duplicate | elijah mikaelson

By -septemb3r

In which, Elena Gilbert has an identical twin sister, Keira, that she had no idea existed. Keira didn't have... More

synopsis.
epigraph.
cast.
prologue.
one.
two.
three.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
nine.
ten.
eleven.
twelve.

four.

6.6K 179 27
By -septemb3r

Elena decided that it would be best if I stayed with the Salvatore brothers for the time being. Annoying yes, but I understand. How exactly do you explain that you have a long lost twin sister running around to your friends?

So here I am, living in a mansion with two hot strangers, what exactly could go wrong?

"Come on answer your phone." I sigh.

"Keira, where the hell have you been?" Marcel yells down the phone.

"It's a long story, but basically I was kidnapped because these crazy-ass vampires thought I was someone else and I found out I had a twin sister."

"You were kidnapped?"

"More like vampnapped." I chuckle.

"This isn't the time for jokes, Keira. Where are you? I'm coming to get you. And may God help whoever laid a finger on you!" he roars.

"Calm down, dad." I laugh, "I'm fine now. I'm living with my sister's boyfriend and his brother for the time being. I want to stay here and get to know her, you know?"

"Wait, hold on a second, twin sister?"

"Yeah, they also kidnapped her. Something about her being the key to break the curse."

"What do you mean curse?" he asks.

"The sun and the moon curse or something. I don't know it was all very sacrifice the virgin." I laugh. Marcel goes quiet for a moment. "Marcel? Are you still there?"

"Keira, you need to listen to me. I need you to come back home."

"Why? What's wrong?"

"Do you trust me?"

"With my life."

"Then come-"

Damon appears in the doorway to the guest bedroom, "Did you find everything you need?"

"Hold on a second." I say to Marcel before turning towards Damon, "Could you show me where I could get a towel? I really need a shower." I ask.

"Follow me." He says before turning to leave.

"Marcel I've got to go. I've had these clothes on for almost 2 days and I stink.

"Keira wait!"

"Love you, bye!" I hang up.

*********

The next morning.

Damon and Stefan told me to come downstairs and there was a knock at the door. Damon rushes to open it, "Hello Elena."

"Is Stefan here?" She sighs. "He called said it was important."

"Right this way," Damon smirks.

Elena steps inside and is greeted with Stefan and me.

"Hey," Stefan says sheepishly.

"What is this about?" She asks.

"Oh, just wait for it." I roll my eyes.

Stefan and I step out of the way, so Elena was face to face with our kidnapper, "You." She says shocked.

"Her." My eyes rolling again.

**********

We made our way to the living area of the boarding house, I sit down next to Elena on the sofa feeling the heat from the fireplace on my face, "There better be a good explanation for this." I say. Elena turns towards Stefan with her arms crossed over her chest, "I'm with her on this one."

"Just listen." Stefan sighs.

"Okay." Rose begins, "I only know what I've picked up over the years and I don't know what's true and what's not true. It's the problem with all this vampire crap but Klaus, I know he's real."

"Who is he?" Elena asks.

"He's one of the originals, he's a legend," Damon says.

"The originals, where have I heard that before?" I think to myself.

"From the first generation of vampires," Stefan adds.

"Like Elijah?" I ask.

"No." Rose answers shaking her head. "Elijah was the Easter bunny compared to Klaus. He's a foot soldier. Klaus is the real deal."

"Klaus is known to be the oldest," Stefan says.

"Okay, so you're saying that the oldest vampire in the history of time is coming after me?" Elena asks in disbelief.

"Yes."

"No."

"What they're saying is, I mean if what she's saying is true..." Damon interrupts walking towards rose.

"Which it is." Rose rolls her eyes.

"And you're not saying it so I don't kill you," Damon smirks towards Rose.

"Which I'm not." Rose places her hands on her hips.

"Then we're looking at a solid... maybe." Damon finishes.

"What about me? What have I got to do with this?" I ask looking between the 3 vampires standing in front of me.

"Honestly, you were only picked up because we thought you were Katerina Petrova. The original doppelganger."

"By picked up you mean when you vamp napped me." I snap as I stand up and rush towards Rose close enough that our noses almost touch. I don't know where this confidence came from, but I just know I'm pissed.

"Easy there, tiger," Damon says placing his arm between us and gesturing for me to step back. I roll my eyes and take two steps back, but keep my eyes locked on Rose. "How exactly did you get me confused with someone else?"

Rose pulls her eyebrows together and looks at Stefan and Damon, who looks sheepish, "None of you explained it to her?"

"How exactly do you explain that?" Elena shrugs.

"She's a vampire for crying out loud. It's not going to be that hard for her to wrap her head around." Rose rolls her eyes.

"What the hell is going on?" I exclaim.

Rose looks at me, "You and Elena are the doppelgangers. Which is extraordinary because legend has it there can only be one alive at a time, but here you are...identical twins."

I shake my head, "So let me get this straight, by doppelganger you mean..."

"You are a carbon copy of someone else."

"Not very original" Damon smirks.

I hold my hand up towards Damon to shut him up while keeping my eyes locked on Rose, "So Katherine?"

"You look exactly like her."

"Jesus Christ." I say rubbing my temple trying to wrap my head around everything, "Does that mean this big bad original vampire will be after me too?"

"Not quite." Rose starts, "The doppelganger must be alive, which you are not."

I let out a sigh of relief, "Thank god." Then I quickly realise what this all means. I turn to Elena, "No offence."

"None taking," she says crossing her legs.

"Look, Elijah's dead, right?" Stefan says making his way over next to Elena on the sofa, "So no one else even knows that you exist." Stefan says.

"Not that you know of."

Damon rolls his eyes, "That's not helping."

Stefan turns towards Damon, Rose and I, "Look, I've never even met anyone who's laid eyes on him. I mean, we're talking centuries of truth mixed with fiction." He then turns around to reassure Elena, "We don't know if he's real. For all, we know he could just be some sort of stupid bedtime story."

"He's real and he doesn't give up. If he wants something, he gets it. If you're not afraid of Klaus, then you're an idiot." Rose explains.

"Alright, we're shaking. You made your point." Damon says exasperated.

Elena places her bag over her shoulder and stands up and heads towards the door, "Where are you going?" Stefan asks.

She turns around, "school. I'm late."

"You just found out the oldest vampire in the world wants to kill you and you're worried about being late for high school?" I look towards Elena with a look of 'are you insane' spread across my face, "We know who got the crazy jeans in this sibling pool."

Elena glares at me for a moment causing Damon to let out a small snicker, she turns her head towards Stefan, "It's okay. I know where it is." She says before leaving the boarding house.

Damon looks towards Rose and me, "She's in denial."

"Shut up Damon," Stefan says.

**********

Around 20 minutes later I was alone in the guest bedroom trying to find something to do to keep me entertained for the day. Elena has gone to school, and I'm left behind to fend for myself. Great. My phone starts to vibrate in my pocket and the name 'Elena' flashes across the screen.

"Elena? What's wrong?" I answer the phone.

"I need you to come meet me, but don't tell Stefan or Damon." She says.

"What? Why?"

"I'll explain when I see you."

"Elena I don't live here. How am I supposed to know where to go?" I ask.

"Ugh, you're right. Um, okay, meet me outside the boarding house. Follow the road down and you'll find me."

"Okay."

"See you in ten." She says before hanging up.

*********

I got to the end of the road and found Elena and A blonde girl standing waiting for me.

"Whats the big secret?"

"Keira, this is Caroline. Caroline, Keira."

The blonde girl looks me up and down, sizing me up as though she can't believe it, so I return the favour and do it right back, and that's when I realise, "You sure do have a lot of vampires around you for a human, Elena."

"Are you positive she's not Katherine? I mean, come on Elena, She dresses like Katherine, sounds like her too, and her hair is exactly the same." Caroline says turning towards Elena flapping her arms around causing my eyes to roll into the back of my head as I let out a huff and pop out my hip.

"Are you done?" I ask clearly annoyed.

Caroline snaps her head towards me, "If you hear hooves think horses not zebras, Elena."

"Caroline calm down. Katherine is still in the tomb. And honestly finding out I have a twin sister is not the weirdest thing to happen to me this year."

Caroline looks me up and down again and lets out a sigh, "I'm sorry. You must think I'm an emotional mess, but Katherine and I have our issues."

"I don't think you're an emotional mess." I say making Caroline smile, "A little crazy, sure." I chuckle.

"We don't have a lot of time lets go," Elena says turning around.

"Where exactly are we going?" I ask.

"You'll see."

**********

The three of us started to trudge through the woods, the smell of damp moss, rain, wet bark, and the needles on the ground filled my nostrils. I've never been the type of girl who loved the outdoors. In fact, if you tried to take me camping I would probably do nothing but complain, not because of my hair, or nails like most girls my age, but because of the cold air, the bugs, and the boredom. I would much rather be tucked up at home watching trashy tv on Netflix and sinking my teeth into something delicious.

I stop walking, and let out a huff, "No offence Elena, but what the hell are we doing here?"

She continued to walk ahead ignoring that I had come to a halt, "Katherine."

I run to catch up with her, "Excuse me?"

"She's locked in the tomb, which is convenient for me because I need answers and she has nowhere to go." She shrugs. Elena turns towards caroline, as she continues walking, "Tell everyone I wasn't feeling well and I went home instead of school" She says as she lugs a bag clearly out of breath. I place my hand on the bag and give her a knowing look, she hands it to me without protest.

"I can't believe I'm agreeing to this." Caroline sighs, "I'm a terrible liar."

"And keep Stefan busy, I don't want him to know what I'm up to."

"I'm even worse at duplicity and you know this," Caroline says as we stop at a wall made of what looks to be a centuries-old brick of a fallen building.

"You managed to keep me occupied when Katherine paid Stefan a visit," Elena says with a hint of anger.

"Yeah, because she threatened me!" Caroline exclaims.

"Oh for the love of God," I roll my eyes and vamp speed next to caroline gripping her by the throat, "And now we are too, got it?" I smirk. Caroline croaks for air as she tries to rip free from me but her attempts are pointless as I am stronger than she is.

"Keira!" Elena yells, but I ignore her, my eyes locked on the pretty blonde. I don't know what's come over me, but I feel this burning need to protect and help Elena no matter what the consequence. Maybe it's a twin thing? "Keira let her go, please!" Elena cries. I roll my eyes and drop Caroline to the ground.

"Was that really necessary?" Caroline croaks.

"It got my point across, so yeah, it was."

Caroline's gaze darts towards Elena, "Are you sure she's not Katherine?"

"I think she's still dealing with the heightened emotions. She's a newish vampire too, remember." Elena sighs.

"She is standing right here." I say with annoyance, "And besides I was mostly joking." I giggle with a smirk pulled across my lips.

Caroline rolls her eyes as though to say, "Whatever." She keeps her eyes on Elena, ignoring my presence, and honestly, I don't blame her, "Are you sure you want to do this?"

"Yes, I'm sure. She's the only one who knows the truth about Klaus. The only one who can tell me how to stop him."

"But you're asking for the truth from someone who's probably never giving it. Are you sure about this?"

"Okay, we don't have all day," I say trudging towards the door to the tomb and lifting it open in one quick move before vamp speeding out of sight. I'm not scared of the women Katherine could be, but seeing another face identical to mine? Yeah, that kind of creeped me out a little, and I just wanted to observe.

"Katherine," Elena calls out, no answer. She looks towards caroline, "I'll be okay from here," my sister reassures.

A shuffling noise can be heard along with what sounds like someone dragging their exhausted body across the floor, but none the less it was footsteps. I can't see but I assume Katherine comes into view because I hear a thud and then gasps from both teenage girls, "Hello Elena." A voice exactly like mine, if I had a bad throat infection says. "Have you come to watch me wither away?" No reply from my twin, "Goodbye Caroline." Katherine says with a hint of resentment.

"As long as I stay on this side of the door she can't hurt me," Elena reassures her best friend. Caroline gives her a look before turning to leave.

"Does Stefan know you're here?" Katherine asks with a taunting tone.

"I brought you some things."

"You came to bribe me?" Katherine scoffs, "What is it you want?"

Elena throws something soft towards Katherine, "I want you to tell me about Klaus."

I can hear Katherine's mouth turn up into a smirk as she lets out an amused puff of air through her nostrils, "Hmm, you've been busy."

"I also brought you this," Elena says, "It's your family history. It says in here that the family line ended with you. Obviously, that's not true."

Katherine scoffs, "You think that if you brought me some family keepsake then I'd open up?"

"I also brought you this," Elena says as she reaches into her bag, and I don't have to see to know what it is. I would know that smell from miles away, blood. I hear Katherine vamp rush to try and get to Elena which causes me to flinch, but she can't get to her because she is locked in the tomb. I let out a sigh of relief.

"Who's with you?" Katherine asks.

Elena ignores her question, "You don't look so good. How long before your body shuts down? 10, 20 years? It must be painful to desiccate and mummify. I can't even imagine." I hear a thud and assume it was Katherine sliding to the floor, the smell of the blood gets stronger. My urges coming into play, I dig my nails into the palm of my hands to try and control myself. Deep breathes.

"Who is with you?" Katherine asks more demanding this time. I'm bored of this entire situation and to be frank, I need to see her with my own two eyes. I slowly strut to Elena's side without a word. Katherine lets out a weak chuckle, "Ah, Keira."

**********

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

314K 8K 54
Rosalie Salvatore was the youngest Salvatore sibling, unfortunately she died due to burning at the stake in 1864. It's 2010 and the brothers look thr...
124K 2.6K 10
After an agreement between 2 out of 3 Gilbert siblings they have decided to keep Andrea out of the loop with anything that isn't supposed to be.. rea...
937K 24.4K 37
"𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐬𝐥𝐨𝐩𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐬, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐢 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐢𝐭." - in which the eldest gilbert becomes wrapped up in one of the mikaelson...
145K 5.7K 64
No one knows what happens when you die. It's a mystery that has always been. So when my time came, I accepted it with open arms. But as I entered my...