The Rift Trials

By BeyondWriting01

When man becomes too powerful for his own good the results can be catastrophic. That's what happened during t... More

Chapter 2: Dreailight
Chapter 3: Earth
Chapter 4: Dreailight
Chapter 5: Earth
Chapter 6: Dreailight
Chapter 7: Earth

Chapter 1: Earth

341 20 28
By BeyondWriting01

Music by audiomachine
Listen for full effect while you read!

~

"Come on Ara!" Lydia, her closest friend, shouted.

"I'm coming, I'm coming." She picked up her backpack throwing it on and hopped on her bike. Lydia was already down the street waiting rather impatiently. She peddled twice then let gravity do the rest down the slope.

"Took you long enough." Lydia teased.

"Oh shut up, are we still going to the same place?" Lydia nodded and they both started on a gentle ride through the small town.

"It's not like there's anywhere else to go, unless you know of a place."

"Nope, although If I did I'm sure it would be equally as boring. Just like everything else in this small town... Is anyone else meeting us there?" They took a turn down a dirt path leading to the hills and away from the town.

"Everyone else is busy." Lydia said opening the gate that lead out. It was an old wooden one with white paint scrapped off by weather and time. The path it lead to was overgrown on each side creating a natural wall of weeds and tall grass, well above each of their heads and at least six or seven feet in height.

Ara was 19 and moderate in height with soft features, she had a strong face much as her spirit. Her hair was a faded and dark red, not bright and blinding but soft and welcoming. Her toned and slim form were made of her constant physical activities, she refused to be lazy, never waiting for others to do things for her.

"Like always, never seem to want to do... anything." Ara mentioned factually with a hint of distaste.

Lydia was also 19, yet, on the other hand, was a gentle spirit where Ara could be harsh. She was a shorter girl with much the same body as her friend and also in great physical condition, a little behind Ara but able to hold her own. Her hair was a light brown complementing her graceful face and soft skin tones, her lightly tanned skin gave a glow about her. She was someone you'd want to be around, as Ara had noticed on many occasions, whenever she felt down she could always rely on Lydia to cheer her up.

They entered the path leaving their bikes behind and locked to a pole beside the gate. The path was uneven and rocky, too difficult to carry a bike along. They had enjoyed this spot since they were younger, always hiking up to the overlook, as they called it, a ledge above the town giving a panoramic view of the vast mountains surrounding them and the city far beyond, seemingly At the base of the largest mountain. They quickly made their way up, neither loosing breath but kept even strides.

Ara wore dark stretchy jeans for easy climbing, and a simple, blue polyester shirt and a zip up sweater. Her scarf was wrapped around her neck keeping her breathing easy instead of a biting cold. Winter was present, still far from the warm months carrying frigid cold down from the snowy mountains. She carried a blue backpack filled with snacks and a change of clothes, just in case she ever needed them. Her phone she left at home as Lydia had done, leaving behind the distractions of life, a short time to get away.

Lydia wore shorts to just above her knee with leggings underneath keeping her warm, her shirt was the same as Ara's only she wore a green jacket instead of a zip up. She also carried a backpack with the same supply's as Ara with the only addition a first aid kit.

"why do we ever have to grow up." Lydia breathed wistfully, she had often thought of a reason. She never could truly leave behind her childhood, it would always be there, trapped by the expectations of being a teenager.

"That was random, and it's not like we can go back in time, not that I'd even want to." Ara jumped up and across several boulders to another ledge before looking back. Lydia easily did the same joining her and walked further up.

"You're right, better live for now then get caught up in memories."

"Funny," Ara chuckled.

"What."

"You're usually the one giving me advise, it seems to have switched today." Lydia smiled at her comment.

"You always seem to need it." She replied jokingly. Ara punched her arm.

"Right..." She said laughing. Lydia giggled wrapping her arm around Ara who then leaned her head against her shoulder.

"I'm so glad we have each other."

"What would you do without me?" She teased, "but in all honesty, I feel the same. I'm so glad you're my friend."

The two climbed the rest of the way reaching the ledge and sat down letting their legs dangle over the side. Behind them was a waterfall which poured down to a river running beside them and down over the ledge. The water was crystal clear, just by looking at it would make you thirst. They both cupped their hands plunging multiple times into the water downing each handful.

"I have to say," Ara said moving her now wet hair over her shoulder out of her eyes, "this is one of my favorite parts about being up here." Lydia gulped, swallowing and wiping her face with the cool water. The sensation mesmerizing, refreshing and inviting.

"Can't argue with you there." She said smiling. Ara stood placing her backpack down and stretched, the hike had made their muscles tighter causing the need for loosening.

"You ready?" Ara said finishing her stretch and getting into a fighting stance. Lydia placed her pack down as well, stretched quickly, then confronted her.

"The real question is," she said getting into her fighting stance, "are you?" She let a glimpse of a smile show then rushed forward.

Ara ducked under a round kick aimed at her head and, placing both hands firmly on the ground, swept her right leg around towards Lydia's left while her right was finishing the round. She tripped but fell into a roll popping up again as Ara quickly stood to face her. "Almost had you there." Lydia brushed her hair back.

"Almost," she said smiling, "but not quite."

Ara took her turn and came in with a barrage of punches; left, hook, up, ridge hand, elbow, low.

Lydia blocked and countered each easily enough, her counters were blocked by Ara's reflexes and speed, as were hers by Lydia.

Lydia finally caught Ara by the wrist and thinking almost on instinct, wrapped her hand under her bicep and grabbed her shoulder with both hands and jerked Ara down. Following up with a knee she caused Ara to lurch forward and block with her left arm, her right still secured by Lydia's grip.

Lydia adjusted her grip by unwrapping then sliding down Ara's arm with her right and grabbing her wrist, her left pressured Aras elbow as she spun her to the ground. Ara saw an opening, as Lydia wasn't fast enough to keep Ara close, she mistakingly let her spin out. Ara spun catching Lydia with a swipe of her arms causing her to fall forward. Ara rolled away standing at a safe distance.

"Ah, you're improving!" She teased. Lydia stood brushing the dirt from her face and clothes.

"Or you're just loosing it." Lydia teased back. Ara mocked by placing her finger under her chin and looking up.

"Hm, unlikely."

"Well, you want to keep going or what?"

"I wasn't aware you wanted to."

"Never said I didn't."

The two circled each other, hands up with relaxed and open hands, ready for the other to strike first. Ara noticed how close they were to the river, if she could act quickly she'd be able to push Lydia in ending the fight, at least she hoped it would, the water was cold.

I doubt she'll want to keep going, She thought. Quickly she ran forward dodging a side kick and slid underneath Lydia's leg, without a second thought she brought her hands up grabbing her leg and pushing it up and forward. Lydia kept her balance by hopping on one foot as she neared closer to the river.

Lydia saw her intention and reached forward grabbing Ara's hands, she was a little surprised at her own ability to stretch so far but shrugged the thought away pitting all her focus into the action at hand. Almost to the waters edge she lunged backwards while bending her knee down over Ara's arms. She fell back tucking her body in as to absorb some of the fall, in one final effort she threw Ara over herself and into the freezing river.

There was a gasp and a large splash as Ara fell into the water soaking her entire body. Lydia lay there controlling breathing, taking a small break before standing again.

"Two for two!" She exclaimed happily, she had begun to lose confidence as Ara had won the last two whole she had won the first.

They both took self defense and hapkido together and enjoyed taking these times to fine tune and practice their newly learnt skills.

"Impressive!" Ara said as she sloshed through the water onto shore. "I have to say, I was not expecting that." She smiled suddenly thinking of a way to get her back for plunging her into the water. Lydia half sensed it, Ara ran forward as Lydia scurried to stand but slid losing her balance. Ara closed the distance and gave her a soaking hug. The water now freezing then both. They screamed and laughed in excitement, both expected it to end in some way similar. Whoever won usually got pay back sooner rather than later.

Ara tackled her to the ground making them both get covered in mud. She let go once realization dawned on her, they would have to get back into the river.

"Well..." Ara said standing. "Didn't really think this through."

"No kidding." Lydia said sarcastically then turned and pushed Ara back into the river. Ara grabbed her friends wrist before she fell in bringing Lydia in as well.

They washed the mud away taking longer than they could have, the constant laughter didn't help. When they finally climbed out, Ara went straight to her pack pulling out the flint she usually carried and her change of clothes.

"You can change while I get a fire started." Ara said as Lydia pulled out her towel and clothes.

"Kay." She replied and walked into the trees. She returned shortly just as the first flames spirt up. Ara added more kindling then, once the fire was strengthened, added a couple logs. "Done, I'll watch the fire wile you go."

"Cool, I brought some snacks if you want to get them." Ara mentioned then walked away into the trees. Lydia placed down her towel next to the fire placing her wet clothes out to dry, which they did quickly. She took out Ara's snacks and opened the beef jerky grabbing a pice then placed the bag beside her.

The sunlight now drifted behind the trees and would soon leave them in darkness within the next couple of hours. Ara came back and placed her clothes where Lydia's had been before then sat beside her. She grabbed a pice of Jerky biting a pice off. She exhaled while she chewed relaxing her body.

They sat in silence for a long while, both enjoying the sounds of nature around them, the birds ending their daily song, the little critters scurrying to their night homes, a distant owl, the shrieking of bats.

"This was on of the best we've had," Ara said closing her eyes, "but I'll make sure I win next time." Lydia nudged her arm.

"Psh, that's what you think. I'm on a streak!" Ara opened her eyes raising her eyebrows.

"Of what, one win?"

"Well, it's going to be, ill make sure of it."

"Hmm if that's what..." Ara was cut off by a sudden burst of light below them in the far off city. "What the..." She gasped.

The light moved outward in a half dome shape, the blue color giving the surrounding area a mystic hue. They jumped to their feet moving closer to the edge, staring their eyes for a closer look.

"Hurry," Lydia said, her voice nervous and concerned. "Ara!" She yelled. Ara jumped moving away from the growing light now rushing towards them.

They grabbed their things quickly and put out the fire then ran down the mountain quicker than before. "We need to get home! My house is closer so we can stay there until what ever that is passes!" Lydia exclaimed.

The light was almost on top of them when they reached Lydia's home. She burst open the door instantly ushered in by her parents. "Lydia! Ara honey!" Her mom shouted, "I'm so gland you're back safe. You must hurry.'Get into the basement!"

"Mom, what's going on!?"

"I'll explain later, just get in!" The two of them climbed down followed by her mom and dad who shut the door cutting off all outside light.

~~~

Hope you all enjoyed this one! I had a fun time writing it. This was new for me as my usual characters, well main ones, are boys rather than girls. SO! Let me now how I did! Especially your ladies out there. Make sure you check out the information page once you finish a chapter for the countdown and added characters. ALSO! please vote if you enjoyed his one!

Love you!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 291 51
Two girls fighting for survival, in a destroyed world. A world where people eat each other and are beyond recognition. Can they trust each other? wil...
441 140 35
Published: 22-6-2020 This is part 2 of The Dark Realm series There are two things Emma fears most; Returning to the realm that caused her so much pa...
95.3K 7.2K 42
All he had, was a loving family and a little princess. He was happy in his small world, but there was a void. A little place for a partner. She coinc...
1.5K 51 11
This world has always been destined to end, people always try desperately hard to live, Wattpad from the olden days created a world where people coul...