Drive [Narry/Ziall]

By TaylorMaeHoran

When Niall Horan gets accepted into the first University of his choice, he's stoked - it's even better when h... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen [Part Two]
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty [Part One]
Chapter Twenty [Part Two]
Hunter's Knife.

Chapter Sixteen [Part One]

1.3K 81 39
By TaylorMaeHoran

A/N: You guys make me so unbelievably happy with all the comments and feedback on this story. When I came back I assumed everyone had given up on me and this story (believe me, I don't blame the people who did). I love hearing what you guys have to say in regards to everything. Rarely do I ask for feedback, but I have one question for you all - Team Harry, or Team Zayn? Your answers will not affect the outcome of this story, it's all set in stone for how it will play out, but I'm definitely curious as there appear to be mixed opinions about both of them. I love you guys - stay radical. x

"...Can I ask what exactly his deal is?"

The sun had long since set, and the fire was ablaze once more. Ed and Angela, who claimed they spent the entire day swimming in the nearby lake, had returned for a dinner of hotdogs, cooked over the fire, that they were in the midst of. Josh had also made an appearance, and much to Niall's hidden disappointment, said nothing about his afternoon with Harry. The blonde tried to tell himself that he could care less about what he was getting up to, but the whole blowout with Liam earlier had caught him off guard completely. Even if Liam had agreed to dinner, and was currently sitting opposite of Niall and Zayn at the firepit, he didn't seem to want to talk about what happened.

It had been Josh who had asked, much to Niall's surprise. He knew Josh and Louis were friends, so naturally he assumed that he was affiliated with Harry, as well. Evidently, he was wrong. The question had completely caught Niall's attention - he wanted to know, as well. The brunette seemed a lot more fragile than he originally thought. He felt horrible for thinking that maybe he brought this on himself.

Liam didn't seem too pleased about this question. He didn't even look at Josh as he continued chewing on his food, his eyes fixiated on the flickering flames. The hand that wasn't occupied by the hotdog was clutching onto the sleeve of his sweatshirt. He was shivering, but Niall would bet good money that he wasn't just cold. 

A tense, ungainly silence filled the air, but that was a given. Without Louis and Harry around, things were quiet for once. Josh, who had been there to bear witness to Harry's meltdown earlier, had allowed them to use the camper to cool down for awhile. Even though Harry had struggled quite the lot, trying to hit Louis and constantly telling him to go fuck himself, the older lad had eventually got him inside. It took about thirty minutes before they could hear Harry's hysterical ranting and sobbing die down, and Niall assumed he had worn himself out and fallen asleep. 

Louis had yet to emerge.

"He's fine," was Liam's answer when he finally spoke. All eyes around the firepit fell on him, waiting to hear more. Niall, pressed in close to Zayn, leaned forward just the slightest bit - his eager ears waiting. He didn't know why he wanted to hear so badly. He just wanted to know what in the hell Harry's problem was. "Most of the time, anyways. Usually easy-going and calm."

Niall could believe that. It was his immediate perception of Harry, after all - a lad who, although may have some underlying issues, was generally quite mellow. He had majorly underestimated Harry, evidently. 

"Fine?" Josh inquired, tilting his head. "He hit you."

The splotchy bruise on Liam's cheek was quite the shiner. Niall hadn't seen a bruise so vibrant in quite a few years - and that said a lot, seeing as he was an athlete. It was quite unsettling to see the mark on Liam's face when he had emerged from the camper, and it was even more unsettling knowing who exactly caused it. 

He was well aware that Harry Styles was no angel, but to have hit his boyfriend? Niall wouldn't have believed it had he not seen the bruise with his own two eyes.

Liam swallowed rather audibly, but there was no food in his mouth. "...Yeah, he did. He's a messed up kid, okay? He does things he shouldn't. We all do. But he...he can't help it. He's had shit happen to him and he - he just can't help it."

Zayn grumbled, his arm tightening around Niall's waist rather protectively. "Everyone has had shit happen to them but that in no way justifies his actions."

Niall knew his boyfriend was right. Sure, he didn't know Harry's story, but it seemed like all everyone was trying to do was justify the brunette's actions and shitty choices. He didn't know what was wrong with Harry, but it must be a pretty deep-rooted problem if he was acting like this.

Liam's eyes were frigid as he looked at Zayn with a look of utter discontempt on his face. "You have no right to say that. You don't know him at all."

Ed, who had remained silent up until this point, jumped into the conversation. "Yes, but do you know him? You're not in his mind, are you? You don't know his thoughts, do you?"

"That's not what I meant, you know," Liam growled, and Niall could feel himself getting increasingly more uncomfortable. The entire situation kept throwing him in entirely new directions. "I've been with him for years. Which is much longer than any of you have even known him. He isn't a bad guy - you guys are perceiving him all wrong."

Zayn was about to open his mouth again, probably to snap at Liam, so Niall jumped in before he could get a chance to. "That's because, as you said, we don't know him. Not like you do. We don't know how to perceive him."

Liam's previously tensed shoulders seemed to fall back into place as he took in a deep breath, leaning back in his seat. He seemed rather exasperated, which was understandable. He had a long day. All of them had.

"Harry just..." Liam sighed out, rubbing at his eyes with the back of his hand. Anyone could tell that he didn't want to talk about this. Niall almost felt sorry for him. "He's sick. Not like, actually ill - more like he just has a lot of mental issues. He's got a condition. A serious one. And he...he didn't have the best childhood. His parents...they weren't the best. Neglected to get him the help that he needed - among other things."

Next to him, Niall could feel Zayn's body lock up. He pressed in closer to his boyfriend's side, taking one of his hands and gently stroking the back of his hand with his thumb. Liam wasn't trying to strike a nerve, for there's no way he could know what triggers Zayn, but he was wandering in dangerous territory and the last thing Liam needed was a second bruise.

Liam carried on when it was evident no one else was going to speak up. "He's damaged. He has got these awful, awful dependency issues and a horrible fear of being alone. Which, you know, no one wants to be alone, but Harry would rather die than be by himself. We...after we broke up the very first time, when he had broken things off with me, he would call me drunk a lot. I was mad at him though, wouldn't take him back no matter how much he begged. Not a week later he ended up in intensive care - props to alcohol poisioning."

If Niall was uncomfortable before, he didn't know what to feel at this point. He knew that there was more to Harry than what he originally thought, but never in a million years would he expect what was coming out of Liam's mouth. That didn't mean he doubted it, though.

"Now...every single time we get into a fight or an argument or really anything, I'm too scared of what he would do if I didn't forgive him. He's unstable. Afraid of being left alone - really afraid. He threatens me - says he'll throw himself in front of a bloody car if I leave him."

"Stop talking shit, Payne."

Everyone's eyes left Liam, and turned to Louis in sync. The brunette was standing in front of the camper, his arms crossed over his chest securely. Niall had been so engrossed in what Liam was saying that he hadn't even noticed when Louis made his appearance. He didn't look happy, to say the least, and Niall had to wonder how long he had been listening. 

"You would be the same way if you had been through what Harry had," Louis insisted, not moving an inch from where he stood. He sounded like he was trying to convince himself more than he was trying to convince Liam.

"You act as if I don't know what he's been through," Liam murmured, his voice defensive. "I'm not talking shit. I'm telling them what he's actually like."

Louis rolled his eyes, but before he could, Zayn piped up. "Good thing he is, too. Harry isn't the bloody saint you make him out to be."

Niall bit his lip, and gave Zayn's hand a quick squeeze. He didn't want to agree verbally, but what his boyfriend was saying was true. Louis acted as if Harry could do no wrong, and Niall was rapidly growing tired of it. 

"Shut the fuck up for once, would you?" Louis damn near growled, and Niall could feel the grip on his hand tighten. He didn't have to look to know that Zayn was gritting his teeth. "What have either one of us ever done to you?"

Zayn spoke through his teeth. "Saint Harry has been trying to get into my boyfriend's pants."

Louis began advancing towards them, his stride confident and tough, and Niall bit into his tongue. If a fight were to break out, which he anticipated, he knew that his boyfriend would lay out Louis in two seconds flat. He wasn't a black belt for nothing - he knew how to defend himself and he would not hesitate to do so.

"Louis."

A voice from behind him made the brunette freeze in his tracks, and the tense silence was back in an instant. Niall craned his neck to see, and sure enough, Harry was standing on the camper steps. His teeth were clenched, ditto his fists, and his eyes were shining with pure malice and raw emotion.

"Let me. This is my fight."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 31.2K 30
Life in an university is full of ups and downs and twists and turns. But, even with so many ups and downs it's full of fun parties and precious memor...
3.7K 104 12
Niall Horan had a goal. His goal was to go to college. When Niall gets into college he is excited. But the college he's going to is in London, far a...
389K 4.4K 31
Zayn's popular, he has a lot of friends only a couple of best friends like Liam, girls want him and hit on him everyday. Niall- has few friends, incl...
702 73 18
🅾🅽🅴 🅳🅸🆁🅴🅲🆃🅸🅾🅽 🅾🅽🅴🆂🅷🅾🆃🆂 This will include Zouis Malikson (Zayn x Louis) Larry Stylinson (Harry x Louis) Lirry Stayne (Liam x Har...