Red Princess

Autorstwa OctoberBloom

Black Knight Book 2 Can love find its way back to the person who longs for it? Five years have passed since t... Więcej

Prologue: Fords' Greatest Treasure
41. A Cruel Twist
42. Turned Tables
43. Like a Mirror
44. Another Knight
45. More than an Imposter
46. Failed Intrusion
47. Hell Hath no Fury
48. Tough Love
49. On the brink of death
50. Under Influence
51. Of Royal Descent
52. You Failed
53. Friends?
Seydon's Birthday Special - If I had met you first
55. Breaking In
56. Father and Son
57. The Curse of Love
58. Encounter
59. Pretend Couple
Extra Chapter - From a Father to his Daughter
60. Once in a Lifetime
61. Assassin 101 - The Kissing Tactic
62. Forbidden Love
63. The Trolley Tragedy
64. Double-edged Swords
65. The Wrong Side
66. The Lie He Believes
67. Step over to my side
68. A Love beyond the Ordinary
69. Misplaced Trust
70. The woman we forgot
71. Act of True Love
72. Keep your enemies closer
Extra Chapter 72.1 - My Dear Sey
Extra Chapter 72.2 - To Kaidon
73. Labyrinth
74. To Foam
75. Hope
76. Love Hurts, Love Heals
77. A.K. Forever
78. For the Future that I'll Never See
79. Reunion
Extra chapter 79.1 - The Birthday Boy gets to be the Banker!
Extra Chapter 79.2 - Random Prompt Generator!
80. Shattered Illusion
81. Just the Two of Us

54. Festering Desire

589 47 60
Autorstwa OctoberBloom

Authors notes: I am SO sorry for the delay in update. Please forgive me! *kitty cat eyes*

Ariel

I can seriously hear the funny background music that plays in every sitcom.

"Ari, my kiddo!" Mom grabbed me by the neck and pulled me to her bosom.

"M-Mom! I can't breathe!" I whimpered.

She let go of my head and held my cheeks instead in her palms. "You have lost a lot of weight! Isn't Seydon taking good care of you?"

Hehe. Moms. All mothers are the same.

"Mama, at least come in-"

She gasped as her eyes fell on the hair flick that Griffin's sword ruined. She covered her mouth with her hand as she gently caressed her fingers through the hair lock.

"What happened to your lovely hair?" she asked, looking all perplexed and dramatic. A foreign eye might think she was overreacting, but this wasn't even the tip of the iceberg. Julia Ford was more than just a drama queen. She was the drama Goddess; if something like that even existed.

Julia Ford, the beautiful red-haired angel, was my mother, my best friend, my confidante, and my most favourite person in this world. We inherited a lot of traits from her, including that hair.

She was as innocent as a child. The news of my accident five years back literally put her into a frenzy. Given that she was still a little unstable at times, we often had to hide a lot of things from her.

"Griffy!"

"My name is Griffin!" My brother's screeching voice resounded from the staircase. He was struggling to carry in some heavy containers while Dad jogged after him close behind after parking the car. I chuckled at the transaction.

He dropped the containers on the main door and then huffed out a long breath as he stooped, with his palms planted on his knees.

"What- what the hell did you pack for her, mom? Rocks?" He grumbled.

"Awww, my poor little baby!" Mom pulled him in for a "breathtaking" hug, and I found him turning blue with the lack of oxygen.

"Mom!!!"

She brushed him aside and then turned to Dad. "Landon dear, doesn't she look thinner than the last time we visited her?"

He peeked in from behind the door and stepped inside, an amused smile playing on his lips.

"Whatever you say, dear. How can I ever cross your words."

The blue of his irises sparkled in delight, his dark hair with a few specks of grey complementing the colour. That was where we got our eyes from.

"Landon!"

I giggled again while Griffin rolled his eyes. Mom and Dad were the most precious couple, and I aspired to be like them. Mom was clearly the head of the family. She was everyone's favourite, no matter what she said or did. We loved her like crazy.

"Ahahahahaaaah! Ariel, help!" Rihanna clambered down the stairs in a hurry while Alex followed close behind, an evil grin gracing his lips.

I guess the kids made up.

While my family stared in awe at them, she rushed out in the living room towards us and then hid behind me. Alex climbed down but then stopped on the fifth stair as his eyes fell upon us. I noticed his lips move.

He definitely cursed right now!

He climbed a step back, and I watched as mum's eyes twinkled in delight.

"Alex, dear!" she jogged towards the circular staircase with her hands open wide. I didn't know much since I was in the hospital. Grandpa introduced Alex to the family, and Seydon later introduced him to me. Mom was extra kind towards him because he didn't have one. Of course, she never held back in showering her love on people to the point of suffocating them.

I looked around, and my eyes met with dad's. He flashed a warm smile at me, and my heart melted. A daughter is her father's favourite. She is the only girl he loves more than his wife. I walked towards him and wrapped my arms around his broad torso, feeling emotional and nostalgic. He hugged back, gently caressing my hair with his hand. I was a big girl, I had often stayed months away without seeing them, yet I couldn't imagine a day without knowing that they exist.

I closed my eyes and rested my cheek against his chest. Even though I didn't remember my childhood with him, I knew he loved me. He loved me so much.

Nothing contests the safety of the arms of your parents. No one can. Not even Sey.

"Aun Hulia... Uu are subbocating veeee..." We heard Alex's muffled voice with his head smashed to mom's chest. The exchange made us all laugh.

Mom stood on the same step as Alex, and yet he towered over her like a skyscraper. He even surpassed me in height.

I don't know why, but it doesn't feel right. He should have been shorter than me at least.

Mom and Alex climbed down the stairs together, her pulling on his ear on something he said. Even though Alex pretended to be a serious, angry young man majority of the time, it was evident by the gleam in his eyes that he loved her company.

"Ariel! I am done with the kitchen. Do you want me to clean-"

Kaidon emerged out of the kitchen, clad in an apron and carrying a broom in hand. I asked the 'freeloader' for help with the household chores since we gave all the housekeeping staff off for Christmas. My parents stared at him with their eyes popping out, and he returned the reaction. Of course, they had never met before; this would be-

"Mr Ford." He greeted, gaining his composure.

"Kaidon Cross. It's been a while." Dad responded.

My eyes swivelled to and fro between them, wondering about the nature of their relationship.

"You guys know each other?" I finally asked.

"We briefly met five years back." Dad continued. "He wanted an audience with your grandfather."

"Why did you go to see the elder Ford?" Alex immediately jumped in, giving a sceptical gaze in Kaidon's direction.

He hauled in a breath as he adjusted the tip of the broom on the floor and supported his body against it. "I had my reasons that I don't think I need to share."

"Umm... who are you, son?" We heard mom's hesitant voice break in the ice.

Kaidon silently stared at her for a few seconds too long and then gently bowed and introduced himself, "I am Kaidon Cross, ma'am. Seydon's cousin."

"Oh!" Mom clapped her hands together as she walked towards him. "You are such an adorable child!" She gently plucked some dust off his hair. "Why haven't we seen you before?"

"I was on a-"

Shit!

I ran up to them and elbowed him hard in the gut, making him hiss in pain. Pushing him behind my back, I took hold of mom's hands and answered, "He was outside the country for his studies. He returned just a few days ago."

"Aww. I hope everything went well. That reminds me, I don't see Seydon anywhere." she glanced around the hallway, her curious eyes searching for the silver head.

"He was sent on a mis-"

I kicked Kaidon with my feet, and he cursed again. I could almost feel the chills of his glare on my back.

I am sorry, Kaidon!

"Mom! He was sent on a mis-mismanaged client site! Something happened. He was urgently called."

"Ohh! Will he be back today? I wanted to see him too." Mom pouted.

Will he be? He sounded like he will be gone for a while. The Order wouldn't have partnered me up with Kaidon if Sey's was a short mission.

"Mom. Relax, okay? You can see him again another day."

"Ask him to visit me often!" Mom whined, and she looked as adorable as a little kid. "Now where's the kitchen?" she effortlessly picked up the containers that Griffin helped carry in and hopped towards the kitchen, her strength making him gape.

"Who the hell is that woman! Dad! Did you really marry a human?"

"Son," Dad returned, wrapping his hand around Griffin's shoulder. "When the hell are you getting married, anyway? Your sister is beating you to it."

"Marry me, Griffin!" Rihanna jumped on the opportunity, and I can bet a thousand bucks that if Alex had a knife right then, we'd have Griffin's dead body on the floor.

From the corner of my eye, I noticed the chilling glare of my partner as well.

Shit.

***

"Mind telling me what was that?" Kaidon asked as he leaned his body against the kitchen slab.

I gave him a sideways glance. He had showered after the cleaning and his hair were still dripping with water. A white coloured shirt covered his chest with the top two buttons unfastened, a tiny thread peeking out of one. The OCD in me had the urge to pluck it off, but I curled my fingers in.

"I'll tell you, but promise me that you will cooperate!"

"I need to know what I am cooperating with." He gave me a sceptical look as he folded his hands over his chest.

"I am not asking you to kill someone!"

"If it's to kill Seydon, then I am all in."

I shot him a glare and stuck my tongue out at him.

"So, what was it about?"

"Umm... so you might find this strange, but mom doesn't know about us or The Order."

"Huh? What?" His eyes widened in surprise.

"A few years back, I got into this accident. They say that it was the enemy of The Order who attacked me." I sighed, glancing back to the living room to see mom engaged in a conversation with Rihanna. Her smile always pinched my heart because it made me recall the day when I first saw her smile after my accident. "She had always been against us being in the Order. But Dad is the head of the family; he couldn't abandon that responsibility. When she learned about the accident, she lost her mind. She suffered from a selective memory loss."

"She forgot about the existence of The Order?" He blurted out immediately. I must say, if I didn't know better, I'd have mistaken him to be a clever man.

"She knew she couldn't do anything about it. She was powerless. Thus her mind created that ignorance as a defence mechanism. Her doctor asked us to keep up that facade."

He looked away into the distance while my eyes set upon him to decipher his expression. I didn't know if he would understand it. All I could do was hope.

"I get it. I'll be careful. You guys love her a lot."

I tilted my head to the side to get a better look at his face, my hand absentmindedly stirring the pan.

Sey told me that both of them lost their mothers young. He did suffer a lot, but he confessed that Kaidon's presence was his walking stick. Knowing that you aren't alone is often the only crutch you need. Kaidon wasn't much older to him, less than three months, and yet he was the elder brother figure for his cousins. How much must he have kept hidden within to gather the strength to support them?

"Ariel!" His panicked voice pulled me out of my daze. I realised I had added alcohol to the pan and it caught fire. It was a normal thing to happen when cooking dessert, but apparently, Kaidon was an illiterate when it came to cooking.

He pulled me away from the pan, and my face hit his chest.

Wait, I am scared of fire. Is that why-

His arm tightly wound around my waist. I glanced up, and his brows furrowed together in concern. His other hand reached out to put off the flame. I hadn't realised that I was being held on my feet by his strength until he loosened his grip. My legs gave away, and I clutched on to his shirt for balance.

"Careful."

He lifted me by the waist and seated me on the breakfast island, taking a moment too long to stare at me. I used that as an excuse to admire the colour of his eyes. Those turquoise tinted irises were acting like a mirror, my reflection making me realise how much of a resemblance I carried to this person's dead girl.

Was it the fire? I am scared of it, but I am comfortable with kitchen flames. Why did I just go numb?

My fingers suddenly itched to caress his cheek.

"Ari!"

The moment ended. We broke out of our daze. Turning our heads to the side, we saw mom carrying in a plate full of apples.

"I peeled them. Would you like some?"

Kaidon abruptly backed away, and I jumped down on the floor, both of us refusing to meet eyes like two young kids embarrassed to be caught red-handed by the teacher.

"I-I have- I'll just go." He announced and sprinted out of the kitchen. I hurried to her and took the plate away.

"Mom! Stop working. Don't do anything. You are a guest here!"

Of course, she ignored my words of protest and went ahead to light up the flame below the pan.

"Mom!"

"How's everything with Seydon, Ari?"

Hmm?

"Everything is okay."

She nodded, keeping her attention fixed on the pan.

"Are you guys getting along well?"

I think we are. I don't think there's anyone other than me who can bear his tantrums.

"Why would you ask that, mom?"

"The Cross men, they certainly do have a charm, don't they?"

I rolled my eyes to that.

"Mom, if it's about what you saw right now, it isn't what you-"

"Ari." She turned to me, a sad smile planted over her lips. Her hand raised to caress my cheek lovingly, the warmth soothing the cold. "If we rushed you into this marriage, let us know, okay?"

"Oh, mom!" I complained as I reached behind her, wrapping my hands on her waist and resting my cheek against her shoulder. "Stop worrying about me. I won't let anyone or anything force me into something!"

She giggled, shifting her attention back to the dessert she was cooking.

"Your gaze gave me a different impression."

"My gaze?"

"The face you made and the way you looked at him. Damn me if something doesn't happen between the two of you if you stay under the same roof for long."

I rolled my eyes while she laughed. Who would fall for that ugly emo head!

"Your auntie did that."

Huh?

"What was that, mum?"

"Your aunt Lilian. She married a person different from the one she loved."

Woah! What! Alex's mum?

"Really? Why! Mom, don't tell me we are one of those ancient conservative families who arrange the marriages for their kids."

Mom let out another musical chuckle as she lowered the flame.

"We aren't, sweety. Your aunt loved one of the Cross men."

DAMN! Who? Was it the current president?

"Who was he? How do you know that!"

"Aah those days. They were like the Romeo and Juliet of our families. You know, right? Fords and Crosses always butted heads in business in the past. To think our fierce Lily would fall for the Cross sweetheart."

Sweetheart? Huh? What? That President is nice?

"Hmm... What was his name again? ... On... El... Eldon! Yes! Eldon Cross!"

Eldon... Rihanna's dad?

***

All of us stood outside on the foyer, Kaidon and Alex standing a little further away and arguing about something while Dad went off to fetch the car around to the door.

"Griffy, where do you plan on going to this time? Just get married and settle down!" Mom whined to him.

"Yes Griffin, marry me please!" Rihanna chimed in, and I can bet my ass I noticed Alex's eyebrows twitch.

"Listen to mom, Griffy- ouch!" I frowned when he pulled on my hair.

"I am not settling down before this little runt." He announced, earning a glare from me. "Anyway, I heard about this master from the East who is-"

"Yes yes, shut up now. Mom," I turned to her. "When will you guys come back to visit us?"

"Yes, auntie, please come often."

Mom's eyes lit up as she pulled both of us in for another suffocating hug. "Aww, my little girls... I love you so much."

The honking sound from the car caught our ears. Dad climbed out, shutting the door and stepping in our direction. I hopped towards him and pulled him in for a warm hug. He gently caressed my hair and returned the embrace.

"Dad, please don't leave so early." I tried to gather as much of my cuteness in my voice, trying to coax him to stay.

He let out an amused laugh, making me feel the rumbling in his chest.

"And here I thought my little girl had started loving her fiance more than her dad."

"Dad!" I retorted, playfully smacking him on the chest. "He can never replace you. He's an idiot."

He gave me a sceptical glance as he gently fixed my hair flick, "What did he do this time? You even got Griffin to come to your rescue."

Griffin and I may always be after each others' throats, but my words were the only force in this world that could make him abandon his self imposed exile. Our parents were well aware of that. They probably suspected something was up and decided to visit.

I flashed my best smile to him to assuage his concerns. Even though Sey never told me about that girl, it wasn't like she was coming back. I didn't need to worry Dad with these things.

His hand slid down to cover my cheek, a discerning look gracing his gaze, "I won't force it out of you, but next time, call me. I'll make sure to beat some sense into that boy."

My eyes widened a little, and my smile died down. I couldn't hide it from him. I could never. Parents always know when their child is in pain. Pretence is futile with them. His knowing eyes had me caught. All I could do was nod in answer.

***

Kaidon and I went grocery shopping once my family left. I'd have left alone, but I needed someone to carry the bags for me. He wanted to collect something from his home, and therefore I was waiting in the car outside his house. It was a decent two-storey house, not as expansive as Sey's, but marvellous regardless.

While I was double checking my list if I had bought everything, I heard a muffled ringtone buzz. I glanced around and noticed Kaidon's phone screen blinking from below the driver's seat. My hand reached out to grab it, and Alex's face lit it up.

"Kaidon!" His panicked voice resounded.

"What's the matter?"

"Huh? Ariel?"

"Weren't you going back home?"

"I did. Where's Kaidon?"

I glanced at his house, but I wasn't sure if he was coming out any time soon.

"Something urgent? He isn't here right now."

"Just tell him my Dad's missing. I need his help!"

He hung up before I could respond. Confused, I stepped outside the car and headed towards the main door. I turned the knob, and it was unlocked.

Should I go in?

Deciding otherwise, I pressed on the doorbell. When he didn't answer for long, I rang it again. Several minutes passed, and I began worrying. Alex's voice sounded pressing. Pulling the door wide open, I stepped inside, calling out his name.

"Kaidon!"

My eyes glanced to the sides. For some reason, it awfully felt familiar. My fingers lazily traced across the wallpaper on the sidewall. The curtains on the windows, the television, the couch- my hand reached out to fix the position of a showpiece on the mantel.

OCD brain at work?

I shook my head and strode through the living room to the kitchen but everywhere was empty.

"Kaidon! This is important!"

My eyes fell upon another door. I instinctively reached out and turned the knob, and opened it wide.

The fading light of the setting sun in the late dusk hours simmered in through the glass windows, illuminating the grief-stricken room. All around on every wall were pictures of just one person, one woman. Pictures of varying frame sizes and varying emotions. Some had a smiling face while others lit with a frown, a pout, or confusion. It felt like being surrounded by countless mirrors, and yet I knew it wasn't me.

"Kai..."

My voice trailed off. He stood there in the centre of the room, absentmindedly staring at a picture, or perhaps just lost in a memory. My voice made his still body move. He turned around and stared at me with a mortifying look on his face.

"Alice?"

"The face you made and the way you looked at him. Damn me if something doesn't happen between the two of you if you stay under the same roof for long."

Mom's words from the afternoon rung in my head. I wasn't sure what kind of look was she talking about then.

I think I see it now. What kind of look you give to the person you love. It's right there in his eyes...

We just stared at each other; my fingers still wound around the doorknob.

"Kai...don..."

His eyes glistened at my voice. Kaidon Cross is not a person who'd ever cry before another soul. Not before me, or anyone.

But maybe he needs to right now, and I need to close my eyes.

I took a step in his direction, then another, and then another. He didn't step away but just kept staring at me with a forlorn look, the look of a lonely abandoned child. He didn't look like the mighty frightening Black Wolf that everyone feared.

I stood before him, hardly a few inches of space between us, and then gently pulled him in for a hug. He didn't protest, and I felt his body shake. He was sobbing. I wasn't sure if he began willingly or if I unconsciously used my powers on him, but he broke and sat down and I slid along with him to the floor.

My heart pinched. It was my first time feeling this weird emotion.

What am I feeling? Why do I have this outlandish thought? Why did... Why did I hope that the look he gave me was for me and not that other woman?

Author's Notes: Henloooo! I had a huge writer's block. A lot happened in life. My family had a medical emergency, and then I kinda zoned out. I immersed myself in gaming but then got addicted to it hehehe. I fell sick later, and now I have an exam tomorrow, and I am not prepared.

Woohoo. Lol. I am also taking a break from work, I want to do something else in life. A lot was going on, and hopefully, by posting this chapter today, I will have at least my writing sorted again. Thanks a lot for sticking with me until now.

A lot of unanswered messages and comments, I'll answer them all soon. Thank you so much for understanding. Will try to post the next chapter as early as possible.

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

20.5K 1.1K 33
Journalist Sofie has to seduce a handsome escort for an exclusive tell-all article without getting lost in temptations that could become deadly. "Som...
280 16 19
I made a terrible mistake, I let my guard down when I shouldn't have. And that only led me into a trap, his trap. I was a pawn in this wicked game of...
4.2K 1.2K 33
❛Some women fear the fire and some simply become it...❜ A 17 year old girl, who also happens to be an infamous assassin, named Red ends up in the Roy...
162K 4.6K 22
Seven years ago, Tristan Knight walked away from the love of his life, Serenity Harris, without a word or a backwards glance. No goodbye. No Dear Joh...