Victorious ⏆ Finnick Odair

By ridethehippogriff

History is written by the victors, so Nastasia Caso became one. She was 16 when she won the 68th hunger games... More

Victorious
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4

Chapter 5

196 13 7
By ridethehippogriff

__________

The victors ball seemed to linger in more ways than one as a snowstorm washed chillingly into district 2 the following week. Since it, Nastasia and Theseus had returned home. The peacekeeper regiment in 2 had called in a mandatory training period, doubtlessly as a response to the rising disturbances throughout the districts, and she had affairs to take order of.

The cold winter air had whipped harshly at her skin as she'd brushed off the snow and set flowers at her fathers grave. She hadn't cared, if harsh weather meant less prying eyes she'd welcome the blizzard to sweep the entire district.

It had been 6 years ago now that Marius Caso had died in a tragic accident. Most of district 2 knew the story. A training exercise at the peacekeeper barracks gone wrong after a unstable recruit had opened fire, killing an officer and themselves. Only, Nastasia knew that wasn't the whole story.

President Snow had come to her about a year after she won the games with a proposition. She'd already been working as a spy for him for a number of months but she wanted more, she wanted power and he recognised that. So he'd made her an offer. His right hand in exchange for one murder, a district 2 official he'd wanted dead for leaking secrets to a group of rebels. Nastasia had taken the job. It had been child's play to plant rumours of a mentally unstable cadet, sneak into a one-to-one training session and stage a murder come suicide. Only to find out hours later, the rebel sympathiser, he'd turned out to be her father.

Snow had known, obviously, exactly who the traitor had been. He'd tricked her into killing her father as a trap, baiting her to reveal her loyalties and at the same time creating an insurance against her. She'd been growing too influential for his liking and he needed to both test and have her in his pocket. Murder in all its forms, he had found to be the best blackmail.

Marius Caso had never been a loving parental figure, not in the ways that mattered. Her mother had been the cold, calculated one who Nastasia had hated with a burning passion, but her fathers absence, that had hurt worse than anything her mother had hurled at her.

So when it was revealed he was the traitor, the blow had been deadening. She'd killed a man who had abandoned her, forgotten her, left her to the mercy of a childhood in district two, destined to compete for her life in the hunger games. A shadow of a man who had turned traitor to everything he had ever once told her. But still, he had been her own father.

A feeling as close to guilt as Nastasia would dare admit had gnawed in her mind since then. The actions she had once rejoiced in and performed willingly for her president had twisted into one never-ending curse. She'd spent months, then years, searching to find out what had caused her father to turn sides. To no avail. In death he was just as vacant as ever.

She hated him, even if the flowers revealed otherwise.

The years passed had ironically led her back to the rebellion, a way to claw power against those who threatened her, and to Theseus who had appeared punctually at her door at 6pm in time for the live quarter-quell broadcast.

Nastasia was a social creature through and through and grew bored by herself. When the rebellion had mentioned stationing her half brother at their home barracks, just walking distance from the victors village, she'd invited Theseus round to watch the broadcast. She was highly aware that he was likely just a spy Coin and others were using to watch her but she couldn't deny the intrigue that surrounded her half brother.

He looked eerily like a youthful version of Marius on the sofa as Nastasia watched him, plating up a platter of seafood for their supper.

She pushed away the thought as she crunched on a piece of crab.

"People of Panem, welcome to the third Quarter Quell declaration!"

The air crackled as the large Capitol-installed holoscreen across from Nastasia and Theseus flickered alive and President Snow began the broadcast to the districts.

His stylists had painted him in a full face of makeup that, despite the bright studio lights, still managed to look terrifying. Thank god this Snow was merely a screen.

"As custom, every 15 years since the very first hunger games we celebrate with a special games, marking a milestone of peace in Panem."

"A milestone for his dictatorship," Theseus corrected sourly.

Nastasia scoffed in agreement.

"On the twenty-fifth anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels that their children were dying because of a choice to initiate violence, every district was made to hold an election and vote on the tributes who would represent it. On the fiftieth anniversary as a reminder that two rebels died for each Capitol citizen, every district was required to send twice as many tributes."

Snow paused briefly.

"And as we honour our third Quarter Quell, on the seventy-fifth anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels that even the strongest among them cannot overcome the power of the Capitol–"

The half-siblings exchanged a mirrored glance of confusion.

"–the male and female tributes will be reaped from their existing pool of victors."

Nastasia returned her gaze back to Theseus, eyes wide open in shock. She recalled her last meeting with Snow, his threats he'd made about Katniss Everdeen.

"The existing pool of victors," Theseus repeated. "He's going to kill off the mockingjay."

"Well fuck."

Plutarch, true to his word, had indeed created the hunger games of all games. Why he had possibly decided that this was the solution to their problems, Nastasia had yet to fathom as Theseus and her set up a comm to the rebel headquarters back in 13.

Theseus ruffled a hand through his hair. "Surely they can't actually reap victors?"

"Well, evidently, Snow dearest has decided he can."

"At least you're fine," Theseus shrugged as he tapped at the holoscreen they'd placed on the coffee table in her lounge. "They'll probably hold trials here for the volunteers like a usual games."

That was true. Contrary to the rest of the districts, district 2 due to the popularity of volunteers and esteem that the district held for them, held trials to grant their best chance at winning their games. Usually, these took place in the training academy across town. Despite the fact that victors would be reaped from pre-remaining victors there would still be high competition. To be a dual-victor, Nastasia knew of a number that would be frothing at the bit to compete for that title.

She reclined back into the sofa and propped her feet up on the table. "What makes you think I don't fancy some entertainment?"

"I know you don't like killing people, as much as you let people believe."

Nastasia suppressed a roll of her eyes. Theseus was the only individual who seemed to think that she was a good person. He was clearly wrong on that judgement.

"I think you underestimate me little brother."

He gave her an exasperated look."Half." Then smirked, "You'll finally get rid of Odair though."

She mocked a gasp. "And you think I'm the sadistic one."

The smaller holoscreen let out a beep and Theseus stepped back quickly as a hologram flittered to life. The headquarters of district 13 faced them, the war council projected around a large table.

President Coin stood up. "Nastasia, Theseus."

Nastasia slouched further into the sofa in greeting as Theseus joined her. "Well Plutarch, you certainly didn't disappoint with the theatrics," she said as Plutarch raised his mug in acknowledgement, "but I'm hoping now is where you'll all enlighten me with what the hell's going on."

Coin bristled. "Glad to see you're as polite as ever."

"I keep my manners in check just for you."

Coin ignored Nastasia's comment. "Well Heavensbee?"

Plutarch nodded in indication, taking a swig of his coffee and standing to address them. "Katniss Everdeen, as you are aware, has unknowingly become the face of the rebellion. The 'Mockingjay", after her token, a gold pin. President Snow has wanted her dead since she stepped out of the arena, but with the Capitol's adoration for the star-crossed lovers it's proven to be too much of a risk to have them assassinated outright. With the popularity that they have among his own people the risk of backlash would be far greater than an ordinary victor." Plutarch smiled. "So I suggested something with a bit more flair, and poignancy to quell the districts and make an example of Everdeen. A hunger games reaped from previous victors."

Nastasia tapped her foot impatiently. "Yes, yes, that's good and all for Snow, but how is that in any way an advantage to us? The odds are still 23/1 that she'll be murdered. Only difference is you'll be making a public spectacle of her death."

Plutarch eyes twinkled directly at Nastasia. "Not when we can have someone on the inside of the games."

Nastasia sat up.

"By reaping tributes from victors," he continued, "this games will allow us to forge a career pack to protect the mockingjay until we ultimately break her and the team out of the arena. It will act as vital propaganda and influence over the capitol and districts that are undecided on which side to choose in the upcoming war."

"And let me hazard a guess?" Theseus spoke up."You want Nastasia to lead the careers?"

It was Coin who answered. "Yes."

Well Nastasia hadn't expected that.

She interlaced her fingers on her lap as she considered the proposition, and what she could demand in return for such a task. If she was clever this could be her ticket to gaining support from general districts, something she didn't have due to her reputation as Snow's spy. Yes, this was an opportunity, and she would take full advantage of it.

She picked a piece of fluff off the sofa with her nail, as if she wasn't interested in the slightest. "Lovely plan but why would I want to volunteer in a hunger games? District 2 isn't exactly sparse in victors which would throw themselves into a fight." She arched an eyebrow. "Me, Nastasia Caso, 'Snow's victor', why would I fancy jumping into anther games? It's not exactly in character, you really think Snow would just blink his eyes at that?"

Coin exchanged a look with Plutarch. "Heavensbee has already assured us he will be able to convince Snow when the time is right that you are a necessary card he should play to take down the Mockingjay."

"He will want me to volunteer."

"Threaten you most likely," Plutarch intervened, "and you will play along as you always do Caso."

Nastasia felt Theseus watching beside her as she contemplated their requests, probably willing her to decline. She shut him out.

"Well what's in it for me?" A few of the war council let out a murmur at that and she laughed. "Please you aren't all saints, you have motives, at-least I'm upfront." She focused her gaze back on Coin. "I want an official command, in the rebel army. In writing."

Coin frowned at her. "You aren't a soldier."

Nastasia's eyes flashed. "I don't care that's what I want. Take it or leave it."

Coin studied her, commander Paylor sat a few seats down seemed to shake her head slightly, Coin was the one in charge however.

"Very well," she said finally and Nastasia let her smile spread across her face. "Of the twelve districts there are a number with only one living victor of each sex. We will start there," Coin directed. "There are two definite victors we need you to speak to. Theseus, with his connections to the peacekeeper regiments across Panem will be able to grant you access routes through the districts. We can get you two days of cover at district 2."

Nastasia nodded. "And the victors are?"

"Firstly, Joanna Mason. District 7. We need you to convince her to ally with the rebellion. As a fellow victor we agreed you would have a better chance than an agent, given how... high strung she is."

"Given she's a bitch like me."

Plutarch coughed a little too loudly to cover up a laugh.

"Given you are similarly minded, having gone through the same experiences." Coin replied.
"Secondly," she hesitated, drawing a breath. "Finnick Odair, district–"

"–Finnick!?" Nastasia scoffed loudly. "Oh you're barking up the wrong tree with that one. If you hadn't missed it, me and him don't really get along." She sneered, "I'd sooner cut out my tongue than try to persuade him to join your little bust-out-the-beloveds-brigade."

Coin glared at her. "Nastasia as much as you think all I do is plot battle formations it may surprise you that I do pay attention to the current events in Panem. So yes I am aware fully of how little you like Mr Odair. That's exactly why I want you to be the agent to brief him. I am of no doubt he will join the rebels, despite his popularity in the Capitol, you and I both know he is no supporter of Snow. No the issue here is you Nastasia."

Nastasia's eyebrows shot up with an incredulous expression. "Excuse me?"

"Whatever your issue is with him I want it resolved, before the reaping. You are the careers in these games, and alongside Joanna Mason the strongest victors we have on our side. You can kill each other after if you still desire to but 'bust-out' the mockingjay first. Got it?"

Nastasia regarded the president of district 13 through slitted eyes, before slumping back down into the sofa and raking a hand through her dark hair. It was a means to her end. She had waited this long, and this, this mission – it was going to be the one to take her all the way. She knew it.

She blinked her eyelashes and smiled.

"Crystal clear."

__________

Authors note:
I'm such a slow writer I apologise this chapter was long af and full of exposition and long speeches it took me agesssss
I have all the chapters planned out now and things are about to start picking up a bit I can't wait
Also more Finnick content coming very soon...
Thanks for reading :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 39.9K 93
𝗟𝗼𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝗲, 𝗹𝘂𝗰𝗸𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗵𝗲𝗿, 𝗔𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗿𝗲𝘀 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 �...
1M 35.5K 62
𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋 ──── ❝i just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!❞ 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...
995K 61.5K 119
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
99.2K 4.1K 49
❥❥❥ [BNHA x Fem!Reader] ❛❛𝔸𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕣𝕚𝕔𝕙𝕖𝕤 𝕓𝕒𝕓𝕪, 𝕎𝕠𝕟'𝕥 𝕞𝕖𝕒𝕟 𝕒𝕟𝕪𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘, 𝔸𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕣𝕚𝕔𝕙𝕖𝕤 𝕓𝕒𝕓𝕪...