Whisper of Blade | āœ“ (Crimson...

By MiyaHikari

| š–ššš­š­š²š¬ šŸšŸŽšŸšŸ š’š”šØš«š­š„š¢š¬š­ | What do you do when everyone seems to want you dead? Kill them... More

š‘°š’š’•š’“š’
š‘Øš’„š’„š’š’š’‚š’…š’†š’”
Prologue: Bridge
Chapter 1: The Pale Viper
Chapter 3: Of Kats and Kings
Chapter 4: Tempered Blade
Chapter 5: The Enemy of My Enemy
Chapter 6: Reality Has Rules
Chapter 7: Crafting Kirukkan
Chapter 8: Tears of Blood
Chapter 9: One Woman Army
Chapter 10: Glass Cannon
Chapter 11: Together
Chapter 12: Fake Enemies
Chapter 13: Assassin's Vengeance
Chapter 14: Funeral Pyre
Chapter 15: Seeing the Dawn
Chapter 16: Eye of the Snake
Chapter 17: Move in Silence
Chapter 18: Sun and Snow
Chapter 19: Pain of Death
Chapter 20: Bloody Knuckles
Chapter 21: Break Our Bones
Chapter 22: Kill or Be Killed
Chapter 23: Mamoritai
Chapter 24: Shoot the Messenger
Chapter 25: Repeating History
Chapter 26: Company
Chapter 27: First Strike
Chapter 28: Water Lily
Chapter 29: A Boy and His Kat
Chapter 30: Fishy Executions
Chapter 31: Death of a Dream
Chapter 32: Silken Smoke
Chapter 33: Lullaby and Goodnight
Chapter 34: Even if I Burned
Chapter 35: Unraveling
Chapter 36: Not Going Under
Chapter 37: The Firebird
Chapter 38: Checkmate
Chapter 39: Couldn't Be Love
Chapter 40: Bittersweet
Chapter 41: Letting Go
Chapter 42: Duality
Chapter 43: Flawed Armor
Chapter 44: Champion of the Arena
Chapter 45: Remember Me
Chapter 46: Sunset
Chapter 47: Crossing
Epilogue: The Price of Poison
Sequel Excerpt: Blood Shadows
š‘¶š’–š’•š’“š’
š‘®š’š’š’”š’”š’‚š’“š’š
š‘·š’š’‚š’šš’š’Šš’”š’•
š‘Øš’“š’•
š‘Øš’†š’”š’•š’‰š’†š’•š’Šš’„š’”
š‘Ŗš’‰š’‚š’“š’‚š’„š’•š’†š’“ š‘ø&š‘Ø
šŸ”„ šŸšŸ“š¤ š’š©šžšœš¢ššš„ šŸ”„

Chapter 2: Hunter or Hunted

1.9K 204 3.2K
By MiyaHikari

Minerva joined the shadowed figure of Shika where she stood at the window. The highest story of the White Lioness Inn provided an ideal view, the guild districts spread out before them like a map.

Looming directly across the warzone, the Firebird flashed its challenge.

The Conclave was far from being the largest guild and its members held to tight-knit groups in secrecy. But one day ... One day they wouldn't need to hide in nondescript buildings, switching locations to avoid suspicion. Conclavers would not be afraid of Phoenix Kin recognizing their guild markings on the streets and hunting them to extinction.

Minerva nodded her head in the Firebird's direction, renewing her silent vow to defy them.

To retaliate.

I'll see your grand headquarters burned to the ground, your bodies reduced to ash. And when that moment comes, I'll laugh at the irony of it all.

Her mind played with the details of their downfall, while the beacons continued to eat away at the city before her.

Finally, Shika spoke, not turning to look at Minerva. "You're late, Kozakura."

Minerva half-grimaced, half-smiled at the name. It reminded her that Shika didn't know who she was, but that reminder came with the assurance that her identity remained secret. Working under an alias was a common practice. She'd found out Shika's real name within a few months of their first meeting.

"I ran into some trouble along the way," Minerva answered.

Shika gestured to the fires. "There's always trouble burning, you just need to avoid it." The younger girl chuckled. "Though I suppose that's too much to ask of you, isn't it? What delayed you this time?" Shika turned to face Minerva, the light from outside catching on her face more than the light from the candles in the room.

Minerva fought the urge to back away. Shika is not a threat.

Although, Minerva admitted to herself, her former apprentice could look intimidating. She possessed that natural grace of a predator, of one accustomed to having all their motions in sync and effortless. The white scar that cut cleanly through the brown of Shika's left eyebrow only added to the effect.

When Minerva didn't respond, Shika prodded further. "Were you trying to thwart the Saboteurs by rescuing one of their targets? Stop them from sending the Starsear up in flames?"

Minerva jerked her head up, eyes meeting Shika's brown ones. Her hood slid off her head, unnoticed. "What?"

Shika pointed to one of the smaller specks of light. "The Saboteurs smoked out the Twilight Enclave. I thought you knew." Her tone held a trace of disappointment.

Minerva grimaced at the bitter taste that entered her mouth. Another guild war ended, but at the cost of an ally. They'd been dropping like flies, only the Kirukkan Dragons were left now.

"I don't know everything, Shika," Minerva whispered, walking to the table to pour herself a cup of tea. Her eyes landed on the bookshelf as she did. Ash and dust coated the shelves again. She'd have to speak to Raon.

It was only when she'd finished pouring two cups that she realized the tea was cold. Dumping the cups' contents back into the teapot, she muttered under her breath, "Stupid, forgetting you're not allowed to wield. No heating tea for you."

"You alright there, Kozakura?" Shika asked, pulling out a chair.

"I can't wield."

Shika nodded knowingly. "I noticed your eyes turned color. You're not allowed to wield until your Trial, right?" She snatched up the tea tray before Minerva could and seconds later was yelling down the hall. With a smug grin on her face, she returned to sit at the table. "How's it feel to be just like the rest of us?"

"I'm bloody cold," Minerva growled.

"Understandable." Shika leaned forward, elbows propped up on the table between them. "So ... where were you really? Being a whole hour late isn't like you. Something big must've happened to keep you back."

Minerva drew her wanted paper from her satchel and held it out to Shika. "Look at this."

Shika took up the parchment, eyes skimming the words. "Now this" —she groaned, pulling out her own scroll to toss at Minerva— "is why I tried to get you here earlier. Every bounty hunter and assassin in the city is drooling over that reward." She snorted. "Like they'd live to collect it. The Phoenixes will off anyone who turns you in to save the coin."

"My thoughts exactly. Now, what do you suggest I do about it?"

Fingering a few spots of dried blood on the paper, Shika looked up sharply. "From the looks of these ... you already did something. How many were there?"

"Four," Minerva answered shortly. She didn't volunteer more information. Not the way they'd lured her in. Not the girl she'd recognized. The fact that they'd known enough about her habits to predict how she'd act—

It scared her more than she'd admit.

"All Phoenixes?" Shika asked.

"Yes," Minerva lied. The wild card in the alley ... there were just too many things she didn't know. Questions she couldn't have answers to because the people who knew them were rotting corpses on the dung heaps where she'd thrown them.

"I'm glad you were never the boasting type," Shika continued, not at all aware of Minerva's subterfuge. "If you'd mentioned killing Phoenixes to anyone besides me and Kaage, they would've already turned you in. You should stay inside until all the hunters give up and go home. That's my advice."

A knock sounded on their door and Shika got up to fetch the tea delivery.

Minerva pulled a piece of string out of her long sleeve to finger the knots tied in it.

Are they the hunters, or am I? What if hiding makes me well and truly their prey?

Shika set the new tray down and proceeded to pour out the tea. White wisps of steam rose delicately from the cup she handed to Minerva. Putting her tea down, Minerva tied four new knots in her string before tucking it away again.

"Shika ..." she whispered.

"Hmm?"

"They wouldn't be able to find me, right?" The scroll Shika had thrown at her provided no more information than the last one. "There's no description. I've never been connected to the Pale Viper." Minerva shivered at the implications of that wanted name. A pale viper was a rare, nocturnal snake, however most knew of it as the symbol of the goddess Nemesis.

Minerva preferred to associate with deities as little as possible. Nemesis in particular.

"I'm not worried about them finding you. I'm worried about you running right into them 'saving' someone." Shika rolled her eyes. "Do me a favor and stay off the streets. I'd rather not have my former mentor die before she even comes of age."

"I will. At least, until the festival and the tournament start."

"Oh, that dumb thing." Leaning back in her chair, Shika put her feet up on the table and sipped her tea. "A royal party for that spoiled brat of an Emperor's daughter," she snarled, lip curling in aversion. "And those pompous, fat Rulers with their hideous spawn."

Minerva winced mentally. "You don't know they're all like that, Shika." She sipped from her own cup and almost spat the tea back out. "Someone scalded this." Frowning, Minerva peered into her cup. "It's ruined the flavor."

"Tastes fine to me." Shika shrugged. "Beggars can't be choosers." A sudden spark flared to life in her eyes.

Burn it. Here we go again.

Shika cocked her head. "But you aren't a beggar, are you Kozakura? Not a noble either."

With the hour wait, Shika probably had a name on the tip of her tongue. "Hurry up and guess," Minerva said, rubbing her forehead. "We don't have all night."

"Are you the daughter of the former Imperial General, Matsudo Kavighn?"

Minerva smiled, drawing out the moment as Shika almost tipped her chair too far back. She took a deep breath ...

"No."

"Ashes," Shika grumbled. "You're a tricky one, Kozakura. Worn a hundred different guises in my company and yet they are all in essence, you." She raised her teacup. "I toast you. The ultimate enigma." Following the declaration she downed the rest of the nasty, overcooked leaf juice in a single gulp.

Minerva inclined her head in gracious acceptance.

Attempting to cover an enormous yawn, Shika asked, "Is there anything else? It's gonna get light out soon."

"This." Minerva placed a wooden box in front of Shika. "Open it."

Shika peeked inside. "What are these?"

"Kaage calls them 'smoke balls'."

"Not another one of his projects!" Shika jumped out of her chair, backing away to what she seemed to think was a safe distance. "You shouldn't support his mad schemes. The last one almost killed us!"

"Don't exaggerate, Shika. He assured me these are perfectly safe." Minerva pulled the box back and removed one of the date-sized metal orbs from the cushioned interior. She traced the line around the ball with her finger. "See this? He says you twist the two halves away from each other and throw it. It'll explode and release smoke that lasts about three to five minutes. Supposedly, it works better indoors because it takes longer for the smoke to dissipate."

"Supposedly? Has he ever tested one?" Shika's voice grew shrill with alarm. "How do you know it won't blow up in your face!"

"He tested it." Minerva gathered up her things, leaving one of the two smoke balls on the table. "That one's for you."

Shika pulled her chair away from the table and sat down, still recoiling from the metal ball as if it were a poisonous snake. "I don't want it."

Grabbing the smoke ball, Minerva pried open Shika's clenched fist and slapped it in her palm.

Shika flinched.

"Take it. It may save your life one day," Minerva ordered. "Your assignment is to observe the hunt from a distance. Do not engage. Meet me here Tulsday, sixteenth hour, to report."

At the door, Minerva added softly, "Be careful, Shika."

"Same to you." A hitch in Shika's voice betrayed her unease, but she managed to retain the presence of mind to twirl her hand in the apprentice's sign of respect.

It seemed Shika would never grow out of the once required gesture. After listening at the door, Minerva cautiously eased it open and walked through, shutting it behind her.

Out in the hallway, she inhaled sharply. She'd forgotten to breathe in there. If Shika ever guessed who she was ... she'd have to cut and run.

I've sacrificed too much, made too many plans to let one person ruin me.

Minerva straightened and continued down the hall towards the stairs. Stopping at a picture hanging on the wall, she looked both ways before taking it off its hook. Flipped around, it showed posters for all the Conclave's missing guild members and apprentices.

She had to rifle through some newer papers, but she found the right one and ripped it out from where she'd pinned it months ago. After replacing the board, she took the steps down to the ground floor.

Minerva threw the paper into the fireplace before barging out the back entrance, sound and smell hitting her back as the cold smacked her in the face.

The girl's name left her lips one last time in whispered farewell.

For she was well and truly dead to her now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44K 1.5K 38
You've been having weird dreams of him. He's always been on your mind, even though you've never seen him before. But who was he? And why did he look...
2.3K 1.3K 104
"My whole life changed after my mother's death. I was an orphan just before some time and now, I am a witch, the next heir of Witchdom, a princess, t...
3.5K 602 74
SIXTH BOOK OF THE CHRONICLES OF FANTASILIA SERIES š˜šš˜©š˜¦ š˜øš˜¢š˜“ š˜­š˜°š˜“š˜µ. š˜šš˜©š˜¦ š˜øš˜¢š˜“ š˜§š˜°š˜¶š˜Æš˜„. š˜•š˜°š˜ø, š˜“š˜©š˜¦ š˜Ŗš˜“ š˜„š˜¦š˜µš˜¦š˜³š˜®š˜Ŗš˜Æš˜¦š˜„ š˜µš˜° š˜“ļæ½...
57.5K 3.3K 38
||š–ššš­š­š²š¬ šŸšŸŽšŸšŸ š’š”šØš«š­š„š¢š¬š­šžš«|| [š€š¬š”šžš¬ š­šØ ššš¬š”šžš¬, šš®š¬š­ š­šØ šš®š¬š­...] The princess of Niveus is cursed. Overflowi...