The Sun in My Eyes

Od muggedoff4life

Bobby's friends dared him to audition for Love Island and he never could resist a good dare. He didn't expect... Více

1 Blinded
2 The Day Gets Brighter
3 Dare in the Daylight
4 The Clouds Look...Uncertain
5 The Night was Sultry
6 The Midnight Bombshell What Bombs at Midnight
7 Of Graft and Glowing
8 Dancing at Dawn
9 This Day Dream is Dangerous (Lili's Confessional)
10 Follow the Sparks, I'll Drive
11 A Light Shining Through
12 Just Outside the Circle of Light
13 Need the Sun to Break
14 I Want to Give You a Brand New Sky
15 Captivated by You Baby Like a Fireworks Show
16 Hand in the Flame of a Flickering Lighter
17 Here Comes the Sun in the Form of a Girl
18 Every Time You Shine, I'll Shine for You
19 Kiss Me Once 'Cause You Know I Had a Long Night
20 Shadows Bleeding Through the Light
21 No Comfort in the Shade of the Shadows Thrown
22 Got Scared When the Lights Went Low
23 Just a Touch of the Fire Burning so Bright
24 Wrap Me in Everything That Glows
25 Just Keep Me Where the Light Is
26 Toda Mi Vida, Se Abriga Con Tu Calor
27 The Fear Before The Flames
28 One Minute There was Road Beneath Us, the Next Just Sky
29 You Should See the Way She Holds Me When the Lights Go Low
30 You're All I Want, So Bring Me the Dawn
31 And the Sky Turned Black Like A Perfect Storm
32 It's Hard Letting Go of the Afterglow
33 Praying For the Light I See in Your Eyes
34 Flicker and Sway, Still Dancing on the Aftertaste
35 Baby, Look Up the Sky is Falling
36 Keep Glowing, I'll Follow Your Explosions
37 Like the Colors in Autumn So Bright Just Before They Lose It All
39 We Will Lie Under Different Stars
40 Feels Like Summer But It's Earthquake Weather
41 Day Bleeds into Nightfall
42 Morning Light, It Stings a Little
43 Been Burning For You Baby Since the Moment I Left
44 My Eclipsed Sun, This Has Broken Me Down
45 Weepin' in a Sunlit Room
46 Remnants of Fire Blow Like Sand in the Night
47 Skinny Dip in Water Under the Bridge
48 Every Shadow Disappearing into Dawn
49 Making a Shelter for a Flame
50 Pocketful of Sunshine
51 Starting Like a Fire, Tonight You Lit the Flame
52 Old Flame, I Fell for Your Inferno
53 Under the Exit Lights as Beautiful as Ever
54 'Cause You're the Storm That I Believe In

38 Deserted Like the Moon is at the Dawn

1.9K 51 124
Od muggedoff4life

Shit goes sideways. That's it. That's what happens. 

WELCOME TO THE DISASTER RECOUPLING. 

**

What the show never captured was how chilly the evenings were in Mallorca. The days were blisteringly hot, but when the sun descended past the skyline, the icy breezes skimmed over the skin, leaving goosebumps in their wake. Often the islanders gathered in little pockets in the kitchen or under the potted trees, where the cold would pass them by. 

But not tonight. The weird vibe seemed to have affected the weather as well.

Bobby ran a hand across his damp forehead as the boys lined up at the firepit. The air was stagnant, no breeze to speak of, so it was blisteringly hot and humid, and so much worse near the fire. Sweating copiously, everyone sat except Jakub, who stayed on the lawn, feet spread wide, hands stretched above his head, hyping himself up.

"I'm feeling good! I'm ready!" Jakub shouted, doing strongman poses, grunting and relaxing and then doing it again. "Hoo ah!"

Gary chortled and did his own strongman pose. "Hoo ah," he whispered. A chorus of chuckles rose from the rest of the guys and they all began doing ridiculous macho poses. Their quiet laughter relieved the sticky tension that hung in the air like spiderwebs.

Even without the frosty breeze to carry it, nothing could stop the mélange of sweet and spicy perfumes that always arrived just before the girls did. The guys stilled. One by one their partners arrived. The fire licked over their faces, casting fire and shadows as they traded nervous glances. Lili was near the end of the queue, her curls scraped into messy buns. She smoothed the fabric of the loose-fitting dress she must have borrowed from another girl. Hope grabbed her hand and squeezed it like a lifeline. She smiled at something Hope whispered, and like always, her smile knocked the wind out of him. Those ever-present autumn leaves in his chest swirled and brightened at the sight of it.

Lili's eyes found his and he was overwhelmed, and so frightened of what was going to happen, he looked away, staring at his hands. He wished he'd talked to her. Wished he'd asked her to be his.

After what felt like forever, but was only a matter of minutes, the ding of a phone made everyone jump.

Jakub cleared his throat and flexed his sizable pecs. Beside him, as if he'd been challenged, Gary did the same. Bobby glanced down at his own chest, willing it to do that, but his muscles refused to perform on command. How did one learn that skill?

"Alright. I want to couple up with this girl because I think a lot of people in here might have given up on her. And because I think I see something in her that nobody else does." Everyone shifted and looked at each other in confusion. "She's a great laugh," he continued. "And I want to see where things go with her. I always say I'm not afraid to shake things up. I want to see where my journey takes me." He flexed again. "Anyway, the girl I want to couple up with is..." He smirked.

"Priya."

Everyone gasped. Noah locked eyes with Hope across the flames. She stared back, as expressionless as he usually was.

Rahim's brows drew together, and he took a step out of the queue, glaring at Jakub. "Wait, what are you play—"

Gary put a hand on Rahim's arm. "Easy, mate. Easy."

Priya stepped forward, looking unsure. She let out an anxious laugh and tossed her hair over her shoulder. Jakub, radiating smugness, grabbed her hand and pulled her to the seat beside him. She looked at Bobby and mouthed the word, help.

He would have laughed if he weren't in a cold sweat, stomach churning with foreboding.

Lucas's phone pinged. "I guess it's my turn." He shot to his feet, looking excited. Bobby sat up straighter, his stomach roiling even harder. Not now. Not when he and Lili were on the verge of being a real couple.

"This isn't quite what I was expecting to be saying when I stood up here. I'd been hoping, but I honestly didn't think I'd get this chance." He rubbed his palms together. "I want to couple up with this girl because she's beautiful and brilliant. She's passionate and driven and she likes to win, just like I do. I think she gets me, and it's rare to find a girl who does."

Lucas's gaze skimmed over the girls and stopped on Lili. Oh god. He was choosing her. Taking her away from him. His insides wrenched, as if he were the one who'd eaten an entire cake.

"So, the girl I want to couple up with is..." Lucas smiled so wide, you could see every perfect tooth in his head. Bobby caught Lili's eye and she gave him a sweet smile that could have meant anything but felt like a goodbye.

...

...

"Hope."

The silence was extraordinary. He didn't know there could be silence like that. His own heart was the only thing he heard, pounding like a steel drum.

"Well," Hope said, breaking the horrible quiet. "This is a twist." Her smile was oddly amused as she walked to Lucas. He grinned and she kissed him softly on the cheek.

Bobby stared down at his phone, willing it to chime. Please. Please.

Finally, the ding rang out.

It was like those movies, where there's a single gunshot in a clearing. And the only sounds that followed were the shot's echo and the panicked rise of birds, taking off to escape the danger.

It wasn't his phone.

Noah slowly stood. For once his emotions were on full display. From his bowed head to his arms hanging loosely at his sides. He stared at Hope and Lucas, sitting close together, both pointedly avoiding his gaze. "Well, I...I think I need to..." Hurt gathered like storm clouds in his eyes. "I..." He swallowed and shook his head. "Right, right. Okay. This is a bit of a shock. But maybe it's for the best. I um, I know what I want to do." He cleared his throat. "'I'd like to couple up with this girl because even though this wasn't how I was expecting it to go this evening, I'm excited to embrace this opportunity to give it a try with someone new. Someone amazing."

The swirling in Bobby's chest was replaced with a sudden dark windstorm. No.

"I've fancied her for a while now and I really can't believe I'm saying this, but the girl I want to couple up with is..." He took a slow breath.

"Lili."

There was the shot's echo.

Shocked murmurs rose around Bobby, but he was made of stone. So heavy, if he hadn't been sitting, his knees would have given, and he'd have sunk right into the ground.

Lili stared at Noah with wide shocked eyes. "What?"

No one seemed to know what to do. Priya began to clap politely, and soon everyone joined in. He forced his hands together as well.

Beside him, Gary gave his shoulder a squeeze, but Bobby couldn't see anything. Couldn't feel anything. He lost her. He fucking lost her. Could he get her back? Maybe... but would she want him back? She'd spoken to Noah in the morning. Did she know? Was she upset? Put on a smile. Put on a smile. Put on a smile.

Lili's heels clacked across the deck until she was standing in front of him. She blinked rapidly. "I—" she tilted her head. "I don't—"

He smiled broadly. "It's all right, lass." He took her hand and kissed it feeling his heart break over and over, like waves crashing on the shore. "Go on, be with your man."

She gave him a long look, bafflement in her eyes, before nodding and walking toward Noah. She sat beside him and stared at her lap. He took her hand. "How are you feeling?"

"I—" she shook her head, her mouth pinched tight. "I'm fine."

Twice in one night, Noah's feelings were on full display. Surprise and confusion, as tightly knit as Scottish wool, rested in the space where his brows drew together. "Just fine? I thought that..." He pressed his lips together and shook his head.

The waves of heartbreak pulled back and slammed into the shore as the winds picked up and lightning split the sky. There was no reason for Noah to be surprised that Lili was upset. No reason for him to believe that Lili would be happy with this.

Unless there was a reason.

Rahim's phone beeped. "Alright guys. It's my turn." He rose to his feet and eyed the remaining girls. Bobby didn't bother listening to what he said. The storm inside obliterated sound, the force of it leaving his ears ringing. This was precisely why he liked his relationships nice and light. No drama, no jealousy.

No loss.

Lottie stepped forward for Rahim, looking shocked, but shrugging it off. Gary shifted beside Bobby. He then stood and opened his lips as though words were coming out. They must have done, because Chelsea ran across the deck to take a seat beside him, looking excited.

Finally, dead last, his fucking phone vibrated in his hand and sound returned. Marisol was the only girl left standing. Her cheeks were rosy with embarrassment and for once, her confidence seemed to have abandoned her. The defeat leadening his heart was just as heavy in hers.

He jumped to his feet. "Right, I guess it's my go." He didn't bother thinking. Just slid on his clown mask and went all in for Marisol. Nothing could make him feel better, but he was gonna do his damndest for her. "I think it's fair to say that, like, some people have thrown this recoupling for a bit of a loop." He couldn't stop himself from looking over at Lili and Noah. She was kneading her hands together, and Noah put his on top of them to stop her.

That used to be his job.

He looked away and swallowed. There was a burning in his throat, the kind that usually came with a double shot of whisky. And close behind was a familiar bright numbness that spread through his chest. This was good. This was better. Focusing on his own shite had never done him any favours. Better to give his energy to someone who could use it.

"I guess there's not much I can do about that right now. But I'm really happy with how this has come out. I think everyone probably gets that this is going to be more of a friendship couple and less of a blazing romantic one," he smiled wider. "But I want you all to look at this girl right here and tell me that she's not flames emoji flames emoji one hundred emoji. I legit can't believe nobody has chosen her yet. You're all missing a trick." Marisol's smile bloomed as he spoke. "So we're gonna couple up as friends, but sooner or later this girl is going to wrap someone around her finger like spaghetti. This is me calling it. You haven't seen the best of her yet. The girl I want to couple up with is Marisol."

Marisol ran over and threw her arms around him. "Thanks, hun. That's..." she wiped away a tear from the corner of one of her eyes. "That's so sweet. You're such a good friend. And, like, I know it's only a friendship couple, and I'm still hoping to meet someone I get the spark with in here, but in the meantime, I'm so glad I've got a friend like you. You're the best."

One of the fissures in his heart mended itself. He gave her a tight squeeze. They might have been last, but at least they could be last together. "Pleasure's all mine, babe."

Everyone clapped for them, including Lili, her pageant smile flashing like a broken traffic light. Once they sat down, there were no more texts. Throats were cleared and a few people opened their mouths as if to speak, but changed their minds. Finally, Marisol sat forward. "So, basically nobody's with the person they thought they'd end up with."

Everyone nodded.

A nervous giggle filled the silence. "It's..." Priya shook her tawny hair back. "It's an absolute disaster!" She burst out laughing. A moment later, Noah's baritone chuckle joined her. Then Marisol. Hope clutched her sides as she whooped. Everyone followed. The uncertainty and absurdity of the situation expelled in a glorious state of hysteria. Bobby found himself laughing just as hard. His every fear had been realized and he couldn't do a damned thing about it.

So he laughed.

Lili held a hand over her mouth and laughed helplessly. When it started to slow, she caught his eye and it set them both off again.

"What's so funny?" Jakub demanded.

Noah shrugged. "Mate, like, if you're not getting it—"

"I don't think we can even explain it to you," Marisol said.

Jakub searched everyone's faces, still not quite understanding what was going on.

Hope held up a hand. "Okay, I think there are some conversations we need to have right now. Serious conversations." Everyone cracked up again. Including Hope. "Seriously," she said shrilly. "There are some things we need to talk about."

"Jakub, how come you picked Priya, when we've always been together?" Rahim's baritone voice boomed, reverberating like a clap of thunder. It was so unlike him, so abrupt, it startled everyone. The laughter trickled away.

"I knew someone would ask. Listen Rahim—"

"Call me Ibrahim, mate," he snapped. "We don't know each other."

The fire flickered, and the islanders shifted uncomfortably, but Jakub was unfazed. "Alright Ibrahim. I don't have to explain myself to you."

"I think you should explain, though, mate," Gary cut in. "Like, I think you owe us that much." Gary gave Rahim the side eye. "A few people owe us that."

Bobby ignored Jakub's response and the angry buzzing of the argument that came after. It hardly mattered. The deed was done. Every single couple had been broken up, whether they wanted it or not. After loads of squabbling, they split apart to talk with their old partners. He watched eagerly for Lili, but Lottie pulled her aside to chat.

Marisol leaned back in her seat. "She'll wait for you," she said. "I am excellent at reading body language, and it's clear that she cares about you quite a lot. Look at how she's standing." Under the potted tropical trees, Lili nodded at whatever Lottie said, her stance unusually wide and her arms bent backward, hands on the small of her back. "See? She's angry right now."

That was something, wasn't it? He traced the silhouette of her face with his gaze. Maybe things weren't quite over. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "What does her body language say with Noah?"

"Hard to tell. In the past, it's always suggested that she views him as a mate. It was clear he felt more than that by the way he leaned into her space..." Marisol trailed off and tilted her head. "She has always read as relaxed and friendly with him. Maybe a tad flirtatious, but she's like you in that regard. A bit cheeky with everyone."

Marisol had to be feeling better if she was back to psychoanalyzing everyone.

"J'accuse!" He wiggled his eyebrows and gave a wink, hoping to coax another smile out of her. Cheering Marisol up was a lovely diversion from the burning numbness in his chest, and the roiling unknown feelings lurking beneath it.

"My point is made." She bumped his shoulder with hers. "I'm off to bed." A tiny smile danced on the corner of her red lips. Victory.

He blew out a breath and rubbed his hands on his trousers, steadying himself for whatever came next. Before he could decide what that whatever was, Hope and Noah wandered closer to the fire, speaking in hushed tones.

"This—This wasn't how I expected tonight to go." Noah scrubbed his hand across the back of his neck.

Hope crossed her arms and assessed him. "It's basically how I expected it to go. With us anyhow."

His brows rose. "Did you know? That Lucas..."

"I knew it was a strong possibility. He talked to me about it this morning. Jakub told me he might choose me as well." She pulled a face. "I turned his offer down."

"And you didn't say anything?"

She laughed. "Noah, you were literally trying to choose between three of us. I have slightly more pride than to wait for you to pie me off for Lili or Priya." Her lip curled.

"I—I'm sorry for how everything happened."

"So am I."

"So are we..." Noah rubbed his neck again. "Are we actually decoupling?" He looked a bit lost, and reached for Hope's hand, but she stepped back.

"Breaking up," she said. "Yeah, we are, hun. I really wanted this to work. Maybe too much. I just don't think... I don't think we're good for each other." She squared her shoulders and lifted her chin. "I'm gonna give my pairing a go. You should too."

Noah looked over his shoulder at Lili and nodded. "Maybe I will."

Bobby's numbness dissipated, and the pins and needles of emotion rushed back. He had to talk to Lili. He didn't want to decouple. He didn't want any of this. He didn't want her touching and kissing Noah. Sleeping beside him, teasing him awake. He couldn't stand it.

Lili glanced over Lottie's shoulder at him as he approached. She nodded at Lottie and waved her off. Wrapping her arms around her middle, she walked his way. "Hey," she said.

"Hey." He found himself taking two steps toward her, wanting to touch her so badly. But he stopped short and found a grin to give. "Well, this is a right boorach."

"It really is." She took a step closer and his heart sped up. "We should probably talk."

A towering shadow suddenly loomed over them. "Do you think we could chat, Lili?" Noah asked.

She didn't look his way. "In a mo." Her voice was pure ice. Marisol was right. She was angry.

The big man blinked at her. "I—I'd really like to discuss things before bed."

Bed. It was remarkable how a single word could make him so nauseated.

Lili took a deep steadying breath, as if her patience were very, very thin. "Fine." She studied Bobby intently, the way she did when she was counting his freckles. "Let's talk tomorrow, yeah?" He nodded and she grabbed his hand and gave it a squeeze.

Noah steered her toward the kitchen, carefully avoiding eye contact with him. Not even an apology or acknowledgement.

Arsehole.

Gary ambled by and patted him heavily on the back. "I'm sorry, Bobbo."

"Me too," he said, feeling his voice crack as he continued watching Lili and Noah. "I uh—I'll be inside in a bit."

"Sure, mate." Gary sighed. "I guess Lozza's leaves were right. What a disaster." He walked off leaving him alone.

In the kitchen, Noah pulled Lili's hands into his and spoke earnestly. Bobby made his way as close as he could to hear, without being noticed.

"What were you thinking?" she hissed.

"Look I know this might have been unexpected, but—"

"You don't know anything!" She yanked her hands from his. "You ripped me from Bobby and likely ripped apart the last threads of my friendship with Hope. I thought we were mates, but clearly we're not!" Her ire should have warmed his heart, but there was something about it that sparked a tiny frisson of anxiety.

"I panicked! I planned to pick Hope, you know I did. But you can't deny that there's something between us. I can feel it."

"There is nothing between us. Nothing. I didn't want you. I wanted Bobby."

"Come on, you think Hope didn't tell me things? You told her that you and Bobby had self-destructed anyhow. So why not give this a chance?"

No. Hope was always slagging him off. Lili didn't say that.

Her lips pressed together. "That has nothing to do with this."

His heart pitched violently, as if the earth had cracked beneath him.

She didn't deny it.

Noah threw his arms out. "It has everything to do with it!"

With a frustrated growl, she slapped her hand on the counter. "You're impossible to argue with! You don't see any side but your own. You're like a fucking cyborg!" She turned and stomped toward the villa.

"I'm not a cyborg!" Noah chased after her and grabbed her hand, pulling her to a stop. "Listen, will you?" He took a breath. "What's the point of sticking around to see if things with Hope and Bobby work out? We've both been having our doubts, and honestly, I can do without the inevitable heartbreak. But with you... there's a vibe, innit. We get each other." He tugged her closer.

Rage, an emotion Bobby rarely allowed himself to feel, bubbled inside of him. Noah was supposed to be his pal. Instead, the slimy fucker snuck in and stole Lili the first chance he got and now he was trying to convince her to forget him.

"I care about Hope," Noah continued. "And I know you care about Bobby, but why are we both struggling to make things work with them, when it could be so effortless with you and me?" He stroked her cheek with the back of his knuckles. "I know you feel this too." He dropped his hand to Lili's jaw and leaned toward her, stopping so close he could have breathed for her. The air was charged with the promise of a kiss, but he didn't go further. He waited.

She wouldn't do it. Bobby knew she wouldn't. But... she hesitated.

And in that tiny interval between moments, his heavy heart sank. Sank right to the ground. Then through it. Until it was swallowed by the broiling lava at the earth's core, leaving nothing but an insignificant curl of smoke behind. He'd seen it hadn't he? The way those two sparked off each other when they fought. The way she got uncomfortable and brushed aside any notion of Noah being interested in her. It was always there.

After what felt like an eternity, but was nothing more than a second or two, Lili stepped back, unkissed. "No. I'm not going to let you climb into my head, telling me what I feel or don't feel." Her voice was jittery as she wrapped her arms around herself.

Noah reached for her again. "Let's—"

"OMG Lili, I have been looking everywhere for you!" Chelsea raced over. For once it was an interruption Bobby was grateful for. "We need a chat, like yesterday! So much happened! How are you feeling?"

Lili gave Chelsea her pageant smile. "Um, let's talk about that somewhere else."

"Oooh, yes! Let's grab some Prosecco and chat all night!"

"Perfect. I'll head up to the terrace. You get the bubbly." Ignoring Noah's pleading expression, she turned and headed for the villa on stiff legs. Chelsea all but skipped to the kitchen.

Noah's breath was shallow as he watched her go. "Shit," he whispered. He ran a hand through his hair and his gaze landed on Bobby. Their eyes locked. "Shit," he said again.

Bobby's anger boiled like sugar on too-high heat. There were a million things he wanted to say to Noah. About friendship and boundaries. About being a snaky arshole who had no business trying to kiss Lili. But the more he tried to think of where to start, the more his anger bubbled and hissed and burned. If he gave in to it, he'd be no better than his mother, throwing a strop like a jealous child. What would that gain anyone?

So he said nothing.

Instead he walked to the pool. Kicked off his shoes. Rolled up his trousers. Sat and plunged his legs into the cold water, hoping it would bring him down to a simmer.

On the other side of the pool, the Spanish mountains were nothing but inky shadows. They seemed so much smaller than Scottish ones. A sudden sharp pang of homesickness overtook the hurt and anger inside. If he were in Glasgow, it would be chilly out. Likely drizzling. And he'd be at the dancin'. Pished and on the pull. Playing the clown and taking a pretty girl home to stave off another lonely night.

No complications. No feelings. No Lili.

His heart constricted. He pushed the awful thought away until all his worry turned to nothing but white noise. After a long while, the heat abated, both inside of him and out. The cold wind skated over him and he shivered. Only then, did he head inside.

The lights were already off, and the choir of deep snores made a grating melody. He tried to search the room for Lili, but the moonless night gave him nothing, not a single bit of light.

As he settled beside Marisol, the white noise abandoned him. All the time he'd been hoping and dreaming and planning to ask Lili to be his girlfriend, they'd been on even rockier ground than he realized. She thought they had already self-destructed, and he was the only one who didn't fully know it.

Now that she was free, was she sleeping beside Noah, her chest pressed against his back, her knees folded behind his? Were they under the blankets, feeling those surges of light and electric pulses that made every touch feel like heaven?

No. The way she looked at him sometimes, he was sure he still mattered to her. They were still something. But maybe... maybe Noah now had the opening he needed to snip the last thread of what they had.

She'd hesitated.

He tossed and turned, the questions and worries piling one on top of the other until he was collapsing under the weight of them. Just when the birds began chirping cheery morning songs, he finally fell asleep and dreamt of nothing.

**

"Babe, wake up."

The whisper, so soft and lilting, echoed in the empty void of his dream. Curls of gold pushed against the edges of the black, and warmth rushed through him. He knew that glow. Lili.

"Bobby?" Something soft pressed against his lips. He'd lost her in the waking world, but in the void he pulled Lili closer. He could smell her sexy cookie perfume and could feel her hands stroking his cheek. It was so real. He buried his face in her neck, melting into her like milk chocolate wrapped in edible gold.

"Poor sweet la," she whispered. "I'll see you soon."

She sounded so real. Another kiss brushed his lips, and then she was pulling away from him. He couldn't hold onto her and he desperately needed to. His heart pounded painfully. He grasped her tight and forced one heavy eye open.

Lili stood over him, laughing. His arms were wrapped tight around her waist, and his sleep-deprived brain struggled to sort out why she was dressed and wearing sexy perfume when she should be in bed.

"Listen," she said. "We don't have much time. Don't tell anyone I told you this, but the girls are going off on a secret trip."

A trip. The word took a moment to register. "Is everyone gone?" He sat up and craned his neck around the room. "Whoa, you lot are like cats. I've got no idea how you did that without making any noise."

"It helps that you guys all sleep like sacks of potatoes."

"Hey." He gestured to his body. "Don't forget, potatoes are delicious." Her sweet grin lit up the void inside of him. "So uh, where are you going?"

"We don't know. We're just leaving, and it's meant to be secret." She didn't look thrilled about it.

Anxiety crept like vines, squeezing his ribs until he lost his breath. He didn't like the word leaving. "I hope you're not gone for too long." He swallowed. "I'll miss you."

"Bobby..." She gave a sad smile and it nearly broke him apart.

"I mean it. It's different when you're not around. I don't like it."

Leaning over, she kissed him deeply, coiling her arms around his neck. He pulled her onto his lap. It felt so good just to hold her. Her heartbeat danced against his and the cadence of their song was so beautiful.

He cupped her face with both hands and looked at her. She stared back, and god, her eyes. In them was everything he never knew he needed. All his life he'd been living with only half a soul, just stumbling around aimlessly searching for love and terrified of finding it. And here she was. The light in the darkness. The other half of him.

The word. So big. So bright. All capitals. It nearly blinded him. Demanding to be said. Everything in him rose up and screamed at him to say it. Say the word. Right now. SAY. IT.

"Lil..." He pushed a curl back from her forehead. He tried to speak. To say it, but the word caught in his throat, refusing to emerge.

She'd hesitated.

But she was here now. Kissing him. Holding him. Not Noah. Frustration pounded in his temples. "I—" He traced the bridge of her nose and pressed a finger to the tip.

He breathed out. He was going to say it.

...

"Boop."

Fucking boop.

Is what he said.

Warmth flooded his face and his body deflated, as if everything from his nerve endings to muscles to brain cells were exhausted with his cowardice. Jesus fucking Christ. Boop.

She nuzzled her nose against his. "Boop," she said softly.

They looked at each other for a long moment. Suddenly the silly word that meant nothing felt like it meant... something.

He didn't know what, though. And like always, his eejit mouth took over when his brain couldn't sort things. "The boopiest of boops. I like saying that...boopiest."

Oh my god, just shut up. Unable to stand himself for another moment, he kissed her chest, right at the fading bruise he'd put there. He wanted to mark her again. To suck at that tender yellowing spot until it returned to a deep dark purple. So he could tell the world what he couldn't seem to say out loud.

That he was hers and she was his.

But she wasn't, was she? They'd self-destructed.

This didn't feel like destruction.

The boys in the other beds stirred. "I have to go," she whispered, climbing off his lap as if it pained her to do so. "See you soon, okay?"

"Wait!" He grabbed her hand. "Before you go, I need to ask you something." He stroked her knuckles as his mind bounced all over the place. "Are we still... Are we okay? Do you still want to..." Dammit, he couldn't get the right words out.

A sigh escaped her, and the vines tightened around him. "I don't know. I want us to be okay, but I... I'm sorry that I've been avoiding talking about it. Maybe we should—"

Priya poked her head in the room. "Jeep's here," she whispered. "Come on!"

She nodded at Priya and kissed his cheek. It wasn't enough. He was desperate. Needy. Afraid. He turned his head and kissed her proper, digging his hands into her hair. Willing her to stay.

She melted against him, and then broke away with an apologetic smile. "We'll talk when I get back." She slipped away on lithe feet, pausing to give him a wave.

Then she was gone.

The air thickened and the light shifted. Everything was different right then. Despite all the people still in the room, the villa was empty without her.

He was empty without her.

Blindly, he stumbled out of bed and raced outside, his feet wanting to be wherever she was.

The climbing sun was shockingly bright. He put up a hand, shielding his eyes, as Lili slid into the back of one of the waiting jeeps. She looked back at him and smiled, eclipsing the sun in the radiance of her light.

"Wait!" He rushed to the vehicle and opened the door. He had no idea what he'd say or do, but he was going to do something. "Lil, I—"

"Hey!" Lottie shoved him aside and rammed herself into the Jeep, forcing Lili to the other side. "No boys allowed!"

Chelsea rushed past him too and threw herself across the girls' laps. There was some playful snarling from Lottie and giggling from Lili as Chelsea wrapped her arms around Lili's neck and chanted, "GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS!"

Shaking her head, Lottie slammed the door shut and gave him a friendly wave. He waved back, helplessly.

As the tires started rolling, the infuriating ever-present knot in his throat finally loosened.

"I love you," he whispered as the jeep sped away, kicking up gravel and dust as it disappeared down the road.

***

Mwhahahahaaaaa!  You never truly appreciate FuseBox until you have to sort out all the branching relationships that change when you shift even one choice at a recoupling. It took me days to figure out how things are gonna go in the future. Worth it for the looks on your faces! I mean the way I imagine them looking.  

In 2-3 weeks (hopefully), we'll be at at CA. Well the girls will. The guys will be... a mess. 

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

4.6K 133 11
Butterflies in the stomach is what happens when you have a nervous feeling in your stomach. And coming into Love Island, this is what I wanted, I wa...
15.3K 302 28
Love, lust, heartbreak, friendships, and most certainly drama. Can eight weeks in a villa really change everything? - Fictional season of Love Islan...
16.6K 272 46
Going on a reality TV show wasn't how Josie expected to spend her summer - she wasn't looking for fame, and certainly didn't expect to find love. But...
25.6K 744 103
Bobby and Jessa both find themselves trapped together on the Love Island reality tv show. It's instantly clear they have a burning hot chemistry that...