The Rogue World Of Dostira

By janebarnettxo

Dostira: Novis et Fortis is a school hidden within the British Isles for special students to learn control ov... More

The Foggy Window
The Guardian
The Auctus Appraisal
Proelium
The Luna Lavinrac
The Moving Pendant
An Unlikely Union
Hodinby
The Exception
The Only Vox Prodigy
The Blue Flame
Alexander Harkness
Pendant Passing
The Small Box
A Date Of Sorts
The Fight and The Fall
A Student Is Missing
The Knights of Angles and The Phoenix
Tamiel Aurum
Door Seventeen
The Weeping Golden Willow
The Failure
IMPORTANT INFORMATION

The Letter

4.4K 141 74
By janebarnettxo

Audrey couldn't sit still, pacing up and down her kitchen as she kept wondering what Charlie had said earlier. She decided to head upstairs and to her bathroom, where she looked into the mirror. Her hazel, amber-speckled eyes stared back at her, as she took a deep breath.

"I'm just going to ask Mum when she comes home later today," she began muttering to herself, "Charlie said she was supposed to tell me something so I'll just ask her".

She looked down at her hands that were clenching the bathroom sink, and within seconds her breathing began to quicken once again. The light flares returned and swarmed her vision as she glanced up to see the top half of her body that was visible in the mirror, outlined in flames. Audrey shut her eyes tight, the skin on her body tingling as she could feel the scorching heat engulfing her. The feeling was overwhelming and she felt a sudden need for release, a desperate desire to scream until her throat burned black. She exhaled sharply and gathered enough strength to speak,

"Stop" she cried as her eyes shot open.

She looked at herself with wide eyes and all that could be related to heat, light or flame had suddenly vanished. Lifting a shaking hand to her forehead, she closed her eyes slowly and let out a sigh. She could feel the sweat gathering on her hairline and so brushed her fingers through her damp hair gently. She looked at herself in the mirror one last time, almost in disbelief of what she had just seen and felt. After standing in front of the mirror for just a few more seconds, she shook her head and scoffed before leaving the bathroom quickly. She couldn't, no she wouldn't, believe what she had just experienced and so walked away from the mirror casually without noticing the burn marks her hands had left on the sink.

It was ten past five and Audrey waited anxiously for her mother's return. She sat down on the red and brown patterned couch that faced the door of their home with her eyes locked on the door handle. A few minutes had past and Audrey's eyes had not swayed until the mundane sound of a car door closing made her leap to her feet, an agitated look on her face as she stood still.

Lizzie Larson opened the door slowly, rummaging around in her handbag to put her keys away. Unaware of her daughters strange manner and position, she closed the door behind her and walked straight past Audrey who stood with her arms crossed.

"Audrey, how was your day?" She asked without turning around to face her.

She took off her jacket and threw it carelessly on the couch along with her handbag before walking towards the kitchen. Audrey didn't respond, she followed her mother into the kitchen unsmiling and silent.

After several minutes of silence, Lizzie slightly turned her head with her back still facing Audrey.

"Was Charlie here?" she asked.

"Yes, he was"

Audrey watched her mother's every move intently.

"Then I guess it's time for you to know the truth" She said a firm and calm manner.

She sat down on a chair positioned beside the small wooden kitchen table and Audrey followed, sitting beside her with her arms crossed.

"I'm guessing Charlie tried to tell you all about who you really are, what you really are" she began.

"Well, you are a solis prodigy. Since ancient times, three out of five children all across the world have been born differently. They are born as prodigies and there are four types. The caeli prodigies are descendants of the Griffin. They have large wings and, when trained, can be extremely powerful and fast. Caeli prodigies are often mediators and are well known pacifists, but that does not mean they cannot fight."

She took a deep breath as the next prodigy she was to talk about disturbed her deeply, but nevertheless she continued with an indifferent look on her face.

"Ignis prodgies are descendants of the Dragon. Their skin ripples to reveal the colourful scales of a dragon and so they cannot be pierced with any metal known to man. Ignis prodigies have the eyes of a dragon and can see beyond one's flesh, which means they are able to distinguish human from prodigy before a prodigy has even transformed. With enough training they can also breathe fire much like a dragon but they cannot fly like one. This type of prodigy breeds fighters and soldiers, but they don't work too well with others. They have a nasty temper."

She glanced over at Audrey, turning to face her and meeting her eyes.

"Now, you are a solis prodigy. Solis prodigies are descendants of the Phoenix. They have the power of the sun and can use heat in combat or to protect themselves. They are strong and, can be trained to lift unimaginably heavy items. Solis prodigies have the wings of a phoenix but don't use them for flight most of the time, for their wings work as a shield of sorts. Solis prodigies often enjoy the company of others and so they grow stronger when in a team."

Mrs Larson looked deep into Audrey's eyes as she reached out to hold onto her hand.

"So you're telling me I'm the descendant of a Phoenix which makes me a team player? Brilliant!" Audrey sarcastically remarked as she pulled her hand away from her mothers soft grasp.

"Audrey, there's a reason why I didn't tell you all of this for so long" Mrs Larson sighed.

"Probably because I would have thought you were insane," she began huffing, "And I should think you're insane. But as stupid as this all sounds, and believe me it sounds incredibly stupid, somehow I believe you".

"Remember how I said three out of five children are born as prodigies?" Mrs Larson began, "Well, not all of them keep their powers".

Audrey frowned as she waited for her mother to continue.

"You see, when a prodigy is born they will often display their powers a few years after their birth. But sometimes their powers fade and don't return." She said slowly.

"So they just forget they had powers? How could you just forget and what about their parents, what happens to them?" Audrey asked.

"The overseers of this region, they're a sort of government, they visit the child for a final examination to ensure they no longer have powers before wiping their memories. They use a herbal root called Vingko, and brew a powerful memory mixture to use on the child and the parents as well. This way, they forget the existence of prodigies and your world can stay hidden."

"My world?" Audrey replied.

"Well, we weren't even sure that you would have powers. It was only by special exception that my memories remain" she said, almost in a whisper.

Audrey looked down for a moment,

"Special exception?".

"It was really very good of the Binko family to consult Alexander Harkness on the matter, or else all this would be a shock to the both of us."

"Alexander Harkness?" Audrey asked.

Her mother tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear and shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

"The new Headmaster, the Ignis Overseer, Alexander was a close friend of your fathers."

"My father? What does he have to do with all of this?" Audrey exclaimed.

Mrs Larson stood up out of her seat and speedily walked away from her.

"Oh this is no time for a thousand questions Audrey!"

"This is the perfect time to ask as many questions as I would like to" she declared, hurrying after her mother who was rushing towards her room.

"Who is Alexander Harkness? And how did my Dad know anything about all of this? Was he like me, or whatever I am?" She continued.

Her mother abruptly stopped and turned to face her with wide eyes, "Enough!".

Audrey suddenly halted, shocked at her mothers sudden outburst. She watched her walk into her room and search through several old drawers before returning with a crumpled letter in her hand.

"Go ask Charlie Binko about it! After all he is your assigned prodigy guardian, not me" she uttered suddenly as she handed her the letter.

"I am incredibly tired, so can we just talk about all of this later?" She continued, shoulders slumped as she headed back towards her room.

At the slam of her mother's door, Audrey groaned and stared at the beige envelope in her hand. It had the words 'Dostira: Novis Et Fortis' imprinted in capitals on the back and was sealed with silver wax. She turned the envelope to her address written on the front in black ink and a chimera of sorts in the corner. The beast had the scales and tail of a dragon, the wings of a phoenix, the head of an eagle and the feet of a lion, yet the eyes appeared human. Although it was stamped in black ink, the eyes of the beast were outlined in silver and glimmered ever so slightly in the light. After curiously admiring the letter for a moment, she left her house and made her way to Charlie's front door.

As she arrived at Charlie's house, she placed the letter in her back pocket before beginning to knock rapidly against the wooden door. She had the intent of yelling at anyone who would have the misfortune of opening it.

Luckily, it was Charlie who answered, instead of his parents.

"You rotten liar!" She cursed as she pushed him back with a forceful shove.

"Why didn't you just tell me the truth, all of it?" She continued as she walked towards him while he shuffled backwards .

"Hello Audrey, please do come in" Charlie mocked as he let out a nervous chuckle.

Looking down at her, he couldn't help but smirk. She was shorter than him but filled with a temper he couldn't match. He lowered his head and bit down on his bottom lip to contain his laughter.

"Look I know you like to mess with me but this," she began as she took out the letter, "isn't funny."

Charlie's smirk dropped and he quickly snatched the letter out of her hand.

"Give it back" she cried out as she reached out her small hands and pulled at his arms.

Being much taller than her, he lifted his arms and tilted his head up while opening the letter. Her short arms struggling to even touch it as she leaned her head back as much as she could to catch a glimpse at the written message that was sealed inside. He muttered aloud to himself as he skimmed through the letter, before slowly lowering his arms.

"So it's official. You're a Nuper and I'm your guardian" he said in a relieved manner as he passed the letter back to her.

"What?"

"Just read the letter Audrey".

She unfolded the paper and read the message aloud,

Audrey Calora Larson
52 Penton Lane
Ferdigton
DURHAM

Dear Miss Larson,

On behalf of the Regional Council of Overseers, I would like to congratulate you on establishing your identity as a Solis Prodigy and on your acceptance to Dostira; a school for prodigies to train and tame their powers before finding their place within the world.

Upon arrival you must undergo the mandatory 'Auctus Appraisal' in order to examine your prodigy powers.

You are to be accompanied by your guardian Charles Binko, Caeli prodigy, and are expected to arrive at Dostira before July 19th as the term commences July 22nd.

Please find the enclosed list of all required books and equipment.

We look forward to receiving you at our school.

Sincerely,

The Grand Council of Overseers

Audrey looked up at Charlie with a raised brow,

"Guardian? Caeli prodigy?"

He walked past her and shut the front door that had been left open for far too long while she awaited his response.

"Yes, I'm a caeli prodigy. Now because I'm older than you and you're a Nuper, I have to be your guardian. I have to escort you to and from the school".

"What did you call me?" She asked with a scowl on her face.

Charlie rolled his eyes before pinching the bridge of his nose,

"I'm sorry okay? It's just a stupid name for a prodigy who got their powers late".

She lifted a finger and opened her mouth to speak but he cut her off and went on,

"That is not important right now though. You have to get you ready, because we're leaving tomorrow morning".

She parted her lips slightly before responding, "What? Tomorrow?"

Charlie nodded and walked her towards the door.

"Yes Audrey, tomorrow at exactly five"

She stuttered, lost for words as she had plenty to say but all that came out was,

"Who is Alexander Harkness?"

Charlie froze and let out an awkward chuckle.

"He's our headmaster, but everyone calls him Mr Harkness or Harkness".

"Everyone including you?" She said inquisitively.

"Well, I call him Alex but that's because, well..." he trailed off as Audrey stared at him.

"Enough questions, okay? You can ask me as many as you want on the drive tomorrow".

Within seconds, Audrey found herself facing Charlie's door with the letter crumpled in her hand and her head buzzing slightly with the pressure of one hundred questions bouncing around inside her brain. As Charlie stood behind her, she exhaled deeply.

 "Okay Binko".

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.4K 641 20
Welcome to the Academy of all, this is a school that teaches any kinds of classes, kinda like a universities but you can learn a lot more to say the...
2 0 1
Imagine being a rebellious ballerina, about to discover she's not fully human and about to go through quite a magical transformation Olivia is 13 and...
334 0 49
Four months ago, Alice Mason's best friend died in a car accident. An accident she somehow miraculous survived. Since that night she has been plag...
87 22 13
We all claim we know the world but when an accident makes us realise that what we know isn't everything then what do we do? ...