King of Locusts | ✔

Galing kay Aegys-Athena

Lunan Frost was accustomed to the unusual, having been raised by witches for parents that fervently worship t... Higit pa

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Epilogue
The Priestess & The Wizard Part 1
The Priestess & The Wizard Part 2
Gadreel's Fall

Chapter 14

2 0 0
Galing kay Aegys-Athena

Despite her concerns, Elena held her tongue for a while. Despite Lunan decreasing the frequency at which they spent time together with little warning, she offered no complaint. Even as she saw her best friend change before her eyes, Elena held firm. At least, she did until she couldn't take it anymore.

As Elena spent more time with less close friends to make up for her loneliness, she would get lost in thought about her distant best friend. She would recall their first encounter, remembering the shyness in his mismatched eyes. She remembered the years it took for her to get Lunan to accept himself and fully embrace his magic; so seeing Lunan's regression under Azrah's influence broke her heart. Elena didn't understand why he chose Azrah over her. Gone was his interest in spellwork. He would instead drone on about the dangers of magic and how wielding it without the divine in mind was sinful. Given the numerous witches in Elena's family that fled persecution from people who held similar thoughts, she was not appreciative of Lunan's new outlook.

The final straw came when they were at Elena's house for once. It was the first time they had seen each other outside of school in two weeks, and she wanted to make the most of it. They finished their homework together and shortly after Elena's mother brought the pair apple slices with peanut butter.

Elena floated a slice towards her, smiling triumphantly as she caught it between her teeth. She noticed Lunan's disappointed glance before closing her eyes to indulge in the flavor. He quickly looked away, but Elena wasn't going to let the moment pass idly.

"Did I do something wrong?" she asked.

"No," he denied.

She stared at him defiantly, willing him to speak truthfully.

"It's just...must you use your magic so recklessly?"

"What?"

"Magic is a gift that we're blessed with. It should be used for a higher purpose in ways that benefit the world. Not to levitate food towards your mouth," Lunan scoffed.

Elena snapped her mouth closed and felt her cheeks warm. "Seriously, Lunan? Do you hear what you're saying?"

His eyes narrowed. "What are you implying?"

"You sound just like Azrah. Look, it's fine to broaden your perspective and understand the ways people view magic, but don't you see that you're putting yourself down in the process? Do you remember when you used to be so nervous and how much you hated your own abilities? Did you forget me showing you how awesome magic can be? I'm worried about you these days."

She put her hand on his shoulder, but drew it back when he violently flinched. She turned her face from him so that he couldn't see her glassy eyes.

"What's gotten into you?" she whispered as he glared at her.

"Nothing. I'm finally seeing what's right for once," he seethed. "So much of humanity's pain and suffering would have been avoided if we used our abilities for a higher purpose instead of falling to selfishness."

Elena took a deep breath and attempted to deescalate. "I can see where you're coming from, but to err is human, Lunan. Free will is important, and people have the right to do what they want with themselves, for better or worse."

Her words sounded wrong to Lunan now that he had come to understand Azrah's furor. People shouldn't be free because they couldn't be trusted to make proper decisions. Freedom only led to tragedy and loss. Why couldn't Elena see it?

"Humans shouldn't have free will," he said darkly. "We're ignorant, arrogant creatures. If we just did as told, if my parents just did as told, they wouldn't have—"

"Lunan, stop!" Elena yelled. "Don't you dare say it! Your parents died protecting you, and you know that."

"They were foolish to attempt fighting an angel."

Elena snorted, but she was not amused. She blinked hard against the tears welling in her eyes and was dismayed at the hard look in Lunan's.

"The only foolish decision they made was not telling you more about your heritage. My family didn't flee a conservative backwater just for me to be chewed out by my best friend who should know better. I really think you should spend less time with Azrah. She's warping your mind."

"I know who is and who isn't good for me. Who has shown me the light, and who led me astray," he said harshly.

Elena looked him dead on, not bothering to hide the tears sliding down her cheeks.

"You were always impressionable, Lunan, but I didn't think you'd be so willing to let go of yourself. We've been friends for years, and you're tossing me to the side because what, you both have destructive magic? Give me a break. I didn't realize how clueless you could be."

Lunan's eyes flashed and his anger flared. He embraced it, allowing it to resonate outward and manifest as a hot air that surrounded his body. Elena immediately sensed the shift in energy and put a barrier around herself. She stared at him with wide eyes.

"You're threatening me?" She couldn't hide the shock in her voice.

"I'm tired of hearing your bullshit," he spat, glaring at her.

Refusing to show him the sting of his words, Elena said, "I'm not going to let you insult me in my own home. Get the fuck out of my house, Lunan," and pointed to her door.

She didn't look at him as he left the room. She heard the terse exchange between Lunan and her mother, and only started the sob in earnest when the click of the front door closing sounded through her home.

They hadn't spoken since then. One would never think Elena and Lunan were once close friends for how coldly they treated one other. They didn't speak to each other in the lectures they shared, and resolutely avoided looking at the other when they went to their lockers. Lunan seemed to be holding up fine, but the distance beat on Elena's soul. They never had a real fight before and rarely argued. She wasn't sure how to handle it, and so she consulted her mother.

"These kinds of things happen, mija," Maria said to her. "You should be talking again soon."

Elena brightened until her mother added, "However, there is always the possibility that your opinions on magic have differed to the point where you can no longer be friends. If that's the case, you have to accept it."

But Elena wouldn't accept it. She knew that something was wrong and who was responsible. She refused to watch Lunan lose his way while she could still do something about it.

This thought led Elena to visiting Lunan's house one Saturday afternoon. She knew that Lunan would be out with Azrah, as he had formed a habit of spending his weekends with her. Her breath shook when she stood at the door of his imposing mansion, but a subtle warmth on her right shoulder calmed her.

"Gracias, Bellara," she whispered, then grasped the heavy doorknocker.

Gabriel's surprised face greeted Elena a few moments later.

"Hi, Elena," he said. "Lunan's not here right now."

She sighed.

"I know," she said. "I'm actually here to talk to you."

His gaze turned knowing.

"Come on in. I'll make some tea."

She sat in the living room, impatiently tapping her fingers against her thigh while she waited for Gabriel to return with two cups of Earl Grey. She mumbled a thanks while he settled on the couch opposite of her.

"What brings you here, Elena?" Gabriel asked.

"It has to do with Lunan."

"I figured as much. You haven't been over in a while. Are you guys having trouble?"

Elena stared into her tea.

"Yeah, you could say something like that."

"Do you want me to talk to him about it? I could mention that you stopped by today."

She shook her head. "I don't know if that would help."

Gabriel frowned. "Then, what would you have me do?"

She set the teacup on the table and stood up. Another sigh.

"I think it's best if I just show you what we're dealing with," she said.

Gabriel shrugged and gave permission to proceed.

"Bellara, come forth," Elena ordered.

After a moment, the sprite materialized above Elena's shoulder, her bright glow filling the room. Elena reached into her bag for the dried flowers she brought and whispered an incantation as they breathed new life.

"Lunan has been keeping a secret from you. He practices magic, and so do I. I'm a witch, as are most of my family members. He's been spending a lot of time with a witch named Azrah, but she's warping his mentality to the point where I wonder if she's trying to use him for something. We had a major argument about her influence over him and we haven't spoken since," she said, gauging his reaction as he stared at the fairy over her shoulder. "I know this is a lot to take in, but please don't be afraid. I just thought you should know what's happening to your ward."

A smile graced Gabriel's face in spite of the concern in his eyes. Elena frowned.

"You're taking this a lot better than I expected," she said.

"That's because I have also been keeping secrets, Elena," he said. His eyes shone in amusement. "Perhaps I should just show you as well."

Elena gave an unsteady nod, and Gabriel finally dropped his glamour.

"Angelus!" Bellara whispered in alarm. "Shield your eyes!"

Elena covered her eyes a moment before a bright light flared through the living room. She felt Bellara trembling at her shoulder and kept her gaze averted.

"Uncover your eyes, Elena. I won't hurt you or the sprite," Gabriel said.

She slowly lowered her hand and gasped at what she saw.

The first thing she noticed were the wings. The appendages were massive and spanned across the living room. She then saw that his skin had paled considerably, and that his eyes shone with a wicked claret hue. He was clothed in black armor, and the air around him radiated with power.

"You're an angel?" Elena asked incredulously. "What are you doing on Earth and why are you guarding Lunan? Are you really the angel Gabriel?"

"Calm, Elena," Bellara hissed despite the tremble in her wings.

"I concur with the fairy, but I will answer your questions.

"I'm Fallen. It's a long story. Lunan is...an important piece to a certain tale, and I think his new friend knows that. He's free to make his own decisions, but not while she is manipulating him."

"A tale? You're saying Lunan is part of some kind of spell or prophecy? Please don't say that," Elena blurted. Her legs grew shaky with the realization that she was way in over her head. She sat back down on the plush chair.

He gave her a knowing look, and Elena released another sigh.

"I never realized how right I was when I said that Lunan was something special. I'm glad that we're on the same page concerning him. I'm sorry for prying, but when did the angel Gabriel fall? What were you up to since the biblical days?"

He chuckled, his wings shaking with the movement.

"He would probably be upset if he knew I was borrowing his name like this. I'm not Gabriel, although he is one of my relatives, and our names are close enough that I could adopt his without slipping up. My true name is Gadreel. I was the Watcher of War, Lucifer's lover, and the serpent that tempted Eve."

"Holy shit."

Gadreel's eyes danced with amusement.

***

Author's note: We're fast approaching the end of the story! I'd love to know your thoughts on this recent revelation *chuckles.* Comments and votes are always appreciated.

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

96 13 6
A girl forfeited by fate, she finds herself in ruins after the legacy is whispered. How much Sienna has to suffer to keep her sister safe ? A rumour...
90.8K 3.2K 50
We have been on the run for days now. The safety of my children is my priority. I was betrayed in the worst way, and I could not watch him hurt us an...
2.5K 106 14
She was different than all the others in her Pack. She was the only one she knew of her kind alive. No family, No friends. Will, she ever show her tr...
4.4K 227 52
This is book two of the series. The Fate of The Luna is the first book. This is not a stand alone book. You will need to read book one. The same warn...