Back to Basics

By KaylaWoods289

"I need you" Natalia 'Nat' Thorton is a strong willed ranch owner. She runs the ranch her father left her alo... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Finding Ground
Chapter 2: Protecting Her
Chapter 3: First Impressions
Chapter 4: Her Anchor
Chapter 5: Coffee
Chapter 6: Finding her Muse
Chapter 7: Reminiscing
Chapter 8: Radio Trouble
Chapter 9: Discoveries
Chapter 10: Sensual Touch
Chapter 11: I Turn to You
Chapter 12: Explanations
Chapter 14: Control
Chapter 15: Getting her Way
Chapter 16: Changing it Up
Chapter 17: Let Go
Chapter 18: Home
Chapter 19: Keith
Chapter 20: Finding her song
Chapter 21: Preview
Chapter 22: Julio & Naomi
Chapter 23: Bliss Before Stress
Chapter 24: Face the Music
Chapter 25: Thunder Rolls
Chapter 26: No Reception
Chapter 27:Coming Home
Chapter 28: All In
Chapter 29: Being Happy
Chapter 30: Mountains and Desires
Chapter 31: Good Morning
Chapter 32: Misunderstanding
Chapter 33: Turn on the Radio
Chapter 34: First Show Back
Chapter 35: All Mine
Chapter 36: Relocate
Chapter 37: Reflect
Chapter 38: Interview Gone Wrong
Chapter 39: Done
Chapter 40: Safely & Securely
Chapter 41: Resolve
Chapter 42: Goodbye
Chapter 43: Two More Weeks
Chapter 44: Outlaw and Storm
Chapter 45: Happy
Chapter 46: Daddy
Chapter 47: Welcome Home Princess
Chapter 48: Breaking the news
Chapter 49: My Happiness
Chapter 50: Bright Future
Chapter 51: Decisions
Chapter 52: It's Time
Chapter 53: Finally
Chapter 54: Back at It
Chapter 55: De Ja Vu
Chapter 56: Legends
Epilogue

Chapter 13: Start of an Adventure

5K 240 7
By KaylaWoods289

"Alright Cass, get up!"

Cass felt a cold wind instantly on her legs. Her eyes shooting open to finding Nat standing over her with the blanket in her hands. She groaned before flipping over digging her head back into the pillow. A muffled 'go away' being heard through the room. Nat rolled her eyes dropping the blanket before going over to rip open the curtains followed by her jumping on Cass' bed and unceremoniously flapping her arms out like a starfish. 

Feeling the weight of her friend's arm on her back and her leg on top of hers before releasing an over exaggerated sigh. Cass felt herself smile into the pillow before lifting her head. Another loud sigh escaping Nat before she rotated practically laying on top of her. Cass groaned making Nat giggle. 

"I'm up, I'm up!"

Nat rolls off of her allowing her to lift her head off the pillow to squint her eyes playfully at her. She in return gives an innocent smile that is anything but innocent before standing up from the bed. Her hands going to her hips as she whips around giving Cass a wide grin. Cass looks to her warily. Nat is not the type to pose like a cheerleader. 

"We have plans"

At this Cass raises a brow but Nat does not further explain. She rolls her eyes before slinging her legs over the bed. Her arms raising high to stretch before standing up. She looks down and realizes she is still in her dress from last night. The memories of last night invading her mind. The weight of the memory making her legs give out and she sits back down on the bed. Nat watched from behind before coming down and kneeling before her. Her friend has her head down while clutching the end of her dress in her hands. 

"Cass?"

"He could have hurt you." 

Her voice broken and she refuses to meet Nat's eyes. Nat slowly pulls at Cass' hands before gripping them in her own. Her eyes still trying to search for her friend's blue ones. 

"Cass, look at me" Hearing a shaky exhale, she waits. A moment later those glossy blue eyes finally meet her. Her hands still safely secured within her own. "I am right here"

Cass doesn't say anything for a few minutes but continues staring deeply into the only sense of home she has ever known. The chocolate eyes bringing a sense of comfort that only they can. After a minute Cass leans forward and closes her eyes as her forehead meets her rock. Nat can realize this brings her comfort. She closes her eyes and allows her friend to find her strength. Another few minutes pass before Cass pulls back and putting on a small smile. Nat takes that as her queue to stand. Holding her hand out, she helps her friend stand up. 

"Where are we going?"

Nat smirks making Cass smile return. Nat just hums before turning on her heel and strolling into Cass' closet. The blonde shakes her head giggling before making her way to the ensuite. Nat pays no attention as she pulls out one of Cass' suit cases and begins to pack. Throwing the clothes unceremoniously into the bag. She begins hearing the water running in the shower as she goes to the shoes. Nat scratching her head while looking through the never ending amount of shoes she has lined up. Good lord, Nat is lucky if she has maybe 6 pairs total. Cass easily has over 50 pairs. Her phone vibrates in her pocket. Pulling it out she smiles down at it. 

Jax (10:04 am) Tate wants to see Cassie before you head out. Can you swing by here sweetheart?

"Whose got you smiling?"

Nat whips her head up to find Cass leaning against the door with a towel wrapped around her. She walks over looking through the clothes before deciding on a simple black button up. She looks at a yellow shirt that buttons up before yanking it down and tossing it over to Nat. She looks at it before deciding to cave in to her friend's wishes.

"Jax wanted us to swing by your label before we head out."

Cass whips around hearing how she speaks so familiar about her agent. "Jax huh?"

Nat rolls her eyes but couldn't stop the smile from pulling at her lips. Cass' grin making her blush even with her amber cheeks. Cass laughs pulling on a pair of pants before raising a brow at the suitcase. Nat doesn't say anything but just zips it up before sitting it down. 

"Let's go!"

Cass pouts playfully making Nat chuckle before slugging an arm over her shoulder. Her other arm pulling the suitcase behind them as they walk out. Cass looking around for any changes to her home along the way. Her mind halting as they get to the door along with her feet. She tilts her head looking closely. 

"I had Clifford change the locks this morning."

Cass nodded not dwelling on the thoughts anymore. Locking up the house, Cass re links her arms with Nat as they walk to her truck. Nat tosses her suitcase in the back end where Cass sees Nat's bag already sits. She gets in the passenger seat as Nat climbs into her own seat. The blonde beauty looks over as her friend thumbs through a CD case. Curiosity getting the better of her as she leans over to see however snaps it shut as she pops a disc into the old radio system. A huge laugh escaping Cass as Nat just begins bobbing her head. 

"I LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT!"

Both girls are bouncing around in their seats as the song continues playing as the are stopped at a stop light. Not caring about the eyes of the car beside them, they become to engrossed in the song to do anything other practically jump in their seats and bellow out the words. Cass' infectious laugh being heard throughout. 

A whistle finally catches Nat and Cass' attention as they turn to see the vehicle beside them. Two guys sitting in expensive car with the top down. The guy puckers up as the light turns green. Nat flips him the bird going back to the song making Cass gasp as she pulls away before falling into a fit of laughter. Her friend was never shy about how she felt. 

After listening to the song for fifteen minutes straight, they pull up to her label to find some paparazzi already sitting outside. Cass' happiness quickly fading away as she falls back in the seat. Nat instantly sees the change in her demeanor and looks out to see what she saw. The blue truck passing the label as Nat rounds the building trying to find a back way in. Cass' brows furrowing but not questioning what she is doing. 

"Aha!"

Cass watches as Nat pulls into a narrow alleyway that she can see leads to the backside of the label. She has never been back here before. They get stopped by a man who stands in front of the truck before walking around. His eyes widening when he catches sight of Cassie Lyndel in the old pickup truck. His arm directing them to come through. Nat slowly pulls away attempting to not giggle at the starstruck security guard. Nat smiles appreciatively and waves at him. He looked like he may have fainted from that small gesture. They pulled into a spot before Nat couldn't hold it in and snorted before laughing loudly. 

"It's not funny!"

Cass whined while slapping her shoulder with her purse only making her friend laugh harder. Cass gives up giving her a moment to recollect herself before sobering up. Nat gives a nod saying she is done. Cass rolls her eyes stepping out as she sees Nat bite her lip from stopping her laughter from happening again. Nat's eyes wandered around taking in the building. Cass leading her to the elevators while Nat catches sight out the front doors of people still sitting outside with large cameras. She shakes her head at the ridiculous of their jobs. Her thoughts cut off as as Cass yanks her arm into the elevator. Nat begins humming the tune they were just listening tune making Cass laugh gently and loosen up. 

The door opens with a ding. Nat watches as her friend's spine straightens and she becomes more rigid. She stays quiet and follows her friend. Some people on the floor stopping to give a look to Cass. Nat's eyes following all as Cass just resumes walking with her head held high. They get to office with a name plate reading 'Tate Marx CEO'. Cass knocks before hearing a gentle come in. Pushing the door open, Nat sees a man sitting behind the desk with a woman standing beside him with files. He closes the one in front of him with a smile while handing it to the woman.

"Cassie" He says standing up with open arms stepping around the desk. Cass puts on a polite smile as Nat stands to her side watching the interaction. The man she presumes head of the record gathers her in a hug that Cass returns before pulling back to cup her face. She doesn't say anything but forces a small smile. 

"Mr. Marx, you have a meeting in 15 minutes"

"Thank you Stacy, that will be all"

"Yes sir"

The woman gives a gentle smile to both ladies before exiting the office quietly. The man walks back over to his desk gesturing to the chairs. Cass walks taking a seat as Nat follows behind her. Instead of taking the seat, she stands beside Cass. The man raises a brow as he clicks a button on his desk. 

"Yes sir?"

"Bring us a few glasses of water please."

"Right away"

Cass looks up over her shoulder to find Nat standing there with a quizzical look as she studies Tate. Cass clears her throat making Nat blink rapidly before looking down to her. Cass gives her look before looking back to Tate. The man looking to the both with amusement. 

"You must be Talia Thornton?"

"Yes I am"

She doesn't say anything and Tate can't help but feel great mirth towards the dark hair beauty. He can see why Jackson was getting distracted remembering the early conversation. Stacy comes back in a moment later with a tray with glasses and a pitcher of water on it. She sets it down before filling the glasses and walking them over to each of them. Cassie giving her a thank you which seemed to startle her. Tate chuckled as well, he still believes Cassie to be the only level headed artist he has. 

"Thank you Stacy"

He says breaking the woman's shock sate before she makes her exit. Nat watches her scurry away before squeezing Cass' shoulder. Her attention redirecting to the man in front of the them. He takes a sip before sitting the glass to the side clasping his hands together. His eyes set on Cassie. 

"I have spoken to Jackson this morning and he says it would be best if you took a vacation for some time while working on your new album. What do you think?"

Cass rings her fingers together wondering if there is a trick but Nat gives her a squeeze on her shoulder making her relax slightly. "It may be helpful Tate."

With that the man smiles fondly as he leans back in his chair. "I agree. Getting away and maybe finding some inspiration to finish the album. You never know what may happen."

"What about the interviews I had scheduled?"

"I have cancelled those for the upcoming events." He crosses his arms as if contemplating saying something further.  "The whole mess with Mr. Bounds has come to light."

"Is that why there are men waiting outside for?" Nat speaks up for the first time. Tate gives a single head nod before getting up walking over to his window. The girls following his movements as he presses his forearm to the window looking down. He takes a moment before turning back to them. 

"How did you get in?"

Cass laughs gently catching Tate by surprise. He has not heard laugh in a very long time. Her eyes glancing back up to the woman behind her for a moment. 

"Nat found a way through the back I didn't even know existed"

Tate raises an eyebrow at the woman but she looks unbothered. He feels his own smile coming, she was not what he was expecting. He goes back over sitting down in his desk looking to both girls once again. 

"Well Cassie, I'm sorry for what has happened but you have my support for some secluded time... Now get going."

Cass stands up walking up to him he outstretches his hand already expecting her normal shake. She truly is a lady of manners and professionalism. Her face held though a softer expression making Tate smile fondly on her. It was clear the new arrival has a positive outlook on her. Both ladies turn to exit when Tate stops them. 

"Talia may I have a moment?"

Cass glances over and Nat gives a nod and a reassuring head nod. Cass walks to the door as Nat turns back around to the man. He is still standing with his arms crossed. He looks to her as if studying her. 

"I will be honest with you Ms. Thornton... I did not know of you until last night." She doesn't say anything not surprised by that information. "Cassie has always been one of my favorite artist. She was professional, polite, and extremely talented..."

Nat continues studying him trying to figure out why she stopped him. He pauses for a moment before answering her silent question. 

"Most of the artist we have become divas or allow their fame go to their heads. They forget they are just like anyone else. Cassie never did. She continued being the polite girl I met those years ago. I have a feeling you are reason behind that."

"Mr. Marx?"

He chuckles hearing the confusion in her voice. 

"All I am saying is that I am glad that Cassie has you. You seem like a very good influence."

"She's my best friend"

With that she nods once and turns on her heel leaving out the door. Tate stands their for a moment with a small smile on his lips. It's been a long time since he has met a genuine person and even more so.. hearing a genuine answer. Buzzing the intercom, Stacy immediately answers. 

"Yes Sir"

"Tell Jackson Fillmore to get in here"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

513 9 50
Carolina goes home to her family ranch in Texas for the summer from college. She is expecting a fairly peaceful summer minus her daily arguments with...
HONESTLY By Sunny Birch

General Fiction

929 2 26
Nicky Peters sets out on an emotional roller coaster when she creates a melody from an old high school journal entry which develops into her debut so...
1.8K 190 51
Love isn't about how much you say I LOVE YOU, but how much you prove that's true. Lydia Martin thought that life was closing on her, everything...
30.6K 3.2K 60
||COMPLETE|| Amber Blake is having dreams, and they just might be the key to saving her best friend, Mark. Unfortunately, she's too preoccupied prete...