SoKeefe One-Shots

By smiles1001

He turned towards her side of the bed, snaked his arms around her waist, and slide his leg between hers, kis... More

Sleepover
Party AU - Human AU
Party AU Part 2
Party AU Part 3
Party AU Part 4
Party AU Part 5
Talking
please don't go
The Spy - Human AU
Sneaking Around - Human AU
Music Short
Light Feeling
Secret Siren
To be a Hero
Key to my heart
Not Yours
Star Crossed
Saying Goodbye
To be okay
Ice Cream
Thursday Secrets
Jealousy
Foster Fighters
Quiet
Party AU Part 6
Time
Training
Not Him
Lighthouse
Chapter 42 - Keefe
Party AU Part 7 - Christmas Short
Initially Yours
The Conversation
Pink Priorities
Keefe's Diary
Coffee Shop - Human AU
Lighthouse: Part 2
Her Knight
Sacrifice
His Best Friend

Sit With It

5.2K 61 164
By smiles1001

(This is part two to 'Not Yours', as requested. If you haven't read it please go back a few chapters so it makes sense)

They sat there in shock facing one another as they all took in what had just happened. Sophie's deceit, Keefe's profession of love, and both of their exits had caused quite the shock of silence in the room. Had Sophie just...given up? Fitz was pacing back and forth, seething with anger, Dex stood quietly with his arms crossed. Edaline was pale and Grady looked like he was on the verge of a mental breakdown. The councilors stood there and tried to hide their surprise. Everyone needed to absorb what Keefe had just told them. 

Alina was the first to speak, "What did he mean when he said she gave up, why wasn't she talking to us?"

Fitz's head snapped up, "What the hell? Did you seriously not understand a word he said to you!"

"How did they pick you to be on the council," Dex muttered.

Alina's face turned red. She opened her mouth to defend herself but Forkle stood up and shook his head.

"I hate to say it but, Keefe may be right". He went to elaborate but Dex interrupted him.

"Oh come on," Dex said. "I know that you all hate it whenever teenagers are right about something but can't we all agree that you guys don't have any more experience fighting the Neverseen than we do. You can't disregard our opinions because of our age, being teenagers doesn't make getting killed by the Neverseen any less real. Keefe was right, we are losing Sophie. You guys control her actions, ridicule her decisions, and disregard her opinions for the very job you made her to do. If you wanted an adult to lead you through this war you never should have brought a child into it".

Fitz and Dex stood in front of the group with confidence. Forkle sighed and sat down. 

Alina went to speak again but this time a new voice joined in.

"You have to admit that we would not have gotten this far if it hadn't been for all of the kids," Grady agreed. Edaline looked at him shocked. "I mean, come on. We are supposed to be some of the smartest creatures to have ever lived and you're telling me you can't see all the progress that has been made with this group of kids alone. As a father, as Sophie's father, I can honestly say that it was terrifying to know that she was as powerful as she was at 14. She was brought into the world with no purpose other than to stop a war. She's smart, strong, capable, and we seem to forget that sometimes. They're almost all 18 now, adults! We should have noticed Sophie pulling away," he looked at Edaline. "We all should have noticed that distrust was building, not just with Sophie but with all the kids. It may not have been intentional but as long as we see ourselves as the adults in control of the situation we will lose it. As much as I don't like the idea that Sophie went to that b-no, that she went to Keefe when she needed someone to talk to, I'm glad she hasn't given up on all of us. Not yet".

Fitz smiled at Grady while Dex looked at him in awe, never before had he seen his uncle defend them so passionately, and with so many words. It had given the councilors a moment of pause but Alina still looked unconvinced. There was a silence while it looked like the councilors were having a telepathic discussion. Eventually, Bronte gave Dex and Fitz a smile before the silence was broken.

"We have decided to dismiss any misdemeanor charges against Sophie for her," he cleared his throat, "solo mission". 

Edaline smiled and hugged Grady.

Oralie stepped forward, "We have also decided that it is in our best interest, and Sophie's, to have a meeting with kids," Dex rolled his eyes. "Sorry," she retorted with a sarcastic smile, "adults, and the Black Swan to figure out a new way of moving forward that allows you all to be more involved and to be more heard. We understand how much work you have put into helping us and we need to appreciate that more. While not all of us agree," she looked at Alina, "We are going to try to do our best to move forward so communication stays open and situations like this don't come up again".

After they all nodded their heads in agreement and decided to part ways, Fitz decided to go tell Keefe and Sophie the good news while Dex handled the rest of the group that couldn't be there. While he didn't know for sure where they were, he had a general idea of where they could be. He wasn't going to lie to himself and say he was surprised to see that Keefe was dating Sophie. He had been suspicious of their getting on for a while. He had known about Keefe's crush on Sophie before Fitz himself had asked Sophie out, but to be fair everyone but Sophie knew about it too. He had been jealous of Keefe when he looked back on it. Jealous that even though Sophie had liked him at the time, it was always Keefe she went to talk to. Keefe who made her laugh. Keefe who she didn't stutter or blush at whenever she talked to him. As much as he knew he should have trusted Sophie more, he knew Sophie was unaware of Keefe's infatuation and it bothered him that she would spend her time with the guy who wanted her to love him than the guy who did. Even if that guy was his best friend. Even if Keefe was more right for her in the end.

Fitz sighed at the thought. When Sophie had dated him, granted it wasn't for long, a part of him knew it was going to end. Fitz knew that to him and Sophie, their relationship with each other was perfect on paper. Cognates, golden boy, special girl, leaders. But the actual relationship itself consisted of bad communication, wrong reactions, and ultimately immaturity on both their parts. He saw how she was with Keefe when he found out about his mom, how she never hesitated to hold him and protect him. When Keefe had gone into a coma and she stayed by his side the whole time, just like he had done for her when her inflicting was reset. They had become each other's best friends, and sometimes he wondered if that's why he wanted to stay in a relationship with her even if it wasn't going to work out. He didn't want to lose them.

By this time Fitz had already checked some of their usual places: Panacks tree, the grove, Sophie room. He knew he was avoiding going to Keefe's house because it made it real, they weren't just hanging out anymore. They were in love. The weeks after Keefe woke up, though Sophie was relieved out of her mind, it wasn't obvious that there was anything going on yet between them. He believed it happened after a particularly nasty battle, something must have happened between them that day that no one else had seen because there was a shift in their behavior. She didn't seem as nervous anymore. There was something in her eye that just said 'I'm not going to take crap from anyone anymore'. While that could have nothing to do with Keefe, he just seemed too happy for a boy whose mother turned out to be a terrorist. They wouldn't touch in public, didn't joke a much either. They had been careful, too careful. It was tipped him off at first, Sophie never used to hold back anything she wanted to say but when it came to Keefe she kept it to a minimum, a nod, eye contact. Fitz was used to seeing the look that Keefe gave her but he realized she had given it back. 

It didn't hurt to think about what that meant, not as much as he thought it would. But now, about to knock on his door, a part of him knew this was the beginning of a change. A beginning of them and not him.

When Keefe opened the door, though it took him a while and it kind of sounded like he needed to unlock it, Fitz knew Keefe was expecting his father and not him by the shock on his face. That, and the complete lack of a shirt. Keefe had opened the door only enough to see him and not the room behind. Fitz looked up, slightly embarrassed to have interrupted, and got to his point.

"Hey Keefe, I just wanted to stop by and tell you and Sophie what the Council and the Black Swan agreed on".

Keefe looked guarded, like he was trying to make a decision, when a voice rang in through from inside, "Let him in, we should hear what they had to say".

Sophie's voice sounded calm, if not a little tired. Keefe gave Fitz an awkward smile and opened the door for him to enter.

"Welcome to Casa del Hunkeyhair".

Sophie was in, what Fitz assumed to be, her pajamas. She looked at Keefe hesitantly and then went to the dresser and threw a shirt at him. 

"Aw come on Foster, everyone should appreciate my physique," Keefe smiled as he flexed his muscles at Fitz. 

He laughed, "There are 7 games of Base Quest that Biana won that would say otherwise".

Keefe huffed and unfolded the shirt to put it on. It took him a moment to realize that Sophie was wearing the shirt Keefe had been wearing earlier in a sort of pajama dress sort of way. Sophie looked at Fitz, "What did the Council want?"

Fitz explained what happened after they left and the compromise that they came to. He noticed she seemed distant as he told them, thinking they would be excited at the good news. When he finished Sophie gave Keefe a long look, a 'we are talking telepathically in private' look, but he couldn't tell what she seemed to be thinking. This moment of watching them became uncomfortable and he remembered Keefe having the same reaction when they were dating.

Oh how the tables had turned.

"What do you think about all this?" Sophie asked him. Fitz was surprised by the question.

"Oh! Well, I think it's a good start. The council... they're never going to get it right. With them it takes baby steps to get them going in the right direction, I think this is a good few steps. With the Black Swan, I think you gave them- you both, gave them a needed wake-up call. We aren't children anymore and this isn't a small fight. They need to trust us and let us lead the way when it's our turn to do so. This isn't going to fix everything but I think it's the best we've got for right now".

He knew Sophie usually had a gut feeling on these kinds of things and he hoped she wasn't so far gone as to let this offer pass. As much as the Black Swan liked to believe they have control over the situation, they needed her. And not just for her powers. 

Sophie looked back at Keefe and gave a tired smile, "I'm going to think it over, and I know you both know that I'll eventually give in but let's just keep that between us for a few days". She smiled a wider, more devious smile, "Let's let them squirm for a moment".

Keefe laughed and, after giving Fitz a hesitated look, wrapped his arms around her torso from behind to hold her while still facing Fitz. "That's my girl," he whispered.

She smiled at him and then at Fitz, "Thank you for telling us. I hope you can understand why we didn't tell you but I am sorry if anything I did hurt you, any of my words. That is never my intention, you one of my closest friends and I don't want to lose that".

"You won't," he smiled at her. "I'll need to go and tell my family everything that's happened, have a good night you guys". They waved as he made his way out the door. He smiled to himself, knowing they were happy.

---------

Wanted to say a quick Hello to everyone! Unlocked comes out next week and so here is the daily reminder not to spoil it for anyone. On that note, I will try to put warnings on any future stories that have spoilers. As always, I love hearing from you guys and I hope you are all doing well!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.2K 236 23
Sophie and Keefe only now knew that they both liked each other, especially after the kiss, but this was definitely NOT was Sophie was expecting to wa...
194K 2.9K 55
Beginning right after the latest Keepers book Unlocked, Sophie returns home to Find Grady suspiciously sad, but never in her mind could she have imag...
285K 2.9K 94
"Keefe. Even if I hadn't been unmatchable, even if Fitz and I had been on each other's match lists, I need you to know that eventually, it still woul...
48.5K 1.1K 52
[ COMPLETED AND EDITED ] AU where Keefe takes more than 4 days to wake up and Sophie doesn't know what to do. *** Dear Keefe, It's Sophie. This is...