The Black Dane : The Fools War

By Skipology

[ Book 1 of my "The Last Kingdom" Fanfiction series] Khaana was a rare find and a wild prized gifted to Earl... More

C A S T
SOUNDTRACK
Sleeping Hounds
The Saxon Child
Uhtred son of Uhtred
A Wasp and a Promise
The Runts
The Humane Monsters
A Fight, Not His Last
Silver Bonds
The Littlest Dane
The Forwarding of Time
Hel Fire
Shifting Through Ruin
A Plague of Lies
The Creature Caught
The Scent of a Trap
The Taking
The Den of the Lion
No Saints Among Them
The Fork In Destiny
No Prey
Arselings and Urswines
Alfred
Idiocy
A Test of Flames
Restless Wessex
A Slow Turn
The Unforeseen
Crowned King of Wessex
Trying Times
Minds Eye
Decisions
So Vows Uncertainty
To Build Understanding
Even Match
Unholy
Brewing Machinations
Watchers
Forsworn
Something Borrowed
Well Wishes to Ill Beginnings
Conceived Bonds
Something Soured
Makings of a Spy
Fyrstburรฐarsonr

Negotiations

454 24 6
By Skipology

After the Ceremony was over, Khaana needed several drinks to recover from what she found only to be madness. Thankfully Eadgyth was more than happy to help her get a hold of a bottle...or two.

Now in the early morning, Khaana sharing a horse with Brida, followed Alfred and his men, heading for the agreed upon spot of the Negotiations. It would take half of the day to reach, and the camp would be raised while the negotiations where being held as Khaana heard it explained. This would be providing the King did not require rests due to his ailments.

Khaana watched the lands as they passed across them, she could feel it, they were getting nearer, the air near where Danes had walked was different from any other. Lands were warriors trod are left with a piece of their spirit, lingering to remind all those who pass, that once they were there, and never will it be forgotten. It was not unique to Danes either, but any warrior of merit.

The ride was one with little conversation, it would seem Alfred and all of his men were uneasy about this meeting. Guthrum, though driven back at Aesces, had yet to be defeated by any one out right, and his name was well known across the land. This would be a moment to go down in history books if all went right, "or if all goes wrong even..." Khaana thought to herself.

Witun, deep within a forest's who's trees were cast bare by the chills of winter, the company of King Alfred, started to set camp. Uhtred helped the the men raise the tent under witch the meeting would be held. Brida reached out to grasp Khaana's arm, halting her from going to join them "I do not wish to be seen by Earl Guthrum, Khaana." Brida said.

Khaana turned to face her and tilted her head "I would be to ashamed to be seen by Danes among Saxon sheep." She added, Khaana gave a half nod of her head, "They have not ask of you to be there, and Uhtred will understand your absence, go, le them set up camp and rest." Khaana hummed, she fixed the frizz away from the top of Brida's head and offered a smile, "and find some food, you should be starved." Khaana near sang a sly smile on her face as she looked Brida over. "why? I only just ate on the way?" asked Brida. Khaana chuckled but said no more, leaving Brida confused as she headed to join Uhtred and the others.

Khaana took a corner of the red fabric to dress the top of the ten, and looked Uhtred over "you've been having plenty of fun lately." she said. "what?" Uhtred asked, "nothing, nothing, lets get this tent up." Khaana said.

The the tent completed, Alfred and his men clad in mail and leather armor, watched as down the hill road in the Danes. Guthrum at the forefront and Ubba not far behind, with them a small gathering of warriors, Horses armed tot he teeth in metal and adorned in bone and horns, protected with shields. For a simple meeting they were near dressed for full combat.

Khaana stole a glance as Beocca and the secondary priest, who wore only their monks robes and then down at herself as she was granted only her white grown, and a pale fur mantle. "we look like idiots, coming to a gather with Danes unarmored." Khaana thought to herself. she stayed close to Uhtred, at his back she peered over his shoulder, the site of Ubba was unnerving and unexpected. " It is Earl Guthrum?" Alfred questioned watching the line of Danes draw nearer.  "yes" Uhtred said, "You can see the bone in his hair, it is his mothers rib." Uhtred informed. The Two Oddas and Leofric shared a disgusted glance. "oh...how, Endearing." Alfred remarked, "and the others?" He asked.

Uhtred's eyes were glued to the hulking man on the draft horse, "that is Ubba, the big man." Uhtred said. Alfred turned his gaze to Uhtred quickly, gazing up at him with  a hint of concern " The Chieftain Ubba is with them?" He asked.  the hair on the back of Uhtred's neck stood raised, and he became on high alert the closer Ubba got. "you said he was in the north." Uhtred said to Alfred. " And now he is here" said Alfred with a nod, "this is good," he added. Though Uhtred clenched his jaw, he saw nothing good about it.   Uhtred looked back to Khaana, she seemed calm for the most part, but her eyes would not leave Ubba either.

"what are you thinking?" Uhtred asked her, "that this may not end well." She said. urging Uhtred to take his place near Alfred and the others, who had lined up behind a table in the dimly lit tent, Khaana stood slightly behind and between Uhtred and Leofric, taking to the more shadowed area of the tent, keeping as quiet as she could.  Ubba and Guthrum had dismounted their horses and had been given food and refreshment before being asked to join Alfred and company in the tent.

As Guthrum entered in the tent, licking free the food excess from his fingers, his eyes landed on Uhtred, and nothing dangerous sparked in his eye as well as something sadder, the memory of an old friend lost due to what he assumed was undue mercy towards a Saxon child. Uhtred did not look towards him right away, He needed him to believe he was unconcerned with his presence here. Khaana was grateful for the attention Uhtred was gathering, it made it easier for her to go unnoticed for the moment.

"So, you are Alfred, the King of Wessex?" Guthrum asked, turning a lazy gaze towards Alfred who stood between Uhtred and Beocca. " I am, You are Earl Guthrum?" Alfread asked. Uhtred's eyes shimmered with slight fear as Ubba turned his eyes to him. The  large man's face stiffened and the playfully terrifying grin Ubba usually kept on his face faded away. "yes, if you want peace, you will have to pay." Guthrums aid diving into the negotiations right away. Ubba's  eyes traveled from Uhtred, to Khaana. 

It did not take him long, of course he knew where the Saxon-Dane went, she always followed, vigilantly watching. A hint of a frown formed on Ubba's face, Khaana lifted her head higher to show she had no fear of him, and met his gaze, and his grin slowly returned. 

Alfred heard Guthrum, and his keen gaze flicked over to Ubba quickly, "and you are Earl Ubba? Welcome." He said, still as stone, and unshaken by the Dane leaders. For the first time, Khaana had to admit she was impressed, as even the old warrior Odda, who had seen many foes, and Leofric who stood nearly at Ubba's height seemed wary.

Ubba tore his gaze away from Uhtred and his stolen prize, a wild gaze falling on Alfred "Speak," he said urging Alfred to be done with the niceties. 

Alfred waited little time, " in an agreed amount of Livestock, grain and silver," he started, the secondary priest began to write on book filled with blank parchment, "I propose that you and your ships return to Lundene and remain there." said Alfred.

Guthrum took a seat,  and looked to Alfred as if he'd been daft "I further propose that you confine yourselves to East Anglia, Mercia and Northumbria. Wessex is Saxon and therefore out of bounds for all Danes." Alfred continued looking between Ubba and Guthrum, studying them.

Ubba's eyes narrowed at the little man's gall,  "we only just arrived in Wessex,  we will not be leaving." Guthrum spoke with even tone, he looked to Alfred, clearly unimpressed. "The you shall starve." Alfred replied, not a second missed. Khaana, who's eyes would not leave Ubba, glanced Alfred's way, part of her wondered if he might have practiced this speech in front of Eadgyth all morning. It only took a shift of Ubba's weight to draw back her attention, if he rush she would see it and she would be ready for it. 

Instinctually she took a small step closer to Uhtred as Ubba started to move about the tent, he peered over the paper of which the secondary priest wrote on. "you have  no shelter, little food and a weakened army." Alfred tried to reason, "if you find us weakened, why seek peace?" Guthrum asked. "it is the Christian in me," Alfred said pausing briefly "the will of God." he said. He knew well this would stir them, but to learn what he needed from them he needed to see what got them riled. 

"Oh, I will hear no talk of Gods." Ubba cut in quickly, turning his attention back to the king. Alfred cast his eyes to Ubba "God, there is only one." He said. Ubba's face started to redden in his growing anger as he advanced closer to Alfred and company, "you will talk only of silver, grain, land and horses." Ubba ordered. 

Alfred shook his head and briefly broke eyes contact, perhaps the uneasiness had finally set in, as the rage shimmered in Ubba's eyes like a spark of flame. "I will not talk of land" said Alfred recovering quickly. Guthrum heaved off of his seat, and pointing the priest writing in the book "what do they write?" He asked going for a closer look. Alfred turned his gaze towards him happy to welcome more civil conversation " what we speak." Alfred stated, Gurthum turned to him eyes brows slightly raised "every word?" he asked intrigued. "yes," said Alfred. 

A impish smirk spread across Guthrum's face, "then may I say, Tits, hump, turd and arse." Guthrum said strolling back towards his seat while Ubba laughed from his own chair. Khaana had knew Guthrum for a fair amount of years, and even as she watch him now from the standing of a potential enemy, she was still nothing but a silly old bear who bite was far worse than that of his bark.

Had Uhtred not been so frightened, he might have laughed, as a boy he had no great reasons to fear Guthrum, he was man who could be dealt with until made angry. 

However, Alfred was not amused, "They record History. we are creating History." He stated with a sharp tongue. "people will read of this very meeting." he said. Ubba  rested his hands on his knees, "I am waiting to hear the terms of your surrender." said Ubba  leaning forward with a confident smile.  "you will be paid to return to Lundene, there are no more terms and there will me no surrender." Alfred replied, his words not unlike scolding a small children. Ubba's smile fell yet again, and Khaana started to worry as Ubba hopped to his feet, "Guthrum, hre, will not leave Readingum!" he shouted, the line of King, Warriors and Priests did not flinch at his outburst.

"then I say again, he will starve." Alfred spoke calmly. Guthrum stood and slowly paced closer "We will raid, we will kill." he said, Alfred shook his head, and held his gaze "and you will lose yet more men," he said looking between the two warlords. 

"is that what you wish? To lose more men, Earl Guthrum?" Alfred asked,  Guthurm stayed quiet, with a gaze that wished to slay Alfred where he stood. "Your warriors whom have survived may look to find a new lord." Alfred said, poking the bear, Khaana's eyes went from King to Earl, nervously, all the while waiting for Ubba to strike. 

"did you call me here to insult me?" Guthrum asked slowly. "I offer peace, and facts, that is all." Alfred replied.

Ubba's eyes were stuck to Uhtred now, as a sort silence fell between Guthrum and Alfred, Khaana inched closer, her hand reaching for the dagger Uhtred' kept hidden under the sword on his back. Uhtred clenched his teeth, and tried not to show Ubba any weakness. "his head," said Ubba, breaking the silence.

"His head,  and you can have your peace." said Ubba, Khaana slipped the dagger from Uhtred's back and hide the hand of which she held it behind her own back. Still to week for her illusions if it came down to it, she would need to fight. 

Alfred's brows raised briefly, "him..." Ubba remarked, inching closer, Leofric took one long step ahead of Uhtred, eyes locked onto Ubba planting his feet to hold his ground should he need to lock blades with him. Khaana watched as she and Uhtred fell under the Saxon warriors shadow. "Uhtred Ragnarson..." Ubba snarled, his gaze flowed from Uhtred to Khaana "a traitor...and a thief!" Ubba called lunging forward  reaching their way, Khaana drew Uhtred behind her and went to raise her dagger, but she found, Leofric had incepted and shoved Ubba back.

Ubba smirked and brushed off his shoulder mocking Leofric  as he took a step away. Khaana narrowed her eyes at Ubba, "you, you cannot protect him forever." Ubba said to her a chill in his words as that mocking smile fell away. Khaana said nothing, and Uhtred reaching around her, pried the dagger from her hands so find them shaking.

The Truth? Khaana for the first time in a long time, had been terrified. Had he made it past the Saxon she was unsure she could have lasted long enough to stop Ubba from taking Uhtred's head. Had he been serious, It was hard to tell if Ubba was testing them, or if that lunge had been serious. Uhtred, with the dagger taken from Khaana, stepped ahead of her, and though eyes still large from what had happened he found it in him to look Ubba in the eye and stand his ground as Leofric fell back into place stepping back himself.

"Nothing to say?" Ubba said, looking down to Uhtred. "I stole nothing, she follows willingly and I will speak to Young Ragnar, for no other Dane has my respect." Uhtred spoke clearly,  Guthrum watched in silence as Ubba turned to Alfred nodding towards Uhtred "his head, for peace." he said again. Alfred looked to Uhtred "...you want Uhtred, here, for peace? no grain or silver, nor horses?" He asked. Guthrum who had been watching Alfred, turned his gaze to Khaana " we want, silver, the elf, and the traitors head." He said, causing Ubba to grin. "I'm sorry elf?" Alfred questioned with a blink. "we have no elf among us, we have a messenger, God's messenger." He said. 

"I said there will be no talk of gods! she is not of your God! she is  my elf, and I will have her back!" Ubba shouted, "Khaana is here, she is with Uhtred, and there for she is for him or otherwise she is free, and for Wessex as she stand among Saxons. Now," Alfred said clearing his throat, "Him, Her and silver, these are out terms, and you Alfred may stay king," Ubba said cutting Alfred off looking him up and down in disgust.

"but we will occupy all of the Saxon forts." Ubba added with a wild grin, Alfred waited a beat, and with drawing in a breath spoke, "If you wish to Occupy them, then do it, take them." Alfred said, a mischievous glint within deep-set eyes, as he spoke the corner of his mouth threatened to turn upwards into a smirk "How many of our fortresses have you taken to date?" Alfred asked Ubba, with another paused he tilted his head towards Beocca, "Father, how many have they taken?" He asked the priest. Beocca struggled as well to mask his smirk as he went to answer, Ubba turning towards him with growing annoyance, "None, lord." Beocca replied.

With a yell of anger, Ubba swung his arms, upturning the tables stood before the Kings and his Company, The secondary priest, quickly moved so not to drop his book and quill and stumbled backwards, Khaana moving quickly, caught the priest before he could fall while Odda the Elder  shoved Ubba back away from Beocca, who had moved Alfred away from the table. "lady herald." the secondary priest murmured in thanks as Khaana helped him to his feet,

"We can take all the fortresses at any time!" Ubba yelled, Khaana careful circled about Odda the Elder, placing herself between him, Beocca and Alfred, she glared at Ubba, a gaze that was frigid as she squared her shoulders and held her head high, if He was not aware that she was weakened, maybe he would head that it was not wise to test her, "we have taken the whole of England!" Ubba roared. Ubba turned his focus to Alfred, " and can do the same with Wessex." Ubba added, simmering down slowly.

"let me be perfectly clear, here, I am prepared to return to the sword. Please Understand that we many we out number you and we are dangerous. But I would rather we establish peace." Alfred said, trying his best to remain composed. "and Uhtred here will keep his head, but I will pay you well to leave Wessex, and I will compromise, I will give you the Herald. If only to prove that as I say she is of God and for Wessex for there is nothing that should stop her from returning safely if God is with her." Alfred reasoned.

Uhtred looked to Alfred wide eyed and did his best to remain quiet, Khaana closed her eyes and sighed, "not again." she thought biting her tongue " and not as I am now..." her mind whispered within its quiet places.

"I will compromise because, this is what people will read, that Alfred sought peace. Alfred paid Lords Ubba and Guthrum in Silver, and exchanged the lords herald in a show of his faith, in exchange for peace." said Alfred, locked into a stare down with Guthrum, "It is I, who is seeking an end to this fighting, that is what will be written." Alfred said.

He looked to Khaana, "I ask that you give her time to gather what she has, and say goodbye to Uhtred, and whomever else. I will send a man to you with her, shortly." Alfred said.

With little else to say, Guthrum and Ubba left, while not pleased, Ubba seemed halfway satisfied as pointed to Khaana with a smug smirk on his way out. "lord, you cannot give her over to him." Uhtred said quickly turning to Alfred. "the reason I gave are true, if she is what she claims to be, we have nothing to fear and she will be returned to you, by the grace of God." Alfread stated.

Uhtred gulped and looked to Khaana, "but they've ships lord, they could take her anywhere." he pressed. Khaana sighed, "Stop, Osbert, I will go." she said. walking to Uhtred she gave him a hug, "I cannot tell Brida, If I go to her, she will fight, and we cannot afford." she thought to him. Uhtred, held her tight and sniffled as his eyes watered.  Leofric watched as Khaana pushed Uhtred back, and tapped his cheek under one eye "do not cry, and do not fret. I am to return, your job is to keep Brida passive. I am here for you, if you believe I can do this, I can." she told him. Uhtred tried to suck in his tears and gave a nod. "don't be afraid, you know how to reach me." Khaana thought to him.

Turning on her heal, she faced Alfred, with a stone line expression and venomous eyes. "I've nothing to take with me and I am ready to go, " Khaana told him, Alfred nodded to Young Odda and Leofric, "very well, lead her to them." Alfred said, the two men stepped forward and escorted Khaana out from the tent, following after Ubba and Guthrum.

------------------------------------------------

The shouting match between Brida and Uhtred could heard all through the camp, he could hardly get a word in through her fury. late afternoon was quickly fading to dusk, on the hill top, Alfred, Uhtred, Brida, Leofric, the two Oddas and Beocca watched the small fleet of longships sail away.

Brida wiped away a stray tear before anyone could notice, and part of her wish she had been sent off with Khaana, Ubba or not, at least she would have been back among the people she belonged with. Uhtred, bit his jaw, his eyes glued to the ships. He would trust her, but she'd never not been there, for as long as he could remember, and he let this happen. 

The other left to ready their horses to head back to camp, the threat, for now was gone, the warriors and Beocca were tired and wanting for rest and food. Still Alfred stood with Uhtred and Brida watching the ships.

"Uhtred," Alfred called, nodding his head in a gesture for Uhtred to walk with him. Uhtred stole a glance at Brida but she refused to look his way and as Uhtred followed Alfred, looked to him, watching his back as he got farther away. 

Uhtred's steps where dragging as he followed Alfred out of ear shot of Brida, "I would have never given you up to Ubba," Alfred said, "but the thought would have cross your mind, lord, had Khaana not been a prisoner." Uhtred muttered. "It would not have, not a once. You see the fact is, Uhtred, I would like you to swear a oath, on holy relics, a years service." Alfred said. Uhtred looked at him stunned, he had to crazy.

"During which time you will help my warriors understand that the heathens are but men. In return and in time, you shall have you reward, Uhtred of Bebbanburg." Alfred reasoned. daring to step closer, Alfred looked Uhtred square in the eyes "one year." Alfred repeated, and with nod, Alfred turned and headed for the others by the horses, leaving Uhtred to his thoughts.

Uhtred looked back to Brida, who looked at him for a moment and then back to the ships. She didn't want to know what that talk was about, she wasn't sure she could take anything else for the night. the anger almost made her stomach boil and made her gut sick.

Meanwhile, as night blanketed the sky, Khaana lay on her back at the back of Ubba's ship, watching the stars. trying to gather peace as well as a plan for escape, however, nothing was coming to her. At the moment she was glad that Ubba had not pestered her much, as he boasted to Storri and his men about how he tricked the frail King of Wessex into handing over the Elf of Ragnar the Fearless.

Khaana listened to the waves, she could jump into the sea a swim, but her body could not heal itself fast enough to fight the fatal cold of the icy waters. She would wait until they touched land, and steal a small boat to slip away the following night, however, she had never rowed a boat, nor could she navigate the seas as well as the Danes, she would be in their element and recaptured quickly.

Khaana could hope that maybe, somehow, Ubba would cross paths with Ragnar's ship, but if he claimed to be a week away, that too was unlikely. " you're stuck fool" Khaana thought to herself scornfully.

Shuffling steps neared her, Khaana shifted her gaze to find Storri standing above her, and wall wooden bowl in hand.  He offered her a careful smile and sat at her side "here, some food." He said quietly. Khaana sat up and carefully took the bowl, she peered into it, it was hard to see what it was filled with in the dark of night. "it is, better you cannot see it, looks awful, tastes decent." Storri whispered. Khaana looked up at him with doubt, "why? Ubba has order to leave me unfed and un-watered until we reach Lundene. why go against Ubba?" She asked him.

"Ubba is frightening, true. but I fear more what the gods shall do, should we leave their creature misused." Storri explained slightly pushing Khanna's hands holding the bowl closer to her. "they bid you to serve the family of Ragnar the Fearless, Ravn, by right you only need to obey Young Ragnar. I...believe they would see this as Ubba taking you away from your punishment, the gods punished you by sending you here, Ubba is  giving you his own punishment, and therefore not following what they will. It is...dangerous and I would like the gods to know I did not play a part in it." said Storri.

Khaana watched him as he gave her another smile before standing up and returning to Ubba and the loud boasting. Khaana looked down at the bowl of stew, she smirked, and standing to her feet, went to the edge of the ship, tossing the bowl into the water. "I will not eat until I am free." she thought with a chuckle. "and I will not forget this Alfred." Khaana growled softly under her breath.

Back at Witun,  Alfred gathered his Inner council and his wife into the tent which served as a war room. the servant boy brought each member bowls of porridge as it was made ready.  Aelswith ate quietly, while all eyes were fixed to her husband, quiet as a church mouse as she listened to him speak, she was merely glad he let her come at all. 

"Our task is both simple and impossible." Alfred said as he paced about, "we determine what they shall do next,." Alfred said. Young Odda looked up and quickly answered "they will do what Danes always do, they will attack."  he said.

"Ah, but how? when? where and how many of them?" Alfred questioned. Aelswith looked up from her bowl and offered a tiny smile "are we not supposed to be celebrating peace? Must we talk of fighting?" She asked.  "we do my dear, as the peace will not last, long." said Alfred.

Brida scooped up a large spoonful of porridge and let it slide back into the bowl, the chunky bumpy  off white mush made her ill just watching it slosh back into the bowl. Next to her, Uhtred looked into the fire "it will take them at least a year." He said. "a year before they can gather a great enough army." Uhtred stated, looking to Alfred.

"do we have your word?" Young Odda spat, Odda the elder sighed at his son's behavior and sent him a disapproving glance. "Is there any meat here?" Brida asked tired of looking at the gruel given to her. "Should she even be here?" Aelswith asked quickly, her eyes narrowing in Brida's direction. Brida looked to her with a slow burning fury, past Leofric who sat between them. He found himself instantly uncomfortable, the last thing he wanted was to be trapped between two mean spirit waring women. 

"Brida is my guest" Uhtred said pointedly, his eyes nearly snarling as he looked towards the queen. Aelswith's lips thinned into a straight line as she looked at Uhtred with a hardened gaze, "you should have taken the kings offer of a wife." she said, looking to Brida with disdain "a lady." she added.

"I believe what happens next, shall be that they come by sea and by land, split out army in two, possibly more." Alfred continued speaking over his wife. Alfred looked over everyone in his inner circle carefully " It may be that Uhtred is right, it may take them a year or more. Either way one thing is clear...we need ships." Alfred said, he turned his eye to Odda the elder, "we are bordered by water and yet she have so few ships." he added.

Odda the elder shook his head "you will not set me on any ship! I volunteer by son." He said, to which all Young Odda could do was nod, "to save out shores we must look beyond them." said Alfred. "and to serve God his word must travel," Alfred went on, "amen, praise him." Aelswith said with a smile and a nod, "It starts with the our herald, it is my hope that the Danes will learn something while she is there company and until which time God returns her to us." He added. Brida frowned looking into her bowl, unable to look at anyone around her. It was ridiculous and she still hardly believed it had happened. 

"the...beasts, Uhtred, that they place on the masts of their ships, are the to represent their gods?" Alfred asked, once more giving Uhtred his attention. Uhtred scoffed, and shook his head "no lord, they are just beasts. they can be removed so as not to frighten the spirits of the land." Uhtred informed. Beocca chuckled as he enjoyed his porridge "pft, spirit of the land." he snickered. 

"I would like to know why some of the sharpen their own teeth into points." Leofric voiced.  "they do that?" Aelswith asked her nose scrunching up as she looked up at the soldier at her side. Leofric nodded "some, lady" he said. Aelswith gasped "God save us!"

Brida looked up and turned her eyes to Leofric "It is to show that they are not afraid. If they can inflect such pain on themselves, think what they could do to Saxons." Brida spoke up, casting a steely gaze to Aelswith. It nearly caused the queen to shrink back. " I am sure, we will understand them more by the day." Alfred said, gathering everyone's eyes, "Uhtred of the Danes has promised me a year of service." He added. Brida bit the inside of her lip and leered at Uhtred from the corners of her eyes. They read "how could you?" and at present he had little answer for her, or at least not an answer that wouldn't cause her to chuck random items at him.

Beocca on the other hand, turned to Uhtred and smiled "is that so?" he asked, "it is," said Alfred, his voice couldn't sound more pleased, Leofric looked towards Uhtred and inwardly he was shaking his head, "poor bastard." Leofric thought, he had no idea what he had walked into, and willingly.  "it will be his duty  to show out warriors how the Danes behave in battle. The workings of their Shield wall, and the like."  Alfred said.

With a long scowl Leofric looked away from Uhtred and to his King "If I may, Lord. The Arseling here is barely a man." He said gesturing to Uhtred with a sweep of his hand, Uhtred drew in a breath, his mind shouting protests at the insult, "you expect him to teach me how to fight?" Leofric asked sharply. Alfred sighed "Leofric, I expect him to teach you nothing. whip him with staves as you practice, by all means." said Alfred. Leofric look down and gave a nod, content for the most part as Uhtred seethed to himself, "thank you, lord." Leofric said. 

Alfred rose to his feet, and took a step forward, "however, our lesser men,  If they can know what a Dane knows,  Knowledge can wash away fear." Alfred stated, turning his eyes to Brida "no matter how sharp the teeth" he said.

Once the meeting was over Brida stormed away from Uhtred "where are you going? it is dark!" He called after her "a place to pray to Ran that she may let her waters ravage Ubba's ships and bring Khaana back to us, to give scarfices to Odin in hopes he will forgive us for you being a turd!" Brida called back to him marching away.  

Beocca rested a hand on Uhtred's shoulder, if you like, I will pray for the herald's safe return. God is merciful and all powerful, if Alfred sent her away he did it in the knowledge that our Lord will see her through." Beocca said. Uhtred shook Beocca's hand off of him "I will go with Brida." Uhtred said, "then I will come with you," Beocca offered.

In the dark by a small fire, Brida prepared a sacrifice with Uhtred had already started praying to to Odin. Beside them, Beocca sat on his knees, his cross cupped between his praying hands as his lips moved to the words of a muted prayer.

Leofric who was patrolling the camp once more before heading to bed, spotted the three of them. "alright, what are you doing?" He asked them. "giving sacrifices so that the Gods will take Khaana from Ubba's clutches." Brida muttered, working away. "and you, father?" Leofric asked a hint of concern in his voice as he had hopped that wasn't what the Kings priest was doing. "no, no. I am praying to God, praying to the heralds safe return, and that his will be glorified in the out come." said Beocca, breaking his prayers for a moment.

Leofric looked around, it seem that all was well, he sensed no trouble, stabbing his sword into the ground, he reached into his chain mail and pulled for the small wooded cross. Leofric clutched it in his hands and got on knees to pray as Uhtred's side. "alright, I'll bite" he said. Uhtred looked Leofric up and down "why?" Uhtred asked. Leofric shrugged "nothing better to do." he said. In the minimal glow of the fire, the four prayed in the different ways until they needed rest.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

105K 2.4K 78
The Last Kingdom Fanfic! Nadia Thurgilson is a tough Danish woman who finally meets her match in Earl Ragnar's son Ragnar the Younger. But their blos...
6.2K 258 13
She had known many names throughout her life - men had the tendency to rename her. Her brothers had renamed her first, stripping her of her pa...
49.5K 1.3K 27
Shaylee had nothing more to lose when she sneaked into a boat and left her homeland Ireland for good. She had burned all the bridges behind her, and...
369K 20.2K 73
BOOK 1 OF 'The WAR of Dynasties' SERIES โœจ Princess Chandralekha was born in a royal family and was promised to the wealthiest king, but little did sh...