Even If It Kills Us (On hold)

By QueenTE

"I don't want you hanging around that boy, Ember. He's bad news." While following in his father's footsteps... More

Dear readers
Characters
Prologue {Edited}
Chapter One {Edited}
Chapter Two (editing)
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One {Edited}

Chapter Twenty-Four

1.6K 150 78
By QueenTE

The room was silent, Ricky standing in the corner with his cane in hand, while Katrina sat on the sofa just a couple feet away from Paisley. She had her knees pulled up to her chest, as her tears rushed down her face. Adonis sat at the bottom of the stairs, quietly. He hasn't said a word since the family meeting was called. He honestly did not know what to say. He could not even read anymore of her diary after the first entry. It was all too much.

"I'm going to ask you this one time and one time only, Paisley. Was he drugging you and forcing you to sleep with him?" Katrina asked as she looked directly at her daughter.

Paisley would not make eye contact with anyone. She was too embarrassed.

Sniffling she answered lowly, "No."

"Then why would you lie?"

"Because he lied to me. He said that he was going to divorce her but he didn't. He hurt me." Paisley said.

"If Ezra didn't rape you then who did? Who kidnapped you?"

Paisley was quiet for a moment.

"Speak up." Ricky tells her.

"His wife, Charlotte. She had someone kidnap me and she held me hostage. I barely remember anything, I just know she beat me every time that she was mad about something. I do remember her giving me medicine, several times a day. She had some other guy with her. I don't remember him touching me inappropriately, but according to the rape kit results, he did. They are still looking for him. Ezra found me, I guess, but he thought I was dead so he dumped my body in a dumpster. In a fucking dumpster." Paisley says.

Katrina and Ricky already knew about the second guy that was involved with Paisley's kidnapping. Everything else was new to their ears. Adonis on the other hand didn't know anything because they never filled him in. His parents always talked privately.

"Watch your mouth, you are already on thin ice with me." Katrina tells her.

"Then why didn't you just tell the truth? If he didn't do this to you, then why was he arrested?" Adonis asked. He was confused and was trying his best to make sense of the whole situation.

"They caught him dumping my body in the dumpster on camera, so fingers were automatically pointed at him. I thought you knew that." Paisley tells him.

"Is it anything else that I should know about?" Adonis asked.

"No. That was all they really needed. They were already on Ezra's trail. They wanted a reason to arrest him. I told them that it was Ezra because I wanted him to feel what I felt, to go through what I went through with his wife. It's his fault for leading me on, and making me love him."

"You are a fifteen year old child, Paisley! You know better. I didn't raise you to run around with grown ass men, now look what you have gotten yourself into. The Young family is dangerous. What do you think is going to happen if this gets out that you lied on Ezra? What if Ezra talks?"

Paisley remained quiet. She had not thought her lie all the way through. People that lied about being raped were getting prison sentences now. She could get in so much trouble, but she knew that her parents were not going to let that happen to her.

"He won't. Nigga's like Ezra don't believe in snitching, they believe in getting even." Ricky said.

Adonis watched as his mother looked over at his father. It was as if they were having a conversation with their eyes. Everyone knew that Ricky was right. There was no way that Ezra and his brothers were going to let it slide. They had their minds set on revenge.

Sighing, Adonis stood to his feet. Paisley was making it real hard to feel sorry for her. She had put her family in danger, and she was not even apologizing for her actions. "I'm out." Adonis tells them as he went back upstairs to his room. He had enough.

Paisley's diary was still sitting on his bed. He picked it up, and placed it on his dresser. Not long after, Paisley was knocking on his door.

"What you want?" Adonis questioned.

Paisley slightly rolled her eyes, "I know you got my diary."

"It's on the dresser." Adonis tells her as he removed his shirt, changing into another one.

"Where are you going?" Paisley asked while she watched him grab his keys.

"Don't worry about it. Get out." Adonis tells her.

Paisley studied Adonis for a second. She knew that he was mad at her for not being completely honest with them, but she didn't think that he would understand her reasoning. Without a word, Paisley left his room. Adonis closed his door before going down the stairs. His parents were still sitting there, conversing. He told them that he would be back, even though he probably wouldn't until morning.

"Where are you going?" Katrina was up on her feet, ready to jump down his throat.

Adonis raised his brow in confusion, "To see Ember."

Adonis had always been straightforward with his parents. He never hid his whereabouts from them. They felt that since he was legal, he could make his own decisions as long as they were not bad decisions.

Katrina looked over at Ricky who nodded his head. Adonis and his father already had a conversation the other night. He was taking Ember out on a special date. Just the two of them.

"Let him go, Trina. It's fine." Ricky says.

Katrina hesitated a bit before she hugged and kissed Adonis's cheek. She grabbed his face and squeezed it, "You be safe, you hear me? Don't you mention any of this to her."

"I know ma." Adonis groaned.

"Wear a condom. We don't need no more babies that's not yours!" Katrina told him before he stepped outside and closed the door.

Adonis only chuckled to himself. He had no clue how many times he had to tell her that things were not like that between him and Ember. They haven't talked about it yet, but he knew that she was waiting for the right time and Adonis was willing to wait for her.

Parking in front of Namiko's, Adonis climbed out. Ember had told her parents that she was spending the night over Namiko's house like she usually did, but instead, she would be spending the whole night with Adonis.

Before he could knock, Namiko had already opened the door. She eyes him suspiciously, "You better not let nothing happen to my best friend."

"Goodbye, Namiko." Ember says as she stepped around her to hug and kiss Adonis. She had forgotten about his ribs, and the second she hugged him tightly, he flinched, "I'm so sorry. I keep forgetting."

"You good, ma."

Ember held an overnight bag, that Adonis took, carrying it to the car. He opened the door for her, letting her climb in before he went on the other side to get in as well.

"Do you have everything? Adonis asked her.

"Yep, I made sure of it."

Adonis raised his brow at her. He knew that she would always forget something.

"Oh shit, my phone." Ember said as she climbed out.

Adonis chuckled.

Once she came back, Ember put her seatbelt on as Adonis started out on the street. The two were quiet but it wasn't awkward. Ember was busy examining their whereabouts.

"Relax." He tells her. From holding her hand, he could tell that she was a bit tense.

"Where are we going?" Ember asked.

"It's a surprise." He tells her.

Ember smiles as Adonis brings her hand up to his lips, gently kissing it. Although she was curious, she knew that Adonis always did something special for her.

Their night started off with a dinner at LA Prime. Ember had never eaten there before, and the view was perfect. They were on the top floor, and there was not many people there, so that gave them a bit more privacy to converse. After placing their drinks, the waitress lit the candle that sat on the table. Since they were not old enough to drink, the wine glasses remained empty.

Ember took her time, studying the menu, debating in her mind, trying to figure out what she wanted.

"Who in their right mind eats Oysters?" Ember asked.

"My parents. They always try to get me to taste Oysters whenever we go out, but seafood is not really my thing." Adonis tells her.

"Oh thank God, I hate seafood." Ember says.

Adonis chuckles, "The smell, it's ridiculous."

"Tell me about it." Ember agreed.

After ordering, Ember continued their conversation, "Have you decided yet? College or Pro?"

Adonis nodded, "I told them both. I can work around my schedule but if I can't, I'll drop boxing just until I finish school."

"Major?"

"Sports science and leisure management. If pro boxing doesn't work too well for me, I would love to coach younger boys like me." Adonis explained.

Ember nodded, "That's really good. Honestly, I see you out there, and I see how passionate you are about boxing. You are a beast. I know that you are going to go far. Never doubt yourself. Wait, what college are going to?"

"I don't want to move too far away, so I applied to colleges in California. I guess which ever one that accepts me." Adonis tells her.

"I agree. I applied for surrounding universities too. I mean, all of my family is here, and I don't think that I could handle being too far away from them. Especially Justin." Ember says. She would be graduating in a few months, and she hated to leave Justin alone at that school. People could be so heartless.

Their waitress placed their food down on the table in front of them and Ember thanked her.

"You're still going to medical school, right?"

"Yes, hopefully."

Adonis's phone vibrated, he only glanced at it before flipping it over, putting his focus back on Ember.

She raised his brow at him, "You're not going to answer?"

"Nah, not important." Adonis tells her.

It was Sasha. Ever since last night, she had been begging Adonis for money, constantly blowing up his phone. She was starting to become annoying. Sasha sent him a long text, asking for money because she was about to get evicted from her apartment and she had no help. Maybe he's coldhearted, but after Sasha dissed him, he didn't feel sorry for her. Adonis knew that was not the problem, she wanted money for her own benefit.

Sasha's mother would never let them be out on the street. She would welcome Sasha and Jr back with open arms. There was so much shade being thrown at Adonis on Sasha's social media just because she was in a new relationship.

Things obviously wasn't going too well in it if she had to beg Adonis for money. The shade was uncalled for, because there were a lot of things that Adonis could possibly expose her for, but he was not that type of man. He would rather just move on and ignore the bullshit.

Letting it go, Ember started up another conversation, while they ate their food. They spent almost an hour at the restaurant before deciding to leave. Adonis had something else planned for her, so they didn't call it a night yet.

He pulled her quickly through an Empty parking lot towards a building.

"Where are you taking me, now?" Ember asked confusedly.

"You'll see, we almost there."

He led her inside, where there were two helicopters sitting in the building. Ember examined them. One had Ricky's name spelled out in cursive, while the other had Adonis's name.

"Ayo, uncle Rahman." Adonis called.

"This one is yours?" Ember asked as she examined the black helicopter.

"Yeah, pops got it for me."

"Adonis, what you doing out here?" Rahman asked as he greeted his nephew with a hug.

"Uncle Rahman, this is Ember and Ember this is my uncle Rahman." Adonis introduced.

Ember shyly greeted him with a handshake.

"Remember you said that you'll give me that helicopter ride? Are you free tonight?" Adonis asked. He had asked his uncle for the helicopter ride on homecoming night, for him and Ember, but things didn't go as planned.

Rahman glanced over at Ember. He hesitated a bit, before he answered, "Give me a second. Start it up." Rahman threw Adonis the keys.

"Come on, Em."

Ember nervously followed Adonis to the helicopter. She stood there, awkwardly for a moment. There were a few things that she were afraid of in this world. Bugs and animals were number one, and heights came in next.

"Bae, what's wrong?" Adonis asked.

Ember looked away, embarrassed.

"Don't tell me that you are afraid of heights. First spiders and now heights?"

"Sorry."

"We got you, I promise. My uncle has been flying helicopters and airplanes all of is life." He assured her.

Ember took his hand, letting him help her inside. When she first met Adonis, she always had the feeling that she could trust him with anything. Adonis started the helicopter up before he sat in the seat beside her. He gave her a pair of headphones, before helping her strap in.

It didn't take long for Rahman to join them. Ember took Adonis's hand as the helicopter started to move. The second the lifting started, Ember closed her eyes, tightly. She was afraid to open them, because she knew that they were way too high up. The feeling in her stomach, she wanted to cry.

"Em, open your eyes." Adonis chuckled.

Listening to Adonis, she slowly opened her eyes. They darted over the city lights, and although she still had the feeling in her stomach, she was in awe.

"It's so beautiful." Ember said.

They were up so high, that she could see the whole city. The lights were bright, and colorful. She had never seen her city like this before and she was amazed. From where they were, she could see the staples center and the cars looked like ants.

"I swear if you were not here, I would have never got on this." Ember said.

"It's not so bad is it?" Adonis asked.

"No, not at all."

After their adventurous night, Adonis took Ember back to the room that he had purchased, since she was tired and wanted to sleep.

It was almost one in the morning and Adonis's phone was still ringing. He wanted so badly to turn it off but he knew that his mother would be calling to check up on him.

Adonis went to his call log and blocked Sasha's number. It was a shame that she called him when she needed money. When he was taking care of Jr, she would call him just to start up an argument.

Adonis swore that the best thing that he had ever done was moved on with his life. He didn't have to deal with Sasha, ever.

Pulling the covers back, he climbed into the bed with Ember who was fast asleep. He pulled her towards his chest. Ember stirs a bit, making herself comfortable in his arms.

This had been one of the most relaxing nights they have ever had.

~

Applying her lip-gloss, Ember stood in the mirror in the girls bathroom at school. It was one of those days that she felt annoyed, since it was that time of the month.

This morning she put on a pair of nude colored sweats and a matching T-shirt that she had got from misguided. Her natural hair was pulled back into a ponytail. She wished that she could just go home, stuff her face with snacks while watching reruns of one on one.

Voices sounded as the bathroom door opened. Just one glance, she saw that it was Madison and Paisley. Ember had no clue when the two started hanging together, but she saw them around school together, a lot.

Ember started placing her things back inside of her purse. She didn't want to be in the same room as the two of them. She knew that Paisley was a liar, and Madison is a racist.

"Ember." Madison spoke up as Paisley went inside of one of the stalls.

Ember didn't say anything. She got one last look at herself in the mirror before turning on her heel to leave. She knew that Adonis was waiting for her outside of the girls bathroom. Her parents thought that she stayed at Namiko's this weekend, but she didn't. She came to school with Adonis.

"Ember, wait, please." Madison begged.

She turned to Madison, examining her. Madison's belly was protruding out. She wasn't that far along yet, but she was starting to show more and more each day.

"Can we talk?" Madison asked.

Rolling her eyes, Ember turned again, starting towards the door.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have spoke on something I didn't know about." Madison blurted.

"Ember!" Namiko called as she poked her head inside of the bathroom. Her eyes landing on Madison's.

She was desperate. Desperate to get her friendship back, but neither Namiko, or Ember were accepting her apologies. Hanging with Paisley was cool and all, but it was nothing like having her real friends. They understood her. She had gotten pregnant and her parents were embarrassed by her since they were church going people.

Her mother treated her as if she was just a homeless person on the street. Tyrell was back at school now, but he pushed her away every chance he got. Madison's eyes watered as she looked at the two of them. She had no one to vent her feelings to, so she felt alone. Madison just wanted her friends back.

Namiko rolled her eyes, long and hard, "This bitch." She mumbled.

Madison took Ember's hand, "Ember."

Instead of looking at her, Ember's eyes were trained on the cuts that were on Madison's wrists. They were going up her arms. Madison quickly dropped Ember's hand, trying to hide what Ember had already saw.

"What are you doing to yourself?" Ember asked her.

Madison didn't say anything, she looked away in embarrassment.

Ember was starting to feel bad, but before she could say anything else, the bell rang and Namiko quickly pulled her out of the bathroom. Adonis was still standing, leaning on the wall, waiting.

"I'm sorry, I took so long." Ember tells him.

Adonis hovered over her, "You good."

"Ember, I just know you were not talking to that hoe." Namiko blurted.

"Namiko, please. What were you talking to Tyrell about in the hallway?" Ember asked. She was tired of Namiko jumping down her throat as if she were her mother.

"If you must know, Tyrell tried talking to me, and I was telling him to leave me alone." Namiko says.

Ember squinted her eyes. She knew what she saw. Namiko and Tyrell shared a hug. Adonis even saw it himself, and it kind of bugged him, "Whatever, Namiko, I got to get to class. See you in second period."

Adonis wrapped his arms around her, leaning down to passionately kiss her. Once he pulled away, he looked into her eyes, "See you later?"

Ember nodded, and smiled, "See you later."

Ember went the opposite way towards her class, leaving Adonis standing there with Namiko, who rolled her eyes at him.

"Namiko, do me a favor and let my boy know something before he get in too deep. Breaking his heart ain't something you want to do." Adonis warns her.

"Mind your business, Adonis and tend to Ember."

Namiko pushes him out of the way, stepping around him, and started in the direction towards her class.

No matter how much Adonis wanted to get along with Namiko because of Ember, he couldn't. From day one, he knew that Namiko was not a real friend to her.

On his way to class, Adonis bumped into Damien. Usually there would be a mug on Damien's face, but it wasn't.

"Hey man, can I chat with you real quick?" Damien asked.

"What's up?"

Damien thought for a second, "I don't want no bad blood with you or your people. I'm sorry about homecoming night with Paisley, I was drunk and everything just got out of hand. Ember is more like a sister than a cousin, and she doesn't want us beefing. I'm cool if you cool."

Damien held out his hand, waiting for Adonis to slap hands with him. Adonis studied him for a moment. He didn't know if Damien was on some bullshit or not. He clenched and unclenched his jaw. It took a lot for Adonis to forgive anyone, but since it was for Ember, he would be cordial but he didn't plan on becoming best friends with that nigga.

Adonis slapped hands with Damien, "Coo."

Paisley is finally telling the truth.

Namiko, cheating?

Madison?

Not Damien apologizing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

244K 12.7K 42
Nico Chavez doesn't get lucky breaks. He's from the roughest part of Boston and has been dealt a shitty hand. With two younger sisters to care for an...
174K 5.3K 36
[COMPLETE] Lydia and Dustin share the fact that they are boxers. However, the two lead very different lives. Lydia Dunst was raised in the life of bo...
45K 1.7K 34
[COMPLETE] Eddie & Le have been friends for well over a decade. Best friends, in fact. However, like all things, feelings change and Eddie's feelings...
25.1K 526 46
Camilla Carter has had a rough life of abuse and pain. Her twin sister protects her as much as she can, until she can't. Keaton Woods, a boxing fight...