Stay βœ“

By leviackermans1ut

Sasuke Uchiha and Mai Masaki used to be childhood friends. However, after the masscre of Sasuke's clan by the... More

Chapter 1: dead memories
Chapter 2: first day
Chapter 3: fallen flowers
Chapter 4: new weapon
Chapter 5: thirteenth birthday
Chapter 6: party
Chapter 7: spy
Chapter 8: complications
Chapter 9: clouds
Chapter 10: stay away
Chapter 11: training
Chapter 12: haunting past
Chapter 13:exam day
Chapter 14:squads assemble
Chapter 15:first mission
Chapter 16:hotsprings
Chapter 17:messiness
Chapter 18:stranded
Chapter 19: an understanding
Chapter 20:captured
Chapter 21:tortured
Chapter 22:late night walk
Chapter 23:curse mark
Chapter 24:panic
Chapter 25:waiting room
Chapter 26:forever
Chapter 27:trust
Chapter 28:comfortable
Chapter 29:departure
Chapter 30:failure
Chapter 31:winter
Chapter 32:back home
Chapter 33:anbu
Chapter 34:nothing
Chapter 35:mixed feelings
Chapter 36:overwhelmed
Chapter 37:crumbling
Chapter 38:impossible
Chapter 39:submissive
Chapter 40:changed
Chapter 41:stuck
Chapter 42:official
Chapter 43:brothers
Chapter 45:the truth
Chapter 46:vengeance
Chapter 47:fervent
Chapter 48:im with you
Chapter 49:terrorist
Chapter 50:elimination
Chapter 51:you and I
Chapter 52:giving in
Chapter 53: inclination
Chapter 54:tension
Chapter 55:visitors
Chapter 56: accountabilityοΏΌ
Chapter 57: our sins
Chapter 58: end
a/n
Epilogue

Chapter 44:insanity

724 30 1
By leviackermans1ut

Mai's pov

   "Hey, it's me. It's really me."

I couldn't believe it. I have never been more bewildered than I am right now, starring at my sister who died years ago. This doesn't make any logical sense, I went to her funeral... A ninja came by and confirmed that she was dead...

I feel like my brain has finally gone insane, because there is no way my sister is alive standing in front of me right now. It has to be my mind playing tricks on me, right?

"Listen, I can explain everything. Just not here."

Her voice. It hasn't changed at all. It's welcoming, warm, and soothing. It makes me feel happy and at home with my family. It makes me feel loved and wanted.

As I blinked tears trickled down my cheeks, that were crimson red from the freezing weather. I slowly lifted my shaky hand up, and placed it gently on my sister's face.

One my skin touched hers, I let out an audible gasp, realizing that my presumed dead older sister, was actually alive after all this time.

Maiko widely smiled, reaching out her hands to embrace me into a hug. My body was still paralyzed from shock, so I couldn't hug her back.

Maiko... is... alive... After everything I've been through after she died.. after all the pain I endured, she has been alive all along?

My heart began pounding against my chest almost like it was desperate to rip out of my body. Pure, overwhelming rage filled my veins causing my blood to boil rapidly.

My teeth gritted together, as I aggressively shoved Maiko off from me. Her eyes fell dull, and she looked at me with distraught.

"Do you understand how much pain I've been through? Do you understand how hard living my life is?" I reprimanded.

Maiko furrowed her eyebrows, giving me a quizzical look. "Mai, I understand me dying had a extreme toll on your life. However-."

"Yes, yes it did!" I screamed loudly, causing my voice to break as sobs threatened to escape my throat. "You were my best friend! My big sister! I loved you so much!"

Maiko's eyes filled with tears. She bit her lip and opened her mouth to reply, but, due to my rage I didn't give her that chance.

"Do you know how mom and dad treated me after we heard you died?" I asked through prominent sobs, waterfalls of tears streaming down my face.

She arched an eyebrow and shook her head. "They must have felt-."

I stormed forward, getting inches away from her face. "Dad used me as a personal punching bag! He abused me almost every fucking day!"

Maiko widened her eyes as tears gracefully trailed down her cheeks. "W-what did you s-say?"

"And mom... she became mentally detached. She didn't care what dad did to me!"

Maiko squeezed her eyes shut. "Mai.. I'm so sorry. I didn't think they would ever become so cruel."

I unintentionally let out a chuckle. "Yeah, neither did I. But, ya know, I learned the hard way."

"Did you move out?"

I scoffed. "Why do you even give a shit? You left me like fucking everyone! My own sister!" I screamed at the top of my lungs.

My voice started to burn from the strain I've been putting on it from yelling so much, so I forced myself to calm down.

At this point, I feel completely drained. My body feels weak and so does my brain. Everything has been piling on top of one another, and I'm just done.

I feel like a glass bottle that was thrown to the ground, glass pieces shattering everywhere. I feel like the joy and life has been sucked out of me, only leaving numbness and self pity.

The darkness doesn't seem too bad after all. Being alone is easier than being hurt by everyone you love. At the end of the day, you only have yourself.

I'm ready to succumb to midnight. The darkness has been calling me for years now, and I'm officially pulled into it.

And it isn't as scary as I previously thought.

"I do give a shit. Please, let me explain everything to you." Maiko pleaded, snapping me from my flooding thoughts.

"You can do that after I get Sasuke."

~

Back in Orochimaru's hideout, Me, Maiko, Sasuke, Karin, Suigetsu and Jugo all sat in one of the old bedrooms together.

I am still angry at my sister for leaving me and pretending to be dead. How could I not be? Her death is the cause of my years of torment and abuse. Her death made me believe life had no true purpose. I loved her more than anything. And she left me.

Sasuke hasn't uttered a single word since he successfully killed Itachi, which is understandable. That must have been confusing and painful to him.

But, I don't owe him anything. He has hurt me time and time again, so honestly, he can sit there and loath in self pity for all I care. It's his turn to feel pain, and usually I would hate myself for being selfish, however he played me like a game and forced me to join a terrorist group.

Maiko admiringly gazed at Sasuke and warmly smiled at him. "You've grown up so much."

I got annoyed quickly. "Just tell me why you faked your death already."

She sighed, locking eyes with me. "You and Sasuke need to know the truth about Itachi and why he massacred the Uchiha clan."

The truth? What is she talking about?

I immediately looked at Sasuke who was already glancing at me. He stood up and stormed over to Maiko, fisting her shirt into a ball before yanking her up to her feet.

"The truth is, is that Itachi is pure evil. He killed my clan to test his powers, and then joined the Akatsuki." Sasuke muttered.

Maiko gently placed her hands on top of Sasuke's fist. "Please, just sit and listen to me. I will explain everything. To you, and to my sister."

I was on Sasuke's side for this, and I wouldn't stop him from being aggressive with Maiko. Hell, I want to lash out on her too.

But, I still want closure. I want to understand and I want to know why she decided to fake her death and leave with Itachi. I deserve to know.

Sasuke fist tightened as he pulled Maiko forward, so that their faces perfectly lined up. His jaw was clenched and his face was prominently angry. His onyx orbs were burning into Maiko's.

"I know the truth." Sasuke hissed, causing Maiko to flinch.

I let out a sigh and pushed myself to stand up. I approached Sasuke from behind and put my hand on his shoulder.

He looked at me, and once he gazed into my pleading and reassuring eyes, his softened. His jaw relaxed as he released his hand from my sisters shirt.

"We will listen to what you have to say. Everyone else, get out." I ordered, and surprisingly, they obliged.

Sasuke sat on the edge of the bed, and I took it upon myself to plop down next to him.

I glanced at my sister and groaned. "Get on with it, will you?"

~

"We're sorry, Lady Hokage. We couldn't track Mai anywhere."

Team seven, which consisted of Naruto, Sai, Sakura and Kakashi stood inside of the blonde Hokage's office after their failed mission to find Mai.

Lady Tsunade furrowed her eyebrows with frustration, as she pinched her nose with her index finger and thumb.

"Did you at least figure out if she joined up with Sasuke Uchiha?" The blonde Hokage queried.

Sakura cleared her throat, "Yes. While venturing the town, Naruto and I ran into an old friend we once escorted on a mission," the pinkette sighed before continuing. "His name is Kai, and he informed us that he and Mai ate ramen together and talked for a while. Then, during their conversation a mysterious man approached Mai and kept trying to get her to leave with him. Kai said that she looked uncomfortable and disinterested, but she ended up going with the man."

Lady Tsunade arched an eyebrow. "Was this man Sasuke?"

"Kai said that he remembered that voice. He knew it belonged to Sasuke." Naruto chimed in.

Tsunade squeezed her eyes shut and rubbed her temple. "I see."

"I don't think Mai would leave the village willingly, ya know!? She was dedicated to the ANBU! She was also upset when Sasuke left her, I know she wouldn't do that to her comrades!" Naruto enthusiastically yelled. 

"What course of action should we take, Lady Hokage?" Kakashi questioned.

Lady Tsunade huffed quietly as she thought to herself. "I want to believe Naruto is right."

"So, Team seven, your mission is to find and retrieve Mai Masaki, at all costs!"

"Right!"

~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

75.9K 1.8K 48
Shirazaki Y/N, childhood best friend of Uchiha Sasuke, has a complex and conflicted journey ahead. United by a strong bond since their early years, t...
422K 12.2K 22
*WARNING THE BEGINNING OF THE STORY IS NOT THE BEST* Kira Uchiha. With only a few hours of being born her father made her older brother ,Itachi to...
1.1M 51.6K 73
The war is over. Yet, only one left alive is her. A girl, they never paid enough attention to. A girl, who is to be sent in time and change the whole...
40.8K 1.2K 29
What happens when you're on team 7 with Naruto and Sasuke instead of Sakura? What happens when Sasuke lets his hatred and need for power go, but you...