𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐆𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃 ♚ 𝐥...

By sgfgdarling

where luke meets a girl a lot stronger than him. luke hemmings is an underground boxer, after one of the... More

underground ✦ lrh
01 - lyla gets invited to a stupid party
02 - introducing ashton irwin
03 - luke's first appearance
04 - luke and lyla meet
05 - michael's bad a sex
06 - lyla loves inside out
07 - ashton made breakfast
08 - maria has a date
09 - michael is a hypocrite
10 - the blond fighter
11 - maria got mad
12 - calum's a wingman
13 - lyla suggests sitting on the floor
14 - maria is clueless
15 - mikes plan to make a move
16 - runaway plans
17 - calum was spotted with a girl
18 - is it a sleepover?
19 - luke is never getting his jacket back
20 - heartache on the big screen
22 - larceny and vandilsm do not compare
23 - stop trespassing, luke will sue you
24 - calum is a little sassy
25 - space song
26 - wanna go to a concert?
27 - luke should be humbled
28 - there's no point in having secrets
29 - pisces and an infp
30 - sorry, we forgot
31 - we're saying princess now??
32 - ashtons the wordsmith, not lyla
33 - a way of confessing feelings
34 - thanksgiving
35 - we're in philly
36 - drunk people are loud
37 - he's such a dork
38 - and she didn't tell them??
39 - he's not my boyfriend
40 - he is a boxer after all...
41 - blame it on the alcohol
42 - not the himym reference
43 - she's a little bit... you know
44 - mercury in retrograde
45 - here's to doing dumb shit
46 - what is this? a fanfiction?
47 - the beginning of the end
48 - jo & laurie
epilogue
authors note

21 - lyla is so confused

1.1K 45 14
By sgfgdarling

Maria had dragged Lyla out on an impromptu lunch date. To one of their favourite cafés from when they first arrived in New York, both loved the rooftop seating, but for different reasons. Lyla loved the wind and the calming environment, Maria adored the decorations and setting along with a year-round hot chocolate.

The curly-haired girl saw her private time alone with her best friend as the perfect opportunity to drill Lyla with questions about Luke. Lyla rarely ever went into detail about Luke, she always brushed it off and, said that she and Luke don't have much of a relationship to talk about. And, without the constant interruption and restriction that the boys bring in.

"Okay," Maria spoke, placing her cup on the table. "Let's play a game," she suggested, crossing one leg over the other as she leaned forward.

Lyla knew where this conversation was going, they sat in silence for a few minutes before Maria chose to speak up, as per usual Lyla was sitting in her seat incorrectly. One of her legs pulled into her chest while the other was uncomfortably trying to keep itself from sliding off the plastic of the chair. She sighed, resting her head on her knee, "Mm, what does this game involve?" Lyla asked.

"I like to call it...uh, back and forth," Maria explained. It was a dumb excuse for a game, Lyla has told her everything she has wanted to know. However, Maria knew that pieces were missing and she was determined to find them. "It's where we go back and forth and talk about our lives."

"You know Maria," Lyla said, "if you wanted to ask me about Luke, you could have just asked." A small smile found itself on her lips, Maria always found a way to take the hard way around things, trying her best to be oblivious with the playful look in her eyes.

"Okay fine," she said, "I'm asking you about Luke because you never talk about him." Maria added, "And don't you dare say shit about how there is nothing to talk about."

Lyla sighed, rolling her head back. She's told Maria everything about Luke– everything but her feelings. Lyla hasn't even figured that out herself yet – other than that, all the details have been shared. "Maria, I've told you everything." Lyla stated, "What else could you possibly want to know?"

Maria's ears perked up at the question, this was her chance, Lyla was willing to get asked any question. "I want to know how you feel," Maria said, "I want to know how you feel when you're with him."

"You ask me like I know," Lyla laughed, "Maria I don't know how I feel when I'm with Luke." She moaned, "I don't even know the guy for Christ's sake." It wasn't a lie; Lyla didn't exactly know Luke. They've only properly talked once or twice before, Luke is still a stranger, a stranger who she's cuddled with.

"Yes, but you like him." Maria said, "And you're still wearing his jacket, you haven't taken it off since Sunday." The girl found it hard to not smile, her best friend liked someone, too bad that Lyla's too blinded by denial to see it.

"I can't like him," Lyla said, "I don't know the guy." She repeated, "He's pretty eyes, absolutely beautiful, brings me to tears. Look, I'm just saying that it's too soon for me to... come to a conclusion."

"Figure it out quicker!" Maria scolded, "You're seeing him, tomorrow right?"

"Yeah," Lyla responded much too calmly for what she was feeling on the inside. Lyla hadn't stopped thinking about her plans with Luke tomorrow, counting down the minutes and constantly checking the time for when she'd get to see the blond fighter again. It's the only thing she's been looking forward too.

Maria scoffed, shocked with how calm and nonchalant the girl was being, "Yeah?" She repeated, trying her best to keep her calm. "Lyla! If you like this boy, tomorrow is the chance to figure it all out!"

"I'm just so confused," Lyla mumbled, "this is all moving too fast Maria. I need things to slow down," she told. All of this was overwhelming, the questions, comments, overall confusion– Lyla didn't know, she never knew. For once, she wanted things to make sense and whatever feelings or emotions that Luke made– makes her feel is all one big mystery that she can't solve.

"I get that," Maria said, "and I don't want to push you, but answer this question for me." Lyla shrugged in response allowing the girl to continue, "Are you excited?" A cheeky smile appeared on her face as she took a long sip from her hot chocolate.

At this, Lyla couldn't lie as her cheeks grew a rosy colour at the thought, hiding her smile with the sleeves of the sweater. "Yeah, I'm pretty fucking excited." Though, Lyla wasn't looking forward to parting with the jacket yet.

"Yes!" Maria squealed, "Are you going to sleep over there again or should I expect you to come home?" Her fingers were crossed that Lyla would stay over at Luke's apartment. It has been ages since her best friend ever considered having feelings for someone and acted on it. Maria was happy that Lyla was finally getting something she deserved.

"Don't count on me staying over," Lyla said, "if things change, I'll be sure to tell you." Playing with the rim of her cup, "So, how are things between you and Michael?" She asked considering Maria and Michael have been spending a lot more time together since they've gotten exposed two days prior.

Lyla found it cute, Michael would get so flustered, Maria will act all coy and shy. Last night, Michael bought the girl a stuffed bear after failing miserably at the carnival games at the coney island fair. Meanwhile, Calum and Lyla were too busy stopping at every food cart to notice and feed to Michaels embarrassment.

"You never told me why you like Michael," Lyla spoke, "I think now would be a good time."

In all honesty, Maria didn't know why she liked Michael. He's never been her type, nor the person she ever imagined herself to be with. This appeared to be a difficult question for the girl, she contemplated for a few minutes before finding the best answer she could think of.

"He's sweet," she answered, Lyla couldn't help but laugh. "Okay, ha-ha, I know Michael and sweet has never been used in a sentence before." Maria rolled her eyes; this was the part where Lyla would express her interest in astrology and bash the red-haired boy.

"Maria," Lyla started, "he's a Scorpio male!" She laughed, "Not to generalize, but Scorpio men suck."

"Okay, yes... Michael's different though," Maria said. Ever since the boy confessed his 'undying love' for the girl, he's been a lot more romantic and open– although, usurpingly, he's been super protective. "What zodiac sign is Luke?"

"If I knew then I would tell you," Lyla responded, finishing the rest of her hot chocolate and placing the cup down the table. "Okay, enough talk about boys, when are you going home for the winter?"

"Um... two days after the university closes." Maria said, "I haven't bought the tickets for my flight home yet, I'll do that next month. Are you going to England?"

"I'll have to check, but, yeah probably." Lyla's parents moved to England after she left to university, at that time, her father's contract finished– after ten years, and they had no reason to stay. Of course, Lyla's mother, she found it a foreign feeling to not live in walls lined with electric fencing and adjust to a different setting. England was much different from her home for ten years, and her home in Malaysia.

-

When the girls arrived at their dorm, they walked in to find three boys waiting. This was the first time Ashton Irwin had ever stepped foot in the girls' dorm room, he was particularly fond with the clash in decoration.

"Oh, hello." Maria said, awkwardly strolling into the room, "What are you all doing here?" She asked a few ideas were roaming through her head as to why there seems to be a group meeting happening in her dorm room. All of which involved Luke.

Lyla somehow knew why they were here; she got a feeling that they were all here to talk about Luke and their relationship. "Can you guys... just like stop?" She said, "I know you're here to talk about Luke."

"Good," Ashton spoke, "we just need to tell you some things about Luke before your little... date tomorrow."

"Unless it's his birthday and his last name, I don't want to know," Lyla told, knowing Michael and Calum they brought Ashton in for the sole purpose of warning the girl. Although they had their best interests and are simply trying to look out for her, Lyla didn't want their help– or a guide to the blond boxer.

"Well Luke Hemmings was born on July sixteenth, and he's a Cancer," Ashton informed. He didn't know what to expect, Luke reacted the exact same when they showed up at his apartment for a sudden family meeting.

Luke Hemmings, it had a nice ring to it. "Okay great, that's all I need to know." Lyla said, "Whatever tragic background story or information you guys have I don't want to know. That is private information and should be shared with the person consent." She ranted, "And I doubt Luke is comfortable about you guys spilling his life story."

"That's funny, he said the same thing." Calum commented, earning a slap to the back of his head by Michael, "Ow! You bitch," he groaned, pinching the boy in retort.

"Guys," Ashton sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, "we already went through this." Waving his hand around fed up with the childish behaviour of the two twenty-year-old men acting like six-year-old boys.

"Right," Calum coughed, "Lyla we only have your best interests and don't want you to get hurt." He explained.

"I think I can handle pain Cal," Lyla said.

"Yeah," Maria joined in, "and you guys seem to forget that Lyla can take care of herself." She added.

"Look, I appreciate you guys looking out for me, but I can take care of myself, and I can deal with pain and hurt." She informed, "I take full responsibility to whatever happens in the future, though I doubt anything will happen because Luke and I probably aren't even considered friends."

Pulling open the door and waving her hand out, Lyla invited the boys to leave and let things play out as they should. Without any interference from the peanut gallery. If she and Luke were not meant to have a relationship of any sort then that will be revealed when it's time. Not because she's scared of him or intimidated with who he is because of petty stories from her friends.

"Thank you, guys, for caring, but I think I can handle it."

-

hey!! a short filler chapter, don't want to rush things. 
everyone is releasing music! mgk, melanie Martinez, the neighbourhood, Mr Ashton Irwin!!! 

I hope you guys enjoyed and will continue to stick around, have a good day/night :)
~ anne

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

371K 10.5K 35
In which a popular boy who cares too much about his reputation meets a girl who hates attention.
38K 697 41
In which a girl who's scared of love falls for a boy who's afraid of being left. ((Completed)) *under editing* Rankings: #2 in lukehemmings
4.1K 290 34
After a horrible break up, Luke is there to catch Michael. Till something happens and the two boys start to ignore each other.
2K 6 55
(Originally called Luke Hemmings but it's more about Michael now so I changed it) Luke Hemmings.....not that popular.... small group of friends.....h...