The Black Dane : The Fools War

By Skipology

[ Book 1 of my "The Last Kingdom" Fanfiction series] Khaana was a rare find and a wild prized gifted to Earl... More

C A S T
SOUNDTRACK
Sleeping Hounds
The Saxon Child
Uhtred son of Uhtred
A Wasp and a Promise
The Runts
The Humane Monsters
A Fight, Not His Last
Silver Bonds
The Littlest Dane
The Forwarding of Time
Hel Fire
Shifting Through Ruin
A Plague of Lies
The Creature Caught
The Scent of a Trap
The Taking
The Den of the Lion
No Saints Among Them
The Fork In Destiny
No Prey
Arselings and Urswines
Alfred
Idiocy
A Test of Flames
Restless Wessex
The Unforeseen
Crowned King of Wessex
Negotiations
Trying Times
Minds Eye
Decisions
So Vows Uncertainty
To Build Understanding
Even Match
Unholy
Brewing Machinations
Watchers
Forsworn
Something Borrowed
Well Wishes to Ill Beginnings
Conceived Bonds
Something Soured
Makings of a Spy
Fyrstburรฐarsonr

A Slow Turn

522 26 2
By Skipology

Khaana sat in her cell her back tot he wall and her eyes closed as she rested. she could hear familiar heavy footsteps and peeked one eye open. "You've not eaten your breakfast, which the nuns sent?" Leofric questioned. Khaana closed her eyes and hummed "you will take it to Osbert and Brida." She said.

"The girl will not eat until her release," Leofric said, Khaana chuckled, I raised her to be like the wolf warriors of Odin." Khaana thought to herself smirked, giving a wolfish grin. Leofric shuddered remembering the the hound he used to know her as. "tell her it is I who sent it, and she will." Khaana said, Leofric gave a bow of his head and went to leave.

Khaana frowned, no of course Brida would not trust his words, she sighed, she had used far to much energy to speak with them from here. Getting up she went to the bars of the cell, "Ursw-" She caught herself before she could finish and laughed inwardly "Soldier! wait!" she called. Leofric lumbered back to her, and looked down at her through the bars.

"take me to their cell, I would join them now, I have....sat at peace enough and must return to my task of guiding them." Khaana said. It was remarkable how innocent she could make her eyes look, and the man seemed to bind quickly to the guise. "Lady." he said with a another bow of his head, Leofric went to gather the keys to the cell while Khaana gathered her fur throws and the morning basket of food.

On the upper level of the prison, as Khaana would walk by Prisoners would go to the bars of their cells and watch her, they looked on at her as if she would glow at any moment. "word travels fast about this place it seems." Khaana thought to herself. "stop it Brida! let it be it is to early and I am trying to sleep!" She could year Uhtred shout. "I will not let you sleep! you will not rest until we are out of here!" Brida's voice came after.

Khaana smiled faintly, and quickened her walking speed to catch up closer with Leofric who now stood before the cell, silently opening it's door. "what are you doing? has Alfred sent for us?" Uhtred asked quickly sitting up on his floor mat. "no, Arsling, he has more important matters to see to as of yet." Leofric said, then stepping to the side he took a short glance towards Khaana "lady." he said allowing her to walk past him and into the cell.  Brida hopped up to her feet faster than a hare and rushed Khaana, leaning her forehead to the side of Khaana's head. Uhtred came after, leaning his forehead against her own.

with a amused glint in her eye, Khaana chuckled silently, "Did I not say not to worry? surely you know me well by now." she said. Brida sniffled, "if you do something like that again I'm going to get you back for it!" Brida  warned. "I'm terrified." Khaana laughed. "you should be, Brida has been on a war path all through the night." Uhtred laughed, blinking away the water from his eyes.  The trio had long stopped paying attention to Leofric who locked up and wandered away.

Khaana wrapped the fur throw around Brida's shoulders as the skin of her face was colder than that of Uhtred's. "here, and I've brought the basket the nuns sent me." Khaana said handing the basket over to Uhtred. "something, tells me is it better than what was offered to you." she added.

Brida shook her head "I'm not eating that, I said I won't eat until we are set free." She said. Khaana's eyes thinned into a glare "don't be a fool, it was given to me and I give it to you, so - it comes from my hands not theirs." Khaana said, reaching out she swiped up an apple and held it out to Brida. "take it and eat, or I will force feed you like the stubborn child you want to be." Khaana said. Brida hesitantly took the apple from Khaana and took a small bite, glancing over to Uhtred she could see him snickering.

"what?" Brida asked pointedly. Uhtred grinned "you got in trouble." He said, unable to hold back a laugh "its usually me, it is a nice change." he added. Brida spat out chunks of apple towards Uhtred "shut up!" she said, but it only caused him to laugh more. Khaana sighed in a bit of relief and went to sit on the floor, easing her body down slowly, she watched the two playfully fight and bicker. If they were going to endure this, they would need each other. Khaana could not let them be at odds.

After a while, Uhtred and Brida had calmed and went to sit at Khaana's side, each lay a head on her shoulder as their back rested against the cell wall. Brida's eyes had struggled to stay open, and she had finally lost the battle, sleeping peacefully. Uhtred quietly held up a tomato for Khaana, "you need it too." he said. Khaana lowered the fruit "I need focus, It took more than I should have risked to endure the flames, so much power was expended and I will not be regaining it I fear. It will be the last time I can do such a feet. I am sore and it lingers, the hunger gives me something else to focus on." Khaana said, Uhtred lifted his head and frown at her, "I am fine, Osbert. I know my limits." she said.

Uhtred rested his head on her shoulder once more, "I am sorry." he said. Khaana flicked his temple with her finger  "ow...what was that for?" He asked. "I have already told you have I not? I will see you through this, if you're going to sulk every time something trying comes, you won't make it." said Khaana. "Survival first starts in the head, all else follows, know you can survive and you will. I don't doubt myself," Khaana said looking down at Uhtred from the corner of her eye "neither should you," she said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the bleak misty forest somewhere between Aesces and readingum, Guthrum and his men sat worn and battered in their encampment. The sound of many horses, slight startled the Earl as he looked up, who he saw riding through the trees on a great draft horse, was little more comforting. Ubba rode in with a long scowl upon his face, "Guthrum, you wen to battle without me." He called. Guthrum was quick to get to his feet, "why was that?" Ubba asked.

Guthrum gave a light hearted smile, though the blood from the battle before was still dried to his cheek, "That was not our Intentions," He stated, Ubba climbed down from his horse, the scowl never leaving his face. Guthrum was the sort of man who could disarm a bear with the ease and laze of his attitude, but Ubba was a different sort of anger.

"is that so?" Ubba asked, Guthrum exhaled as it didn't seem to work as well as he'd hoped.  He was far to tired to fight with Ubba over something as simple as poor timing. More so seeing as Ubba had been in a heightened stage of rage since the news of the Slave Uhtred's betrayal of Ragnar the Elder, and what he viewed as the theft of his prized creature.

"Then why did it happen?" Ubba asked, Storri slunk to Ubba's side and looked between the two warlords. "let us talk inside." Guthrum said, turning ot head for his tent, He would rather his men not see him talked down to in the open eye. Ubba, however refused to move, his eyes narrowing "We will talk here." He said to Guthrum, who pause din his steps and exhaled.  nonetheless Guthrum turned and walked closer to Ubba that they might speak quieter. 

"They marched sooner than we expected." Guthrum said, refusing to look Ubba in the eye. He returned with his men, but he could not deny he felt lesser having to give the news directly to Ubba's face. "They positioned themselves well on the hill. It will not happen again." Gruthrum swore with a nod, finally meeting Ubba's eye.

Ubba held a face void of much emotion as he looked down at Guthrum, "No. it will not happen again," He said slowly, "because you have lost half your men." His words silently dripped with the cold rage that was void from his face.  Guthrum cringed inwardly, and the warriors around the two lords watched on with unease.  Tension thickened in the air, and even the trees seemed to be afraid to move as Guthrum and Ubba locked eye, a unseen scowl in Guthrum's eyes.

"We killed their King, Aethelred." Guthrum said, while not please with the outcome, and yes he'd lost many men, they had not died without purpose of some kind and he would not Have Ubba think otherwise. Storri cautiously looked to Ubba who squinted "you saw him fall?" Ubba asked.

"I saw him fall." Guthrum repeated firmly. "He took an axe, he is dead." He added, he looked to Ubba one last time. "we were not beaten." he said turning sharply on his heel to head for his tent, he need a strong ale and a shield maiden or two beneath him after dealing with Ubba so early in the morning.

"hmm" Ubba hummed causing Guthrum to pause, "you want to be King of Wessex, I will allow that. but where is my payment, my silver, my grain? It was promised but now it is gone." Ubba asked.

Guthrum turned to face Ubba pointing towards Wessex "it is still there." Guthrum said, voice slightly raised. Ubba seemed please with drawing a reaction from him "Danes do not lose." Ubba said carefully. Guthrum clamed himself and gave Ubba a flat unimpressed glance "I have not lost." he said, continuing on his way to his tent. 

"No, You have given them hope, Guthrum, that is worse." Ubba  said. Guthrum stopped again, his back to Ubba he refused to turn around, "Without their King, there is no hope." he said simply, finally leaving Ubba. Ubba looked about, wildly, before returning to mount his horse. He could not stay in camp lest his anger get the better of him. He would not let the Saxons hear of infighting among Danes, he would not appear to lack control. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"it has been hours, and no one has sent for you." Brida said to Uhtred from her place before Khaana, while Khaana fixed the braids in her hair.  "the clean up of war can be long." Uhtred tried to reason, Brida rolled her eyes but quieted as she noticed two nuns standing before the  cell, in their hands they held a towel and white robe.

Brida looked at them confused and then up to Khaana "they truly believe you are of their god?" She asked her. Khaana looked down at Brida uneasily, "I was" lingered a thought in the back of Khaana's mind,  composing herself Khaana placed on a smirk "this is good for us, they can be easily swayed now." Khaana said to her quietly. "why have you come?" Uhtred asked the nuns.

"Our Lady Aelswith has heard of our guest...she wishes she be washed properly if she can stand." one of the Nuns called. Khaana looked to them, "I will not, I will be treated as those whom I am bound are. If you wish me to go with you, Brida too must join me." She said. The nuns looked as if they were unsure of what to do, Brida snickered. "just go!" Brida called to them. The elder nun gave a small bow "we shall speak with our Lady and see what her word is." said the nun, and with those words they left.

Uhtred chuckled, "they will make you a saint soon I fear." He said. "and when they do the whole city will be cast a flame and struck with lightening" Khaana laughed herself. "its working well, if you gain their favor they will listen easier, why was this not the plan from the start?" Uhtred asked. Khaana side glanced, "because she can't enjoy this! its probably putting in danger her ever being able to return to Svartalfheim." Brida said, Uhtred chuckled "you believe Ubba? that she came from there?" Uhtred asked, "Ubba and Kjartan called her an elf, she is dark she must be." Brida said.

Uhtred shook his head, Ravn used to call her a vanir, so Vanaheim, make smore sense." Uhtred reasoned. They'd often spend days as children debating and trying to guess were Khaana had been cast out from. Both looked to Khaana waiting an explanation. "If I've never told Ravn, Old Ragnar, Ubba, or Young Ragnar, what makes you think I'd tell you?" Khaana mused, "because we are yours, you'll have to tell us one day, so when you make it back home, we can send you sacrifices and speak with you." Brida said with a smile. Uhtred fell silent and looked down at his hands, He'd never much liked the idea of Khaana returning home, wherever home was for her and now that were was part of what little he had left in the world, he felt that much more.

"well where were you before Ragnar found you, and the King had you captive?" Brida asked, Khaana frowned, "Not today, I'm far to tired." she murmured. Brida gave a nod and sat quietly while Khaana finished her braids.

Day  was slowly rolling  into night, and all was very quiet around Winchester, Eadgyth's duties were light as Aelswith was doing well of intercepting her away from Alfred, Aethelwold had been keeping her plenty busy with another kind of task. Priests and nobles came in and out of the castle visiting and tending to the wounded king. The sun was setting, when Young Odda came to the cell doors. Uhtred quickly got to his feet. 

"I am not here for you." Young Odd said quickly,  glancing over Uhtred as if looked over a mutt in the streets. "then go away," Brida called.  Young Odda ignored her, and turned his gaze to Khaana, "I am sent to fetch you, lord Aethelwold has heard of your claims and wishes to speak with you." Young Odda said. Khaana did not move from her spot on the floor and watched the young man with a flat gaze "I am not here for Aethelwold, My duty is to my company in this cell, England, and god." Khaana said, "my place is here." she added.

Young Odda rolled his eyes "I for one still think you are a fraud, but if you are true would a messenger of a merciful father and savior, refuse to give council with a man struggling with the coming death of his only surviving parent?" Young Odda reasoned. Khaana frowned, He was right, if her act was to last, she needed to go.

Quietly, Khaana got to her feet and walked to the door, "I will return soon." she told Brida and Uhtred. Brida scowled, "you will tell your lords, if they harm her again, we will watch them burn." she warned.

Inside of the Castle, Khaana followed behind Young Odda, her eyes scanning her surroundings, she wanted to remember every pathway this place had to offer.

Khaana found herself lead to a more private chamber than any other she had been in. "go on inside, I am to watch the door." Young Odda said, Khaana did as told, and closed the door behind her. Turning around, she looked down into pale eyes, and a sheepish grin. It was the young man from the tavern, Eadgyth's...hobby. He looked nervous as he wrung his hands. 

"I, am-"

"Aethelwold, yes. I know." Khaana said, stopping him from fumbling over his words. "you have sent for me why?" Khaana asked. Aethelwold licked his dry lips and cleared his throat, "I have questions and you are supposedly connected to God, so you must have answers." He said, trying to hold his head a little higher in an attempt to appear more noble and less feeble. Khaana raised a brow and looked him up and down, it was enough to cause the mask to fall, Aethelwold caved in and became what he was. "I just want to know how long..." He said quickly.

"It is not my say so, none of us know when we will be called home." Khaana stated. Aethelwold rolled his eyes a bit "fine, fine. then let me ask this, can you prolong it?" He asked. 

"you wish to draw out your fathers suffering? the King has taken an Axe to his chest, it has cut his lungs and his hear struggles. his body is broken and he holds on until matters are settled. you would draw this out?" Khaana asked. Aethelwold looked her in the eyes unflinching and exhaled. "is it to terrible that I should want more time for him? I am the heir, and I have done little to prove myself. I am neither ready to be king or give up the crown that should be mine." Aehtelwold said, he glanced about the room and took a few steps closer to Khaana "you have seen Alfred, my uncle. a precious few like the man, though it can be argued the same few tolerate me, It would be bad for your Pagan wards should he take lead." Aethelwold reasoned.

"As it is, your Dane brought victory to us, and where is he? hm? caged like misbehaved dog. When the streets should be cheering as now when spring comes, they don't need to fear. Alfred only thinks of Alfred." Aethelwold said speaking in quick desperation.

"Alfred cares for England and God, I have heard enough of him to know that much." Khaana stated slowly and at her words Aethelwold seemed to deflate. "however," Khaana added causing him to look up at her with hopeful eyes "Alfred is not the sort of man I would trust, A man who bends on his word, is little more than a snake." Khaana said.

"s-so, you'll do it?" Aethelwold asked, Khaana reached out a hand are carefully pushed him away from her as he had gotten awfully close. "no, I cannot prolong life, however, I can tell you how to brew a tea that will slow the bleeding and aid his lungs. " Khaana said, her eyes fell in some rolled parchments near a table within the small dim room. "I assume you write?" she asked. Aethelwold followed her gave, and clumsily rushed to the table, from a stand next to it he grabbed a quill and ink. "yes, yes of course." He stammered.

"You will want  an the herb, Yarrow, or gearwe, as you call it. You must add in this herb, as it will be the strongest agent to hinder the bleeding." Khaana informed, Aethelwold looked up "but aren't you supposed to used it as a paste onto wounds?" He asked, Khaana gave a nod "yes but do you want others to know of what you are trying to do? It will work, as a tea long enough for give you some time, It won't give you too long however." Khaana explained.

"what else then?" He asked her.

" Elfwort, Lemon Balm, Comfrey, Lavender, Honey, and Rosehips. You want to brew it in hot water, until soft, then crush what remains, drain the liquid form the paste, cool and serve it to him. you want the brew cold." Khaana stated. Aehtelwold nodded as he wrote everything down. 

He looked to Khaana "thank you," He said. Khaana turned to the door and opened it "don't thank  me." she said, her words almost bitter as she exited. Turning her head she looked to Young Odda "take me back." She said. Young Odda frown at her demanded, he hated to be ordered around by those without any know rank. "this way." he spat striding away from her with quick steps.

"If they have Defeat the Danes, which I will not believe, as they say,  why are they not feasting?" Brida asked Uhtred as he pried to peer out of the small window within their cell. 

"the priest does not lie, despite him being a priest." Uhtred said, Brida narrowed her eyes at the floor in the darkness, her arms folded across her chest, "Why are they do different? so miserable?" She asked. Uhtred took a look around the cell, feeling restless "God's wish." he said.

Brida shook her head, "I won't become a Saxon woman, I wont! I wont wash, work the fields, until I drop and cook!" She shouted, Uhtred rolled his eyes and turned to "It will not come to that." he said.

"That won't be my life!" Brida shouted back at him.

"Alfred can help us, we'll use him," Uhtred said glancing back to make sure no one was listening as a smile came to his face "first for shelter and then for wealth." He said.  In the dark he could not see the tears welling into Brida's eyes, Her pride had taken to many hits in such a short amount of time, and the loss of everything around her was starting to flood into her spirit.

"he has used you." she said, her voice smaller, "and now he owes me" Uhtred said near boastfully as he returned to the window in hopes to seeing something useful. Brida shook her head as let the tear slip from her eye, she just wanted to go home. and that thought made her feel more helpless, because they couldn't go home, until Young Ragnar returned, they had no place to belong.

The Cell door creaked as Khaana entered in, her eyes zeroed in in Brida and she grimaced "what did you do, boy." Khaana hissed getting to the floor, she held out her arms and Brida leaned into them, hiding her face in Khaana's shoulder with a near silent whimper. Khaana pet the back of Brida's head and hushed her.  Uhtred watch them, with a guilt gaze "I did not know she was so upset." He said.  Khaana exhaled and focused on comforting Brida.

"this place is poison..." Khaana thought to herself, "a slow one at that, and she is not meant to be here."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

310K 23.9K 74
War A word that should inflict fear and terror is seen as the new normal. Kharis is a slave in the castle of Leonidas of Bethillore, Supreme commande...
604K 9.7K 51
Just a few little imagines. Add a little bit of oneshots. May include a bit of Hvitserk, who knows. Maybe throw in some of Heahmund. I will be accep...
2.5K 195 43
Book 1 A Legend Of Blood And Love - An abandoned frail boy left to die in the forest of Jรธrrghimmyer was found by the Kรฆl prince Siftrethรถrn who carr...
25.1K 694 33
"Lord, I would never say this to a Saxon, but she needs you. She is of two worlds, if someone were to find out, she'd be dead...She needs you, lord."...