In Flames // 9-1-1 Fox (seaso...

By akila47

"Keep your confessions Cause babe I'm no saint We're playing with fire" - In Flames, Digital Daggers Mariana... More

prologue
cast list
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen - Mariana Begins
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen // season two
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
important.
twenty-one
twenty two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven - season three
thirty-eight
thirty-nine
forty
forty-two
forty-three
forty-four
forty-five
forty-six
forty-seven
forty-eight
forty-nine
fifty
fifty-one
fifty-two
fifty-three
fifty-four
fifty-five
fifty-six
fifty-seven
fifty-eight
fifty-nine
ch. 36 extra scene - Eddie's POV
sixty
sixty-one
sixty-two
sixty-three
sixty-four
sixty-five
sixty-six
sixty-seven - season 4
sixty-eight
sixty-nine
seventy
seventy-one
seventy-two
seventy-three
seventy-four
seventy-five
seventy-six
seventy-seven
seventy-eight
seventy-nine
eighty
eighty-one
eighty-two
eighty-three
eighty-four
eighty-five
eighty-six
eighty-seven
eighty-eight
eighty-nine
ninety
ninety-one
ninety-two
ninety-three
ninety-four
ninety-five
ninety-six
ninety-seven
a letter to the readers and to Mariana
quick state of the union
on plagiarism and representation
one million. thank you.
apologies for the notification

forty-one

22.4K 549 133
By akila47

Of course, being Mariana Ramirez, that didn't go as planned. She had started a human chain of survivors as she maneuvered around the debris, occasionally getting into the water to move something into place or rescue someone. By God, she was exhausted but she was also determined. They were about fifteen feet out from their destination when the third surge hit.

"Hold on!" she shouted, planting her feet on an overturned car. Jenny held her left arm and the line continued down of everyone holding onto each other. Mariana grit her teeth, clinging to the axle of the car. Really fucking ironic, huh? The thing she used to use to let out some rage was now saving her.

A person floated by as the wave calmed down and Mari reached out, calling out for them to grab her hand. She frowned and grabbed their wrist, feeling for a pulse.

Dead.

"Jenny, give me Erica," the brunette said quietly. Jenny hesitated, but once she saw what Mariana was looking at, she understood. The firefighter wrapped her arms around the young girl and stabilized her leg, tucking Erica's face in her neck, and gestured for the others to look away.

A raft with bodies on it floated by, the water around them a mixture of blood and dirt. Mariana's blank stare followed them as they floated by, a lump of emotions growing in her throat. She had seen death before. It was seemingly commonplace in her life. But there was something about seeing the raft that felt like a punch to the gut.

"We need to keep going," she announced when the raft passed. Her expression was hard and stoic, a well placed mask so she didn't scare the others. But all Mariana wished for right now was to be curled up on the couch in between her two boys.

Thank God they were safe.

It took an hour to get fifteen feet but hell, they did it. Mariana stood on top of the city bus that was grounded below the garage and helped lift people up onto the level. The sun was in position for about three o'clock. Did anyone realize she wasn't at home? Surely Eddie would have called. If he tried her cell phone and she never answered...

Mariana pushed the thoughts aside as she crouched down and reached out to help another person up onto the bus and then onto the parking garage. She had amassed maybe forty people over time and she needed to start triaging them soon.

"Frank, you're doing amazing," she called up to the guy who was helping her lift people up. He sent her a thumbs up as she interlocked her fingers and kneeled down so the woman she just pulled out of the water could get up.

"We'd all be lost without you, Ramirez," he protested.

"Just doing my job."

"Well, you must be damn good at your job."

She shrugged as she studied the waters around them. There was no one left to rescue at the moment that she could see. No one alive, at least.

Every time she shut her eyes, she saw the slack jaws and vacant eyes of those who floated by. Those that she couldn't save.

"Coming up, Frank!" she called, shaking off her thoughts. The second she reached up to grab his hands, the bus lurched to the side. Mariana let out a loud swear as she stumbled, turning her head to see the water rushing back to the ocean. The bus shuddered again and started to pull away from the garage, heading straight for a glass building.

"Ramirez!"

With a desperate last attempt, she ran to the edge of the bus and jumped, her hand enclosing around the edge of the parking garage. She slammed into the concrete, the hard rock grating her skin as she let out a hiss of pain. Her fingers tried to find purchase on the slick rock, but she found herself slipping. Glancing down at the rushing water that bit at her ankles, the firefighter swallowed past the lump in her throat. Shutting her eyes, she began to pray.

God, I know I've messed up a lot. I know I've cheated death plenty of times. Just please, let me come home to them once more.

Her arms were growing tired and Mariana felt an impending sense of doom contort around her. The last time she was in this position...

"Please! Please don't!" she screamed. Her uncle scoffed, kicking at her fingers. Her fingers couldn't take the brunt of the hit and she let go, crashing to the hardwood floor below her. A loud snap radiated from her leg and she let out a scream. There were sirens in the distance and-

Just as her fingers slipped, hands grabbed around her wrist. Mariana's eyes snapped open and she stared up at Jenny and Frank in shock as others started to lean down and help pull her up. Once she was able to, the latina swung her leg up and over the ledge before she collapsed onto the pavement, chest heaving with exertion.

"Thank you," she choked out.

"No. Thank you," Jenny argued.

Mariana decided to let this one drop and instead pushed herself up onto her elbows so she could see everyone better. "Let's start triaging and treating. If you can spare some clothes, please do. We need to set up flags for search and rescue to see."

///

Eddie shouldn't have let his hopes get up when he heard the family call out something about "la bombera". He had thought that maybe...just maybe...

But no. He was introduced to Lena Bosko of the 136 instead. Bobby could see the hint of disappointment in his features. Of course he could, Bobby could read everyone like a book.

"I'm sure she's fine. She's probably already at the meeting point helping people."

"Yeah, probably," Eddie muttered as the boat drove back into the city limits. The water had receded, only coming up to mid thigh in the deepest areas.

"Our team is still stuck on the other side. Our trucks can't get through just yet. Earth movers are still clearing the roads," Bobby announced.

"118's hoofing it for a while," Eddie bit out. "Any call ins?"

"It looks that way and no, not yet. Have faith, Eddie. Hen and Chimney are readying some turnout backpacks until we're mobile again. Bosko, your crew from your house are all alive and accounted for except Captain Cooper. He's still MIA. I'm sorry."

"Well, if it's all the same to you, Captain, I'm gonna stick around and look for him."

"Why are you holding yourself like that?" Bobby questioned.

"It's nothing. Bruised rib."

"Let me take a look at that," Eddie offered. Hell, after four months of seeing Mari deal with broken ribs, he knew that it could hurt like a bitch.

"I said it's nothing."

He really wasn't in the mood to argue today. "Clearly it's not."

"Are you gonna drop this?" Bosko snapped.

"Hey, Bosko. Let him have a look. I'm not asking."

Eddie did what he always did to check on Mari, except he was far less gentle with Bosko. Usually Mari was bribed with a kiss or two before she let him check her ribs. This time, he simply knelt down and pressed down with two fingers. Bosko hissed out in pain, practically buckling.

"Yeah, that's not a bruise. That's broken. Must be hurting like a bitch."

"Yeah, well, breathing isn't super fun," she gasped out.

"I'm calling it, you're off the field," Bobby decided.

"Sir, I said I'm fine!"

"USAR is setting up a command point at the VA on Sawtelle. Eddie, I want you to stick with her just in case her desire to track down her captain causes her to lose her way."

"Bobby, I need to be out here searching for-"

"We don't even know if she's out here. I'm going to meet up with the 118. Rendezvous with us when you can."

"Copy that, cap."

He grabbed his phone out of his pack, finding no new messages from Buck or Mari. With a sigh, he sent Buck a quick message before folding his phone up in the dry case again.

"Who are you texting?" Bosko asked.

"My son. Lost his mother a few months ago and I don't want him to worry. At least I know he's safe." His voice grew quiet at his next statement. "Same can't be said for the whole family."

///

The sun set around nine and Mariana was trying to keep the kids from feeling the bite of the wind. Everyone was soaking wet and they had no blankets. So she found herself sitting down with six kids sitting on top of her as she sang softly to them.

With the water receding, Mari sent two of their party out to find help or supplies. She needed to stay back to be with those who had critical traumas. A few compound fractures, some lacerations, and the most severe: a severe laceration to the calf. With the length of time she had it belted off, Mariana was concerned about amputation. She didn't let her concern show though.

"Do you have any kids?" Jenny asked from beside her, Erica curled up in her mom's arms.

"No. Well, kinda. He's my boyfriend's son, but I love him as my own. His name's Christopher and he's the sweetest kid alive. He lost his mom a few months back and it's been difficult to not confuse him. I don't know, I'm sorry, I'm rambling."

"You're fine," Jenny chuckled. "You sound like you love him."

"With my whole heart. His dad isn't half bad either. I miss them."

Mariana laid her head back onto the concrete behind them and stared up at the stars. Before Jenny could say anything, another survivor began to yell.

"Ramirez! These guys say they can help us!"

Mariana stood up quickly but gently settled the kids down next to Jenny. She jogged towards him, a smile lighting up on her face when she saw who he was talking to. Chimney swept her up into a tight hug and spun her around.

"Mariana Ramirez, you always find yourself in trouble, don't you?" he cried.

"My papi always said I was a little devil."

He radioed the coast guard to evacuate the group but agreed to load her most emergent patient in one of the vans. Jenny insisted she go with him and everyone agreed with her.

"You saved our lives, Mariana. Go be with your family," Jenny urged.

Mariana hugged her tightly before rushing back to join Chimney. He opened the driver side door for her and she slid in, a small smile on her face.

"You're explaining all of this when we're all together," he ordered.

///

Her name wasn't anywhere on any list at the VA. Eddie was going insane. He tried calling her six more times with no response. She could be lying in the streets of LA right now or floating out to sea or-

"Girl problems?" Bosko interrupted his thoughts.

"Haven't heard from my girlfriend since this morning."

"I'm sure she's fine. Probably in her apartment finger painting. Guy like you would date a girl like that."

"Pretty sure Mariana doesn't paint unless Chris asks her too," he replied absentmindedly. "And she went for a run by the beach this morning. I don't know where she is."

///

Mari honked the horn of the truck with a devilish little grin on her face as she stopped in front of Bobby and Hen. Within seconds of being out of the truck, the two firefighters were hugging her.

"You look like shit, kid," Hen commented and Mariana shrugged. "I got into a fight with a cement wall and somehow won."

Granted, she hadn't looked in a mirror all day. Mariana focused on helping folks into the trucks until Bobby started yelling for them to go. She hopped into the driver's seat again, foot on the gas and ready to drive when he gave the final go order. She floored it, watching as a tanker blew in her rearview mirror.

Chim, sandwiched between Hen and Mari, radioed over to Bobby. Everyone was fine.

"Way too close," she commented, her headlights flashing onto a crowd of people. The former streetracer slammed on the breaks, staring at the people in complete shock.

"Looks like we're going to need a bigger truck," she muttered. She hopped out along with the other two as Chim radioed Bobby.

"Is anyone injured? We're going to get more transportation vehicles here right now but I need to know if anyone can't walk. Todo bien? Necesitas ayuda?"

The woman in the front stepped forward, a young boy cradled in her arms. "Este chico no puede caminar. Busca para un Buck."

Mariana's heart dropped and she immediately held her arms out to take him. The woman handed him over and Mariana pushed his hood back, her eyes filling up with relieved tears.

"Mari!" he cried, his small arms wrapping around her neck.

"Hey buddy! Funny meeting you here!" she laughed breathlessly, pulling him into a hug. Her heart had practically dropped when the woman handed him to Mari and she needed to stay calm for him.

"Are you Buck?" the woman asked.

"No...no. I'm his...He's my...Mijo."

The woman nodded in understanding and left, letting Mari be with Chris. She kept him firmly held in her arms as she kneeled down, all the air in her lungs being knocked out. Chris had been out there in that awful water and Buck...where was Buck? Where was her best friend?

"Mari, I lost Buck."

"I know buddy, but we're going to find him. Were you scared?"

"A little. But I knew Buck and daddy and you were out there. You're never scared."

She couldn't respond to that because in that moment, with the realization of possibly losing him hanging over her head, Mariana felt more scared than she had in a long time. She let out a shuddering breath and held him tighter.

"My brave boy," she finally said. "Mijo valiente."

Mariana wouldn't let Chris leave her arms. Instead of driving, she sat in the back of the truck with the others and sang softly to Chris as he faded in and out of sleep. Poor kid had a hell of a day and deserved to sleep. Bobby hadn't realized who he was until he tried to get Mariana to pass him off to another person. It had been years since she had snapped at him so aggressively but once she told him who it was, he understood. Mariana rested her head against the cool metal of the truck, shutting her eyes as they bumpily passed over debris.

///

Eddie couldn't breathe. First, there was no indication of Mariana Ramirez anywhere at the VA or at the other rescue points. Now, Buck appeared at the VA looking beat up with Christopher's glasses around his neck.

It felt like an absolute punch to the gut, lungs, and heart. Tears welled in his eyes as Buck kept talking but all his mind could process was that they were gone. Not just Mariana but now Christopher too. Bile rose in his throat and his knees were so close to buckling when suddenly he saw the most beautiful sight in the world appear from a mail truck.

His Mariana looked beat beyond hell, wet hair plastered to bloody and bruised skin. But in her arms was the unmistakable form of his son and Eddie Diaz, not one to cry, damn near wept at the sight.

"Mariana! Christopher!" he shouted, pushing past Buck. Mariana practically went limp in relief as she passed him Chris. He kneeled down, not trusting his legs to carry his weight as he pulled Christopher into a hug.

"Oh my God. Oh my God," he babbled, kissing the top of Christopher's head before glancing up at Mariana. She was trembling, either from the wind crashing on her soaked body or from emotions, and he reached out and grabbed her hand.

"I had no clue he was out there. B-Buck saved him," she said quietly, not trusting her voice to get much louder. The two adults turned to look at Buck who was staring at them in complete shock before his knees gave out and he collapsed into Bobby and Hen's arms.

Mariana didn't even hesitate to rush over to him. Buck stared up at her, fully ready for Momma Bear Ramirez to make herself known. Instead, Mariana kneeled down and pulled him into a bone crushing hug.

"Thank you. Thank you so, so much," she whispered. He slowly wrapped his arms around her, his eyes meeting with Eddie's as the man walked up to join them with Christopher in his arms. Eddie sent him a small nod, a grateful smile playing on his lips.

"We need to get you three inside and checked out," Bobby announced. Mariana pulled away from Buck.

"I'm still pissed at you. I'm glad you're okay."

Mariana stood and Eddie instantly pressed a hand along her back, leading her towards the entrance of the VA.

He found a free cot and set Christopher in it as Hen immediately took over checking his vitals and if he was injured at all. His stubborn girlfriend refused to be treated until Christopher was cleared. Eddie turned to check her over, realizing that she was only wearing thin running shorts and a torn up rash guard over her swimsuit.

"What the hell are you wearing?" he exclaimed, grabbing an emergency blanket off of one of the supply tables.

"I was at the beach!" she shot back, tears glimmering in her hazel eyes.

"Next time we're going to the beach together. With rafts. And a life vest," he joked, pushing some of her tangled hair behind her ear so he could cup her cheek.

"Yeah," she sobbed out, the emotions finally hitting her.

Eddie pressed a kiss to her forehead as he wrapped one arm around her waist. He waited for her breathing to even out as the adrenaline wore off and the second she fell limp against him, he scooped her up and helped situate her on the bed next to Chris.

"Mari?" Christopher asked.

"She'll be okay buddy. She had a long day just like you. While Hen helps you, I'm going to help Mari."

Bosko found Eddie an hour later to thank him and apologize for her attitude. She found him seated on a cot with a young boy curled up fast asleep laying across his chest and a woman asleep with her head in his lap.

"Hey...thank you," she said quietly. He nodded, glancing down at the two people sleeping and glanced back at her.

"To be honest, if Cap hadn't ordered me to go, I would probably still be out there looking for these two."

"Heading home soon?"

"Yeah, I just didn't want to move them when they're sleeping. They both had a long day."

The woman in his lap stirred, eyes blearily blinking awake. Lena watched as Diaz's eyes softened and his hand brushed along the woman's cheek. The woman raised her head, a soft grunt of pain spilling past her lips.

"Mari, this is Lena Bosko of the 136. She was at the pier," Eddie introduced.

"Hi. Mariana Ramirez of the 118." Mari pushed herself up into a sitting position, revealing the massive bruising and scrapes on the left side of her body. The brunette noticed Lena's stare and smirked. "Concrete hurts like a bitch."

"Yeah, I get that. Two broken ribs."

Ramirez winced in empathy. "I had four of those a few months back."

"Not to mention the punctured lung," Eddie added. "Your second one, to be exact."

"Right, sorry nurse Diaz. Do you keep a copy of my medical file on hand at all times?"

He rolled his eyes and sat up with her, keeping an arm around the kid. Mariana leaned back to look over his shoulder and see the kids face. Lena watched as the brunette ran a hand over the kid's curls before she rubbed his back.

"Hey pollito. We're going to start heading back home. How does that sound?"

He nodded against his dad's shoulder and she smiled up at Eddie before turning back to Lena. "Have a good night, Lena. Hope those ribs heal quickly."

"Thanks. Get home safe."

A/N: I feel guilty leaving y'all with cliffhangers alsdjflaskjf

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24K 662 22
"no return we'll crash and burn" ~~ In which two friends fall in love despite their best efforts not to ~~ (extended summary inside) Evan Buckley x O...
20.6K 632 22
"Question, how do you put up with me?" Buck questioned "I don't know, I ask myself that everyday. But then I think, if everyone else can...I might as...
127K 2.9K 26
Buck is 9 when his sister leaves him and his family alone for her boyfriend Doug when she turns 18. Still at age 9, Buck realizes he's getting even l...
13.2K 431 10
"Our hearts still beat." Antonia, better known as Toni, is the Chief Trauma Surgeon of the emergency department, a former army surgeon, and has parti...