dick frowned.

Kaldur kicked backwards into his shin, twisted and grabbed his arm to pull him around. Dick elbowed him, but he was now at point blank for Artemis, who had had time to aim and prepare by now.

The dart sunk into his shoulder. Dick kicked, moving away. He pulled the dart out, reaching for his electrum-

"it's an invention of my father's," Artemis said, "fucks about with Lazarus."

Dick blinked, finding himself unable to grab a hold of his electrum. It was slipping from his fingers, as if something was blocking it.

"fine," Dick sighed, settling into a stance, "don't need it."

Maybe not under normal circumstance, but the drug was fast acting and he was against two people. After a bit of back and forth he took a hit and went down. Kaldur grabbed one shoulder and Artemis the other, they awkwardly carried him.

He blinked at the ground, swirling beneath him.

"what... the hell.. was in that-that drug?" he slurred.

"it hinders Lazarus, figured that'd knock out your electrum, seeing as they're apparently intermingled."

Dick frowned, not quite blacking out but standing on the edge of it. there shouldn't be any Lazarus in his bloodstream, it should have disappeared like a month after he was put in the pits. Artemis seemed to have made a lucky guess that turned out true, his electrum must have grabbed onto it and evolved. There was enough still in his system for it to be affected, apparently.

"hones...ly," Dick slurred, "fuck both of you."

Kaldur laughed, "truly, we are sorry, but we knew you wouldn't come if we asked you."

"where are we," he swallowed, having held on to the word 'we' for a bit too long, "going?"

"a meeting with the gang," Artemis smiled, "you excited to see Babs and Wally again?"

Ah, shit.

"you'rrrrrrrr right," he slurred, "I woul'n't have come."

Shit, how long would it take this shit to wear off?

In the end it seemed that Artemis had measured the dose specifically so Dick would only be able to start walking again once they reached the warehouse. As soon as Dick was able to get his feet under him he tugged his arms away and leant against the wall, scowling.

"what the hell!" he turned on them, still slightly dizzy, words finally starting to come out clearly.

"hey, you said it yourself, you wouldn't have come." Artemis was standing with a hand on her hip, smirking.

"do you realise what's going to happen in there?" Dick asked, eyes narrowed and pointing a finger in her face, stumbling a little to the side as he walked, "Wally's probably going to hit me, Babs definitely will, and then I'm going to stand there awkwardly while you plan some world-saving plot."

"yes," Kaldur said, "and you're going to help plan the world saving plot." he smiled, crossed his arms, "and Wally and Babs are going to hit you."

"hey, you may as well come, we're here now."

Dick stared, "are you kidding, fuck y'all."

Kaldur grabbed him by the shoulder and dragged him in, although Dick kinda gave up half way seeing as there was no chance Kaldur was going to stop. The only way this night ended was him having to call Duvall and explain why he was late.

"you realise when I don't show up, they're gonna come looking for me."

"we'll deal with that if it happens," Artemis shrugged.

If? Dick almost laughed.

He'd caught Isabel in his peripheral vision at some point. She likely wouldn't perceive Kaldur and Artemis as a threat thanks to the fact that she'd seen him with them before, but she was a clever little bird. He wouldn't be surprised if she ended up leading Duvall to him.

They walked in, the whole place was quiet. Rows upon rows of shelves were filed throughout the majority of the building. The ceiling was high and around the circumference of the room was a mezzanine.

Dick felt severely underdressed, considering Kaldur and Artemis were in their armour, he was stuck in civvies.

But they turned down a hall of shelves, and standing against the wall was Babs and Wally.

And M'Gann. And Superboy.

Oh shit.

Wally was almost relieved that Kaldur called another in-person meeting. He needed to see them, he needed to talk, he needed to be sure they were alive.

And then M'Gann told him that Kaldur would probably drag Dick along and Wally had a whole new reason to look forward to the meeting.

He wasn't in uniform, he was just wearing a jacket and jeans. He kind of missed the lenses of his mask, they were way better than his glasses.

Conner arrived on his own. M'Gann arrived with Batgirl. When she saw him she ran up and hugged him then pointed at his glasses.

"you look nice in glasses," she smiled, "very fancy."

Wally grinned, "nice to see you, too."

"where have you been?" M'Gann asked, "I haven't seen you since Raquel's Christmas party."

"well," Wally stuffed his hands in his pockets. How did he explain that he'd technically been spending the past year or so looking for Dick, and now they all found out he was a fucking assassin, "I've been around."

"you were working in Jump, right?" Conner asked, frowning, "haven't seen you on the news in a while."

"yeah, I haven't been working there in a while."

And then the awkward silence began.

Wally cleared his throat, "anyway, how are you?"

God, he missed being a teenager, adult-ing was hard. Small talk? He couldn't figure it out.

They all laughed, though, as if he'd made a joke and he ran with it.

"how long is it gonna take them to show up?" M'Gann asked.

"not much longer."

They all whipped their heads down the hall of shelves. Not far away, Kaldur and Tigress were walking up with-

Dick.

Wally stared, wide eyed.

M'Gann flew over to Artemis and enveloped her in a hug, the two smiling. Artemis strode up to Batgirl and held her hand out for an arm-clasp, copying one of Kaldur's common gestures. Batgirl took hold of her hand but pulled her into a hug as well.

"uh, hi," Conner greeted, seemingly trying to figure out how to handle this.

"hi," Kaldur echoed, seemingly just as awkward.

Wally was staring at Dick, hesitating and lingering behind Artemis and Kaldur. The rest of them seemed to all focus in on him as well.

he didn't bother smiling awkwardly or waving.

Wally brushed past Kaldur and punched him. Dick didn't stop him, his head whipping back as Wally's fist connected.

he blinked and rubbed at his jaw, "you've definitely got better on your right hook," he muttered.

Wally hit him again, and Dick stared, annoyed. When Wally tried for another hit Dick caught it.

"I think two's enough."

"I should get at least one per year," Wally hissed.

"I could stretch it to two," Conner glared, stepping forward.

"okay, calm down," Artemis held her hands up, "this is a meeting not a beat down."

Wally wrenched his hand from Dick's grasp, "the hell are you doing here?'

"Artemis drugged me," Dick said, crossing his arms, "believe me I wouldn't have come of my own volition."

"oh, good to know," Wally scoffed, "so you were just gonna go back to your assassin friends and ignore us for another six years."

Dick was taller than him, Wally was almost pissed about that alone, he wanted to tower over him like he used to when they were kids.

"okay, that's not fair, Wally," M'gann stepped forward, "he's been helping."

"wow, you did the bare minimum, good job," he sneered.

"Wally, shut up!" Batgirl ordered.

Dick finally tore his eyes away from Wally, staring at Barbara. She shouldered past Wally and pushed him aside.

"I don't care what the hell you do when this is over, okay, we need all the help we can get," she said.

"well I'm here now, so I may as well," Dick said, half way between joking, the other half annoyed.

They stared at each other, Wally recognised it as that stupid bat-talk thing.

Then Barbara pulled her arm back and punched him in the cheek.

"shit!" Dick winced away, rubbing at it, the skin had split, he wiped away the bead of blood that had appeared.

Barbara stared, then laughed "oops."

"okay, geez, can we stop hitting him now," Conner said, seemingly vaguely worried, "if we need his help we might want him conscious."

"it's fine," Dick said, and his eyes turned yellow ringed with green. When he wiped the blood away again the skin had healed, his eyes turned back to blue.

Barbara blinked, "well that's new."

Dick snickered, "long story."

"yeah, well the story I want to hear is what the hell you were thinking," Wally said, frowning and glaring at him once more, "I mean the league of assassins? Are you fucking kidding me?"

Dick shrugged, "also a long story."

"well shorten it."

"look, not to sound ungrateful, but can we talk about something other than me?" Dick said.

Barbara snickered, "what? Never. You always loved being the centre of attention."

Dick sighed, "don't we have an invasion to stop, or are we putting that on pause?"

"agreed," Kaldur said, although he was smiling as if he was holding back a laugh, "the light is planning a summit meeting, we can take advantage of that."

"Manta's already managed to become well enough trusted that Kaldur has been put in charge of security, we can sneak you in," Artemis explained.

"the reach will be there, and a lot of other back up, we won't be enough," Batgirl said, rubbing at her chin.

"well," M'Gann said, smiling at Dick, "you said Ra's is emancipating."

Dick rose his eyebrows, "there is no way."

"it's not that bad an idea."

"wait, what are you talking about?" Conner asked.

"she's suggesting we hide you as league of assassins members," Dick said.

"when the fighting breaks out Ra's and the rest of his flunkies could fight with us," Artemis suggested, "that could work."

"right, yeah, I'll text him, 'hey you want to commit mass treason against the Light and put the entire league in contempt for the rest of eternity?'"

"you're a group of assassins, you could handle it."

Dick rubbed at his face and sighed, "you have no idea what Nanda Parbat is."

"uh, it's a giant assassin base, duh," Wally said, "what else would it be?"

Dick stared at him, dead pan, "it's a city."

They stared at him, "what?"

"it's a city," Dick said, "there are kids who live there, families."

Wally laughed, "you're kidding right?"

"look, believe me or don't," Dick shrugged, "but some assassins have families, where do you think they live?"

Artemis blinked, "okay, that actually makes a bit of sense."

Dick fought the urge to say, 'no shit'.

"Ra's won't endanger his people," Barbara said, "I get it, but ask him anyway. Black beetle is a powerhouse, we need all the help we can get."

"how goes it on getting Jaime back?" Artemis asked.

"Zatanna thinks she can figure out how to do it," batgirl said, "we intend to mobilise on that shortly."

Wally was only half paying attention, he just couldn't get himself to stop glaring at Dick. He supposed he just wasn't over it yet, which was unsurprising. He couldn't be expected to just pull a full 180 and change his perspective at the click of his fingers.

Batgirl could easily be described as professional. She likely hadn't had any change of mind, she just knew how to prioritise. Kaldur and Artemis had had time to work things out and, technically, so had M'Gann. It was just Wally and Conner who had to learn to deal now, and Conner seemed capable of prioritising, too, all of a sudden. Was that a skill Conner had learned and he'd missed? In Wally's defence he'd been out searching for a friend and before that he'd been in a coma, he had an excuse. Dick did not have an excuse for having missed so much.

At some point in their long conversation of figuring things out an owl had settled on to one of the shelves. Thanks to the fact that Wally was staring at Dick he caught the look Dick gave the bird once he realised it was there. he seemed mildly worried. Was the bird a bad thing? Why was Dick worried about a bird?

"okay, anything else?" Batgirl asked, typing some things on the holo-computer device in her glove.

"no, I think that's everything," Artemis smiled, "we might actually stand a chance."

"wouldn't that be a first," Kaldur said.

"yeah, cool, we're done," Dick said, leaning over to Kaldur, "hey, remember what I said about missing the helicopter and how someone would probably come after me?"

Kaldur frowned, "yeah?"

"wait, what?" Barbara asked.

"hey, don't look at me, he's the one who said not to worry about it," Dick said, pointing at Kaldur, "but, uh, if we're done, I might want to go before this meeting gets crashed."

"too late."

They turned, for the second time that night caught off guard by someone who'd crept up on them.

Dick could not believe he'd let himself slip. They were surrounded and he hadn't even noticed.

He noticed now. Jason was perched on top of one of the shelves, Thalia was on the mezzanine above them, and Alex was standing behind them, arms crossed. He seemed to be the only one who noticed the other two, everyone was focused on Alex.

Batgirl drew a Bo staff and Artemis got out her crossbow. Kaldur's water bearers materialised, Conner stepped forward to protect M'gann and Wally-

Wally ran on in without thinking.

He sped for Alex, who dodged and threw a bolas, a net coming out and gripping on to Wally's legs.

Batgirl made to run froward but Dick grabbed her arm.

"hold off, she won't hurt you."

"she's-" Artemis was cut off.

"here to collect my idiot kid brother, whom I thought must have been captured. I am evidently wrong."

Dick sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. Lying on the ground, trying to free his legs, Wally sat up and stared, "your kid what?"

"this is overreacting at its finest, Alex," Dick said.

"Duvall called in a panic when you didn't show up, what did you want me to do?" she asked, stalking forwards. Conner moved closer as if to attack, Dick held a hand up.

"I'm fine, Kaldur wanted me to come to a meeting, didn't give me any warning," he said, eying Kaldur with annoyance.

Wally had finally untangled himself, "what, is he out past curfew?"

"can it, West," Alex hissed.

"okay, will everyone calm down," Dick said. Thankfully they all did, putting their weapons away, "Thalia, jay, you want to come out of your hiding spots now?"

"you're no fun," Jay said, peeking his head over the shelf. Dick just stared at him in annoyance.

Jason flipped down from his perch and Thalia took the stairs.

Barbara stared at Jason. He stared at her.

"hi," he eventually said.

Barbara responded by wrapping him in a hug.

"okay, ginger, this is a bit of an overreaction," Jay said.

"you were dead!" she said, gripping him by the shoulders, "I went to your funeral!"

"did they play ACDC?" he asked, grinning.

"enough of this," Thalia sighed, "evidently force is unnecessary, this was a misunderstanding."

"you think?" Artemis asked.

"hey, next time you want to kidnap my brother, ask me first," Alex said.

"I'm still looking for an explanation on the brother front," wally said.

"same dad," Alex said, as if that explained everything, she then propped her arm on his shoulder and leaned on him, "anyway, is the blonde Artemis? You didn't say she was cute."

Artemis scoffed, "we've met before!"

Dick shrugged Alex off, "can you not?"

"no," she said, smiling.

"look," Dick sighed, "this is why I said not to force me to come to this," he said, giving Kaldur a look.

"what, didn't want us to meet the family?" Kaldur said, grinning.

"no, they're embarrassing," Dick snorted, "look at Jay, he didn't even brush his hair."

"hey," he pointed a finger in Dick's face, "for your information I only came because Alex promised me she'd get the new Spiderman game."

Alex groaned, "I hate you so much, you don't even have a PS4."

"yeah, cause Dick hasn't made good on his promise yet," Jay said.

Thalia gave Dick a look of annoyance, he shrugged.

"how did you now where he was?" Conner asked.

Thalia looked up at Isabel, perched on the shelf, "we followed Isabel."

"who?" Wally frowned.

Kaldur looked up at her, "okay," he said, smiling at Dick, "I am starting to understand why you like that bird so much."

Dick chuckled and held out his arm, Isabel fluttered down and settled on it.

"is that an owl?" Barbara asked, staring at her, "dude, why?"

Dick laughed, "long story."

"how many of those do you have?" Wally asked, "I move that Dick is no longer allowed to answer questions with 'long story'."

"if it helps it's the same story that explains the weird eyes and the healing."

"it does not help, but it makes us more interested," M'Gann grinned.

"yeah, yeah, you are all so very funny," Thalia drawled, "time to go."

"actually," Barbara stepped forward, "we have a favour to ask of you."

"and why would I do a favour for you?" she sneered.

"well, we could always kidnap Dick for real," Artemis offered.

Alex drew a knife and held it at her throat, "try it."

"Okay," Dick said, using his free hand to push the knife down, "that's enough. Thalia, could you at least hear her out?"

She sighed, "make it quick."

Kaldur caught up to them as they left and Dick almost cursed out loud.

Artemis didn't follow, the rest of the gang had already left. It was just Kaldur running after him as they walked out onto the roof.

Thalia sighed in annoyance, "haven't we done enough?" she muttered to Jason, who shrugged. They loitered by the door onto the roof. Alex stepped between Dick and Kaldur.

"could you give us a moment?" Kaldur asked.

"what do you want, fish boy?" Alex asked.

"Alex, calm down," Dick eased, he glanced over at Jason and Thalia, "just a moment."

Kaldur and Dick walked to the edge of the roof.

"look," Dick began, rubbing at the back of his neck.

"I understand," Kaldur broke in.

"what?"

"you panicked," Kaldur smirked.

"I-" Dick held a finger in his face, "I did not-"

"yes you did," Kaldur laughed, "the great Renegade panicked and ran off cause he was scared."

"what about this do you find funny?"

"everything."

"oh, wow, than you."

Kaldur just snickered.

Dick swallowed, looking out at the city, he couldn't keep Kaldur's smile in his line of sight, it wouldn't end well.

"did it mean anything?" Dick asked.

"what?" Kaldur frowned.

"did it mean anything?" Dick repeated, "or was it just..." he shook his head with a shrug, "I don't know-"

"I meant it," Kaldur said, "I kissed you back didn't I?"

Dick smiled awkwardly and cleared his throat, "I don't know, people are weird."

Kaldur laughed, "indeed they are."

And they were back to square one. Kaldur was staring at Dick's eyes and Dick was trying his best not to stare back.

"did you mean it?" Kaldur asked.

"well, I started the kiss, didn't I?"

"I don't know," Kaldur shrugged, smiling, "people are weird."

Dick laughed, "look... I don't know why I did it or... what to do now-"

"you're complicating it," Kaldur said.

"what?"

"you're complicating it, it's just a kiss," Kaldur said, "for a moment, pretend you're not an assassin, that there is no invasion, uncomplicate it. you kissed me, what do you do now?"

Dick shook his head, "it's not that simple."

"make it simple."

"I can't just ignore the reality of the situation," Dick said, "it is complicated, I can't change that."

"if I kissed you again would you stop me?"

"I..." Dick swallowed, staring at Kaldur's lips, "probably not."

"that's pretty simple."

"Kal," Dick sighed, "I don't know," he ran his hands through his hair, "I just don't."

"that's okay."

Dick looked up, unable to fight the look of surprise.

Kaldur smiled, "I won't push, but..." he looked out at the skyline, "think about it? can you promise me that much?"

Dick nodded, "yeah," he smiled, "yeah, I can think about it."

They shared a look.

"does that mean you're asking me out?" he laughed.

"in a way, I suppose," Kaldur said, "should I bring flowers the next time I talk to you?"

"seeing as that will likely be the summit, maybe not."

"maybe not."

They smiled, looking at the ground, the stars, the city lights, each other.

"I have to go."

"right, yeah," Kaldur said, glancing at the three assassins waiting, "try not to get bored without Artemis and I's shenanigans."

Dick snorted, "are you kidding me, I can't wait to sleep in and have food that isn't fish."

They laughed a little longer then Dick awkwardly stepped away, shooting his final goodbyes. He turned to his family and Kaldur walked away.

Both trying to pretend they couldn't feel the charge between them.

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

142K 4.7K 28
Set two years into the five year gap, Robin had become team leader. After threats from Slade and the Court of Owls wanting Robin to join them the tea...
2.6K 58 14
[Batfam and The Justice League and Female OC and Damian Wayne x OC] Carmen Tetch was stolen from her life at an age far too young. It was all Talia A...
21.4K 657 34
A simple mission: Stop the attack on the competition. A simple twist: Robin can't tell the team his identity. A complicated outcome: Richard Grayso...
2.4K 98 7
Damian al ghul was 13 years old when Deathstroke aka slade Wilson attacked Nanda Parbat and killed both talia and Ra's al ghul Deathstroke and blows...