The Black Dane : The Fools War

By Skipology

[ Book 1 of my "The Last Kingdom" Fanfiction series] Khaana was a rare find and a wild prized gifted to Earl... More

C A S T
SOUNDTRACK
Sleeping Hounds
The Saxon Child
Uhtred son of Uhtred
A Wasp and a Promise
The Runts
The Humane Monsters
A Fight, Not His Last
Silver Bonds
The Littlest Dane
The Forwarding of Time
Hel Fire
Shifting Through Ruin
A Plague of Lies
The Creature Caught
The Scent of a Trap
The Taking
The Den of the Lion
No Saints Among Them
The Fork In Destiny
No Prey
Arselings and Urswines
Alfred
Idiocy
A Test of Flames
A Slow Turn
The Unforeseen
Crowned King of Wessex
Negotiations
Trying Times
Minds Eye
Decisions
So Vows Uncertainty
To Build Understanding
Even Match
Unholy
Brewing Machinations
Watchers
Forsworn
Something Borrowed
Well Wishes to Ill Beginnings
Conceived Bonds
Something Soured
Makings of a Spy
Fyrstburรฐarsonr

Restless Wessex

532 27 4
By Skipology

On Aesces Hill Aethelred, Alfred, Beocca, Odda the Elder, Odda the younger and Leofric looked down to a stunned Dane army below them. The priests chanted their prayers in Latin and Beocca prayed silently whilst Aethelred gave orders preparing for the attack. both the king and his men seemed highly confident as it seemed Uhtred had indeed spoken the truth, they knew they had the advantage. "oh my command!" the king shouted drawing his sword, "For God, for Wessex, for England!" he cried out, behind him a roar came form his men as they rushed forward into a charge.

they had become bleak, the streets messy with melted snow.  the cold nipped at the cheeks and noses of Brida and Uhtred as they swung from their cages and watched as the flames started to dwindle from around Khaana. The flames that once engulfed her entirely now only burned up to her middle and still she was without a burn, her body healed. The thunderous sound of marching men and hooves tore through the city, Young Odda ran ahead of them shouting "Clear the way! It is the King!"  he then fell back as Alfred and Odda the Elder rushed ahead of the soldiers carrying Athelred on a gurney behind them. "I have to speak, lord. the Axe cut deep, even a king could not survive it." Odda the Elder said said quickly, but Alfred red eyed and desperate was hardly listening, as they passed He got a view of the flames, and the woman within them.

Maybe he had been tired for the battle but he could have sworn he saw another tied to the stake at her back. Alfred shook his head and continued on " We shall pray and we shall see" Alfred said. Leofric paused in his steps behind them, his eyes going up to the woman in the fire, "by the father..." he murmured, watching as Khaana seemed to linger comfortably in the fire. 

She watched him with a blank gaze,  as he drew his eyes away and hurried behind the Odda's and  Alfred. Behind him stumbled a familiar face, the young man from the Tavern. He seemed dazed, as he watched the rushing men, behind him the King stretched out carried carefully long.

"that's the familiarity..." Khaana thought to herself, her mind foggy from pain which echoed loudly throughout her body. "they are kin, he shares the face of the King." She thought, her eyes wandered to Aethelred, she almost wished she could say she felt more pity for him, Almost. The anger she had for his people and bloodline ran too deep within her veins.

While the king was being seen too, Soldiers came to free Uhtred and Brida as well as cut Khaana down from her stake. The flames hissed with a plume of steam and smoke, Khaana's skin which was still raw beneath the illusion screamed with pain as the cool dirty water slapped against exposed muscle and blisters. the ropes are not what held her to the stake but her skin which had fused together at her wrist, the rope had long burned away.

"Lord have mercy on us, we did what we though was needed." Beocca prayed as he watched Leofric run a dagger along the fused skin, splitting it enough that Khaana could be pulled away from the stake. 

Khaana bit her lip to withhold a yelp, though water stung at her eyes. Leofric peered down at her, "you have not a burn, yet even still your skin is melted together were it touched..." he muttered. "I spoke truth and now you and all around have seen truth." She said. "you will ask we be forgiven?" Leofric asked her. Khaana gave him a flat glance and shook her head "that you must ask for yourself I cannot intercede in matters of ones own soul." she told him.

Khaana went to take a step forward, and her knees nearly gave way, Uhtred lowered and free'd from his cage, rushed to Khaana and took her up into his arms, breaking away from the Leofric as he went to bind Uhtred in ropes. "No! she is exhausted and I will carry her to the cell if that is where you take us!" Uhtred barked. Leofric looked to Beocca who gave a slight nod. "let him, it is the least we can do for our...misjudgment. I must go to see to the King and will return shortly." Beocca said quickly taking his leave.

"she cannot walk." Brida whispered to Uhtred as they followed behind Leofric, her hands were bound. "she is masking the wounds, Khaana is strong but to heal enough to survive and heal the flesh wounds would take too much energy." Uhtred murmured. "is this true?" Brida asked Khaana, said nothing, focusing on blocking the pain until she could get somewhere isolated.

"tell the Urswine I require a secluded holding." She thought to Uhtred.

"you there! Warrior! Khaana requires a Secluded place....to, to Meditate." Uhtred said, he knew it wasn't the most believable statement, but he hoped the fact that they'd all witnessed a woman survive being burned for nearly a full day would lessen suspicions. "I'm ordered to lock you up, now she can be locked with you or you will have to let her walk to her own cell." Leofric said halting before the cell they were to be placed in. 

Uhtred looked down at Khaana, "she cannot walk, are you to afraid to carry and face what you have done?" Uhtred reasoned. stepping closer to Leofric he scowled "Open your arms, you will carry her to a cell were she will have some privacy, it is the least you can do and not nearly as much as she deserves." Uhtred said.

"Uhtred no! she should be with us." Brida protested. "it is what she wants Brida..." Uhtred muttered back. Brida became quite and glared at Leofric as he hesitantly let Uhtred transfer Khaana into his arms. He was far too tired from the battle to carry anyone and Khaana was heavier than she had looked.

Leofric nodded to the guards nearby, "lock them up" he said, before heading further down into the jail. Down the stone steps it was colder in the lower dungeons of the keep. This place was usually reserved for those destined for a hanging or worse, beheading. but not many were down here at present, save one of two lost souls, and more over, the guards hardly checked on the lower levels, the cells were thick with closely placed bars a hand could barely slip through, escape wasn't possible. The thick walls and ceiling prevented sound from leaking through, as many who were kept down here often tried to make a great commotion to scare the public above. It was however colder down here, Leofric could see his breath  in white wisps as he walked, huffing in exhaustion, but he would take her to the very end of the line of cells.

Her body was still warm from the fires, he could feel it even through his armor and it was frightening. Of all the things he had seen as a warrior of Elderman Odda the Elder, and his service to the King, he'd never imagined he'd play a part in wetting a woman to blaze. No matter the reasons why. let alone a woman who welcomed and faced with without a plea or bat of an eye.

Kicking open the cell, Leofric laid Khaana down as carefully as he could onto a stone cot. she bit her lip to hold back the shout and curse from  hitting the stone less than gracefully.

Leofric back away and out of the cell, locking the door behind him, he lingered for a moment watching he lay there, "I will send some one to bring you clothes, water and food." he mumbled, eyes cast away from her finally. Khaana watched him silently, "the nuns will come and treat your burns...if there are any." He added, turning his back to the cell door he went to walk away briefly halting in his steps. "sorry." he uttered quietly, hurrying away.

Khaana lay there, she listened for his heavy footfalls to fade away up the steps and timed his pace to wait until he should be far away from the prison. She listened to see if any guards lingered in the dungeons and when she was sure all was quiet and she was left to herself, with a deep breath of air Khaana screamed.

It started out shrill, louder and higher pitched it grew until it was soundless. Khaana dropped her illusion to reveal skin burned raw red and pink, blisters covered her knees and thighs, chest and torso, her fingers more bone than flesh. her hair gone in large patches, nails gone. Tears slipped from the corners of her eyes and the salt from them stung her skin as they rolled out scorched cheeks.

Khaana tried to calm herself, so she could focus enough to try and rest so that she might heal more before the nuns came and she would need to cast her Illusion back up. but it wasn't working, too much of her energy was being expended on keeping the connection with Ragnar down. If she wanted to heal she would need to drop the barrier and risk him knowing.

Leading a fleet of five ships, Ragnar stood at the edge of his ship near the Prow, having just ran a dagger across his palm he gave an offering of blood to Rán.  Squeezing his palm he let his blood flow into the waters below.  looking at his hand, he noticed his skin reddening, but not from the blood. blisters formed, and while he felt no pain, he found himself startled, beneath his bracers and under his clothing he could feel more blistering.

Ragnar's heart raced, and while  he tried to pull up a connection with Khaana, his mind was only filled with a sound not unlike that of metal scratching together. Ragnar gave up on the connection, quickly wrapping his hand I jumped down to join the rowers "Row!" he called, seeing their leader working along with them drove his men to row all the harder after a while this hip picked up speed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hours passed, the light was dim in Uhtred and Brida's cell as the sun had moved away from the fall window. Beocca walked to the bar holding a basket covered in cloth and filled with food and flask. Brida and Uhtred rushed to the bars, Uhtred stepped again and let Brida reached through the pull free the cloth from the basket. She hungrily gather up bread and an apple. "I am sorry, Lord, this is the best I could do without Alfred's permission first. But I have brought food, ale and more importantly, some good news." Beocca announced quietly but hopefully. 

"Alfred is dead?" Brida questioned, Beocca gave her a sour glance, "You saw him pass threw the city you- no it is the opposite, he lives and he is victorious, we defeated the Danes." Beocca said. Uhtred took a sip from the canteen of ale while Brida food in hand rushed to her hay pillow and pick it up, smacking the ground with it as she yelled in frustration.

Uhtred listened to her vent, choose to remain quiet himself as she ate a piece of bread.

"why is t his good news?" He asked after some silence, his voice was stoned over, and Beocca could see Uhtred was beyond displeased. "Alfred acted upon your advice, you share in his glory." Beocca reasoned with a hint of a smile.  "Glory!" Brida raged, kicking her near empty pillow she whirled around to look at the priest, nearly snarling. "then why is he left in a cage to shit in a corner!" She near snarled.

"you call that Glory?" she asked.

Beocca looked between her and Uhtred who continued to eat silently.  "Can she not hold her tongue just for one moment?" Beocca asked. Brida clicked her tongue and her face scrunched into a scowl as she draw back her arm and tossed a bread loaf towards the bars, "No she can not!" she shouted, chucking an apple "and no she will not!" she howled.

Beocca raised his hands to shield himself from the pieces of bread and apple that were making it through the bars "you can take your food! I do not want it!" Brida shouted.  "I will not eat or drink until I am free!" she added.

"Only Alfred can order your release!" Beocca cried out, Brida started to calm but her anger still simmered in her core and made itself known in her eyes as she watched the priest. "I will speak with him. But you girl should take the time to contemplate your improvement." Beocca scolded her.

"I will use this time to curse you." Brida said speaking slowly as she seethed. "then do it." Beocca shot back. Had things not had gone so poorly, Uhtred might have laughed as the two squared off, both remarkably stubborn. Instead, Uhtred chomped at his food with angry bites, his eyes digging into Beocca, "Alfred refused my sword." he said drawing Beocca's attention. The fire in the young Dane's eyes caused Beocca to gulp, "I will not offer it again unless he begs." Uhtred added walking away from the bars. 

"my lord, sometimes I wonder if your Pig-headedness is not just simple stupidity." Beocca said shaking his head. " He will send for you when he has scraped the mud and blood from his mail." Beocca said.

Uhtred narrowed his eyes, and Brida rushed to the bars grasping them she stuck her face through as much as she could "we gave him victory and he locked us up like dogs and set our friend on fire! will will give thank to Odin for our deliverance!" Brida shouted at Beocca.

"your friend was burned because she claimed to be sent by the holy father, and by his blessing survived!" Beocca yelled back, to which Uhtred quietly smirked and with a scoff took a bite out of his apple. "Khaana has fool you and your stupid Saxons, it was Odin who saved her she is his child not that of your gods!" Brida shouted.

Beocca rolled his eyes and gather up his robes so that he night not trip before walking away. 

"We are Danes!" Brida shouted after him in the dark.

In retaliation one of the guard picked up the food Brida had thrown and tossed it at her, dodging she glared at him. "do it again, and I will cut you throat to prick" she said in a low hiss. the guard smirked and walked off father into the prisons. with a huff, Brida retreated to her now flat pillow and sat down. Uhtred sat on his sleeping mat, leaning his back to the wall whilst he tried to tear a piece of hard bread with his teeth. For the moment he was just happy Brida was not sending her rage at him.

but it didn't last long, Brida twisted a piece of hay in her hands, refusing to look at Uhtred, "you're a hero of Wessex, Congratulations." she said with a strained voice. "we're alive." Uhtred said picking an apple off the floor and rubbing it against his shirt. 

Khaana's eyes opened, she wasn't sure when she had passed out, awaking slowly her eyelids felt heavy, her illusion were down but her arm appeared healed. It was a relief, as her arm was currently in the grasp of a very nervous looking nun. the woman was dipping a rag in cool water, and washing clean the soot, dirt and dried blood from Khaana's skin. while another did the same to her legs. Khaana said nothing but found herself uncomfortable. she spotted a third nun lingering by the cell gate, in her arms folded nearly was a white tunic and a blanket of fur. At the nuns feet lay a basket of what looked like food. from it she could see a wife variety of things, apples, tomatoes, carrots, bread, cheese, grapes, dried pork and biscuits.

Khaana sat up, her body felt stiff, she hadn't felt so weak in quiet sometime, it was not a feeling she missed.

"You may leave me, but see to it that that basket there is given to the pagans held captive by the names of Uhtred and Brida." Khaana instructed. The nuns dropped their rags, and stood with their buckets of water, in a hurry they scurried away, the third nun timidly bringing Khaana her robe and blanket before following after her sisters.

Khaana saw the off from her stone cot and watched as a guard locked up behind them, only it wasn't who she expected. "you." Khaana stated, masking the inner bitterness she felt like looking up into Leofric's face. He said nothing and lingered for a moment. "why you, shouldn't you be with the elder Odda or behind the king?" Khaana questioned. Leofric looked down at his hands briefly. "I felt the need to atone..." He confessed quietly. "do you not believe the lord your god is merciful?" Khaana spoke in a flat tone, breaking her act for only a moment.

Leofric dared not answer and with a slight bow of his head took his leave, it seemed like his legs wouldn't carry him fast enough.  Leofric stopped in his tracks as he noticed the night guard heading down into the dungeons, it was a soldier by the name of Godstan who was known for being less than savory. Leofric lingered in the stair while Godstan headed down.

Khaana peeled what was left of her gown away from her skin and off of her body, picking up the clean tunic she went to put it on, her back to the bars when she heard a light chuckling from behind her. Khanna peered over her shoulder to see the new guard watched her with a lop sided grin as he let his eyes scan over nakedness. Before she could react, the guard yelped, his ear snatche dup between two tightly pinching fingers. "ey, Godstan, what do you figure the punishment would be for watching the holy messenger undress in the night?" Leofric asked him in a low growl.

"I- I don't, I was only..." Godstand stammered as Leofric gave his ear a tug "what do you suppose Lord Alfred would do to know you've risked gods displeasure further than the burning of one who he sent? to see more wickedness among us?" Leofric asked, pinching Godstan's ear harder, the guard squirmed. 

"I-"

"what to you suppose, I'm goign to do, if you don't turn tail and scurry up them steps and find some other post for the night?" Leofric asked, finally he left Godstan wrench away from him, the guard ran for the stairs "I-I'll fetch another to take night duty, sir Leofric..." He said before vanishing.

during the commotion Khaana had slipped on her tunic and sat herself on her cot. She watched the scene with an amused glint in her eyes, but still refused to thank the 'Urswine'.

Leofric gave her a timid nod, the brashness he had held faded away again as he became bashful and quickly wandered away, faintly she could hear him mutter "I shall watch the entrance until the replacement arrives."

Meanwhile, away from the prison's, many machinations were taking place in the castle. a husband and wife shared rare passions in the quiet chamber, Alfred and Aelswith were lost in an entanglement of bedding and throws of a battle won. It had been the first time she'd seen her husband bloodied and battered, her first time seeing him come from a true battle. He was not sickly or frail in that moment but a strong warrior and it made her weak.

Outside of their door, Eadgyth crept from the shadows, Beocca had tried to seek a word with Alfred but was quickly run off. She tiptoed to the door and lightly pressed her ear to it, the primal sounds within cause her to frown and back away, down the hall with narrowed eyes. Aelswith was getting quicker, she was sure she would reach his chambers and entice him because Aelswith could have.

In a huff, tears slightly welling into her eyes Eadgyth hurried down the hall, passing a small seating enclave she spotted Aethelwold sitting within it, his head hung low. She new he would likely be troubled with his fathers current condition but at present she was more concerned with her own problems and continued on her way, she wanted to get as far away from the castle as she could. A head of her, Young Odda approached, he gave her a slight bow of his head, and headed for Aethelwold.

"Aethelwold, were you not on the hill, I did not see you?" Young Odda asked, taking a seat near the sulking man. Aethelwold turned his eyes away from Young Odda gazing into a nearby candle, "I was kept safe with the priests" he murmured, clearing his throat. "there will be other battles, Many - even." Young Odda reassured, the look of embarrassment on Aethelwolds face was almost to much, even for one as sour as Young Odda, who though the same age, as Aethelwold has seen a battle or two before. After all his father was a well respected warrior, and he was taught to wield a sword young.

"and on and on it shall go, until we are all dead." Young Odda added. Aethelwold cast him a sideward glance, that had gotten dark far to quickly. "are you saying we should surrender?" Aethelwold asked quickly. "never...never," Young Odda mused, looking off into the distance, "but, I am not against compromise." He added. Turning his gaze to Aethelwold again, young Odda glanced about in case a priest or nun lingered near. 

"as much as I love my God, I am indeed in no hurry to see heaven soon." Odda confessed, " I feel no number of kneeling clergy men will change what a heathen's axe has already decreed." He added. "our prayers should be for the successor, whoever that should be." Young Odda said, Aethelwold froze, and his brows knitted together as she looked to Young Odda.

"The crown is mine, it is my birthright." Aethelwold spoke slowly to which young Odda shot him a sharp glance and looked down at his hands. "you disagree?" Aehtwold asked with pointed words. "They will argue that you are young, Lord and unready for what is to come." Young Odda advised. "I am my father heir!" Aethelwold replied, his gaze aggravated like a displeased child, it almost made Young Odda want to laugh.

"yes, you are your father's heir," Young Odda spoke turning to look at the now red faced Aethelwold, "but your father is bonded to his brother Alfred." Yound Odda reasoned.  Aethelwold blinked several time and drew in a breath of air "A-a son comes before a brother." said Aethelwold, speaking more to assure himself rather than Young Odda.

Young Odda rested a hand on Aethelwold's shoulder, the act of kindness shocked the young lord next to him who looked up slightly startled. "You then, should speak to the king directly." Young Odda said, he released Aethelwold's shoulder, "tis' my thinking, Lord, that if your father should name you his heir whilst on his death bed," Aethewold looked to young Odda slowly, his words ringing in his ears like a bell, "the Witan would find it difficult to go against said wishes." Young Odda said.

Aethelwold gave a feeble nod, as much as he wanted the crown, as much as he wanted to be king, he dared say in his heart, he did not want it off of the early death of his father, from a battle he was not granted a part in. "I believe your father would only be to happy to whisper in your ear, whether he was conscious or not." Young Odda suggested.  Aethelwold looked at Young Odda, but even he was wise enough not to give a reply to that suggestion lest unwelcomed ears be listening. 

"Thank you, your council shall not be forgotten, Young Odda." Aethelwold spoke carefully, to which Young Odda gave a quick nod "Thank you, my lord." she spoke quickly, hopping up from his seat he left even more quickly than he had arrived. Leaving Aethelwold to his thoughts and what little remained of his grief. He would lose his title and his place if he did not act quickly, but all the same, he wanted nothing more than to find a large jug of ale,  Eadgyth and a bed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.9K 654 19
Chaotic, Coldhearted, Evil. Raven black hair, ice blue eyes and a devilish stare that could freeze everything she had in sight. Njorun Noraide, Katte...
49.4K 1.3K 27
Shaylee had nothing more to lose when she sneaked into a boat and left her homeland Ireland for good. She had burned all the bridges behind her, and...
Beinlausi By Jennifer Choate

Historical Fiction

2.1K 56 16
His own blue eyes sought her out with a vengeance daily and without fail. For weeks now since she had been captured as a slave and sold into the Quee...
48.4K 1.1K 34
The day Uhtred murdered Skade, he had no idea she had a family. Someone who loved her. An older sister who adored her. Sigyn had heard rumours from s...