We Were Great

By seulbear_rvexo

A story of love, heartbreak, and friendship More

Her Question/His Answer
Author's note
I: His/Her Plan
2: Her Overture

1: The Wrong Doctor Kim

131 4 0
By seulbear_rvexo

Cold breeze gentlely embrace her while sipping her tea in her secret hide out a.ka. the roof top. Blue skies, chirping birds, and car noises are Joohyun's background as she type a text message to her confidante, Doctor Jongdae Kim.Her college senior who became her best friend during her senior year while the said doctor is still studying in med school. Joohyun wet her parched lips before sending the text message.

Joohyun: Gusto ko na mag resign. Hindi na ako masaya sa ginagawa ko. Everyday I ask myself, hanggang dito na lang ba ako? This is not the life I imagined 5 years ago.

Five years ago, Joohyun was a dreamer. She dreamed to be a doctor who will save lives and help patients to have a better life but Joohyun did not become a doctor. Joohyun became an assistant for a consultant. A couple of mistakes and unforeseen circumstances brought her where is right now. Life is not a bed of rose for the Cum Laude graduate.

Dr. Kim-IM: ?

Joohyun's eyes went widen when she read the message. She bit her lips as she immediately write a reply.

Joohyun: THIS IS NOT FOR YOU.

Joohyun: I'M SORRY

Joohyun: Doc Kim, disregard my previous message. Please don't tell your dad.

Bakit ba ang daming Kim sa mundo, she wondered. Napa-hilamos na lang siya sa mukha dahil sa nangyari. Siguradong tatawanan siya nang malakas ni Jongdae pag nalaman ang pag kakamali niya. Mapag-laro talaga ang tadhana at sa anak pa ng boss niya na-send ang rant of the day niya.

Dr. Kim-IM: Okay

Joohyun: Okay.

Dr. Kim-IM: Just to make sure, papasok ka bukas?

Jooohyun: Yes, doc.

Hindi niya alam ang gagawin niya pag nakita sya nito sa clinic ng boss niya o maka-salubong sa hallway ng ospital Inubos niya ang tsaa baka umalis sa roof top garden ng ospital.

Tama nga siya. Humahagalpak sa tawa si Jongdae nang makwento siya. Gusto niyang tahiin ang bibig ng kaibigan nang maitigil ito sa katatawa dahil pinag-titinginan na sila sa canteen ng ospital.

"'Wag kang sumimangot diyan baka isipin nila pinag-titripan kita." Jongdae said while he is trying to stop laughing. "I'm sure he will not fire you. Doc Junmyeon is not the kind of person to tattle or mind other's business."

"Sana nga." She nods hopefully. Kahit naman na hindi siya masaya sa ginagawa niya kailangan niya ang trabaho niya.

"Ritual mo na ata talaga ang pag-plano mo mag-resign evey 3 months." Jongdae jokingly said. "Malay mo mag sumbong si Junmyeon sa tatay niya, edi natupad na ang gusto mo."

Hinampas niya ang braso nang kaibigan sabay irap. "Bad joke."

"Alam mo naman kailangan ko rin ng trabaho and this is the job that is nearest to my dream." She said nonchalantly but Jongdae smiles sadly. He knows her hardship and dreams. Sometimes he wonders why God is unfair to her. More than anyone else, Joohyun deserves to be a doctor. She has the intellectual abilities and passion to treat people but fate played Joohyun's life.

Mali si Jongdae. Doctor Junmyeon is nosy. The young doctor left a cup of coffee at her table with a note that says, " Take a break once in a while for your mental health." Hindi nga ito nag sumbong sa tatay niya pero mukha naman gusto nitong pakialamanan ang estado ng mental health niya.

Dr. Kim-IM: Miss Joohyun, nakuha mo ba 'yung kape?

Of all the things in the wrld, pet peeve niya ang feeling close simula nang tumanda siya. Gone are the days, when she is sociable. Even her close friends can't talk to her like the old days. Since she realized that she failed in life, she shut away from people. She played her ballpen on her left hand while sending a message to him.

Joohyun: What are you up to?

Dr. Kim-IM: You were distressed last night. I just want you to have a break.

Dr. Kim-IM: Do you need a friend? You can talk to me. I can make time.

She immediately called Jongdae to ask if Doc Junmyeon is flirting her pero tinawanan na naman siya nito dahil assumera daw siya. She found out that Junmyeon is an advocate for Mental Health in Workplace at hindi lang siya ang nabigyan ng kape.

2 points to Joohyun for being stupid in 2 days straight. Gusto niyang batukan ang sarili.

"Why not try to be friend with Junmyeon? Nag sasawa na rin kasi ako sa'yo." Joohyun rolled her eyes because of his sarcasm. "It's time for you to gain new friends. Hindi lang dapat ako ang kaibigan mo lalo na you detached yourself from your college friends."

"I'll think about it."

Every week may barkada dinner sila ng college friends niya, every week din ang pag-tanggi niya sa invitation nila. Seulgi is worried that she might faint dahil baka nag-oover work na siya. Takot lang nila na magaya siya kay Baekhyun na isinugod sa ospital where she works dahil sa over-fatigue. It was also the last time she saw them. When she saw the notification from their barkada gc, she automatically said pass and texted Junmyeon.

Joohyun: Thanks for your concern.

Dr. Kim-IM: Free ako mamaya. Do you have some free time?

Joohyun: Sure. Where do you want to go?

Dr. Kim-IM: Kape tayo? Or do you want something else?

Joohyun: I don't drink coffee pero okay lang sa akin. I'm sure the cafe has a tea on their menu.

Dr. Kim-IM: I'll wait for you at the lobby.

Joohyun: Okay. See you.

It felt strange and new. Hindi niya alam bakit siya kinakabahan para bang makikipag-blind date siya. It's just Junmyeon, she reminds herself. Si Junmyeon na anak ng boss niya. Si Junmyeon na Senior Resident ng Internal Medicine. Si Junmyeon isa sa dalawang nakakaalam na gustong gusto na niya mag resign.

"Okay ka na?" For the longest time, this is the first time she heard someone asking if she is okay. Well, except for Jongdae. She wants to be honest but Joohyun is afraid to show raw emotions. She sips from her cup. Jazz music playing at their background softly while voices from other costumers fill up the cafe. Most of them knew each other for years, but here she is having a cup of tea to a man he barely knew as the son of her boss until yesterday.

"Ayos naman." It's a lie. She knew it's a lie. She has never been okay for five years.

"Totoo?" Junmyeon with genuine concern but Joohyun is a tough shell to break.

"Ano naman magagawa mo kung di ako okay?" Joohyun said before drinking her tea.

"I'll ask my dad to give you a sabbatical." He said with a shy smile. For some good reason, hindi rin niya maintindihan bakit siya may pake sa secretary ng tatay niya. It must be because of his advocacy.

"Don't you dare." Her eyes widened. "Hindi ko gusto ginagawa ko pero it does not mean ayaw ko ng pera."

"Money really runs the world." Junmyeon sighs. "Our hospital should invest on the mental health of their employees. They will not operate without people like us if we are all having fatigue and unsatisfaction to our workplace."

"I agree with you. Better mental health for employees means more efficient work and the result will be better. Sila rin makikinabang." Joohyun said. "Have you told it to your dad?"

"Of course. I have the 'I am your son' card, might as well use it for good cause." He said as if what he did is something trivial. "Gamitin naman niya minsan ang pagiging member ng board for this kind of cause."

"You did not..."

"Yes, I did. Advocacy should not stop by saying I am an advocate, it goes beyond that." Joohyun listens to him carefully. She is amazed by his genuine concern to her and how he delivers his perception. She's a Psychology graduate. She enjoys discourse and new perception.

Junmyeon is a magnetic field that draws her closer to him. They have the same wavelength which his ex fiance doesn't have. She only plan to stay with him for 30 minutes but it became hours.

"Ate Joohyun!" Their own buble were popped by that voice which belongs to broadway. She was horrified but Joohyun gave her best to smile. "Kaya pala pass ka sa barkada dinner kasi may date ka."

"Wendy, hindi date 'to." She said while smiling awkwardly. "Doc Junmyeon, this Wendy, my college friend."

"My friends would love to meet you, Doc Junmyeon." Wendy's eyes twinkle as she shakes his hand. "Are you free for the rest of the night? Hope you will join us baka ikaw na ang susi para sumama si Ate Joohyun sa dinner namin."

Joohyun looked at him pleading to say no. However, Junmyeon is not looking at her. Confidently and full of charisma, he said...

"Sure. I am very available tonight." Wendy clapped hapilly. She

2 birds with one stone; Joohyun will finally attend their barkada night; she will have a free ride.

Joohyun smiles timidly when Junmyeon looks at her. So much for gaining new friends.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 118K 65
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader β”• 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
507K 18.3K 94
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! πŸ˜‚πŸ’œ my first fanfic...
1M 34.1K 61
π’π“π€π‘π†πˆπ‘π‹ ──── ❝i just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!❞ 𝐈𝐍 π–π‡πˆπ‚π‡ jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...
1M 57.4K 36
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...