Victory or Sovngarde

By Wolfiesta

Book Three of the Honor and Glory Trilogy Six years after defeating Miraak and saving the entire world for th... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chaptet Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Epilogue
Final Notes and Acknowledgements

Chapter Thirty-Six

205 16 22
By Wolfiesta

The Thalmor marched. News of their advances reached Whiterun every few hours. Couriers from the western front brought dreadful missives of the warpath burned behind the Aldmeri forces. Forsworn hideouts were razed until they were nothing more than dark ash. Miners were driven from their homes, their tools stripped and used to make more weapons for the Dominion. Rorikstead had been demolished, though the civilians had thankfully evacuated before the march arrived. Now, the Thalmor were practically on our doorstep. We had little time to prepare a city not suited for invasion.

But by the gods, the soldiers worked. Pulling everyone out of the eastern territories, we had a formidable army ready to face death and smile. This was our last chance. If we were defeated, we would have no forces left to expend, no men and women to fight.

It truly was victory or Sovngarde.

I watched from the gate as my men finished the wooden ramparts atop the walls. The forests between Whiterun and Helgen had been plundered. It was sad, staring towards the base of the mountains and seeing bald spots in the tree line, but we didn't have a choice. Day and night, soldiers worked in shifts to prepare. Spikes were carved and shoved into the ground. Walkways were erected for bowmen to perch upon. Even a system for booby traps was established over the bridge and gate leading to Whiterun. On the day of battle, plans were made to raise the drawbridge and fill the stream running around the city with oil. We would do everything we could to stave off invaders from all sides.

With the fortifications nearing completion, the citizens began to evacuate. Shopkeepers boarded up their windows. The priests locked the doors to the temples and tombs. Dragonsreach became a fallback fortress, should the need arise. Jorrvaskr, too, shored up its defenses. There was little space to house every soldier once the inn filled up, so many had taken to setting up tents behind shops, in the streets between barricades, and in Jorrvaskr's training yard.

Food stores had been filled in the event of a siege. Knowing Elenwen, there would be no siege. She would want to end this quickly. Still, we had to be prepared for anything. The Thalmor would be.

As I watched the construction, Vilkas approached me from the direction of the stables. My heart clenched. It was time. "They don't want to go," he said as we walked towards the numerous carriages lined up in a wagon train. Bound for Helgen. Bound for safety until the storm passed. We had to keep our citizens safe.

In the very first wagon in the train sat our children, Tyra, Farkas, and their little ones. Farkas had his hand on his wife's belly, stroking it and whispering to it. Tyra wept and ran her fingers through his hair. Beside her, the children reached for their father.

Jergen and Embla almost leapt out of the cart when they saw us approach. We stopped them, climbed in next to them, and held them in our arms.

"Don't send us away," wept Embla as she clutched my cape in her hands. "We'll stay under Jorrvaskr and won't make a peep! We swear!"

"We have to keep you little pups safe," said Vilkas. "It won't be for long. Helgen is safe. You'll have your Auntie Tyra there, and Bri and Kale, and Tilma. It'll be like home."

"But you won't be there!" said Jergen. He sat up and fixed us with a harsh glare. "You're staying here! You're sending us away instead of coming with us to keep us safe!"

I placed a hand on his head and shushed him. "We have to, son. We have to protect you." Then, as difficult as it was, we pulled ourselves away from our children and hopped out of the carriage. "Take care of your Aunt Tyra for us, okay? You can do that. Be brave, little ones." I kissed them each on the head as Farkas said his final goodbyes to his family. I then turned to Tyra, walking forward and jumping onto the hitch at the back of the wagon. She bent forward, I pulled her into me, and kissed her on the head. "May the gods protect you, Tyra. I know they're watching over you and your baby."

"I don't want the gods over me," she sobbed. "You need their protection far more than I. Talos guide you, Ylva."

"Be brave, little sister. We fight for you." I jumped off the carriage, bid my niece and nephew goodbye, then ordered the caravan to start moving. Slowly, the drivers pulled away from the stables, down the cobbles, towards Helgen. The fortress would be a safe place for the citizens of Whiterun. Underneath the fort had been restored, though it needed little work after Alduin's attack so many years ago.

It was the safest place in Skyrim at the moment.

Vilkas, Farkas, and I watched, holding back tears, as the caravan rolled away. Hooves clopped over the road, wheels squeaked, dust plumed, and women and children wept. The soldiers who stayed behind, young and able-bodied, watched their families leave them behind. Sofie wiped a tear out of her eye as her parents rolled past her. Eirik put a hand on her shoulder and whispered something to her lost in the sound of travel.

As the wagons disappeared down the road, Marina, Ulfric, and Jarl Balgruuf joined us. The Jarl wore a set of plate armor bearing the Whiterun insignia across the chest. His axe hung from his waist, and his helmet decorated with white horsehair settled under his arm.

I stepped forward and pressed my arm across my chest in salute. "My Jarl, there is no reason for you to prepare for battle."

"I will fight for my people, Ylva, and for all the free people of Skyrim." Balgruuf turned to address the army still standing by the roads, watching the wagons trundle their way to Helgen. "Back to work! We have to expect the Thalmor at any moment! We will see our people again."

The soldiers dispersed, and we followed the other commanders back to the main tent. It was too far a walk to Dragonsreach, so we had established a command tent just inside the walls. We three Companions flanked the table on one side, and the others stood opposite of us.

"How many have our scouts reported?" asked Marina as we stared at the missives scattered over a map of Whiterun Hold. "Ten thousand?"

"Maybe fifteen now," said Ulfric as he laid another note on the table. "We are outnumbered five to one, counting the farmers who are barely able to wield a sword. We're no formidable force, and we're fighting within the least defensible capital in the entire province."

"Would you rather we retreat to Windhelm, Ulfric?" asked Vilkas. "March our army for days with little food, no rest, over rocky, steep, and frigid terrain? The Thalmor would pick us apart from the rear, then finish us off on Windhelm's doorstep. We stay here."

"I believe that decision falls to our Dragonborn."

I looked up. "We're staying. We just sent our people to Helgen for shelter. If we leave, they're in the warpath. They'd be slaughtered. We stand as their only defense."

"We're all Skyrim has left," said Farkas. "We're her last chance."

"You're right, brother," said Vilkas.

Farkas fixed his twin with a sharp smile. He had a cunning look in his eye, which seemed a rare sight for the likes of him. "And we'll give the Thalmor a fight they'll never forget."

I smiled at Farkas. Not for the first time, I thanked the gods for his bravery and grit. "We sure will, Farkas." Then, I turned to the others. "We'll take our leave. We have an age-old tradition to uphold back at Jorrvaskr."

They gave us our leave, and we left for our home. Farkas laid an arm over my shoulders and Vilkas held my hand. I felt safe in between my husband and brother-in-law. Comforted. Being near them like this was as natural as breathing to me. I could almost forget the doom that now hung over us like an inky-black storm cloud.

But the ramparts and barricades soon reminded me.

We stepped into Jorrvaskr. Everyone, minus Tyra and the children, gathered in our main hall. The usual spread of assorted foods and drink laid before us, though our stores were empty. This had been the last meal we could acquire after having given our excess supplies to the war effort.

On the eve of many a battle, Jorrvaskr was filled with laughter and merriment. Songs of past accomplishments hung in the air while meat roasted over the open flame. Mead filled every tankard under the roof. Cheery brawls broke out, usually ending in small wounds and bruised egos. In more recent years, the giggling of children, sneaking out of bed to watch the merrymaking, caught the hardened warriors' attention.

I wanted tonight to be no different.

I turned to one side of the dining hall, towards the lower-ranked members. Athis, Njada, Eirik, and Sofie clustered together with a look of trepidation on their faces. We all knew what was at stake, but we had to forget that tonight. "Njada! Get some music going!"

The silver-haired woman picked up a lute and began to strum. Sofie soon joined her with a drum. Together, they played a steady, warm tune that filled the hall with sweet tones. The mood within Jorrvaskr changed; the Companions started to chatter, smile, and laugh as they normally do. Vignar Graymane and Aela struck up a conversation about hunting strategies. Vilkas and Farkas soon moved to take their places at the table.

Even on the precipice of battle, I broke into a smile for the sake of my Companions. With all the anticipation we'd carried over the last months, our last celebration before the storm would be one for the ages.

I couldn't live in fear anymore. I'd spent half of my life on the run from the Thalmor. No more. Tomorrow, I was taking the fight to them. They were once again at my doorstep, but this time, they wouldn't chase me into the woods. This time, I wouldn't hide behind the trees as I held back tears for the loss I'd suffered. This time, I wouldn't leave my loved ones to fend for themselves.

I wasn't the farm girl anymore. I wasn't even the mercenary. I was Ylva Sky-Shatterer, Dragonborn, Harbinger, wife, and mother. I couldn't run from my fights any longer.

"My only fear is Tyra going into childbirth without me," said Farkas as the three of us started cutting into our food. "The gods have her in their hands, but I'm still worried about her."

"She's never faced this alone," added Vilkas with a knowing bob of his head. "But she'll be fine. She's surrounded by other women who've been through this before. If she does go into labor, she has an army of people to help her."

"Is it selfish to be worried about her?"

"No," I assured him. "You're a caring, loving husband who has a lot of concerns for his wife. That's normal. But she's not made of glass, brother. Your wife is a tough one."

"She has to be." Vilkas threw an elbow behind my chair and struck his twin in the ribs. "She's delivering your big-headed child."

"We have the same damn head!" The bigger of the two brothers tossed a hunk of bread at my husband, but both men had a smile on their faces as they teased each other.

Swallowing a gulp of water heavily, I got out of my chair and headed toward the back doors. I didn't want to leave the merriment, but I needed some fresh air. It was all I could do to keep my feet steady as I stood from my seat.

"Are you all right, love?" asked Vilkas as he started to follow me.

"I'm fine, I'm fine." I waved my hand at him and laughed. "I just need a little air. I'll be right back."

Vilkas didn't protest, and I was able to leave Jorrvaskr without him following me. Once I was outside, I took a seat at one of the tables and filled my lungs with the crisp air.

I tried to remember what I felt like on the eve of my battle with Alduin. Before now, defeating that dragon menace was my biggest challenge. I never thought I'd find anything scarier than fighting the World-Eater himself.

It had helped that I didn't get a chance to breathe in between my fight with Odahviing and Alduin. I went from talking to the orange dragon to riding on his back as he carried me away to Skuldafn. I didn't get a chance to be afraid. Not like this, anyway.

I couldn't think about tomorrow. The battle would eat me alive before it even began if I allowed it. For now, the only course of action I could take was preparing for it without worrying about it.

Easier said than done.

I thought back to my visit with Danica earlier today. I'd gone to talk to her about her plans for after the battle, and in the process, she'd badgered me into a checkup before the big day.

I couldn't blame her for making sure I was fit for battle. After my rescue from the Embassy some weeks ago, I'd needed a lot of time to recover. Some days, I wasn't sure I was ever going to be the same.

Danica was just trying to be a good friend, and I had no reason to turn her down. I couldn't have known we'd discover something that would throw a wrench into the battle plans for tomorrow.

My wish for more babies had come true. I was expecting another child.

I had another little life growing inside me, and so new at that. I couldn't have conceived long ago, and to know I had a baby growing inside me made me even more nervous for the battle. If I told Vilkas the truth, he never would've allowed me to fight, but I couldn't very well leave my men to defend this front alone.

It was hard, but I just wouldn't tell my husband until after the battle. All I could do in the meantime was act like I didn't know anything. I just had to make it through this war-ending battle without letting the truth slip out.

"They're starting to miss you inside," chuckled my husband as he stepped outside to check on me. "Had enough fresh air?"

"I suppose so," I laughed back while I got out of my seat and stood next to him. "I don't suppose I should disappoint them."

"I don't know." Vilkas put his hands around my waist and yanked me into his body like a man dying. "We could let them drink on their own while we reveled in our room."

Oh, if only he knew just what position our "reveling" had put me in.

"Are you afraid, Vilkas?" I asked as I turned to look toward the horizon past the walls. "Do you fear what comes tomorrow?"

"The only thing I fear is losing you again." His grip tightened around me. "Barring that, I have no reason to fear. The gods brought you back for a reason, and if defeating the Thalmor was that reason, then what have I to fear?"

"You're right." I leaned into his body and closed my eyes while I tried not to let my mind wander to all the horrible scenarios tomorrow could bring. "Thank you, husband. You've given me the strength I need to face the rest of this feast."

"Then let's get back inside."

We walked into Jorrvaskr together, out of the dark night and into the warmth of our ancient mead hall. Into the faces and arms of friends and family ready for whatever tomorrow had in store.

We would not fear tomorrow. As warriors of Skyrim, we were honor-bound to defend her to the end. We would see to it that our motherland was free from tyranny once and for all.

Or we would die trying.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.1K 533 20
Tons and tons of things about animal crossing new leaf could be better! I'm gonna find out everything wrong with this game and put it in a book!
1.1M 45.1K 52
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
1M 54.9K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...
1.1M 49.4K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC