Off the Deep End

By walkerofthestars

A mission goes South and Robin is in the firing line from Batman- literally. In the face of Tony Zucco being... More

Welcome to this Mess
A Mistake
Fallout
Precipice
Rock Bottom
Adventure
A Final Shock
Trials and Tribulations
Mandatory Emotional Baggage
Bee's Nest
The Six Year Benchmark
Malina Island
Depths
Alice's Rabbit Hole
The Archimedean
Bridge
A Mountain Raid
Before the Dawn
The Fix
Complications
Meeting
Preparations
Summit
Endgame
Epilogue
Credit Roll

Crossing Wires

779 38 20
By walkerofthestars

By the time Dick emerged from the bathroom, having cleaned out the gross-ness of his mouth, Artemis had set the sub on auto-pilot. He guessed that she'd probably sent word to Manta that they would be on their way to his sub, whether she'd told him why was another story. She was pacing back and forth in front of the stretcher Kaldur was lying on.

Once he walked down the hall she looked up, eyes still angry. However, everything else in her body language clearly portrayed her worry over Kaldur.

Dick took a deep breath and stood by the foot of the stretcher. He crossed his arms.

"I guess I'll get through your questions one at a time," Dick said, Artemis glared, "I left because of teenage angst, but also because my family history is a shit show. I went to the league of assassins because my dad used to work for Ra's-"

"wait, that's real?" Artemis frowned, "I thought that must have been a cover story," Artemis was staring with narrowed and confused eyes.

Dick shook his head, "it's real. Alex is also really my sister."

Artemis stuck her tongue out in disgust, "I hate her."

"hey," Dick defended, "don't be so judgmental."

Artemis wrinkled her nose, "she's full of herself, I met her when I was a kid."

"okay, yeah, well," Dick shrugged, "you do have a point."

Artemis snorted. Dick almost felt hopeful.

"look..." Dick sighed and pinched the bride of his nose, "it's kind hard to condense a six year apology into a couple minutes-"

"then I'll shorten it," Artemis said, "I don't care about the assassin shit, okay, it's bad but I'll interrogate you about it later," she grunted, "are you coming back?"

"I..." Dick hesitated, "I don't know if I can, I didn't leave on the best of terms. I didn't lie to Kaldur about working with you guys, though. The league wants out of the light and... I want out of the league," Dick sighed, "but I don't think I can go back to the team as if nothing happened."

Artemis sighed, "that is so typical."

"what?"

Artemis rolled her eyes, "Dick, as annoyingly fun and sarcastic as you could be when you were a kid you were also still a fucking bat kid." she poked him in the chest, "people can forgive and move on, you dummy."

Dick blinked, "I'm a professional assassin, I think that goes a bit further than forgiving and moving on."

"what do you think I was doing before Oliver took me in?" she dead panned.

"it's a bit different."

"how so?"

"you didn't have a choice, your dad made you," Dick frowned, "I had every chance at not being a horrible person and I threw in the towel just because my poor life was hard."

Artemis sighed, seemingly giving up on fixing everything with one conversation.

"okay," she rubbed her eyes, "everything that happened to Wally wasn't your fault, I'm sorry for saying that."

Dick blinked, "but it kinda is my fault."

"don't make me slap you again."

Dick sighed, "okay, look, Kaldur is mentally comatose and we have to tell his father about that at some point, so..." he held out a hand, "truce? At least until Kaldur's okay?"

Artemis shook her head with a smile, "you are ridiculous sometimes, boy wonder," she shook his hand regardless, pretending not to notice Dick's wince at the name.

"please don't call me that."

"no promises."

Artemis seemed to realise something. She hit him again, this time a light playful punch to the shoulder.

"Jason's alive?"

Dick blinked, "oh," he smiled, "yeah."

"what the hell?"

"I don't know, Ra's did it without talking to anyone else," Dick said, "he told us the day after, Thalia was pissed. I volunteered to look after him."

"is he gonna go back to Batman?"

"I don't know." Dick frowned, "he's sorta merged with the family, and Batman kinda broke his trust by not saving him."

"it wasn't his fault," Artemis defended. Although she didn't know why, all considered Batman had to stop taking in kids without going to the right lengths to keep them from getting hurt.

Dick rose an eyebrow, "look, I've got my own issues with Bruce, let's not get into that."

"does that come under the terms of the truce?"

"sure," Dick smirked.

Slade really didn't know how Luthor had become so unfathomably full of himself over the years, he supposed it was a skill. Perhaps it was one of those rich white man things that he'd earned from his father without any effort.

But why was Luthor gunning for him to become an enforcer for the Light? Sure, he could do the job, with ease. but why would he? And why would Luthor want him?

He was walking down the hall from training, heading to his rooms, when he overheard Alex.

That was unsurprising. As much as Dick was the insomniac of the family, Alex was a close second.

What was surprising was what she was saying.

"you're father got through it."

Slade frowned, faltering as he passed her door. He stopped, staring at the door, the smallest gap allowing the sound to filter out.

"for what?"

Slade stepped back, leaning closer to the gap. He thought maybe he could hear the other voice on the line, just barely...

"you don't have to thank me, Dick." Alex said, "everything is the easiest thing for me to give you. I have it in spades, seeing as you've given me so much of it."

Slade blinked. She was comforting Dick? What had happened? Last he'd heard was some old friend from his hero days had died. He'd figured Dick would have taken a hit from that, the guy had a soft spot. Although it was usually well guarded. Slade figured Dick would be able to slug it through the mission till he could be home, then they could all make sure he didn't end up in a worse mental place than he already was.

However, it was starting to sound like there was a problem.

But also he shouldn't be spying outside Alex's room. He'd have to casually contact Dick himself some time...

And the door was swinging open and Alex was staring at him.

"uh," Slade tried, "there is an explanation-"

"can it, unnecessary, I knew you were there." Alex flicked her hand, "Luthor called you three days ago about becoming an enforcer, yeah?"

Slade frowned, "yes?"

"accept it."

Slade blinked, "no."

"accept it so you can go help Dick."

"he's a grown man, he knows what he's doing, he can handle this."

"and he's also going through a whole lot of internal panic and emotional turmoil, so go help."

Slade blinked, "you're sure?'

"I'm his sister, I'm sure."

Slade crossed his arms, "one condition."

"what's that?"

"got to bed."

Alex sighed, dramatically dropping her head back.

"going once."

Alex sulked, "fiiine."

"didn't hear you," Slade leaned in.

"I will go to bed if you go help Dick."

"deal," Slade shook hands with her, "pleasure doing business with you."

This was probably the most nerve wracking call Dick had ever made.

He considered, briefly, going back out into the cockpit and asking Artemis to do it. but he couldn't. he was supposed to be guarding Kaldur, this was on him.

So he configured the device to make sure the encryption was strong and stood in front of the screen, automatically falling into parade rest, as he waited for Black Manta to accept the call.

It didn't take long. He'd likely heard the reach ship had been attacked and was waiting for a call from Kaldur to debrief him. Dick felt momentary success for catching the flash of surprise in his eyes when Dick was on the other end of the call.

"Renegade," he acknowledged.

"Manta," Dick echoed the tone, "I'm sure you were made aware of the attack on the reach ship."

"in passing," he said, "I expect you intend to give me a full debrief."

"that will depend," Dick said, slowly, trying to figure out how best to word this, "would you like the bad or worst news first?"

Manta narrowed his eyes. He seemed to catch something in Dick's expression and immediately turned interrogatory, "has something happened to Kaldur'Ahm?"

Dick took a deep breath, "Miss Martian was present for the attack," he forced himself to hold Manta's gaze, "Kaldur rushed ahead in an attempt to aid his troops, he found her and she... attacked his mind."

"what?"

Dick swallowed, "he is..." he breathed out, "he's currently... he appears in some state of mental catatonia."

Manta was quiet. And then he was furious.

"we are on our way to your sub as we speak," Dick explained.

"good," manta said, his voice barely holding back the immense anger inside, "I will speak to you further on this once you arrive."

"yes sir," Dick said, and the screen turned black.

He was so dead.

Manta slammed the table, barehanded.

"How could you let this happen?"

Dick swallowed, took a deep breath.

"I underestimated the enemy," Dick explained. There was no point covering his ass, making excuses, belittling the issue. Manta wasn't going to take half-answers. That was something he liked about him when compared to the rest of the light. It was always straight to the point.

"I made it abundantly clear," Manta hissed, "that if anything were to happen to Kaldur'Ahm-"

"it would be on me, yes, I remember," Dick said, "and I will face the consequences for my slip in judgement."

Manta raised a brow. He stepped around his desk. The two stood face to face, Dick did not waver.

"My son is almost dead," Manta said, "because of you."

Dick didn't flinch.

"you will not defend yourself on this issue?" Manta was staring with narrowed eyes, mildly confused.

"I may be an assassin who makes his career in lying, but I am not a coward and I need not falsify my success in the name of erasing my failures," Dick's voice was smooth, he was forcing it that way. Manta could shoot him on the spot and he wouldn't be surprised, but Dick refused to be scared.

Manta looked him up and down, "Ra's Al Ghul trained you well," he said, stepping back, "I would appreciate if more of my men showed the backbone you have." He sat behind his desk, "this does not mean your mistake has been forgiven."

"of course not," Dick said, "but I intend to ensure it does not reoccur."

"I will hold you to that," Manta said.

Dick nodded, knowing a dismissal when he heard one.

He turned and strode out.

As he passed some troops in the hall he heard over the comms some slight chatter. He turned up the volume.

"-ship docking, undergo security checks."

"affirmative."

"breaches undetected, enforcer is present, none others as stipulated."

Enforcer? What?

Dick hurried over to the dock.

Was Sportsmaster here? Surely Manta wouldn't let him on his ship when Kaldur had killed his daughter. Luthor said the light was looking for a new enforcer, had they already picked one since Dick had turned it down? Had they-

He turned the corner and Slade was stepping out of his ship.

They made eye contact at the same time. Slade cut off the trooper midsentence and strode over. Dick couldn't quite believe his eyes.

"what are you do-" he was cut off midway as Slade wrapped him in a hug. He didn't fight it, instead accepting and reciprocating, not stopping the surprise from showing on his face when Slade pulled back, "what was that for?"

"anywhere we can talk privately?"

"uh- yeah, this way."

Dick lead him to a storage room without cameras or microphones. He closed the door and flicked the light, there were shelves along the sides of the four walls, the empty space on the floor only about five foot square and several handled brooms and mops stuffed in one corner.

"okay, what's wrong?"

Slade slipped his mask down, "I could ask you the same question."

"what?"

"Alex made me accept the role as enforcer to come help you," Slade said, "so what's wrong?"

Dick blinked, "she did what?"

Slade shrugged. The movement was so strange from him, far too relaxed for him. Dick almost gaped.

Dick sighed, crossed his arms, "okay, look, Kaldur's OOA."

"what?" Slade frowned.

"Miss Martian knocked him out, hard. Artemis knows everything, which is fine, but it makes her fridge-y towards me. We've got a truce but she's too emotional to truly let that work to its fullest."

"the heroes?"

"recued the captives, but now the reach has gone public and the hall of justice is," Dick shook his head and made a gesture with his hand, "gone. They're running for cover. I don't think Artemis has secure contact with them."

"okay," Slade said, "thanks for the professional debrief, I was asking about what's wrong with you specifically."

Dick rubbed at his face. The moment of closing his eyes made him realise just how tired they were. He really wished he could get some sleep.

He sighed, "look..."

"Dick," Slade said, "I'm not great at the fuzzy caring stuff, so make this easier on the both of us."

They stared at each other for a moment, waiting for one to crumble.

Slade sighed, "I told you before you came here that I thought it was a bad idea-"

"Slade, do not start this again."

"you should have stayed at Nanda Parbat," Slade said, "the mess with the court-"

"was just over two years ago," Dick said, almost through gritted teeth.

"and have you had a full night's sleep since?"

"because you have the lifestyle habits of a perfectly healthy person," Dick scoffed.

"Dick," Slade said, forcing him to pay attention with the strength in his voice, "you're great at what you do, amazing. But you're a good person," Slade sighed, "really you were made for the hero gig, and the fact that that's being dangled in front of you with your friends from the past? There's no way it's effecting you well."

Dick glared, but he lost the effort rather quickly, "what did Alex tell you?"

"nothing, I'm smart enough to figure it out myself," Slade said, "when this is over we're having a real conversation about this, but for now, I'm here to help," Slade said, "so, sure I'll be taking orders from Manta, but say the word and I'm getting us out of here and back to Nanda Parbat so Ra's can finish emancipating us from the light."

"it's not that easy."

"you think I came here without plans? Ra's wants you out of here, too," he explained, "at any moment you could get hurt, and none of us like that."

"I can handle myself."

"you turned down Luthor's offer to become an enforcer, the light doesn't take no for an answer," Slade said, "they've started digging up your history, the second they find out who you used to be your done for."

"how do you know?"

"because people have been snooping around Kabul asking questions and attempting to gain Ra's approval to enter the city."

"outsiders visiting Nanda Parbat? that's unlikely."

"yes, but the longer it takes the light to gain access the more likely they'll take drastic measures to get in, and then we're all screwed."

Dick sighed, pinched the bridge of his nose, "oh, god."

"yeah. So no more sense of duty sticking around till the mission's done, weigh the options. Do you really think the heroes have a chance at winning this?"

Dick stuttered, raising his eyebrows, "that's not an easily answered question."

"well, I'll give you some time to answer it," Slade said, "but if the answer is no then we're out of here, got it?"

Dick crossed his arms, "what are you, my father?"

"closest thing to it, unless you'd prefer Ra's?"

Dick sighed, "okay, whatever, fine," he pointed a finger in Slade's face, "but I'm not just going to leave Kaldur to his mental catatonia, I'm going to try and fix this."

"of course," Slade said, with a roll of his eyes, "I wouldn't put it past you to pile on more responsibility you are not accountable for."

Dick turned to the door, suppressing a groan, "you can pretend to be my therapist another time."

"or you could see a real one."

Dick pulled the door open and walked out, "coming?"

Artemis could only wonder how it had all gone so wrong. One small thing and suddenly everything was falling apart.

Although, Kaldur lying comatose wasn't particularly small.

She almost flinched at the sight of him, lying on the bed, his father standing above him like he was some truly kind parental figure and not a manipulative militaristic jack ass.

And a man in a hood at the corner of the room.

"This is Psimon," Manta introduced, and Psimon dropped his hood, "he is here to psychically repair the shattered mind of my son."

Artemis needed all of her acting skills, because now she was beginning to freak out, "he can do that?"

"Indeed, my dear, I'll dig right in and move about piecing his entire mental life back together. By the time I'm done I'll know Kaldur'Ahm better than he knows himself."

"perfect," Artemis said.

Yeah, perfect.

"Tigress, you'll be staying close by, on guard," Manta explained, "Renegade will join you shortly, I will take no shortcuts when it comes to my son's protection." He turned to Psimon, "when can you begin?"

"I need to focus. Set my own mental house in order before I enter his ruins."

Manta nodded and stepped away from the bed, as he passed Artemis he laid a hand on her shoulder.

"my son never spoke of his feelings, but his words could not hide how much he cared for you Tigress."

"I don't speak about my feelings either. Not with words."

"your actions define you, I respect that," he said, dropping his hand, "so you'll be glad to know I will take action against the Martian Witch that did this to our beloved Kaldur'Ahm."

Great, now I have to rescue Miss Martian, too.

Artemis didn't have to wait long for Dick to show up. He was in full gear, but even she caught the minute amount of surprise he let slip when he saw Psimon. Artemis hoped she conveyed all of her panic when he looked at her.

And it didn't help that they couldn't put their heads together to figure out what the hell to do.

"ah, Renegade," Psimon greeted, "what wonderful timing to witness very little." He turned to Kaldur, "alright, I'm ready, let's see what the weather's like in there."

Artemis was out of time. She snuck out a device from her belt and sent a dart at Psimon's neck. He slapped it as if it were an insect.

"the Martian really did a number on you, believe me I know how it feels, " he leant forward, speaking as if Kaldur could actually hear him, "but fear not we'll have you up and running in... no... time..."

Dick gave Artemis a look, she shrugged the tiniest bit.

"something's... wrong... my mind..." he frowned, stumbling as he tried to stand, "clouding over..."

Artemis was about to step forward and feign worry when her head started hurting, she stumbled back. Dick's hand hovered by his temple.

"you!"

Psimon sent Artemis hurtling at the wall. Dick stepped forward, drawing his sword, but Psimon wrenched it from his hand. He pounded Artemis against the wall, pushing Dick against the other with his sword against his neck, Dick grabbed the hilt in an attempt at keeping it away.

"you drugged me but why?!"

Artemis was hovering in the air, back arching as she held back screams.

"Psimon says, reveal your secret!"

Artemis let out a yelp as Psimon dug deep into her mind.

"Artemis," his eyes widened as his voice played through her mind. Out of the corner of her eyes she saw Dick slowly struggling against Psimon's mental attacks, reaching for something in his belt, "you're Artemis, and the drug..." he stumbled, "an invention of your father Sports Master, a single dose simulates Catatonia for weeks... but you miscalculated how quickly it.." he stumbled again. If Artemis could hold up just a bit longer... Dick had almost reached his belt... "takes..."

The door burst open, Black Manta on the threshold. Dick finally reached his belt and threw a knife, it landed square in Psimon's shoulder. His legs shuddered and he collapsed on the ground, Artemis and Dick fell with him, breathing heavily.

"what happened?!" Manta demanded, staring at Psimon's dull dead stare.

"I don't know, he just went... berserk," Artemis got out, trying to catch her breath.

Dick got himself to his feet, "is it possible Miss Martian left some kind of... telepathic virus in Kaldur's mind?"

"if she did then any telepath we might employ will only suffer the same fate."

"there's still one telepath who can help us," Artemis said, finally getting to her feet, "Miss Martian herself, it's our only recourse. Send me to the mainland, I'll bring back the Martian and we'll force her to cure Kaldur."

"yes," manta agreed, "yes, of course. But she is dangerous. Kaldur would never forgive me if I sent you to face her alone."

"I'll go with her," Dick offered, "we'll take a squad of troopers."

"no," manta said, "you'll take Death Stroke." He turned to the door, and there he was, Slade Wilson in the flesh.

"perfect," Artemis said.

Perfect.

They got to the ship without any troubles, once they were seated in the cockpit she turned to Death Stroke.

"we'll keep this simple, we can track zeta energy and find out where she is. We don't have time to waste if she's with anyone, so we leave them alive-"

"don't bother with the excuses, I know we're not going to kill any of your hero buddies," Slade said.

Artemis turned to Dick, "you told him?"

"I figured it out myself," Slade scowled, "it's real obvious."

"okay," Artemis sighed, "well, we get M'Gann and we get back, let's not make this any more intricate than it needs to be."

"you don't need to give me orders, Tigress," Slade said, and his eye roll was audible, "I've been in this game since before your heart started beating."

"thank you," Artemis smirked, "for the reminder of your huge ego."

Dick snickered.

"something wrong, ex-boy wonder?"

Dick gave her a face that she returned.

"if you guys are gonna spend this whole thing arguing, it's not gonna go so smooth," Dick reasoned with a shrug.

"you say that like you and Alex don't argue on missions," Slade said.

"we're siblings, it's charming," Dick defended, "you're a fifty year old man, it's just childish."

"I am not that old," Slade said.

"no," Dick smiled and leaned back in his chair, hands behind his head, "you're older."

Artemis had no idea what to do in this situation. It was like going to a friend's house and they disappear for something and you're stuck with their sibling and parent. Except, she had the added awkwardness of... well, she couldn't put a word to it but it didn't help that the two people in front of her were trained killers acting like they were from the brady bunch.

"yeah, well," Slade grumbled, "you and the rest of you are so ridiculous I'm pretty sure most of my grey hair-"

"was already there when I showed up?" Dick smirked, looking over, "you gonna blame it all on Thalia and Alex?"

"well your father was a pain in my ass, too, Junior," he grumbled.

Artemis sighed, leaned her head on one hand, "is it always like this at the league?"

"no, it's more spread out through the palace," Dick said, "although Thalia and Slade have a tendency to accidentally run into each other and create arguments."

"excuse me?" Slade blinked, "now wait-"

"we all remember last Christmas, Slade," Dick snickered.

Slade pointed a finger, "that was Thalia's fault, fair and square."

Yes, Artemis had no idea how to deal with these two.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 58 14
[Batfam and The Justice League and Female OC and Damian Wayne x OC] Carmen Tetch was stolen from her life at an age far too young. It was all Talia A...
378K 11.4K 69
Nightwing is great at looking strong. He's holding it together after the death of the second Robin, Jason, about to send one of his best friends unde...
228K 8.2K 38
The Batman, the dark knight of Gotham, a founding member of the Justice League...and after all this time they STILL don't even know his name! In thi...
28.5K 1.8K 13
» Book 2 In The R Series « All is unicorns and gumdrops after the battle with Joker and Deathstroke! Dick has given up the hacking life and in turn r...