Back to Basics

By KaylaWoods289

"I need you" Natalia 'Nat' Thorton is a strong willed ranch owner. She runs the ranch her father left her alo... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Finding Ground
Chapter 2: Protecting Her
Chapter 3: First Impressions
Chapter 4: Her Anchor
Chapter 5: Coffee
Chapter 6: Finding her Muse
Chapter 7: Reminiscing
Chapter 8: Radio Trouble
Chapter 9: Discoveries
Chapter 10: Sensual Touch
Chapter 11: I Turn to You
Chapter 12: Explanations
Chapter 13: Start of an Adventure
Chapter 15: Getting her Way
Chapter 16: Changing it Up
Chapter 17: Let Go
Chapter 18: Home
Chapter 19: Keith
Chapter 20: Finding her song
Chapter 21: Preview
Chapter 22: Julio & Naomi
Chapter 23: Bliss Before Stress
Chapter 24: Face the Music
Chapter 25: Thunder Rolls
Chapter 26: No Reception
Chapter 27:Coming Home
Chapter 28: All In
Chapter 29: Being Happy
Chapter 30: Mountains and Desires
Chapter 31: Good Morning
Chapter 32: Misunderstanding
Chapter 33: Turn on the Radio
Chapter 34: First Show Back
Chapter 35: All Mine
Chapter 36: Relocate
Chapter 37: Reflect
Chapter 38: Interview Gone Wrong
Chapter 39: Done
Chapter 40: Safely & Securely
Chapter 41: Resolve
Chapter 42: Goodbye
Chapter 43: Two More Weeks
Chapter 44: Outlaw and Storm
Chapter 45: Happy
Chapter 46: Daddy
Chapter 47: Welcome Home Princess
Chapter 48: Breaking the news
Chapter 49: My Happiness
Chapter 50: Bright Future
Chapter 51: Decisions
Chapter 52: It's Time
Chapter 53: Finally
Chapter 54: Back at It
Chapter 55: De Ja Vu
Chapter 56: Legends
Epilogue

Chapter 14: Control

4.7K 225 5
By KaylaWoods289

"Have you seen this?"

Jackson looks up from his computer to the paper that was thrown down on his desk. It's a picture of Cassie and Landon from months ago. The headline reading Lover's Scorn. He picks it up as Tate gets comfortable in the seat in front of him. His eyes focusing outside as Jackson continues to read the trash that someone wrote up. 

He tosses it down making Tate snap his attention back to him. Jackson leans back in his chair sighing loudly. His fingers coming up to rub his temples. He has been here before the sun even came up trying to control the situation. Someone obviously passed the story out but had no proof to back it up. The photos attached to this story were of them both but not anything from last night. Landon had not been released from the hospital yet luckily.

"We were expecting something to come out."

"Yes but not this quick!"

Tate says throwing his hands up before he begins to pace back and forth in front of Jackson's desk. The man obviously looks complete stressed. Jackson just sits back allowing the man to maul over his own thoughts. It is clear he needs to vent. 

"What do want to do?" Jackson says slowly still following the man. 

"I want to ring Landon's head." 

His hands coming up acting liking he is choking the air as he continues to walk. Jackson can't help but smile on amused by his boss. He finally flops back down with an unceremonious huff. Jackson looks closely and can see the clear concern for Cassie. 

"You care for her?"

Tate's eyes snap up with furrowed brows at Jackson. "Of course I do. Cassie is sensational."

"It's more than that. The way you are acting..." Jackson says leaning forward in his seat resting his elbows on the desk calculating his next words. "You care a great deal for her."

Tate doesn't say anything for a minute as his fingers drum on his leg as he continues gazing at Jackson. Jax waits patiently seeing his eyes flickering through a range of emotion before finishing on resolve. Tate visibly slouches in the seat looking down. 

"Cassie is unlike any artist I have ever worked with... and yes. I see her as family."

With that Jackson nods his head no further questions or statements on the matter to be said. Tate runs his hands down his face as he looks at the window in thought. 

"I have a plan of action"

"Let's hear it," Tate says turning his gaze back to Jackson. His eyes looking tired. 

"She needs to get away." Tate crosses his arms waiting for him to elaborate. "She is still working on her next album and this story exploding isn't going to help. Allow her to get away will help her creative mindset and possibly find new inspiration."

"And what about the interviews she had planned?"

Jackson shrugs a shoulder as he picks up a pen twirling it in his fingers. "We can state she is currently away for personal reasons and reschedule."

"And the story?" Tate raises and eye brow. 

"We both know that once Landon gets released, he is going to spin the story no matter what. I say we make a press release. They will only be able to speculate for so long."

Tate threads his fingers together over his stomach as he goes deep in thought. Jackson sits quietly studying his face and his reaction. A slow nod begins as Tate seems to have agreed with him. 

"You're right"

Jackson gives one head nod before picking up the article and tossing it into the trash can. His eyes turning back to Tate who seems to be studying him now. 

"What?"

"You seem.." Tate trails off momentarily deciding on the right word as he tilts his head. "different."

"Don't know what you mean."

Tate leans forward now remembering more details about last night. "Wasn't there another woman at Cassie's house last night?"

Jackson stiffens momentarily before bending his neck as if to stretch it. Tate's eyes twinkling with amusement. "Yes"

"You never did mention how you came to what was happening."

Now it was Jackson's turn to pause momentarily before sighing. "I had a date yesterday evening with a woman... She ended up being a very close friend to Cassie."

A chuckle escaping Tate's lips at the clear discomfort his agent was showing. His face even turning a slight pink. "And what's the name of this woman?"

"Natalia Thornton... but she goes by Talia." His eyes looking back to his computer as if focusing on anything other than this conversation. 

"My... my." Jackson's eyes shooting to Tate. The man holding an amused smile on his lips. "You're very smitten with her."

Jackson just looks back to his computer for two reasons. 1) He knew it was true and 2) He couldn't lie to Tate. Just the thought of her brings his mind back to many beautiful images of her. The feeling of her soft lips upon his own. His mind going elsewhere is only brought back as another chuckle escapes from the man in front of him. 

"Tell Cassie to come here before she starts her time away."

Jackson gives a single head nod as the man stands up still chuckling under his breath. His amusement far to evident but Jackson could feel his own smile as he pulled out his phone to text his lady. He goes to lock his screen when an incoming call makes him sigh. 

"Yep"

He says not even bothering to greet the piece of shit on the phone. 

"Jackson my boy!"

His dad slur speech comes through the phone. Jackson leans back in his chair slouching. It has been years since his mother passed. His dad went into a downward spiral with the loss of her. His favorite addiction seems to be in the form of liquor. He only seems to call on Jackson when he needs money. 

"Can't talk, I got-"

"Hey now you listen here-"

His father raises his voice thinking that will stop Jackson. Clicking the end button. He closes his eyes as the familiar ring comes through his phone. He ignores it and silences his phone. Setting it aside, he can't help but rub his hands down his face. He sits like that for some time before returning to his computer. Making a few calls to check in on his other clients. The two authors were do splendidly and were on pace for their works. An actor who was currently recovering from an accident reported he was doing fine. That left him with Cassie. His eyes drifting to the story in the trash bin. 

Knock Knock

"Come in"

Tate's assistant, Stacy, sticks her head in the door. "Boss man is requesting you in his office."

Jackson nods his head powering down his computer before following Stacy. Instinctively locking his office before going out. Stacy leads him directly to Tate's door before doing a knock and hearing a 'come in' before opening the door for him. He finds Tate sitting back in his chair with a genuine hearty smile on his lips. 

"You look happy?" Jackson says sitting down in the seat in front of him. His head thrown off as a familiar scent wafts in the air. Tate nods his head while crossing his fingers on his stomach. 

"I am. I just met with Cassie and your Ms. Talia Thornton." Jackson's wandering eyes snap to him making Tate's eyes twinkly with delight. Jackson then focuses all his attention on the man. "I can see why she has you so intrigued."

Jackson leans back in the seat crossing his arms and looking out the window. Tate bust out laughing at his mannerism before sobering up and clicking something on his keyboard before turning his computer. Jackson's eyes turning to the monitor. On it is an article with a clear photo of Natalia and some man, he presumes it to be the brother Keith. 

"She is famous in her own right it seems." Tate turns back the computer before continuing. "Her Ranch is the 3rd highest gross ranch in the south."

His words holding praise as he continues mumbling reading through the article while Jax just sits there. He knew that she was successful... just never knew how much. After a moment, Tate turns to him with an impressed look on his face. 

"She's a ringer"

"She definitely is... something" He says as his mind once has a picture of her sitting on the couch with her dark locks falling around her sun kissed skin. Shaking his head he looks back to Tate. The man looking at him with a knowing smile. "I have spoken with my other clients. They will be fine for some time."

"About that" Tate says smacking the top of his desk before pointing to Jackson and standing up. "I think I am going to give Weston to one of the other associates. You can keep Tansy and Rangle since they are almost done with their books."

Jackson stands up following Tate to the window. Both men peering down at the streets below where a horde of paparazzi continue to sit. "Any reason Weston is being taken away from me?"

"He will be back to filming soon and would need you constantly. I want you to focus on Cassie. The authors don't need much attention until their books are published."

Jackson nods his head in understanding and isn't too upset about loosing Weston. He was easy enough to work with but Tate's right. They require constant attention when filming. He would rather focus on Cassie. 

"You ready to go down there?" Jackson whips his head over to Tate in confusion. "Don't give me that look. This is your plan. Let's do it." 

Patting his shoulder, he turns on his heel and begins heading for the door. Jackson curses under his breath but follows regardless. Tate telling Stacy to hold all calls until he returns. She nods her head and goes back to her work as they both get into the elevator. Jackson straightens out his suit as he prepares for the shark frenzy they are walking into. Tate allows Jackson to lead out the door where he watches every reporter rush to them. Both men standing there as questions begin getting tossed at them. 

Mr. Marx, is it true Cassie Lyndel was assaulted?

Did Landon truly attempt to murder Cassie?

Landon is said to be hospitalized, did Cassie cause this?

Tate holds up his hand signaling everyone to silence. They do so as he steps aside allowing Jackson to step forward. Clearing his throat he begins. 

"An incident has occurred with Cassie Lyndel. As of right now, she will not be making any statements. We are still looking into-"

Was Landon Bounds involved?

Jackson takes a breath trying to not blow up on the reporter. Tate puts a hand on his shoulder sensing his ticking time bomb. 

"Former agent, Landon Bounds was involved and we are still unaware of what exactly occurred. We will state that Cassie is okay and right now would like to be left alone."

Does Landon Bounds no longer work for Marx Records?

"He does not and will not return to Marx Records. His past record speaks for itself and Marx Records will not associate with someone like him."

Jackson was surprised to hear him speak like this. Glancing over he can see Tate's fist are tight at his side however his face remains to be the epitome of calm and collected. Jackson steps back in. 

"All of us hear at Marx Records only want what is best for Cassie Lyndel and will support her through her upcoming record. Thank you for your time."

With that he nods his head once and turns on his heel along with Tate. Both strolling back into the office as the reporters continue to yell questions out. Getting into the elevator, Jackson loosens his tie while Tate stands rigid. He is sure some of the questions got to Tate. It's in moments like this he can see why working for Marx Records was the right choice. He talks a great deal about selling the client but he truly cares for them... especially Cassie. 

DING

Jackson pulls his phone out to see a message that makes him snort. Tate turns with a raised brow before turning the phone making him smile as well. 

Natalia (11:52 AM) Ready to go?

Tate chuckles shaking his head before a small smile tugs at his lips. The elevator dings signalling the arrival of their floor. Before he can step out Tate turns stopping him. 

"You heard the lady... Get!"

He pushes the ground button before stepping out leaving Jackson with wide eyes. A chuckle soon escaping as he makes his way back to familiar brunette. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

513 9 50
Carolina goes home to her family ranch in Texas for the summer from college. She is expecting a fairly peaceful summer minus her daily arguments with...
31.6K 797 56
the real struggles of Hayley and Annie's life. If you use my ideas please give credit No hate Feel free to leave ideas in the comments
144 29 11
Mae has a life. A good one. She has a best friend, and a nice job and a nice house and a nice car. But nice has never been enough, when she once had...
86.4K 4.4K 48
Mare Pike. She sticks to the shadows of her prestigious private school. It's easier that way. Easier to hide a part of herself that no one can know a...