The Summer of 1916

Por injunction

Around a crackling fire, an old woman recalls her long-abandoned past. Stories of betrayal, grief and decepti... Más

The Summer of 1916
Chapter One: The Martin's Mansion
Chapter Two: A Cup of Tea
Chapter Three: A Deal
Chapter Five: Bethany
Chapter Six: Unprecedented

Chapter Four: Camellia

233 13 6
Por injunction

Author's note:   

Hey guys! It's been months, huh? I am so sorry I've been slacking off, but it's only because I've been busy with school exams. With the latter done and dusted, I'm free for summer writing, so expect more frequent updates.  

I just would like to extend a very genuine thank you for all of your support and understanding in my absence. You guys have absolutely been the greatest.  Also, there may be some paragraph errors. Wattpad completely erased my paragraphs and I had to fix them just now. It's also kind of 3:27am right now so I'm working off of a coffee-induced haze, so I've most likely over looked a couple of things! I'm sorry for the poor quality (I know, it's no excuse for a writer... but still...)

If you find any errors in this, please tell me!

- Grace    

Chapter Four:  

“Wow, gran,” Haley said as her lips parted and curved into a sly smile. “This is getting interesting."

“Mm,” Catherine hummed. Haley sat by her great-gran's old rocking chair, caressing her fair hands gently. She noticed Catherine's eyelids were beginning to droop and the grip of her fingers were loosening.

“Are you tired now, gran?” When there was no reply, Haley smiled and adjusted Catherine's blanket so that it sat bundled together closer to her neck. “How about we head to bed now, hey? It's getting awfully late.”  

While Catherine's deteriorating body was screaming 'yes', her mind was adamant. She had to overcome the sirens of tiredness.

“We can start off again tomorrow,” Haley suggested. This time, Catherine's lips tightened into a thin line. There was an eerie moment of silence before she had answered with a finalized blow that impaled Haley's heart.

“What if, my love, I do not live until tomorrow?”  

                                                           *            *            *  

Hannah and Susan had helped to prepare my hair into a slick bun. We headed out into the hallway before the bell had even rung. When it did, I found myself jumpy and agitated. 

“What's wrong?” Susan had asked after noticing my alarmed state. “Is something troubling you?”

“I—I,” I looked at Susan who raised her eyebrows. “Nothing.” Knowing she wasn't get any answer from me, Susan gave an empathetic nod and offered a smile.  

The hallway which was once again cluttered with cheap rave was immediately silenced with the intimidating clickity-clack of Sophie's heels as they dug into the marble floor. There was a quality in Sophie that I admired: her ability to command attention without a single word was impressive. While I knew it was mostly fueled out of fear, it was still a definite sign of influence.  

“Ladies.” Sophie sported a sardonic grin. “We know the procedure.” With that, we all—myself included—clustered up into our little groups waiting with hollow anticipation as we waited for our first task. Sophie began walking towards the groups, sliding the pencil from her ear and tapping on her wooden clipboard as she gave nods of approval. She walked towards our group and I couldn't help but feel nervous.

“I hope you slept well,” she said monotonously. There was no reply. “You ladies,” she said as she rifled through her papers, “are gardening this morning.”

“And our second job?” I asked, but suddenly regretted. 

“That question will be satisfied later,” Sophie said as she narrowed her eyes and left.  

After we were all assigned our groups, I waited for our dismissal, but Sophie cleared her throat. We all turned our heads and found her standing on the raised platform of the hall with her hands on her hips.

“You must all be aware of why only one task has been assigned to you today,” she said sternly. Her eyes were locked onto mine. “Today, we will be holding the engagement dinner for Alexander and Bethany.” It was clearly an event that everyone was informed about which was evident in their neutral expressions, but my new arrival lack of interest in the tabloids had meant I was very unacquainted with it.   

“Well will need all hands to be available,” Sophie continued, “so after completing your first job we will all be gathering at the dining hall. We are to receive the decorations by midday so be prompt.” She slid her pencil behind her ear and clapped her hands, finally dismissing us.  

Led by Victoria, we made our way towards the front of the house to the main garden. I had seen earlier before I had entered the house, but was unable to enjoy it fully. Now that I had seen its nobility in a sober state, I was in awe. 

“As to be expected from the Martins,” I said.

“I, for one, am excited,” Tanya said as she rolled up the sleeves of her over-sized dress. “I do have quite the green thumb, don't you know?”

“No, I didn't,” I replied dully. Tanya looked at me and shone a bright smile. I looked at her and cocked my head. Her face displayed no trace of yesterday's ordeal. She acted in a manner so well disguised that it was impossible to tell that she had been there with me yesterday. By the looks of things, she was well rested. I couldn't imagine how she was able to.

“What's with the glazed stare?” Hannah asked after noticing my blank expression. I jolted back to reality and turned to Hannah.

“Isn't this a bit much for a garden?” 

There was an entire acre of land filled with elaborate looking flowers, ranging from oriental poppies to foxgloves, all littered around the field in a calculated manner. Behind this stood a cozy white study, with tuffs of hydrangeas protruding from the gaps of the picket fence that enclosed it. A wooden patio extended from the entrance, giving it a cottage appearance. I raised my head and gaped at the naturally manipulated arch of vines that hugged the path leading up to it.

“Much?” Hannah scoffed. “If you think this is much, you should see the back garden.”

“The greenhouse is phenomenal,” Tanya said, her eyes lighting up. She turned to the large transparent house filled with green shrubs and herbs situated across from us.

“What's phenomenal is that fountain,” I said, gesturing to the large angelic sculpture that acted as a focal point of the garden. I walked towards it and leaned into the water. “What kind of fish are these?”

“Koi,” answered Victoria. “Richard and his sons are fond of exotic animals.”  

“Well,” started Tanya. “We ought to get started.”

“I agree,” Hannah said. “Have you ever gardened before, Cathy?”

“At home,” I replied sheepishly. “Not anything major—I just helped Ma with the weeding and planting.”

“That's all the experience you need.”  

Tanya, who did have a genuine affinity for gardening, offered to help me. We kneeled before a large patch of assorted flowers, speckled with weeds in between them.

“These,” Tanya said, “are-”

“Carnation flowers,” I replied. Tanya's fingers traced delicately along the fuchsia border of the petals, giving it a gentle whiff. 

“How did you know?”

“They're my favourite,” I admitted. 

“Mine is the camellia,” Tanya said. “But they don't have any here. My Pa and I used to plant them back home...” Her voice drifted. “We should get to weeding.”

“Why do we need to weed?”  

Tanya thought for a moment before answering. “They're a nuisance.”

“Why?”

“Well,” Tanya said, as she pulled one out by its root. “You see, plants have three fundamental requirements: sunlight, soil and water.” Her fingers lightly brushed across the petal of a flax flower. “Weeds deprive plants of these things; competing with them by taking all the sunlight, all the soil, all the water. They prevent the growth of the other plants.”

I looked at the weed in Tanya's hand. It had leaves, roots; it even bore a flower. Was it not a plant just like all the others here? Was it only a nuisance because it was abundant? 

“I don't think they're a nuisance,” I said as I reluctantly pulled one out. “They're simple entities, just trying to fulfill themselves but we snuff them out before they succeed. Is it because they lack the sophistication of a camellia? I think weeds are strong. Though they are deprived, they conquer by all means. That's admirable.” Tanya paused as if to register what I had just said. "Sorry," I started. "It's just a thought-"

“Why are you apologizing? I've never thought of it that way before.” 

Though slightly hesitant, Tanya did still manage to efficiently pluck out many weeds. They stacked up quickly, and before we knew it, we found ourselves among a large piles of white clovers, pigweed and dandelions. I picked up the mustard flower and patted it gently.

“See,” I added to Tanya, who was happily pulling out a large family of pigweeds. “Aren't they just as lovely as a pansy?”

“I think so now,” Tanya replied. 

“Tanya!” called Victoria from across the garden. “We need you!”

“Ah,” Tanya said, dusting off the soil from her dress. “I really think they should be giving us something more appropriate to work in. I'll just go over there.” I nodded. I watched as Tanya disappeared off to where Victoria and the others were.

Susan was carrying a metal pale with Victoria not far behind, carrying a tray of white stained wash cloths. Hannah was somewhere behind them all, tampering with wires that were connected to the fountain. She pulled a switch and stopped the flow of water.

Jasmine and Georgia, among the other girls in our little group, were offering their assistance too. They walked along the edge of the fountain with long mesh nets resting on their shoulders as they stalked the koi prey and shifted them into another container. 

I rummaged through the pile of weeds with a frown. I did want to help them, but I knew if they needed my help, they would have hollered. Instead, I stayed behind and quietly sulked as I pulled out weeds and added them to the pile. 

I found a family of dandelions suffocated under a large sunflower and pulled it out. One in the bunch had already transformed into the fluff of white, drooping at the stem.   I closed my eyes and hushed my thoughts. I wish, I had begun, but then paused. What did I wish for? If I could wish for anything at all. I wishI wish... I winked an eye open, shook my head and blew. I didn't want anything.  

“I think dandelions are lovelier than pansies,” said a slow husky voice from behind me. I jumped, clearly surprised, but eased down. Calmly turning my head, I cupped my eyes from the sun and examined the broad shouldered silhouette shadowed by the light.

“You do?” I said, wiping my damp neck with my wrist. “I, too, have always been very fond of them.” The figure moved and crouched down beside me. I took a hard look at him and squinted.

“Is there a problem?” He took off his wide-brimmed hat and used it to fan his sweaty face. He was square jawed and handsome, with a strong build. I peered at him for a moment and thought. He looked slightly familiar.  Where had I seen him before? I scratched my head and thought. 

"Do I know you?"

"I don't know. Do you?" he asked playfully.

“Are you the gardener?”

“You could say that,” he replied. I looked at his khaki gardening gloves and wrinkled my nose. Behind him was a red wheel burrow filled with smooth looking stones and a garden rake. “How long have you worked here for?”

“This is actually only my second day,” I replied nonchalantly as I struggled to pull a weed. “Could you give me a hand?” He looked at me and smiled with kind eyes.

“Sure, ma'am.”

He motioned for me to give way and I moved to the side and watched as he grasped the weed with both hands and pulled tightly.

“It seems to be in quite deep,” he said, furrowing his brows.

“Looks like you haven't been doing your job very well, Mister Gardener,” I said with a slight chuckle. “No matter. I am sure we will both be able to get it out.” I grasped my hands onto the weed as well and pulled with all my might. It didn't budge. Pursing my lips, I bended my knees and heaved again.

“Don't strain yourself,” he said sedately. “It is not something worth getting injured over.”

“It would work better if we pulled in unison,” I suggested. “On the count of three,” I said. “One,” I started.

“Two,” he said, as he exchanged a vigilant glance.

“Three,” we said together, as we pulled at it. It came out quickly, forcing the both of us to stumble backwards. We staggered into a cushioned fall, with many thanks to the pile of weeds we landed on. I found sprawled over his solid chest and felt my face flush. He closed his eyes tightly. “Sorry,” I mumbled, as I untangled myself from him.

“Are you alright?”

“I'm alright,” he said, “though, your elbow is digging into my ribs.”

“Sorry,” I said again, reacting quickly and pulling myself away from him. 

“It's alright,” he assured me. “We all go through the mill, I suppose.”

“Though must it be through the hard way?” I said with a laugh.   

He stood up and patted himself down, offering me a hand after noticing I was still slumped in the pile of dandelions. I grabbed his hand and he pulled me up. 

“I'm Cathy,” I said blatantly. 

“Christopher,” he said. We were still holding hands and he shook it in a friendly manner. He looked at the sun and shielded his eyes.

“I do believe I must get going now. It was nice meeting you, Cathy.”

“Likewise,” I replied. “Will I be seeing you around?”

“I sincerely hope so,” Christopher replied, before bending down to grab his hat and bidding his farewell. He took his wheel burrow and pushed it away.

I rolled up my sleeves until they reached my elbows and took a hearty glance and what I had accomplished. I looked at Tanya and everyone else, who were still thoroughly scrubbing the porcelain fountain. I made my way towards them and watched as they competently wiped it until it was gleaming.

“Do you need any help?” I offered.

“Oh, yes please,” Susan said. “Will you be a star and help us polish this darned thing?”

“It would be my pleasure,” I said, as I grabbed a washcloth and adopted their immaculate cleaning habits.   

By the end of it, my arm had turned limp, but it was an effort that had not gone wasted. From a distance, the fountain sparkled under the heavy sunlight. It had gotten terribly hot, which Victoria deduced as a sign of it nearing midday.

“We ought to be heading back now,” Victoria said as she patted her neck with a dry washcloth.

“I agree,” Tanya said. She ran a hand through her hair and sighed. “The things I would do for a cold bath.”

“I'm sure you'll get one soon,” Victoria cooed. “Sophie has a fine eye for detail so I'm sure she will want everyone to be at their best.”  

As we entered back into the mansion, we were immediately guided back quickly by a pair of charming young butlers who were already dressed in their slick tailcoats and striped dress trousers. 

“This way, ladies,” one had said, before they began chatting up Susan, who didn't seem too thrilled. They walked with a quickened pace as they escorted us back to the dining hall, touring us as if we were not already accustomed to the mansion.

“Thank you,” Hannah said with a false politeness, “but I think we will be able to manage from here.” They left in a forlorn state.  

Though I had only spend a minimal time at the mansion, I was in the standing that nothing else would be able to impress me from this point on. I couldn't be further from the truth. As we entered half-finished dining hall, I found myself in another dismal awe-struck state, where all of my abilities were reaped from me. The only thing I was capable of doing was standing and staring.

"Close your mouth," Susan giggled.

"You look like a fish," Hannah laughed. She brought her fingers to my chin and manually closed it for me.  

The only thing remaining from the original dining hall was the crystal chandelier. The red velvet walls were replaced with a charming white wallpaper, garnished extensively with an embossed golden print. The lonely dining table had taken up little space in the hall to begin with. Though it was incredibly large on its own, it barely counted for a fraction of the hall. Even with it being temporarily gone, since the hall was of such a substantial size, it was almost as if it wasn't even there to begin with.  

In its place were many round tables, dressed in a tablecloths that resembled over-sized doilies. The plates were being arranged on them by the male butlers. They arranged a ridiculous amount of unnecessary culterly beside each plate. To maintain the simple elegance of the hall, a single glass vase with two white roses were the only things decorating the tables.  

The red drapes were gone and replaced with gold banners. At the far end of the hall, where the elevated platform and podium was situated, was a large congratulatory banner, spelling out the names of Alexander and his betrothed, Bethany. I scoffed, remembering Alexander and his pre-marital act of adultery. Tanya looked at me and exchanged a weary glance.

So, she hadn't forgotten, I mused. 

Our group had arrived relatively early, so we were naturally ordered to help around with the minimal tasks, such as setting the tables or helping to pin up the banners. 

“Where does this spoon go?” I asked Susan who was whimsically humming. “Why do they have so many?”

“Oh, this?” She didn't explain the arrangement, but simply picked it up and placed them down accordingly. The rest of the maids had piled in and when Sophie was sure that everyone was present, she commanded attention with a simple double snap of her fingers.

"Thank you all for your co-operation,” Sophie said, looking more delighted than usual. “We have managed to complete everything on schedule. We will only need fifteen hands working the kitchen as Richard has already personally organized the chefs in charge. If I have not spoken to you earlier about working the kitchen, you will be serving.”  

“We're serving?” I asked Tanya. She nodded.

“You will need to stay pleasant, responsive and calm,” continued Sophie. If you encounter any problems, refer to me, but please take some initiative. I thank you all for your unanimity during this time. From this time until six o'clock this evening, you are all to relax and freshen up.” She cleared her throat. “You are dismissed.”  

Victoria certainly was correct about her assumption about Sophie and her keen eye for being immaculate. When we arrived into our rooms, we were greeted to a new pair of navy slacks and a matching fitted pullover. They were folded neatly onto our beds.

Hannah and Susan couldn't contain themselves and stripped from their garments immediately, oblivious to the open door and passing people. They grabbed a towel and their pair of undergarments which were hanging on the coat hang and raced each other towards the bathroom, giggling.  

I climbed onto my bed and rubbed my palms against the smooth texture of the new blouse. While I was eager to change into the new clothes, I knew that the bathroom would already be packed. Instead, I sat at the edge of the bed, swinging my legs back and forth as I waited for the race to the bathroom to end. I smoothed over the back of the slacks and unfolded it.

I lay back down onto the bed and gave myself the opportunity to unwind. I had only spent two days here—not even two days—and it had already felt like an intense game. I questioned my ability to endure two, surely agonizing months, of this.   

My body had already reached its height and I felt physically and mentally drained. There was nothing more I wanted to do than to return home: to lie in bed with no circumstantial worries, to be festive and merry. Maybe, that was my wish.  

My train of thought was shortly interrupted after the door shuddered open and a shaking Susan entered the room. 

“These feel divine,” she said as she proceeded to dry her hair with a towel.

“You showered quickly,” I commented.

“We all do,” Susan replied. Hannah entered the room on cue, dressed in her pair of identical slacks. 

“I wouldn't recommend going in there now,” Hannah said. “I'd give it a half hour, or so.”  

After mostly everyone had finished their shower, I entered the bathroom, appalled at its condition. It was a relatively large room with tiled floors and stone cubicals lined up for privacy. A simple curtain hanging on a rail denied entry into the shower. It was dully lit with flickering bulbs and only one window.

The mirrors were clouded and the ceiling had droplets of water vapour. The floor was covered in a thin green film that felt sticky under my bare feet. I narrowed my eyes in search for a place to hang my clothes but failed, and found myself hanging it over the railing that held the curtain.  

I stripped down and hesitantly turned the knob to the water. I held my hand out towards the water, wriggling my fingers under the nippy water. I reluctantly headed under it, instantly regretting it. The freezing water stung and after the piercing experience, I quickly dried myself off and changed into my new clothes, thankful for their woolen inners. I ran back to my cabin quickly, my barefeet padding against the wooden floor. 

When I entered the cabin, I found Susan collapsed lopsided in her bed, and Hannah sitting on her bed examining a small piece of paper.

“What's that?” I asked, after hanging the towel onto the drying rack.

“I have no idea,” Hannah replied. “It was hanging off of your bed.”  

I felt my heart tremble. “What does it say?”

“See for yourself,” Hannah said, handing me the paper.  

There, in that familiar illegible script, did it say: Don't forget.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

193 21 12
A story of an old love. Never been seen, A girl's life takes a poetic turn when she discovers her grandmother's friend's secret diary after her Death...
4.4K 87 32
Rose had an ordinary life with all the basic things, going to school and hanging out with her mum. But she finds herself in a love struck relationshi...
6 0 7
Disabled Vet back from Afghanistan copes to learn to love again.
98 5 30
after being stuck in the mist of a tornado a married woman starts wanting to make her life full of excitement.