𝐂𝐚𝐫𝐩𝐞 𝐍𝐨𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐦

By MarCafeWrites

☆ 2022 ᴡᴀᴛᴛʏꜱ ᴡɪɴɴᴇʀ!! ☆ "Hell is empty and all the devils are here." On the cusp of the 20th century, blue b... More

Author's Note
Accolades
Prologue
Act I, Scene I
Act I, Scene II
Act I, Scene III
Act I, Scene IV
Act I, Scene V
Act I, Scene VI
Act I, Scene VII
Act I, Scene VIII
Act II, Scene I
Act II, Scene II
Act II, Scene III
Act II, Scene IV
Act III, Scene I
Act III, Scene II
Act III, Scene III
Act III, Scene IV
Act IV, Scene II
Act V, Scene I
Act V, Scene II
Act V, Scene III
Epilogue
𝕱𝖎𝖓𝖆𝖑 𝕿𝖍𝖔𝖚𝖌𝖍𝖙 & 𝕽𝖊𝖈𝖔𝖒𝖒𝖊𝖓𝖉𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓𝖘

Act IV, Scene I

1.3K 156 154
By MarCafeWrites

"Be sure your sin will find you out."
~ The Bible, Numbers 32:23

__________

Lucy didn't recognize herself.

She stared into the reflective depths of the mounted mirror in Dr. Reed's powder room. The woman who stared back looked more animal than human. A savage vampire. A Lupine, in Virgil speak.

Her hair was an unkempt tangle. Her dress, so pristine mere hours ago, was stained and tattered from her neckline to her waist. The skin around her mouth and chin bore dirty red smudges and dried smears. Flecks of red caked the creases of her lips.

Her eyes were still swollen from crying, but all traces of tears had dried and been wiped away.

To think, she had looked so lovely when she'd left Wilhern Manor. A lady. A Penn. Now she looked like she had walked through the battlefield of a nightmare.

Lucy let out a shaky breath.

Running fresh water into the basin, she used the soap and cloth provided to her and began scrubbing her face. Her dress was a lost cause, but her face could be renewed; the water washing away all telltale signs of the sins that had been committed that night. If only the mind could be cleansed of memory the way the skin could be cleansed of blood.

She scrubbed harder.

Beyond the closed powder room door, she could hear Virgil telling Dr. Reed all the knowledge that had been gathered and deduced. He spoke of the Ceremony of Unity, the intent of the Nosferatu, the trinity of rites...the third of which Lucy had performed just hours ago, unbeknownst to them all, hammering the final nail into her proverbial coffin.

She glanced at her reflection again.

Her skin was raw from the rigorous scrubbing, but clean at last. She sighed in halfhearted relief, and dried her face and hands.

She picked up the small brush that lie next to the basin. A few strands of Dr. Reed's dark hair remained caught in the bristles.

In a trancelike state, Lucy brushed the tangles from her hair. She heard Virgil speak of his contract with her, concluding his speech. Dr. Reed said nothing, but her keen ears picked up a despondent sigh.

Opening the door an inch or two, Lucy peeked through the crack. At the end of the hall was the kitchen. She could see Dr. Reed sitting at the table, his forehead in his hand. Virgil appeared next to him, reaching down and squeezing his shoulder.

"I was there when you lost Enola, Thomas," Virgil said. "I won't let you lose Lucy."

A warmth spread through Lucy's stagnant heart. These men cared for her, and she was touched in the most acute and profound of ways. She thought love and friendship of this magnitude was lost to her forever, having fled along with Arthur's dying breath, but no: the universe was not finished with her.

There was more to come.

Arthur was gone. No amount of prayer or begging for forgiveness would bring him back. Yet perhaps she did not have to face the long and uncertain road ahead alone. The connection she had with Dr. Reed was stronger, deeper, and had manifested faster than any she'd felt in her life — or after it. He was dedicated to his work above all else, but she sensed a fierce loyalty in him — something he had demonstrated most selflessly earlier that night. He would not leave her to loneliness; of that, Lucy was certain.

Taking this lull in conversation as her cue to emerge, Lucy walked down the short hallway and joined the men in the kitchen.

"If the Nosferatu will come for me tonight, I cannot be anywhere near Wilhern Manor," she reasoned. "It is not fair to put Sir Wilhern, Evelyne, or Dr. Rosencrantz in danger."

"I agree," Dr. Reed said. "You'll stay here."

"And so will I," Virgil swore.

Lucy nodded, her resolve steely. "I will need a few items from the manor. And I should let them know of our plans. It is inconsiderate to make them worry."

"There is less than two hours' time before the sun rises," Virgil said. "If you wish to go to the manor, we should go now."

"We?" Lucy repeated.

"Yes, we," Dr. Reed stated. "Virgil and I are not leaving your side."

Lucy's eyes stung with the renewed threat of tears. This time, however, tears inspired by the kindness of others, rather than her own misdeeds.

She reached out and grasped Dr. Reed's hand.

"Thank you," she murmured. "Thank you both."

~ ~ ~

It was an hour before dawn when Lucy led Dr. Reed and Virgil through the large front doors of Wilhern Manor.

Brushing a finger across her lips, she tip-toed up the grand staircase, motioning for them to follow her.

On the third floor, she opened the door to her bedroom, and ushered the men inside.

"My goodness, Lucy!" Virgil exclaimed in hushed tones. "Two men in your boudoir this time! You'll cause a scandal!"

With dramatic flair fit for West End, Virgil put a hand to his chest.

Lucy scoffed, pulling a few articles of clothing from her wardrobe. His teasing was beyond the pale. "Yes, yes. Welcome back."

Dr. Reed bristled and rounded on the grinning dhampir. "This time?" he repeated. "Welcome back?"

Virgil chuckled. "Oh, don't be jealous, Thomas. Green isn't your color."

"There is nothing to be jealous of," Lucy informed the doctor. "The only thing Virgil received from me was a sound scolding. And I'll thank you both to keep your voices down. I will need to speak with Sir Wilhern before we leave, but I'd rather not cause a disturbance."

Her ears caught the creak of floorboards, and she realized it may be too late.

She heard the sound of a door opening and closing in the hallway. She smelled incense and cinnamon.

"Lucy, dear," came Evelyne's voice. "What is that sudden racket? Are you al..?"

Evelyne trailed off as she appeared in Lucy's open doorway, wearing only a long, translucent silk robe over her lacy negligee. Her sleepy gaze came to rest on Virgil.

"Virgil!" she exclaimed, surprised and delighted.

"Evelyne," Virgil purred. His eyes took a slow tour of her figure. "You look positively fetching in your...gown."

Dr. Reed glanced at Lucy. "The witch?" he asked.

"Yes," Lucy replied. "Evelyne Ives."

Evelyne continued to stare only at Virgil, an elated and coquettish smile on her face. "You came back!"

"Wild wolves could not keep me away," he told her.

"You don't say," she remarked with a coy smirk. "But you're in the wrong place. My bedroom is down the hall."

Virgil approached Evelyne, taking her hand in his, and branding her dainty row of knuckles with a heated kiss.

"I wish I could say that I was here only for the pleasure of seeing you," he said, "but in truth, my visit is due to a far less festive occasion. We must make haste. Lucy must leave."

Evelyne's smitten gaze shifted from Virgil to Lucy. She saw the dried blood staining Lucy's dress, and she sobered immediately.

"Lucy! Are you hurt?"

"No," Lucy assured her. "The blood isn't mine, though I doubt that fact does much to sate your discomfort. And I am ashamed of what I have done to the dress you gifted me."

Evelyne waved a graceful hand in dismissal. "Never mind that, pet. A dress is a dress. Why must you leave?"

Dr. Reed answered in Lucy's stead, "Lucy is in danger, and she does not wish to bestow that danger upon all of you."

Evelyne let her eyes roam over Dr. Reed, silently appraising him.

"Hmmmm," she mused. "Handsome, poised, a bit too studious and prudent for my taste... You must be Thomas Reed!"

"I am," Dr. Reed confirmed. "And you, Miss Ives, are to thank for Lucy's potent blood capsules. They saved me the other night. I am pleased to make your acquaintance; I only wish it were during less dire circumstances."

"The feeling is mutual, Dr. Reed," Evelyne said, inclining her head. "I don't mean to fuel the fire of argument, but if Lucy is in danger, wouldn't she be safest here? In the company of a witch?"

Virgil's eyebrows shot skyward. His head bobbed in a vigorous nod. "That has the ring of truth to it."

Dr. Reed glared at him. "Lucy's safety is not the reason you wish to stay, and you know it. Ahem. No disrespect intended, Miss Ives."

Evelyne shrugged her dainty shoulders. "None taken," she said. "I know the boy fancies a good shag."

Virgil grinned and said nothing.

"No, Evelyne," Lucy said, steering the conversation back to its intended course. "As grateful as I am for your care and friendship, this danger comes in the form of an ancient, powerful evil. I cannot risk your life. Or the life of Sir Wilhern. I've lost one Wilhern to this abomination already, and I will not lose another. I must leave."

Evelyne's eyes narrowed in thought. She gave Lucy a long, appraising look, taking in the urgency of her voice and words. At last, she nodded her head, the action slow and deliberate.

"You are too magnanimous, Lucy," she said. "One of the many things I adore about you. Just know, I will help in any way I can."

Lucy smiled, touched by the charismatic woman's sentiment. "I will need to speak with Sir Wilhern before I leave."

"I'll see if he's awake," Evelyne offered. She strode from the room, heading for the door at the end of the hall.

Lucy returned to her packing. She folded the two simple dresses she had selected from her wardrobe into compact slabs of material. She placed them in a large leather bag along with a nightgown, some discreetly wrapped undergarments, a pair of shoes, her brush, and a few ribbons for her hair.

Taking inventory of her spoils, she nodded, murmuring to herself, "That should be plenty. Yes, that's enough."

"What about this?" Dr. Reed asked. He picked up the hardcover book on her bedside table and held it out to her. A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens. Only Thomas Reed would think of indulging in literature amidst a crisis, and she loved him for it.

She smiled, taking the book. "With all that has come to pass, I'd almost forgotten I was reading it. Thank you, Thomas."

Evelyne returned to the room. "Sir Wilhern is awake, pet, and he very much wants to see you."

Lucy nodded, solemn. "Thank you, Evelyne."

She turned to Dr. Reed and Virgil. "Come with me. I'll introduce you both. I know he would enjoy meeting you."

The foursome trooped down the hall. The door to Sir Wilhern's room was slightly ajar, and Lucy rapped softly with her knuckles before entering. Evelyne, Dr. Reed, and Virgil filed into the room after her.

Sir Wilhern was propped up with pillows in his bed, a plush black robe tied snuggly around him. He grinned at his visitors.

"Forgive the intrusion," Lucy said.

"You could never intrude, my dear girl," her guardian told her. "Come in, come in. It's always exciting to have guests."

Dr. Rosencrantz was seated at Sir Wilhern's side, a stethoscope in his hand. "I'll leave you to it. I was checking Victor's heart rate and blood pressure, but I'm finished now."

"No, please stay," Lucy said. "This concerns all of you."

Dr. Rosencrantz hesitated. He gave a curt nod and remained seated.

Sir Wilhern held his hands out, motioning to Dr. Reed and Virgil. "Who are your charming friends, Lucy?"

"Of course," Lucy said, remembering her manners. "Sir Wilhern, allow me to present Dr. Thomas Reed and Virgil. Gentlemen, this is our proprietor, Sir Victor Wilhern."

They murmured their greetings, bending in courteous bows. Sir Wilhern dipped his head in kind.

"And this is Dr. Gil Rosencrantz," Lucy continued, motioning to the live-in physician.

The exchange was repeated.

Lucy noticed a fleeting glance of curiosity pass between the two doctors.

Ever the diplomat, Sir Wilhern greeted them with warmth. "Gentlemen, what an honor. This is a rare opportunity indeed. Now, Dr. Reed, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you share the same strengths and afflictions as our Lucy."

"Yes, sir," Dr. Reed concurred. "I am a vampire."

Dr. Rosencrantz looked on, his eyes glittering.

"A vampire, yet in your right mind," Sir Wilhern remarked. "That is near impossible to find in London. And a doctor, too! I am glad to know you."

"Likewise, sir," Dr. Reed said.

Sir Wilhern smiled, and turned his attention to Virgil. "Now you, sir. I believe you are something altogether different. Something I have not yet encountered."

Virgil seemed amused, a cheeky smile making an appearance on his lips. "I am a dhampir, your grace. My father is a vampire. My mother was mortal."

Evelyne inched closer to him, looping her arm through his.

"How fascinating!" Sir Wilhern declared. "I was unaware that procreation was possible between the two. You are truly a first for me, young man! I should like to discuss your origins at length — at a more opportune time, of course."

"The feeling is mutual, sir," Virgil agreed. "Though I am hardly a 'young man.' If I had to wager a guess, I would say I have about sixteen hundred and fifty years on you."

Dr. Rosencrantz was practically salivating.

Sir Wilhern laughed in delight. "Nothing like an interlude with the nocturnal gentry to make me feel boyish and spry! What a treat!"

"A treat for us, as well," Dr. Reed said. "Forgive my forward statement, Sir Wilhern, but you seem to take our oddities in stride."

"Nothing to forgive; I take it as a compliment," Sir Wilhern said. "We celebrate all forms of life in this house."

"In that, you are a rarity, as well," Virgil told him.

The aging aristocrat smiled. "I'm honored you think so. I hold in highest esteem all that which most people fear — be it immortal beings, practices such as witchcraft, foreign history, or the inner workings of the human mind. Seeing proof of what mankind has dismissed as myth causes an unexpected reflection inward. I am aware of the world beyond the common ignorance. I can see the man behind the curtain. And I can tell you, humanity is lost on the human." He chuckled to himself. "But that is a story for another time."

Sir Wilhern turned his gaze to Lucy and folded his hands in his lap. His smile was one of fond melancholy. "Lucy dear, Evelyne tells me you feel the need to leave us."

Lucy fidgeted with her sleeve. "My hope is that it will be a temporary parting," she said. "But as long as there is an impending threat, I must stay away. I cannot in good conscience put you in danger."

Sir Wilhern considered this, the corners of his mouth dipping in a thoughtful frown. "And you do not believe you would be safest here? Protected by the wards Evelyne has placed on the manor?"

"I don't mean to boast," Evelyne interjected, "but they really are the best wards you will find south of the marshes of Scotland."

Virgil turned to her. "They didn't prevent me from sneaking in."

Evelyne smirked at the dhampir, a hand on her hip. "I created the wards to protect the household from nefarious intent," she clarified. "A being or force that would do us harm. They're not designed to rebuff Peeping Toms."

Virgil grinned mischievously. "Touché."

"I do not doubt Evelyne's skills," Lucy said. "Even so, I would be restless and anxious if I stayed. This danger is real. The best choice of recourse is for me to exist elsewhere for the time being."

"I respect your candor," her guardian said. As he gazed at her, the lamp light reflected in the rectangular glass of his spectacles. "Though, perhaps, you could elaborate on exactly what this danger is. The more I know, the greater the chance I may be able to provide some assistance."

Lucy looked to Dr. Reed, then to Virgil. With the unspoken consent of both parties, she returned her gaze to Sir Wilhern. She nodded. "Very well."

Knowing time was against them, Lucy gave her small audience the abridged version of all that had occurred in the past two days. She summarized everything she knew regarding the Nosferatu's intent, the Ceremony of Unity, the trilogy of rites, and all the information she had pieced together with the help of Dr. Reed and Virgil.

As she spoke, Sir Wilhern's complexion grew steadily paler.

"The creature will come for me tonight," she concluded. "That is why I must be as far from here as possible. You are not safe with me. Even Virgil is uncertain of the extent of his strength."

Sir Wilhern put a palm to his mouth, his eyes wide and stricken.

"I know, it is far worse than you imagined," Lucy said, her chin dropping to her chest. "That is why I must leave. I am so sorry for the trouble I have delivered onto your house."

Sir Wilhern's expression was a muddied mix of regret and disappointment. He gave a sharp shake of his head, and pressed his lips together. "Lucy, please refrain from apologizing to me. It is I who should be begging your forgiveness."

Befuddled, Lucy took a step toward him. "That's nonsense. You've done nothing wrong."

"It's my fault. All of it," he argued, rubbing his forehead in distracted dismay. "It was my ship, my responsibility... Lucy, there was never a mummy inside that sarcophagus."

Lucy's features melted into a patient smile. "Of course there wasn't. But you couldn't have known that."

"Oh, but I did," Sir Wilhern said.

Lucy's smile faltered. "Beg pardon?"

Dr. Rosencrantz leapt to his feet. He placed a boney hand on Sir Wilhern's shoulder. "Victor," he said with urgency, "with all due respect, I hardly think this is the time to divulge our—"

Sir Wilhern held up a hand, cutting off the doctor's words. "Sit down, Gil. It's time she knew."

Dr. Rosencrantz returned to his chair. He sat with the dejected posture of a school boy who had been scolded by his favorite teacher.

Apprehension spread like ice inside Lucy's veins. Her narrowed eyes migrated from Sir Wilhern to Dr. Rosencrantz, and back.

"It's time I knew what?" she asked, her voice pinched with trepidation.

"The truth," Sir Wilhern sighed. "I knew, before we left Egypt, that the sarcophagus did not contain a mummy," he confessed. His eyes were downcast, gaze focused on his wedding ring as he rotated it in circles around his finger. "While alone inside that forgotten tomb at Giza, I pushed back the lid and saw the creature within. I knew what it was. I knew the dark power of which it was capable. As my employees loaded the sarcophagus aboard the ship, I wrote the cargo manifest. I lied. Lucy, I brought an ancient vampire to London willingly and purposefully. I brought it...because I chose to."

The shame in Sir Wilhern's voice hovered like a dark phantom in the air. He looked up, his tortured gaze returning to Lucy's face. His eyes shone with remorse.

"You feel responsible for Arthur's death, but you mustn't," he said to her, his voice breaking. "I am to blame. My son is dead, and you are a vampire, because of me."

~ * ~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

344 0 33
A woman is trapped within a London hospital and can't move beyond its grounds. She doesn't know exactly how long she's been there, and she can't ask...
5.7K 133 31
(slow🍋burn) (🔖wattys 2022 nominated ) One night, on a boring hunt, the Hellsing pet discovers an enticing mystery. A little vampiress with a heart...
8.1M 393K 91
[COMPLETED]✔ Book 1 of The Deliverance Series Ménage--MxFxM 2017 Fiction Award Winner for Best Mature Book. --⊰♥⊱-- "Death would be too good for yo...
31 0 8
The hisses and whispers of the creatures lurk in the darkness. The screams of anger and hunger bounce off the dusty crinkled books. Harmless creatur...