Budding Hope

By thatguitarchick99

Ten years ago, Maria was left an orphan, her family slaughtered and her home planet burnt to a barren rock. H... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty Two - Epilogue

Chapter Twenty One

41 2 0
By thatguitarchick99

Chapter Twenty One

Sam

It's been two months, 19 days and I've finally pinpointed the other's location; a coastal mining town in North Queensland Australia. I sag into the swivel desk chair at the thought of the fourteen hour long plane trip ahead of us; lovely. I've never been to Australia. After Logan and I left China we stayed only in the Americas; North America a majority of the time.

The past two months have been spent training and practicing, preparing for the obvious battles to come. Watching the kids fighting has given me some hope. They are keen and willing that's for sure, but can a bunch of teenagers really protect an entire planet when faced against a race that was breed for war? Only time will tell.

I shut down the identification system I'd run through the Australian town's security data and open up my latest mapping software. I type in the location and search through the list of town names until my curser rests on the correct one, Mackay. The computer zooms in on a large white house with a high pitched aluminium roof. I bring the page down to street view. The yard is manicured and beautiful gardens line the wooden post and rail fence that edges the entire of the property. Several cattle graze in a nearby paddock and across the road a field of sugar cane stands straight as arrows frozen in the satellite's photograph. The house itself is a classical Queenslander home; built off the ground with a carport underneath. Now that I have a closer view I can see that the paint on the outside of the house is peeling and worn from the constant battering of the coastal weather and the harsh sun. Leaves and twigs fill the house's gutters from several large mango and paperbark trees growing alongside a thin and winding creak. The creek is dry and dusty and I remember that in Australia it is still at the end of winter, meaning no rain for a little while yet. The creek's usual flow path is clearly marked from the back of the property, running down to the gutters alongside the road. I roll my chair away from the desk and rub the sleep from my eyes. The computer's clock reads 2am. I had been too engrossed in hacking into the Mackay city council security that I'd not noticed how late it was. I catch the elevator downstairs and traipse to my bedroom, trying to shut the door behind me as quietly as possible so as to not wake the others.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The next morning brings excited expressions and hopeful chatter when I tell the residents of the bunker about my late night find. Everyone other than me stands to attention, speaking excitedly about the obvious trip overseas. Strangely enough no-one else has ever been to the land down under either. I temporarily push aside the nervous fluttering in my stomach that has been hanging around all too often. Everything will be fine. Well unless the other Synthiens think we are Eilnardian spies and try to kill us. I shiver at the thought; together we can become great enemies to any foe but I would dread to see the damage we could cause each other. Because of the lessened gravitational pull on Earth we are much stronger than humans and all of us are gifted with extraordinary abilities; abilities that can be used as dangerous weapons. I pick up my glass of water from the bench top in front of me and take a sip, swirling the water around in my mouth several times before swallowing. I developed my abilities at the age of sixteen, considerably late compared to most of my peers. When I had discovered that I could manipulate water in near any way I wanted though, my fellow students and friends put aside their taunting names and regarded me with a new respect. Power over the elements, although fairly common, was considered a very useful ability. Several millennia ago when our race was still in its primitive form our abilities sole purpose had been to help us survive. Modern advancements though had brought about hundreds of new and economical ways to use our powers; aiding the development of our society. Synthiens who developed more advanced abilities such as elemental control or great strength were expected to provide towards jobs that corresponded with their abilities. When I left Doloris Engineering School for the Gifted, I had wanted to become an inventor but because of my ability to manipulate water it was encouraged, even pushed for me to become a pilot, work with the city's watering systems or the large pleasure ships that sail our waters; sailed our waters. The prospect of living the rest of my life in the city horrified me at the time, although I now regret that feeling. There is a lot I would give up for the chance of my home to be whole once more. I had no interest either for the wide and never ending expanse of fresh water that surrounded our world; so evidently I chose the sky. Working in the city's air currents wasn't my dream job but I enjoyed it well enough and eventually was promoted and allowed to pilot international and intergalactic flights. Flights to space, though my favourite, were few and far between; usually only six or seven trips per year. The sky ships we used to travel ran on short wind turbines that rotated at the speed of sound, urged on by the passing water vapour in the air. That was my job, as I flew I would concentrate the air's water vapour into a fast and constant stream, propelling the turbines onwards. Space travel is a little more difficult than land travel considering there is no water in space, so the ships have to carry their own supply which was constantly recycled and cleaned.

I stand up abruptly, snapping out of my day dream and causing the swivel chair to roll back a few centimetres.

"Righto, I know you probably don't have much to pack just yet but head downstairs and grab your things. I need to organise some passports and I.D. before I book our flights. We can leave for an airport tomorrow and pick up some spare clothes along the way. The bunker will probably need a clean before we leave anyway, I actually found cockroaches living in the kitchen from the last time we didn't clean up!" I say to everyone in the room, shuddering comically.

They nod and hurry off to do my bidding. An air of excitement fills the house. Jasmine, Eliena, Brandon and Maria leave until only Yvern, Logan and I are left. I reach under the main desk and pull out the pile of equipment and papers I use to forge the I.D. cards and certificates.

"Any name in particular?" I ask Logan absently.

"I just wanted to speak about the risks of us all going together." He replies, disregarding my casual manner and question.

I nod, instantly sobering. I see the way he looks at Maria; despite the short amount of time they've known each other. Plus I have been considering the risks of us going as a group for a while now also.

"It will be harder to go unnoticed as a group but we can't afford for us to be separated. Not now. Not when we are so close to finding some of the others," I tell him.

I feel something soft rub against my leg and I glance down casually at the kraall, Yvern, rubbing himself against me and chiming softly. I run my hand through the thick, velvety, purple fur on the top of his head. Logan nods and takes a step towards the door.

"We'll be fine, and if they do find us or anything else happens we will be safer as a group. Trust me, she'll be fine," I comfort him.

Logan pauses at the doorway, Yvern at his heels. I catch a glimpse of a deep green blush colouring his tanned skin before he finally walks away.

By the next morning a large stack of papers sits on the bench underneath the monitors, consisting of birth certificates, passports, licences, bank details and other legal documents. Our story will be that we are university friends heading to Australia as tourists for the few months before summer, and then catching a flight back to America in early to mid-December. Maria, Eliena and Logan don't look old enough to be in university so I've registered them as my children; even though we don't look alike it saves a lot of questions. I look down the form on top of the pile. For a few months I will, formally anyway, be called Samuel Marks. I look down and sift through the other sheets lining the table as Maria and Eliena appear beside me. I pull out a licence for Maria and both hers and Eliena's birth certificates, holding them out so that they can see.

"I hope you don't mind the names, I forgot to ask yesterday. I tried to keep the details as close to your names and ages as possible without being too noticeable. Maria you are Maree Marks, born April 20th 1998 and Eliena, you will be Ellen Marks born January 9th 2000, both of you my daughters," I tell them, placing their documents back onto the pile.

Maria looks happy with my choice of names but Eliena seems confused.

"Why do we have to change our names?" Eliena asks.

"Well if we continuously use the same names and information we would be easy to find and track down. Plus you and Maria are on quite a few missing persons' lists. My name will still be Samuel Marks as it is a common enough name to not raise any suspicion," I explain.

The truth is that I've become quite attached to the name over the years. It is as much a part of me now on Earth as the name 'Arnerk' was mine at home. My thoughts flash towards my family. Lindsha's beautiful round eyes and Xciana's sweet little face. I quickly shove them away and lock them away deep inside before the pain can escape. It has been around ten years and it still feels like it was yesterday.

Eliena nods at me and asks, "Who will the others be, and what about Yvern?"

"Jasmine is Gabrielle Brooke, Brandon, Bryan Arnold and Logan, Lewis Marks. Yvern can follow us as some kind of insect or small bird. Kraalls are very good at passing unnoticed when they want to. Anyway, I've scheduled for us to fly out tonight but we'll have to leave soon if we want to arrive at the St Louis airport in time. It will take three hours to drive there, traffic allowing. Are you all packed?" I say

The girls nod and I follow them out of the room, turning the screens off on my way out. The take the head down stairs while I stop at the small pile of luggage by the elevator and pick up several of the bags. I'd told everyone to try to limit themselves to one as it will make it quicker to move around.

I press the small round button on the wall when I know the elevator is empty and the silver doors open with a whoosh of air.

"Yvern?" I call, knowing that he would be somewhere in the kitchen; the creature seemed to have a bottomless pit for a stomach.

Yvern pads though the door and into the sitting room chiming softly with each step.

"I need to take these into the garage. Can you help me carry them please?" I ask him.

Yvern nods once and bounds towards me, transforming as he approaches. I stare in shock when he reaches me. He's taken the form of an Eilnardian man with short black hair, pale red skin and arms covered in an immense pattern of tattoos. He appears a few years older than me with lines of age creasing his face near the corners of his eyes and on his forehead. He shakes his hands back and forward, getting used to his new fingers. I turn around quickly, averting my eyes from his exposed and naked body. I place the bags onto the elevator floor and walk past him towards the laundry. He stares back at me confused as I walk away. When I return Yvern has already carried the rest of the bags into the elevator. I hand him the pair of black pants I'd retrieved from the washing and press the silver button that will take us to the garage. Yvern pulls on the pants awkwardly, grasping at the strings clumsily. Eventually he ties a form of knot just as the doors open once more. Now that he has some form of clothing on him I allow myself a closer look. I can see that the black markings tattooing his arms reach all the way to his shoulder and that each swirled line joins to form the image of a long curved blade. His pale red skin is imprinted with scale-like disks and his nose is just two thin slits above his mouth, like a snake's. Yvern's eyes are also snake-like, thin and ovular, but are a very light sky blue.

"Where...Where did you find that form?" I ask him as we exit the elevator.

He chimes an explanation to me and I am instantly disappointed that I will not be able to understand his answer. I will have to ask Logan to translate.

The garage, on the top most floor of the bunker is where I store my treasures. It is one thing I've always joked that the humans definitely got right, their cars. I pick up my share of the bags from the floor and walk into the large concrete walled space. Along ever wall and in centre are cars, parked neatly side by side all throughout the room. On the right side of the room three tall box like land rovers stand proud and tall alongside several Ford pickup trucks, each a different colour. A red Jaguar, a sleek black Lamborghini Aventador and a purple and black GT Ford are parked in a line to the left. I look to the back of the garage. Parked by itself at the end is a long green and white Volkswagen convey van. The words 'Save the Trees' is painted along the side in bright flowery lettering. It's not the prettiest or fastest car but when I had seen it, rusting and dusty at the back of a car yard I just couldn't help myself. In the middle of the room are several more sedans and city cars but all are much more ordinary than the rest of my extravagant collection. I pick one of the long wheel based Land Rovers to take us and the luggage to the airport. It is not the most practical city car but it's the only one large enough to carry us all if we end up finding the others. I point it out to Yvern and we pack the bags inside. I then send him to find the others as I set up the garage door to open.

"Omg Sam, since when are you a car addict?" Jasmine exclaims loudly as she walks out of the elevator.

Brandon follows out close behind her, his eyes his eyes fixated on the customised star-shaped muffler at the back of the red Jaguar. He lets out a long wolf whistle and I can't help but feel proud.

"You sure have a damn nice collection Sam," Brandon comments, running his hand down the spotless bonnet of a white Land Rover Defender. "You off-road often? You know, when you're not saving the world and all?"

I laugh "Definitely. We've been moving around for a while but it's nice to be back. I'll take you for a spin one day." I promise him.

Logan quickly takes Brandon and Jasmine around, showing them his favourites. They reach the black Lamborghini when I spot a flash of pale red skin moving quickly towards them. Yvern jumps out from behind the car in one excited spring. He chimes happily but loudly, a pleased and mischievous expression on his foreign face. Jasmine squeals loudly and jumps back out of his way. Logan hardly even flinches but smiles widely, making me think that he was in on the trick, Brandon though launches forward and tackles Yvern to the ground and in seconds has his hands on his throat. Yvern clasps his tattooed hands on Brandon's trying to move them from his throat. Brandon's reaction takes me by surprise and its a few seconds before I can respond.

"Brandon! Stop!" I yell running to them, the fun and joke instantly over. Logan reaches him before me ripping him out of the way. The moment Yvern is free he jumps up and to the side, transforming back to his usual appearance, the borrowed pants falling to the ground in tatters beneath his feet. I hear a loud rasping sound, like old pottery scraping on cement and I instantly know its Yvern. His purple hair stands up along his back, his wings loosen from his body and he bares his teeth ready to charge. Something changes in his eyes and I slow to a stop.

Brandon looks aghast. "How did...Who was that? I thought you..." he says, trying to apologise.

Yvern is not listening. He stalks towards Brandon, no-longer a friend, no-longer Yvern but something different, something terrifying; the same something that had stalked us in San Martin. Logan stares at him intently trying to break through whatever barrier of memories has consumed his friend.

"Yvern stop," Logan whispers, his voice strained with effort. The words were obviously not meant to be said aloud.

He drops to his knees and holds his hands to his head. I rush over and kneel beside him gathering him in my arms, but whatever spell that was holding Yvern gives in. Logan straightens, pushes me out of the way and runs to Yvern's side. He stares at him and I know that he is communicating in a way none of us could ever hear. Yvern shakes himself as if ridding himself of a bad dream. His eyes widen in apology and he lets out a small pitiful whine. Brandon walks over, kneels down and places his hand on the cuff of Yvern's neck.

"It's alright, whatever it was it's gone now." Brandon comforts him. "I'm sorry, I should have realised no Eilnardian could ever get in here, I just acted on instinct."

Yvern nods and nudges Brandon with his smooth, wet, purple nose. I stand up and walk over to Logan. I offer my hand and help him up.

"Are you alright? What happened?" I ask him silently so that no-one else can hear.

He shakes his head, "I'm fine but I'm not sure if I can tell you what happened," Logan looks down to Yvern, "Later," he says and walks towards the packed car. I watch Yvern as he follows Logan closely and curiosity strikes me right in the chest. What has happened to him at the hands of the Eilnardians that would make him act like that?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

We leave within the hour, driving carefully through the lines of cars towards the entrance, all negative thoughts pushed from our mind as the excitement of the trip takes hold. Brandon sits beside me in the front seat, gazing out the window in delight at all the cars we pass. I pull a small black electronic key from the pocket of my jeans and run my fingers along its rough surface, feeling the two buttons imprinted on its top. I push down the green button and a skylight opens in front of us. I drive up the ramp and through the opening, my tiers crunching on the dirt road. Muffled gasps coming from the back seat indicate that I have impressed them yet again. Despite all the reminders I forget constantly that Maria, Jasmine and Brandon have never had the comforts Logan, I and even Eliena have had. I drive slowly down the driveway until I reach the bitumen. The forest green car bounces onto the pavement and I turn her into the risen sun, bright with the morning's heat.

"The wheels on the bus go round and round..." Jasmine starts to sing.

I can't help but laugh and neither can anyone else. This is going to be a long drive.

 --------- AN.

If you're enjoy reading Budding Hope please remember to vote and comment.

Thankyou, feedback is welcome :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Kairos By leigh heasley

Science Fiction

841K 23K 28
Time travel is legal and Ada Blum is looking for love. But what happens when one of her charming bachelors from the past makes his way to the present...