Timeless: Hours of Anguish [A...

By staylove_ly

Everything is going perfectly in San's life. He's popular, he's confident, he's attractive, and he knows it... More

Sunday, November 27th
Monday, November 28th
Tuesday, November 29th
Wednesday, November 30th
Thursday, December 1st
Friday, December 2nd
Saturday, December 3rd
Sunday, December 4th
Monday, December 5th
Tuesday, December 6th
The Q&A Nobody Asked For

Saturday, November 26th

817 34 0
By staylove_ly

Book I: Hours of Anguish

Saturday, November 26th. 12:38 PM. Hogwarts, Fifth Floor. Choi San.

"No, no, no. Move it a tad bit more to the left," San directed Yeosang and Jongho as they struggled to properly position the huge banner. They had enchanted it to spell out "Happy Birthday!" in flamboyantly blinking letters. Fastening it to the timber beams that branched out into the ceiling on each side of the large window apparently proved to be a harder task than originally anticipated. "No, too much. Go back. Just a little though." Balancing dangerously on the makeshift wooden ladders, Yeosang and Jongho tried their best to follow San's instructions. "Stop! That's perfect!"

"Finally," groaned Yeosang. Having received San's approval, he and Jongho climbed down their respective ladders and high-fived.

San took a few steps back and admired their work. He couldn't contain his pleased grin. He'd roped in all of Wooyoung's closest friends to arrange the perfect party room, and after all this time they invested in decorating the former Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, it looked nothing like the dusty chamber they'd started with. It had everything a birthday boy like Wooyoung could have possibly wished for.

Long violet curtains covered the windows and filtered out the daylight, while the lilac fairy lights that floated a few inches above the ground provided a dim mood lighting. The walls held more enchanted banners that flashed birthday wishes or moving pictures of Wooyoung and his friends, and the ceiling sported a big sparkling disco ball that beautifully reflected the magical party glow lights, enchanted to float around the room like fireflies. And, of course, the cherry on top was the huge snack buffet they had constructed in front of the old blackboard - which was also covered in doodles and handwritten birthday messages from everyone, by the way.

San, Mingi, and Jongho had carried the majority of the shabby desks and chairs to one of the neighboring classrooms. The remaining furniture made use for the snack buffet and all-you-can-drink table, stacked with an abundance of Firewhiskey shots, Pumpkin Juice Cocktails (spiked with Firewhiskey), Butterbeer (the alcoholic kind), and a handful of non-alcoholic refreshments. The highlight of the snack buffet was the huge chocolate fountain placed in the middle, surrounded by hundreds of packages of Chocolate Frogs, two large bowls of Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans (Mingi had spent hours sorting out only the Cherry and Cinnamon ones), Cauldron Cakes, Exploding Bon-Bons, Fizzing Whizzbees - all of Wooyoung's favorite snacks.

They had even asked Park Seonghwa, an overbearing seventh-year and Ravenclaw prefect for the third year in a row, to enchant the ceiling for them. It now displayed the sky outside, making it look like there was no ceiling at all, simply open on to the heaven. It was barely noon, so it only showed the gray winter sky and the few white clouds that surrounded the castle, but it would hopefully show a stunning starry night sky once they got the party going. Naturally, they hadn't told Seonghwa about the party. Being the killjoy he was, he probably would've found some kind of school regulation that would allow him to shut it down before it even happened.

San's eyes scanned the room, holding out for any unfulfilled tasks. "Mingi, how far are you with the snack buffet?" he asked his fellow Slytherin and best friend. He'd just finished filling up the chocolate fountain.

"Done," Mingi replied with a grin and gave him a thumbs up. He let his wand glide back into the pocket of his denim jeans.

San grinned back, then he turned to Yeosang. "What about Changbin? Is he back from Hogsmeade yet?"

Yeosang added a small box Yeonjun had just brought in to the huge pyramid of presents and checked his wristwatch. "He should be back with the cake any minute now."

San nodded, more to himself than to Yeosang, and skimmed over the checklist in his hand one final time. Exhausted, he let himself plop down on one of the chairs by the pyramid of presents. "I think we might be done, guys."

The others gave a cheer, equally as relieved as San. Mingi grabbed a chair of his own and took a seat beside him. "Does that mean everything is perfect for your boyfriend's big birthday bash, Mr. Choi?" he teased.

San scoffed and crossed his arms over his chest. "Wooyoung's not my boyfriend," he pointed out, grinning. He wasn't fooling anyone.

"Yet." Mingi nudged San's side. "You literally call him babe."

Jongho whistled and stole one of the Cauldron Cakes from the snack buffet. "Sounds like something a boyfriend would do."

Yeosang was quick to appear by Jongho's side to ask for a bite. He joined in on the teasing as soon as he'd received it. "Let's not forget about those "chivalrous" hand kisses you give him all the time. They make Wooyoung swoon for hours, which would be cute if I didn't have to listen to all of it."

Jongho nodded. "Not to mention your countless dates he tells me about. In detail. Every damn night." His words were muffled by the cake in his mouth. He took another bite from it, handed it to Yeosang, and moved on to grab a Chocolate Frog.

"Yeah dude." Mingi laughed. "You're romancing him like there's no tomorrow. I can't believe the two of you aren't together yet."

"Oh, shut up." San rolled his eyes, not even trying to contain his grin anymore. "We haven't even kissed yet." It was true. Well, kind of. Aside from occasional pecks on the cheek, hand, or forehead, they hadn't properly kissed yet. It wasn't that San didn't want to, of course. He was simply waiting for the perfect moment.

To be fair, it made sense that most people thought San and Wooyoung were boyfriends. They did all the things a couple would do; they spent every minute they had together, they went on dates every week, they held hands in public, they constantly flirted with each other, and they both knew that they liked each other. And yet, they hadn't really talked about what exactly they were. Sure, one could say that they didn't need to have that talk to be boyfriends, but San wanted to officially ask him when the time was right. That's the way San had been raised. His father had taught him to always be a gentleman and romance his way into the heart of the person he loved.

And boy did he love Wooyoung. The mere thought of him made his heart race. It was ridiculous, really. Whenever their eyes met, he felt like time came to a standstill. Words couldn't describe the lengths he would go to just to see Wooyoung smile. God, he would give Wooyoung the whole damn world if he could. At the same time, he didn't want to rush things. They were young. They had all the time in the world, and San wanted everything to be perfect. He wanted Wooyoung to be his last.

A fond smile played at San's lips. "I just want it to be special when I officially ask him to be mine," he concluded. As soon as the words had left his mouth, Yeosang broke into a laughing fit, and Jongho gripped onto his shoulder and pretended to vomit.

Mingi slid off his chair and dropped to the floor, scrambling to bring distance between himself and San. "How the hell does Wooyoung put up with this cheesiness?"

San rolled his eyes at their overreaction and rose from his seat. They were so dramatic.

Yeonjun walked back into the room and glanced at the clock above the blackboard. He was accompanied by Changbin who balanced the cake he'd picked up in Hogsmeade, the little magical village near the castle. Neatly coated in delicious-looking white cream and colorful heart-shaped streusels, the two-story birthday cake sat on a round purple pedestal. It even had candles in the shape of the number seventeen planted on top of it. San smiled. Good to see the cake had been worth the extra galleons he had paid that bakery to make it perfect. "Sorry to interrupt, Romeo," said Yeonjun, "but if you wanna catch Wooyoung at lunch we should probably get going right about now."

San's heartbeat picked up with excitement. Yeonjun didn't need to tell him twice. They all grabbed their belongings, left the classroom, and filed down the Great Stairs, bound for the Great Hall. On the way there, San had to listen to his friends' endless teasing about his obvious display of nervousness. Stay cool, San. Be natural. He'd never been this nervous about anything before. He was a confident, popular, and - dare he say - pretty attractive guy. Usually other people were the ones to get nervous at the thought of San. Yet, he hadn't even seen Wooyoung and he already felt butterflies in his stomach. Hell, even his palms grew sweaty. He and the others had been planning this surprise party for over a week and he couldn't wait to finally see Wooyoung's reaction. San took a deep breath when they reached the entrance hall. Once they'd pushed past the heavy doors, he immediately spotted him.

Wooyoung sat at the Gryffindor table by himself, nursing a glass of pumpkin juice. He wore his chocolate brown hair slightly messy, his bangs falling into his face to halt just above his eyes. Since it was the weekend and many students preferred to wear muggle clothing outside of class, his outfit consisted of his scarlet red Chudley Cannons hoodie, a black pair of jeans, and the golden specs he always wore when he was too lazy to use contacts. His attention lay on the Daily Prophet he'd placed next to his plate. If San had to guess, he'd say he was skimming the sports pages and Quidditch-related articles, as those were the only news that interested him. Beside his French toast and pumpkin juice, he also had a cup of coffee – a weird combination San knew Wooyoung loved.

San tore his eyes from him before his friends had a chance to tease him for staring. Instead, he raked a hand through his black hair and turned to Yeosang, Mingi, and Jongho. "Alright. You guys go ahead and distract him while I light the candles."

They mock-saluted and took off, chuckling mischievously. Meanwhile, San drew his wand and muttered, "Incendio." Miniscule flames spilled from the tip of his wand, and he used them to ignite the candles on Wooyoung's cake. Once both were alight, San carefully took the cake from Changbin's hands. Taking one last deep breath in an attempt to ease his nervousness, he approached the Gryffindor table.

Luckily, the Gryffindor table was on the far left of the Great Hall and Wooyoung sat with his back facing the entrance and the three other tables. That way, San had no trouble sneaking up to him unnoticed. Besides, Wooyoung was distracted by whatever joke Yeosang was telling him anyway. San grinned excitedly to himself and lifted the cake over Wooyoung's head, setting it down on the table in front of him. Wooyoung gasped and slapped his hands over his mouth in surprise, then his friends as well as a bunch of other students nearby broke out in cheers, loudly roaring a rather off-tune rendition of a birthday song.

"Oh my god!"

Satisfied with his success, San snuck his arms around Wooyoung from behind. He pressed a kiss to his cheek. "Happy birthday, babe."

Wooyoung smiled into the round, clasped his hands together to make a wish, and blew out his candles. There it was. That pure and bright smile of his that San could never get enough of. It was like he illuminated the entire hall solely with his presence. Wooyoung rose from his seat and pulled San into a tight hug. San even lifted him off his feet for a moment as the excitement overwhelmed him. The first surprise event of the day had played out just as planned.

Wooyoung released him, beaming. "This was all your idea?" He was ravishingly beautiful. His gentle features radiated a joy so pure it infected everyone around him. Perhaps his smile could cure the world's most horrible diseases. It took a great chunk of San's willpower to resist the urge kiss him in front of the entire school.

Instead, he nodded proudly in response. "I did receive a lot of help though. What do you think?"

"Are you crazy? I love it!" Wooyoung rewarded San by returning his kiss on the cheek before he faced his friends again. "Thank you so much, everyone."

The students that had gathered around to see what the commotion was about soon began to disperse. San soon took a seat on the wooden bench next to Wooyoung. Five minutes later, the group was happily eating and chatting together. San, Mingi, and Yeonjun dove into Wooyoung's birthday cake, Yeosang and Jongho gushed about how they'd been the ones to choose the color of streusels on it, while Changbin pointed out that he'd been the one to pick it up from the bakery, arguing that it wouldn't even be here without him. Wooyoung chuckled at their playful bickering and secured a piece for himself. San stole one arm around his shoulders, pulling him into his chest. His free hand rested on his thigh.

San could tell that Wooyoung had the time of his life, surrounded by all the people he loved. During their meal, many students from the other side of the Great Hall approached their table to deliver their birthday wishes as well. Some even had presents. Wooyoung had always been popular around Hogwarts, which wasn't very shocking. He was sweet, funny, sarcastic, cute, outgoing – the prime example of a social butterfly. It always warmed San's heart to see him be the center of attention. Wooyoung was the sun of his own little solar system.

After they'd finished their meals, the others left the Great Hall under the pretense of returning to their common rooms or going to the library to do homework or meet up with other friends. Wooyoung thanked them for the surprise and fondly watched them leave. He'd believed them of course, but San knew better. He knew that they all headed back to the former Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom to get the music and atmosphere ready for the surprise party. San's job was to distract Wooyoung for the next few hours until they were done.

The two of them left as well and scaled the Great Stairs all the way up to the seventh floor. They settled down on one of the stone benches in the deserted corridor near the Room of Requirement. Placed in front of a large window, this bench granted them a beautiful view of the snow-covered grounds that surrounded the castle. No matter how beautiful the view, however, San's attention belonged solely to Wooyoung. He'd lain down beside San on the bench, letting his head rest in his lap. He happily told him all about the letters and birthday wishes he'd woken up to this morning. San studied him with a smile as he listened. Winter sunlight falling through the window caught Wooyoung's eyes and brought out the chestnut glints within them. It illuminated him and gave his hair a beautiful golden shine, which only made it that much harder for San to resist the urge to just take him to his bedroom right away.

"I'm so happy," he confessed. He'd finished reciting the sweet birthday cards he had gotten from his parents and his favorite uncle Stephan. He reached up to let his fingers graze San's cheek. His lips looked so soft and inviting. "Happy that I get to spend this day with you."

San played with Wooyoung's hair. "Always at your service, darling."

"So, what's next?"

"Whatever it is that you want." San simply needed to keep him busy until he had to take him to his surprise party. There were no limitations as to how he was going to do that.

Wooyoung narrowed his eyes at him, suspicious for only a moment, then he was smiling again. "I don't know what your mysterious surprise is but I'm actually fine staying here like this until it's happening."

"As you wish," San replied. His eyes never left Wooyoung's as he stroked his hair. San could stare at Wooyoung for hours and never get tired of the feelings he sparked in him. Something about the way his nose scrunched up and his cheeks became round when he smiled made San feel all woozy inside. Several moments of silence passed as they basked in each other's presence, getting lost in their own little world. San was first to speak up again eventually. "How do you feel now that you're finally seventeen? What do you want to do?"

Wooyoung hummed in thought. "I'd say I feel the same so far. But..." His smile transformed into a grin. "Now that I'm officially of age, there are a lot of things I want to do."

"Yeah? What kind of things?"

"Oh, you know. Adult things." Wooyoung's tone was suggestive. He even had the audacity to bite his lip. Those damned soft pink lips. San had a good idea of what kind of adult things he meant and was certainly not opposed to the idea of acting upon them.

"That's your first thought? What a bad boy you are."

"Am I really?" Wooyoung didn't always show it, but he was just as much of a flirt as San was. He chuckled mischievously and played with the emerald green Slytherin tie San wore. He'd put on an innocent pout, but the suggestive tone still lingered in his voice when he spoke. "When do I finally get to...unwrap my present?" He tugged lightly at the tie. "I swear I'll be good."

"Be careful what you wish for." San smirked. His voice had dropped to a whisper. "If you play with fire you might just get burned."

"If I don't get burned," Wooyoung whispered back, "then what's the point of playing?"

His grip on the tie tightened when he began to pull San down towards his lips. Wooyoung's eyes fluttered shut as he moved his other hand around San's neck and drew him even closer. The tension between them was so thick you could practically cut it with a knife. San could feel Wooyoung's breath graze his skin. He could smell the delicate scent of chocolate and cinnamon that always surrounded Wooyoung. God, they were so damn close San's head was spinning. Their lips almost touched. He wanted nothing more than to give in and finally close that damn distance between them. It took every last bit of his self-control to resist him. In a great show of self-control, he pulled away and only kissed the tip of Wooyoung's nose.

Wooyoung gave a displeased groan and San chuckled. "Not yet, baby. You'll have to be patient until tonight."

"You're such a damn tease sometimes, you know that?" Wooyoung opened his eyes. He didn't sound accusing, and San knew that he wasn't mad, but he could tell that Wooyoung had wanted it as much as he did.

"What can I say. I love taking you to the edge."

"Meanie. At least give me one hint about what the surprise is," Wooyoung demanded. When San pretended to think about it, he began to play with the tie again. He knew exactly well what he was doing. "Pretty please?"

San grinned. "Purple."

Wooyoung stared blankly at him, expecting him to elaborate. "That's it? Oh come on," he whined, "that could mean anything!"

San only laughed. Wooyoung was too cute for his own good. He continued trying to guess what the surprise might be - some guesses more inappropriate than others - but San didn't give in.

Eventually, they became bored of sitting around on the bench and got up to aimlessly stroll through the castle. It may not have been the most exciting thing they could've killed their time with, but neither of them minded. They had an amazing time just talking, joking around, and being themselves. Wooyoung was so full of positive energy and easy to talk to, San often forgot about everything else. Not to mention that Wooyoung's hand fit perfectly in his.

Walking through the castle like this reminded San of how much he loved Hogwarts. Surrounded by its extensive school grounds that included sloping lawns, flowerbeds, vegetable patches, several greenhouses and other outbuildings, a large dense forest, a loch, and a full-size Quidditch pitch, this castle was the most beautiful place he knew. Torches graced the stone walls and lightened the cobbled walls that held heavy wooden doors and ancient decorative banners. Gargoyles, stone benches, and armor stands occupied every niche of its high towers and vast dungeons. It was almost tangible, the magic pulsing through its corridors. Countless rooms and chambers, magical creatures of all kinds hiding away in the darkest corners, hidden passageways guarded by bookshelves and portraits; it was so grand that nobody could possibly discover all the secrets the castle held. Not even the headmistress. It was a home to hundreds of students, divided into the four houses of its founders – Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin.

San had been sorted into Slytherin, the house of the resourceful, cunning, and determined, and Wooyoung was a Gryffindor, brave, daring and courageous. Hufflepuffs were patient, tolerant, and loyal, while Ravenclaws were known to be creative, intelligent, and witty. Gryffindor and Slytherin used to dislike each other because of some stupid rivalry that traced back to Roman times, but nobody really cared about that anymore. Only a handful of students still held on to that ancient sentiment, but it was by far not as important as it had been a few decades ago. And even if it had been, nothing could keep San away from Wooyoung at this point.

About an hour later, he led Wooyoung toward his common room so he could get ready before the party – which he still had no idea about. Wooyoung happily swung their intertwined hands back and forth as they scaled the Great Stairs on their way to the Gryffindor Tower. "This is already the best birthday ever."

"I'm glad you think so." San smiled. "But we haven't even gotten to the best part yet."

"What are we doing here?" They had come to a halt in front of the Fat Lady, the portrait that concealed the entrance to the Gryffindor Common Room. Wooyoung gasped, his eyes wide with realization. "Is it finally time for the surprise?"

"Almost," replied San. "First I need you to head inside and get ready for it." He pressed a kiss to Wooyoung's hand. "Change into something cute. The dress code is purple."

A faint blush painted Wooyoung's cheeks, but his eyes sparkled with excitement. He showed his riveting smile. "Give me five minutes."

He turned to tell the Fat Lady, the portrait that guarded the entrance to the Gryffindor Common Room, the password. The portrait swung forward to reveal a round hole in the wall that Wooyoung promptly climbed through. San waited outside. He took the opportunity to remove the Slytherin tie he wore with his white button-up and black skinny jeans. He rummaged through his bag to replace it with a purple one since he needed to follow said dress code as well, of course. He made sure it hung loosely around his neck, then he ran a hand through his hair to mess it up a little, make himself look more party appropriate. Once he was done, he decided to chat with the Fat Lady.

She immediately began to complain about her friend Violet trying to set her up with Sir Cadogan and his fat pony. San flashed her a charming smile and told her that Sir Cadogan would be lucky to go out with her, which seemed to delight her. Her rant came to an end when Wooyoung returned and climbed back through the portrait hole. He'd put on a plain white shirt and a purple cardigan, along with a pair of straight-cut denim jeans and white shoes. He hadn't taken off his glasses, which only added to his cute and casual outfit. He was enchanting.

"You look amazing, baby." The compliment earned San a coy smile. He knew how much Wooyoung liked those nicknames, though he would probably never admit to it.

Wooyoung cheekily gave San a once-over. "Right back at you."

"I only changed my tie."

"I don't know," said Wooyoung and pressed a brief kiss to San's cheek, "it's doing something for me."

San chuckled. "Let's go.

"Where?"

"You'll find out soon enough." San's vague answers made Wooyoung sulk, though he didn't resist when San covered his eyes with his hands. "I'll take you there. Keep your eyes closed for me?"

He giggled excitedly. "Okay."

San led him further out of the Gryffindor Tower and through a corridor on the fifth floor. They pushed past a bunch of former classrooms and storage rooms. Wooyoung continuously asked when they would finally arrive, visibly growing more and more impatient with each step. It was adorable to watch. Two minutes later, they stood outside the former Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. Wooyoung's excitement was contagious.

"Are you ready?" San asked one last time. His hands still covered Wooyoung's eyes.

"I've been ready for hours! Just show me already."

"Alright. Don't open your eyes, yet," he said. "I'll lead you through this door in front of us. After I count to three, you can open your eyes." Wooyoung replied with an exited squeal. San opened the door and led him into the room. Everyone who'd helped San prepare the decorations - plus about fifty other friends of Wooyoung's - stood inside. Nobody made a single sound, though the anticipation was written on their faces. San gave them a grateful nod and spoke into Wooyoung's ear, just like he had in the Great Hall. "One, two, three – "

As soon as San removed his hands, the entire room screamed, "Happy Birthday, Wooyoung!"

"Oh my god, you guys!" Wooyoung laughed as his friends cheered, and San gave him a back hug. Music began to play and it didn't take long until everyone had settled into the party atmosphere. Wooyoung was in the middle of it all, receiving more birthday wishes from all sides. He relished in the attention. San watched him from a few feet away, proud of his work.

The room was packed with people, all matching the purple dress code and decoration. The enchanted ceiling showed the clear night sky from outside, dotted with a million stars and constellations. It looked just as captivating as San had hoped. All the hard work he'd put into this party had been more than worth the bright smile Wooyoung wore right now.

As soon as everyone had spread out to talk, snack, and dance, Wooyoung returned to San, brimming with joy. He hurried over to hug him once more, a little longer this time. "You're literally the best."

San grinned. "What was that? I can't hear you over the music."

Wooyoung shook his head and gave his shoulder a light smack. "I take it back, you're the worst," he joked.

They were interrupted by Yeosang, who strode over to them with a huge smile on his face. He held a purple plastic cup, and his cheeks looked a little rosier than usual. San wouldn't be surprised if he was already tipsy. Yeosang embraced Wooyoung as soon as he could get his hands on him. "Woo, happy birthday!"

"Thank you." Wooyoung pulled away and took a better look at his best friend. "You look amazing, by the way. You really went all out for this."

It was true. Yeosang wore a silky lilac button up and a tight pair of ink black pants. His golden-brown hair fell into his face in gentle waves that were laced with some violet highlights. Purple glitter complimented the inner corners of his eyes, and his usual brown eyes were masked by a pair of purple contacts. "Don't I always?" he replied cheekily.

"Hey, why don't I get us some drinks?" San asked Wooyoung. "Would you like one?"

He smiled. "Thanks, I'd love one."

"I'll be right back, then." San pressed a kiss to Wooyoung's cheek and disappeared in the crowd. As soon as he'd left, a sly grin spread across Yeosang's face. He nudged Wooyoung's side.

"Don't even start," warned Wooyoung. It was no use.

Yeosang shook his head, overflowing with excitement. "Your boyfriend went out of his way to arrange a whole surprise party for you. That's inexplicably romantic!"

Wooyoung couldn't hide his grin. "He's not my boyfriend."

"Even better!" Yeosang exclaimed. "He did all of this knowing that you're not even dating yet. What's he gonna do when you guys are dating!" Wooyoung couldn't wait to find out. When San had first asked him out on a date, he'd thought they were merely going to be a fun little fling. He'd never imagined falling for San as hard as he had. But a dozen romantic dinner dates, sweet love letters, and a palette of cheesy one-liners later, Wooyoung had ended up completely sold. It was unbelievable that he and San had only started seeing each other less than a half a year ago. To Wooyoung, it felt like they'd known each other for an eternity. He smiled to himself at the thought. Then he realized he'd zoned out and tuned back into his best friend's rambling. "I have to say, I may have misjudged the guy at first."

Wooyoung laughed. "You can say that again. I haven't forgotten how you wouldn't shut up about how he might break my heart and how I shouldn't trust 'guys like him.'" He chuckled at the memory.

Yeosang raised his hands in defense. "Listen, I was just looking out for you. He could've been a mistake. But I admit that he seems serious about you. You two have my blessing."

"How very merciful of you," Wooyoung teased. Yeosang had always been the protective type. Okay, maybe even a little overprotective. Especially after what had happened between him and Corbyn. Ever since then, he'd been extra careful when it came to not only his own but Wooyoung's love interests as well - much to Wooyoung's dismay. He'd even gone so far as to scare some of them away by threatening to murder them if they ever did anything to hurt Wooyoung. He hadn't been serious of course, Yeosang would never hurt a fly, but the threat alone left enough of an impression to make most guys back off. Luckily the method hadn't worked on San.

"On that note, I can't believe you two still aren't official yet. How long is he going to dance around it? Everyone already thinks you two are dating."

"We've been over this, Sangie. That's just his style." Wooyoung felt the need to defend San. He loved the way things were between the two of them right now. Of course, he wouldn't have minded if San had officially asked him to be his boyfriend right away after the first few dates. Hell, Wooyoung was probably going to ask San himself soon. But he loved the way he kept their flirtatious game going. He loved the excitement of testing out the limits of that intense chemistry between them. It left him breathless and gasping for air - and Wooyoung was addicted to the feeling. Words couldn't even begin to describe it. "He's likes taking things slow. Like a real gentleman."

Yeosang took a long sip of his cup. He didn't seem entirely convinced. "I guess there is some charm to it."

"Besides, that might change very soon. If he doesn't at least kiss me before I go to bed tonight, I'll do it myself," Wooyoung said confidently, which earned him another sly grin from Yeosang.

They began to move to the upbeat music that filled the room. The atmosphere was amazing. Everyone was chatting and laughing, enjoying the buffet, or dancing inappropriately close to one another. Wooyoung relished in the good mood. It fueled him.

Only about a minute later, Jongho danced up to them. He held a plastic cup just like Yeosang's and something told Wooyoung that he wasn't completely sober either. He acknowledged Wooyoung with a nod and snuck an arm around Yeosang's waist, singing along to the song playing. Yeosang giggled and went along with it.

"Let's dance!" Jongho yelled over the music. His words were directed at Yeosang rather than Wooyoung, who couldn't help but chuckled at his flustered expression. Jongho didn't leave Yeosang much room for choice and led him to the center of the room to dance. Yeosang didn't seem to mind too much.

Wooyoung shook his head at the two. There was no stopping his friends when it came to partying. He scanned the room for San but couldn't spot him anywhere amongst the crowd of people. Instead, his eyes met Yunho's, a tall and handsome Hufflepuff from the same year. Wooyoung liked him; he was smart, friendly, and he knew how to party. He wore his blond hair down and, just like San, he'd chosen to wear a purple tie to match the dress code. He smiled and made his way past a circle of dancing classmates to join Wooyoung.

"Happy birthday," he said as soon as he arrived and gave Wooyoung a brief hug.

Wooyoung smiled and thanked him. "You made it."

"I did." Yunho's smile faltered a little when he glanced at something - or rather someone - behind Wooyoung. "And so did he."

Wooyoung followed his gaze to the snack buffet and found Mingi. He held a half-eaten Chocolate Frog and laughed heartily about something with Yeonjun and Changbin. A mix of stubborn anger and regret flashed in Yunho's eyes as he watched. Wooyoung gave him an encouraging pat on the shoulder.

"Come on, give him a chance. He's San's best friend and a really cool guy as far as I can tell."

"Oh, I gave him a chance alright." Yunho's voice sounded uncharacteristically bitter. "He didn't want it."

"You used to get along so well." Wooyoung wasn't sure what to say. He had no idea what had happened to those two. They'd been best friends for years until one day they suddenly weren't anymore. In fact, they seemed to hate each other. Whatever had gone down between the two must've happened overnight because nobody seemed to know any details. Most of the time they pretended the other didn't exist, other times they drunkenly made out at parties, then all of a sudden they were right back to loathing each other. It was incredibly confusing to observe.

Yunho's eyes lingered on Mingi for a little longer until he managed to tear away his gaze. He directed his attention back at Wooyoung and showed a smile, though it was hardly the bright and genuine one he usually wore. "He's whatever. Let's not talk about him. I don't wanna ruin your night."

Curiosity itched within Wooyoung, but he took a hint and dropped the topic. They proceeded to chat about something more casual than their love lives - or lack thereof - and a few minutes later, a hand appeared on Wooyoung's hip.

"Are you enjoying yourself, babe?" San said into his ear.

Wooyoung smiled and turned around to take one of the drinks he offered. "Thanks. And of course."

San acknowledged Yunho with a nod and continued. "Ready for some drinking games?" He had it all planned out. As soon as Wooyoung had agreed to the prompt, the music was turned down a bit and everyone gathered in circles on the floor. There were far too many people for only one game, so they formed multiple circles that each played their own games.

Wooyoung ended up in the same circle as those who had helped organize the party - San, Yeosang, Yunho, Jongho, Mingi, Changbin, Yeonjun, and a few others. A bunch of Firewhiskey bottles were placed on the ground near them and the drinking games began. The first game was Never Have I Ever. A classic.

"I feel like the birthday boy should start!" Jongho exclaimed, lifting his cup into the air. He seemed remarkably tipsier than before.

Wooyoung accepted the challenge. "Never have I ever..." he tapped his chin in thought for a moment, "dated a girl." A collective groan went through the group. Yunho grinned and put down a finger. Yeonjun and Changbin exchanged secretive glances, then they also each put down a finger. Hanbyul, their token straight friend followed. The four of them drank and the game went on. They were going clockwise, meaning it was Yeosang's turn next.

Judging by his devious smirk, he already had his statement ready. "Never have I ever slept naked."

To everyone's surprise, Changbin's boyfriend Seungmin, who was usually the tamest one in their group, put his finger down. Changbin raised his eyebrow at him but Seungmin only shrugged and downed his shot. "What can I say," he shrugged, "last summer was pretty hot."

"Put your damn finger down, San!" Mingi roared. "We all know you sleep naked every single night!" San's roommates Yeonjun, Changbin, and Hanbyul nodded enthusiastically.

"Come on, guys," San complained, "it's not every night." He put his finger down nonetheless and emptied his cup.

Yunho was next. "Never have I ever made out with somebody in the restricted section of the library."

"Could've fooled me," commented Mingi. San didn't miss the salty undertone in his voice. Neither did Yunho apparently; he shot Mingi an icy glare. Once again, Seungmin surprised everyone by putting a finger down - along with Changbin. It seemed as though the two were wilder than San had given them credit for.

They continued to play for so long, they almost ran out of interesting ideas until Mingi dropped a bomb during his third or fourth turn. "Never have I ever performed a lap dance." He seemed proud of himself.

Wooyoung reluctantly put down his finger and took a shot, which earned him a round of exasperated gasps. "It was a dare!" he protested when San suggestively nudged his side. If San was completely honest, he wouldn't mind getting a taste of Wooyoung's skills sometime in the future. He tried not to let his drunk imagination run too wild for now.

"Okay, okay, let me think of something," said Yeonjun, still laughing. "Alright. Never have I ever made out with a stranger."

Wooyoung, again, had to put down a finger along with San, Jongho, Youjin, and Yunho.

Mingi gasped, dramatically slapping a hand on his chest. "You animals!" he exclaimed, making the group laugh.

"Never have I ever been rejected," San said confidently. Wooyoung pouted as he put down yet another finger. San patted Wooyoung's thigh. "He must've been a huge idiot."

Wooyoung giggled. It seemed as though he was slowly but surely starting to get affected by the amount of Firewhiskey shots he'd had to take. Yeosang had also put his finger down, earning an apologetic look from Youjin which he waved off unceremoniously. Yunho wasn't spared from the punishment either. He already lifted the plastic cup to his lips when his eyes locked with Mingi's for a moment too long.

Mingi looked away and awkwardly cleared his throat. He bitterly took a shot. "This is getting lame," he spat. "Why don't we move on to another game? I'll start. Who's most likely to have hidden tattoos?"

The others didn't seem to mind and immediately went along with his idea, most of them pointing at Yeosang. San, however, noticed that Yunho still regarded Mingi with an unreadable expression. The tension between the two was so strong San almost choked on it.

"Me? I don't have any tattoos though!" Yeosang protested.

"But this game is called 'most likely' so take a damn shot," said San, his head back in the game.

Yeosang rolled his eyes but complied anyway. "Fine, I'm next. Who's most likely to accidentally kill someone?" The others laughed and unanimously pointed at Jongho.

"Come on guys, I would never!" he exclaimed, already taking his shot. It took him a few seconds to come up with a question. "So, who is most likely to date two people at the same time?" Many people pointed at San, but even more people pointed at Yunho.

"Hey, I only ever date one guy at a time! I consider myself a monogamist!" he exclaimed, laughing. San wasn't sure that was how the term worked. The others laughed and protested, but Mingi only scowled and downed another drink. Eventually, they got Yunho to accept defeat. He took his shot and continued. "Who's most likely to get married first?"

An equal amount of fingers pointed at Wooyoung and San. They exchanged glances and wordlessly did a love shot, making the others holler. "Who's most likely to get laid tonight?" San asked, grinning. Everyone pointed at Wooyoung without hesitation.

"Oh my god, you guys just want me to get drunk!" Wooyoung exclaimed, a blush creeping onto his face. San wasn't sure if the question or the alcohol was to blame. "Who's most likely to become Minister of Magic one day?" Wooyoung's obvious plan to shift the attention away from himself had backfired. All fingers pointed at him. He let himself fall back in mock frustration, laughing uncontrollably. "You guys are horrible!"

"Rules are rules, birthday boy!" Jongho said and once again raised his cup. The others soon followed his gesture and cheered until Wooyoung finally downed his shot. The questions proceeded to become more and more specific and openly targeted at Wooyoung, so the game didn't go on for much longer. The group dispersed and went back to dancing and partying. San offered to take Wooyoung outside for a while to help him sober up a little. Wooyoung gave him a grateful look and agreed. San got him a cup of cold water from the all-you-can-drink table and the two of them stepped outside.

The corridor was rather dark. A bunch of torches on the stone wall and the moonlight that fell through the window were the only sources of light to illuminate it. Distant cheers and music served as white noise in the otherwise silent night. The cool air was refreshing; San's buzz had already begun to fade a little. He and Wooyoung strolled past the large windows. The night view of the snow-covered Quidditch field and the distant lights coming from Hogsmeade, the magical village near Hogwarts, was gorgeous. It was impossible to not admire it.

Wooyoung's balance was slightly off and he had to hold on to San's arm to avoid tripping over his own feet. Despite the effort, he ended up spilling some of his water, which made both of them laugh. Tipsy Wooyoung was beyond adorable.

"Maybe you should stick to pumpkin juice for the rest of the night."

"Maybe I should, yeah." Wooyoung giggled. He emptied his water and smiled up at San. Moonlight spilled onto his face and set his gentle features alight. His eyes shined brighter than the stars dotting the sky and the warmth his smile triggered in San rivaled that of the sun. He was so beautiful. "Have I thanked you for making this the best day of my life yet?"

San tapped his chin and hummed, pretending to think about it. "Only about ten times maybe."

Both of them chuckled. Then Wooyoung took his hand and came to a halt in front of the window. San turned to him and intertwined both of their hands. It was like their hands were made for each other. "I'm serious though," said Wooyoung. "I've never been happier than I am right now."

San held his gaze for several moments. Wooyoung regarded him with such undeniable sincerity and affection in his eyes, it took his breath away. San couldn't contain his smile. "Well, in that case, I've accomplished my mission."

Wooyoung's smile brightened when San brushed a strand of hair out of his face. He pulled San a little closer, leaving less than an inch of space between them.

Oh boy, San thought. They were so close to each other again. His tipsy self didn't have as much willpower as his sober self. Feeling Wooyoung's warmth, taking in his sweet scent, and seeing his rosy cheeks up close made it difficult to resist the urge to kiss him. He didn't miss the fact that Wooyoung's gaze was directed right at his lips as well. He was too close, too beautiful, too irresistible.

San lightly tipped up Wooyoung's chin and leaned in. Once again, Wooyoung let his eyes flutter shut and he followed San's lead, pulling him closer until their lips finally -

"Sorry, passing through!" The sound of Changbin's voice made them jump apart and turn to look at him. He squeezed past them as he half-guided half-carried a very drunk-looking Seungmin through the corridor. Completely oblivious to what he had interrupted, he casually bid his goodbyes to them and wished Wooyoung a happy birthday one last time. They watched him struggle to coax his stumbling boyfriend through the door at the end of the corridor. "No - baby. Your common room is that way."

As soon as the couple had disappeared, San and Wooyoung exchanged glances and laughed. The tension between them had gone out the window, but San couldn't find it in himself to actually be mad about it. The night was still young after all. He pressed a kiss to Wooyoung's forehead and suggested they go back inside. Wooyoung agreed.

The party room cleared out remarkably after ten – also known as curfew. About two dozen of people returned to their respective common rooms at that time to avoid detention. For the remaining people the party was still going strong - too strong almost. Yeonjun hosted a beer pong game with a group of Gryffindors, Youjin showed off his dance moves to some Hufflepuff girls, and Yeosang danced on a table with Jongho, singing about how he had a ponytail while everyone else actively cheered them on. Well, everyone except Mingi and Yunho. Those two stood in the far corner of the room, practically engulfed in each other and attached by the lips. San sighed. He'd be happy for them if he didn't know exactly that Mingi was going to regret this in the morning.

San and Wooyoung simply decided to dance again while chatting over the music. Wooyoung enthused about the upcoming Quidditch season and how much he looked forward to his next practice. San wasn't much of a Quidditch fan and only played it occasionally for fun, but Wooyoung absolutely loved the sport. He was one of the Chasers on the Gryffindor Team and – in San's unbiased opinion - their best player. San would never get tired of listening to Wooyoung talk about Quidditch as passionately as he did, even if he couldn't always follow his thoughts jumping from one complex game strategy to another. Wooyoung interrupted his elaboration about a new technique their team captain had come up with when the DJ finally played a slow song. His face lit up with excitement.

San grinned and offered him his hand in a dramatic fashion. "Can I have this dance, Mr. Jung?"

Wooyoung chuckled and took his hand. "But of course, Mr. Choi. I'd love nothing more." With that, he allowed San to pull him closer by the waist. Wooyoung's arms found their way around San's neck and they soon fell into a slow, comfortable rhythm. The world around them seemed to disappear. Wooyoung rested his head on San's shoulder, playing gently with the locks in the back of his neck. San couldn't believe how lucky he was to be here with him. He looked up at the enchanted sky above them, wishing that this night would never end.

He didn't know how much time passed but it felt like they danced for hours. When the world rematerialized and San glanced around the room, only around fifteen people were left. Yunho and Mingi still clung on to each other, drunkenly belting the lyrics to whatever ballad was playing as they swayed from left to right without a care in the world. Yeonjun had fallen asleep on the snack buffet while Youjin drew inappropriate doodles on his face with chocolate from the fountain, and Hanbyul danced with his girlfriend. Jongho and Yeosang were nowhere to be seen, though San couldn't find it in himself to care about that. He figured that they were probably just getting some fresh air, given how drunk they had been when he had last seen them. When Wooyoung almost dozed off on San's shoulder, San decided it was time to leave. They left the classroom and made their way back to the Gryffindor Common Room.

Once they had reached the Fat Lady's portrait, they were forced to wait a few minutes. Her frame was empty. Apparently, she'd left it to visit her friend Violet, another portrait. When she finally stumbled back into the frame, she held onto a fancy glass of red wine. Wooyoung said the password, but she didn't pay him any mind.

"Oh San, it's you again." She slurred her words. "You're so handsome. I wish you were in Gryffindor." San and Wooyoung exchanged amused looks.

"She's not wrong," Wooyoung commented with a chuckle. "It wouldn't be so bad to have you around here all the time." A grin spread on his lips. "We'd be sharing a dorm."

San grinned back. "I appreciate the sentiment," he said. "But I belong in Slytherin." It took them a while to convince the drunken Fat Lady to swing aside and let them enter as she went on and on about how a fat pony was all Sir Cadogan had to offer. Wooyoung had managed to persuade her by threatening to tell Sir Cadogan that she was actually deeply in love with him - she'd immediately let them in. They climbed through the portrait hole, unable to hold their laughter.

Even though it wasn't allowed to enter the common room of another house, San had been here a couple of times before. It was a cozy, round room full of squashy armchairs, tables, and a bulletin board with school notices, ads, and lost posters. Everything was decorated in several shades of red, the color associated with the house. It suited Wooyoung. Vibrant, lively, and beautiful.

Wooyoung was about to cross the room to head up the winding stairs that would lead them to his dorm room, but San held him back by the wrist. Wooyoung turned to face him, confused. "Not so fast." San chuckled and pulled a tiny box out of his pocket. He'd nearly forgotten about it. "I haven't even given you my present yet."

Wooyoung's eyes widened with surprise. "There's more? I thought the cake and the party were my presents!"

"Oh, Wooyoung. You're so cute." San handed him the box, white with a cute little violet bow wrapped around it. "You really believed I wouldn't get you anything to make this day unforgettable?"

Wooyoung smiled sheepishly as he examined it. "You seriously didn't have to..."

"Well, I can take it back then – "

"Hold your horses, sir. Now that you already gave it to me, I might as well keep it." Wooyoung grinned. He promptly removed the bow and opened the box. San bit his lip in anticipation as he watched him. Wooyoung's jaw dropped. He took the silver necklace out of the box to further inspect its pendant. It was shaped like a key, bedazzled with two little diamond–looking crystals. "You're crazy."

"Do you like it?"

"Are you kidding? It's perfect. I love it." Wooyoung's smile lit up the room. He pressed a kiss to San's cheek and let him put the necklace on for him. It suited him as perfectly as San had hoped.

San smiled. "This necklace will always protect you," he promised. "And so will I."

Wooyoung opened his mouth to reply something but was interrupted by a strange noise. San jerked his head in the direction of the window, where the sound had come from. It had sounded like a muffled thud. "What was that?" asked Wooyoung.

San glanced around the room. The windows were black with darkness and the common room was empty. They were alone. He shrugged. "Probably just something outside."

"Weird..." Wooyoung's gaze lingered on the window for a few more seconds, his face worried. Then he shook his head and snapped out of it. He smiled once he looked back up at San.

"Five minutes until midnight," San pointed out after a few moments of silence. The longer they held each other's gazes, the stronger the tension between them became. "Do you have a final birthday wish I can grant you before it's over?"

Wooyoung took a few steps forward and closed the distance between them. "Yes, actually. There's one more thing I want to do." And without further warning, he cupped San's face in his hands and finally captured his lips in a kiss.

San immediately melted against his lips. Once again, he pulled Wooyoung closer by the waist, leaving not even a single inch of space between their bodies. This was nothing like the occasional pecks they'd exchanged before. It couldn't even compare to any of the (many) kisses San had experienced in past relationships. No, this kiss was hot, hungry, and eager, yet sweet, gentle, and passionate all at once. Wooyoung's lips were so soft and dangerously addictive, San had no clue how or why he hadn't given in to them sooner. After weeks upon weeks of flirtation, they'd finally committed to that burning temptation San knew Wooyoung had felt too.

Wooyoung let a hand run through San's hair, drew him in, deepened their kiss. Time had frozen completely, the common room had disappeared around them, and nothing mattered but the feeling of Wooyoung's lips moving against his own. Wooyoung's sweet scent took over his senses. San walked him backward until his legs stopped at one of the armchairs by the fireplace. He lifted Wooyoung onto its back, allowing him to loosely wrap his legs around San's waist, never breaking their kiss longer than a second. Wooyoung smiled into the kiss and held on to San's shoulders. San had no clue for how long they stayed like this. It could've been a few seconds, a several minutes, an hour - time was an abstract concept to San's half-drunk mind. When they pulled away, both of them smiled like fools, their lips still only inches apart.

I love you, San thought. Words couldn't begin to describe how badly he wanted to whisper those words against Wooyoung's lips. But he didn't. He was going to say it when both of them were sober, guaranteed to remember it for the rest of their lives. He'd say it when the time was right. Instead he whispered, "Happy birthday."

Wooyoung giggled, still clinging on to San in order not to topple over the back of the armchair. When they finally managed to let go of each other, San helped him slide off it and took his hand. They climbed the winding stairs to Wooyoung's dorm room and found it deserted. San figured Jongho and his other roommates were still at the party or spending the night somewhere else.

Wooyoung went to the bathroom to wash up and change into his pajamas, and San took a seat on his bed while he waited. When he returned, San kissed him once more before turning to leave. "Sweet dreams. I'll see you tomorrow."

"You could also sleep here, you know." Wooyoung suggested and tugged on San's sleeve. "With me."

It was a tempting offer - one that San would have definitely agreed to if Wooyoung hadn't been half-drunk. He ran a hand through Wooyoung's hair. "Next time, babe."

Wooyoung gave him one last kiss. "I'll hold you to that."

San reluctantly left the Gryffindor Tower. Too tired to return to the party, he snuck down the Great Stairs and headed into the dungeons - careful not to get caught by any teachers or prefects - and entered his own common room. Changbin was already fast asleep when he entered the dorm room, but Mingi and Yeonjun were apparently still out. San washed up and changed out of his clothes, then he lay in his bed for several minutes, grinning up at the stone ceiling. Wooyoung's taste still lingered on his lips. Part of him regretted that he hadn't told Wooyoung he loved him, but the remaining alcohol in his system soon clouded his sleepy mind. They had all the time in the world. He'd find the perfect moment to tell him that and officially ask him to be his. San's eyes became too heavy to keep open, and he finally allowed sleep to take over.

.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.8K 782 20
Everyone in the world is born with a lock mark and their soulmate has a key mark. But some are born with heart shaped marks. These ones don't have...
49.7K 2.1K 31
Seonghwa, Wooyoung and Hongjoong have been best friends for years. They all three are going to the same university where they'll inevitably make new...
16.5K 538 16
'Hi daddy😘' 'Hey babyboy😏' In which Wooyoung dared Yunho to dm Mingi, his bias from Ateez. The last thing he expected was a response but luck was o...
4.2K 195 14
Wooyoung is really nervous to be apart of the meeting until he strikes conversation with a fellow parent. It turns out that the parent is a Single fa...