Aurora's Child - ATEEZ Pirate...

By SeaWitch01

Aurora's Children, descendants of the Sea Witch, were green-eyed people that held a deep connection to the se... More

Prologue
Chapter I: Open Your Eyes
Chapter III: A Pirate's Life
Chapter IV: Dead Or Alive
Chapter V: Gold
Chapter VI: Curse Thy Blood
Chapter VII: Trust
Chapter VIII: To The Beat
Chapter IX: Blockage
Chapter X: Wheel of Fortune
Chapter XI: Heartstrings
Chapter XII: Calm
Chapter XIII: Storm
Chapter XIV: Sea Dogs & Ships
Chapter XV: A Fish Among Sharks

Chapter II: Long Journey

267 20 5
By SeaWitch01

A/N: I want say that I forgot to add a trigger warning in the first chapter and I'm sorry. I might dive into rather uncomfortable and dark subjects as the story progresses, so I'll fix the first chapter and add warnings later on.

//TW: Mentions of murder

_____________________

          The storm outside, still going strong, took over the silence between Mingi and Hongjoong. The wind was bending the trees, tearing them apart. Thunder and lightning lit up the otherwise dark room. The rain was beating heavily against the roof, the windows, the ground outside; the storm shook the whole world, but it wasn't enough to break their trance. After a few minutes, Mingi finally responded to this new information, although he still couldn't process it.

          "What... what are you...?" Mingi couldn't help but stare into Hongjoong's glowing green eyes. How was that even possible? He always had brown eyes.

          "Mingi... I remember now. I remember everything. My family, where I came from, and who I am."

          Mingi let out a shaky breath and stumbled back against a wall. He couldn't understand what was going on. What happened to Hongjoong?

          "But... Emerald People... Aurora's Children... It's-It's a myth!" The more he stared into his haunting eyes, the more he believed it, but he was still in denial. What could this mean? As far he knew --as far as everyone knew-- those were just folktales. This... This right here... Is so unreal. But there was something that disturbed him beyond that. Does that mean Hongjoong would leave him?

          Hongjoong kept looking into Mingi's eyes looking for answers. Was he scared? Of him? He can't let that happen. Mingi and he are brothers, regardless of blood, regardless of him recovering his memories. He would explain everything, answer any questions, but he couldn't lose his only brother. Besides his memories, he had nothing else. He would take Mingi with him, as selfish as it was.

          Before Hongjoong could say anything else, Mingi spoke. His question making any doubt he had dissipate. He knew what to do.

          "Does that mean... does that mean you'll leave?"

          Mingi's devastated tone broke something in Hongjoong's heart. There is no damn way he would leave Mingi behind. It was never his plan to leave him behind; he would take Mingi wherever he went if that's what it takes for them to stick together. He couldn't leave Mingi with that fucking monster.

          "Yes."

          Mingi wanted to protest, but...

          "But... I want you to come with me. I'll explain everything if you come with me."

          Mingi broke into a relieved smile letting out a breath he unconsciously held. He didn't know what it was, but he trusted Hongjoong with his life, even when they had just met as children. It was something about his presence that made him feel safe; at home. With that in mind, he already knew his answer before his hyung even thought of asking. He would follow Hongjoong wherever life took them.

          "I will come with you."

          Hongjoong was glad to hear that. He would've probably abducted him if he had refused. He wouldn't leave him behind just like that. Laughing at the thought a little, his expression went back to serious as he remembered what he had to do. They have to leave tonight. Begin a journey to an island that to this day he had thought was just a myth.

          Who knew what was awaiting them? The thought scared Hongjoong to the core, but in his heart he knew he had to go and find out. There's so much he still doesn't know and he needs answers. He had to find a ship, find the island, and find ATEEZ. He wasn't sure where to even start, or in what particular order, and he could already feel a panic attack silently settling in through his system. He took a deep breath to calm his nerves. They had disobeyed Commander Song before but this far more dangerous than a simple act of mischief. They were going to betray the Crown altogether.

          "Mingi, I need you to understand that what we are about to do could cost our heads. I have to go find Utopia, the island. There's something about that island-"

          "Save the details." Hongjoong shut his mouth and stared at Mingi in shock.

          "If what you are saying is that we might die while doing whatever it is that you want to do, I don't want to hear it. I don't care. I promised I would stay with you no matter what and that I would stand by that, remember?" He did. Hongjoong did remember.

          The first night he woke up screaming, the first one to be there for him was Little Mingi. The young boy laid down next to Hongjoong, holding his small hands. Mingi kept whispering things to calm his older brother's tears. That's when he made a promise of staying with Hongjoong forever. A very childish promise, but one he would cherish forever. They stayed there in the dark as the thunder outside subsided into a low rumble and Hongjoong's crying turned into little hiccups and sniffles. The next day, they both woke up embracing each other, much to Mingi's mother's amusement. She cooed at them while they protested over their mother's actions.

          Hongjoong remembers that day as a happy one. Yes, he was scared, but he had also made a friend. Mingi really kept that promise and he's very grateful for that. He didn't know what he would do without that idiot. He was a man, but how naïve. He may be smiling over that memory right now, but Mingi doesn't need another reason to tease him.

          He snorts at that, "How childish."

          "Pardon?!" Exclaims Mingi offended.

          Hongjoong just ignores him, "We have to leave tonight."

          "Wait. What? Tonight?!"

          Hongjoong was about to answer when something caught his attention. Over Mingi's shoulder, he could see the ghost of the old man standing at the doorway. He made eye contact with Hongjoong and uttered something that he couldn't hear. His lips spelled 'follow me'. The old man started walking slowly down the hall.

          "Mingi, the old man. He wants us to follow him."

          Mingi was perplexed at this sudden announcement and followed Hongjoong's line of sight towards the hall, "What? You saw him just now?"

          Ignoring him once again, he grabbed Mingi's arm and began following the specter down the hall. The ghost went right through the door he lead the boys to, expecting them to follow. Hongjoong finally realized where they were and the hairs at the back of his neck stood in attention. Commander Song's quarters.

          Mingi also took note of where they were and he quickly started struggling against Hongjoong's grip. Whatever it was that Hongjoong was thinking of doing, he had gone absolutely insane.

          "For the love of Calypso, we are NOT going in there!", he whisper-yelled, "Father will murder us if we get caught!"

          Oh, he knew that already. Hongjoong received quite the beating for looking through the gap of the door that was left ajar when he was younger. He didn't know what were the consequences of stepping into his room, but with a little bit of imagination he could easily grasp the idea. If the voyage didn't kill them, then the commander would. He didn't give a damn though. He had something to do, and he wasn't going to stop now. They had had enough of that monster's beatings and threats anyway. If their key to freedom laid beyond that door, he was going to take it.

          Hongjoong turned and stared into Mingi's eyes with something fierce in them. Mingi could see a new fire he had never seen before, he couldn't look away.

          "I will go in there and do what the old man wants. You stay here and make sure the maids do not come here," he grasped Mingi's shoulders firmly and gave him a serious look, "We are leaving this place for good and there is nothing that will get in the way of that, Mingi".

          Mingi didn't even have time to protest as Hongjoong was already twisting the doorknob and slipping in through the crack. With a final gulp, and a prayer to Calypso, he stood guard by door to make sure no maids were wandering through the hall. The rain outside didn't serve to ease his heartbeat, which he could hear clearly as he tried to calm his breathing. They were going to die.

          With the help of the rain and thunder, Hongjoong was able to camouflage the creak of the old hinges of the door. Once inside, he could clearly see the ghost's faint silhouette pointing at a chest in a corner of the room. Hongjoong gave one last look at the Commander's sleeping body and started creeping towards the chest. With a silent prayer and shaking hands, he opened the chest to find one of the Commander's old uniforms, and a gun. His trembling hand reached for the gun and inspected it for a minute. He would have to ask Mingi to teach him how to use it.

          He suddenly heard the shifting of covers behind him and he quickly pointed the gun towards the sound, thinking the Commander was awake. The man had only turned to his side and continued to sleep through the storm. Hongjoong let out a sigh of relief and quickly tucked the gun into his pants while keeping an eye on the sleeping form. He looked back at the chest and he considered if he should take the uniform with him as well. Screw it. He grabbed the coat and started creeping back towards the door. He was finally safe. Click.

          "Turn around. Slowly," Hongjoong could feel the cold barrel of a gun against the back of his head. 

          He didn't know what took over his body; with a swift twist of his torso, he pulled out the gun and hit the Commander in the face with the butt of the gun. The Commander stumbled back with a pained groan. Hongjoong took the opportunity to bolt out of the room and frantically look for Mingi. The second he had spotted Mingi standing next to the door, he grabbed Mingi's hand and made a run for it.

          "What the He-?!"

          "SHUT UP AND RUN!"

          Over the loud thunder, they could've sworn they heard a gun go off behind them. Both of them rushed to Mingi's room, which was the closest, and shut the door locked.

          Hongjoong didn't think twice into giving Mingi a set of orders, "Grab your gun, a coat, and a pair of boots. We will go out through the balcony-" They heard something shatter somewhere down the hall then followed by a shout.

          Another rush of adrenaline and Mingi was finally ready, while Hongjoong was putting on a pair of Mingi's boots. They could hear the rush of footsteps approaching their door. Commander Song probably alerted some of the guards and were now trying to catch them. Both Mingi and Hongjoong were cursing as they quickly ran towards the window. Mingi quickly opened the double glass windows as they heard the jiggle of the doorknob and banging.

          "Song Mingi! Hongjoong! You are both condemned for treason for threatening the life of a Commander of the British Royal Navy! You have three seconds to open up this damned door or we will break it right open! One!"

          Mingi's scared eyes looked towards the door, afraid of what his father might do once he opened the door. He did not want to find out today, or ever. He looked back at Hongjoong and gave him a firm nod. Hongjoong nodded back and they both went to the open window. Looking down, it was quite the fall but not deadly. Hopefully the bushes and mud underneath will serve to cushion the otherwise painful fall.

          "Two!"

          They both climbed over the slippery ledge and prepared themselves to jump. Mingi took Hongjoong's damp hand in his as they both took a deep breath and dropped.

          "Three!"

          A bang and crack was heard behind them as the guards had kicked down the door. Rain was making its way into the room through the open window. They had escaped.

          Commander Song could feel his blood boiling with rage. His son was a traitor along with that scoundrel. He was going to get their damned necks hung at the gallows for treason, whatever it costs. Those sons of bitches were going to pay. He could barely see their retreating forms running towards the docks in the dark, the lightning serving as the only light source.

          "Commander, they are heading towards the docks! Shall we go after them?" Asked one of the privates.

          With a scoff, he wiped his brow with the back of his hand to find blood smeared on it. He was pensive for minute and made up his mind. Without looking at the private, he turned towards the door to leave. A cold and calculating expression took over his face, "Let them go. Even if they make out to sea, the storm is way too strong. They won't survive."

          "Yessir!" The guards saluted their Commander and retreated.

          A sickening grin took over Commander Song's face once everyone left. If they did survive, he would hunt them down. He would have their heads. He would make sure they died, whether by his own hands or by the sea. That was a promise. That bitch, Mingi's mother, paid the price for trying to outsmart him; they would too. And Hongjoong... He didn't expect that bastard to be part of the Emerald People. Time to call for reinforcements.

_____

          The run, plus the unforgiving rain, made it difficult for them to breathe. They had already escaped the estate and were finally on the road that lead towards the docks. Hongjoong could see in the dark just fine while Mingi struggled to even keep his eyes open because of the rushing water. Thank Calypso for his eyes. He guided Mingi all the way. They were almost there. Hongjoong could only hear his own blood pumping in his ears over the sound of the beating rain. He looked over to his right and saw Mingi in a similar fashion to him, soaked from head to toe and panting. They had reached the docks finally, but the wind had only picked up even more. It was strong enough to almost kick them off their feet; they could see boats and ships alike tipped to the side. It was an apocalyptic sight.

          Mingi brought Hongjoong out of his trance by squeezing his arm a little harder. Hongjoong quickly lead them towards the closest sailboats. It was very hard to walk over the slippery boardwalk while the wind and waves threated to throw them into the water. It was a miracle the docks and ships were still in one piece.

          "Let's take this one!" Shouted Hongjoong over the storm. He quickly pulled Mingi towards a rather small sailboat.

          "Wait! Hyung, how are we gonna sail this thing?! The sky is threatening to fall on our damned heads right now!" Mingi tried to reason but Hongjoong was already pushing him towards the vessel.

          "Trust me!" Hongjoong gave Mingi a final shove and sent him stumbling towards the side of the boat. Mingi quickly held on and climbed over to not fall into the water. He looked back towards Hongjoong and held out his hand so Hongjoong would take it, "Let's go!"

          Hongjoong took Mingi's hand and quickly climbed aboard. Once his feet hit the wooden surface, the waves seem to relax significantly into a gentler sway.

          "Ease the sail!" Commanded Hongjoong.

          "What?! Are you mad?!" If Mingi was concerned for his hyung's sanity before, he is even more concerned now. The wind is way too strong, that would rip the whole mast clean. Was he stupid?

          Hongjoong groaned and started doing it himself, "Go raise the anchor then!"

          Mingi threw his hands in the air in disbelief and rolled his eyes, "Aye-aye, Captain!" Exclaimed in a mocking tone and went to work. It wasn't that much of a strain since it was a very small boat but it was still quite difficult with the raging elements against them. Once he finished, Hongjoong already had the sails ready. When and where did he learn how to do that?

          "Now what?!" Asked Mingi.

          Hongjoong took a deep breath and relaxed his body. His mind and body seemed to know what to do already. He raised his hands slightly towards the sky and prayed.

          "Winds and tides, I am your loyal servant. Calypso, lay Your protective hand over this vessel and guide us to where the wind rose points, towards safety. I must complete my mission, I humbly beg You."

          Without any manual steering of the boat, the wind took the sails and began speeding away from the docks without struggle. Mingi could not believe his eyes. Hongjoong just commanded the sailboat to obey him just like that. His knees gave up on him as he watched Hongjoong's back from where he kneeled.

          That was impossible. So much power in one single man. He was no human.

          Hongjoong turned towards Mingi and casted his glowing green eyes towards Mingi's. The man could only stare back at his hyung in fear, but also amazement. The stories were true. He was Calypso's most loyal of servants.

          "How is it possible?..." Asked Mingi in shock.

          They were cutting through the raging waves with unbelievable ease, but not impossible. Hongjoong, an Aurora's Child, had made it happen.

          Hongjoong smiled down at his brother as they managed to escape from the storm and into much calmer waters. The sun was already peaking through the horizon, casting a surreal halo around Hongjoong's frame. Mingi still couldn't look away from such a sight.

          "Song Mingi, it is time I tell you everything. My name is Kim Hongjoong. I'm a direct descendant from the Emerald People; a nearly extinct bloodline that is linked to the sea. I'm on a quest to discover my history and find my soul family," Hongjoong hesitated before turning his back towards Mingi. He finally realized how selfish it was to force Mingi into a voyage he didn't ask for. He was ashamed of doing just want he hated about Commander Song.

          "I will leave you in the next port-"

          Mingi held onto Hongjoong's arm tightly. Hongjoong turned his face to see Mingi's deadly glare, "I'm going with you. I'm keeping my promise."

          After all they had gone through together, there was no way Mingi was going to be left behind just like that. He let go of Hongjoong's arm and lessened the intensity of his glare into a much playful one, "Plus, you are basically helpless with a gun. There is no way you can use just your powers to survive."

          Hongjoong gave him a baffled expression and smacked the back of Mingi's head, "I literally just saved our lives from a fucking typhoon, you ungrateful child!"

          Mingi just laughed as he rubbed the back of his head. The audacity...

          They already took their first step into the open sea. This is only the beginning of their long journey. What awaits them beyond those waters will slowly unfold as they get closer to their destination. Utopia.

_____

          In another island, far from Mingi's and Hongjoong's home, a man received a sealed letter. From Commander Song of the British Royal Navy.

          I have an assessment for you, my dear friend. Word has it you were thinking of retiring, but I can assure you that the price for this new job will surely delight you. I have two rogue men and I want you to catch them for me. Either dead or alive, it is up to your criteria. Their names are Song Mingi and Hongjoong the bastard. My reasons, once more, do not concern you. You had not disappointed me before, and I expect no less now. The reward will be their weight in gold. Perhaps it is of your interest.

          Do not disappoint me, Kang.

          "'Their weight in gold', huh." The man simply threw the letter into the fireplace and let be consumed by the flames. He picked up his old crossbow and readied it.

          "I will not disappoint you, Commander Song." 

_____________________

A/N: I bet you know who's coming soon! This chapter took so long to finish because of university. I'll prepare a balanced schedule once we cover more ground in the story.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

137K 7.6K 60
They never intended to rule the seven seas. They never thought that the idea of justice would become a lost cause to the world they knew. The directi...
4.3K 161 15
"You're Mine Since The Moment I Laid Eyes On You Park"- Hongjoong "You Can't Get Away From Me Song"- Yunho "I Don't Like To Share What's Mine, So As...
3.5K 196 41
A fairytale about Pirate ATEEZ and the Siren Prince including Seongjoong, Woosan, Yungi, and Jongsang(mostly Seongjoong). Me and @-LuLuArtz- came up...
6.6K 433 22
Hongjoong was a crazy man. Some might call him insane for his ambitious dreams. One of them being to possess the power of the Tears of the Eclipse...