Alone

By caslovessleeping

"I didn't know how much I needed you until I didn't have you. Every second was hell without you. Whenever I'm... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Epilogue

Chapter 17

856 58 64
By caslovessleeping

Once I was sat inside the car, I let out a breath to calm myself down. As I started the car, my mind drifted to my mother. She was undoubtedly the sweetest person I've ever known. I always pondered over how she managed to put up with my brother and me. We weren't exactly obedient children, but she never got cross at us. Instead, she smiled and explained where we were wrong.

She was a hard-working woman, who never failed to fulfil her duties and she always found time to spend with us. Most weekends were spent playing board games or taking us out for a picnic. She was a beautiful and devoted woman, always ready to help and see the good in people. People like her were rare in this world.

Everything was going fine, until one day she was ripped away from us. I was only eight at the time and Christian was barely sixteen years old. My brother and I were at school, and we came back to an empty house. I was clueless as to what was happening around me, Christian assured me that everything was going to be fine when I kept asking for mum, but the expression on his face was something I could never forget.

His whole world was in tatters and rightly so, he was extremely close to our mother and now he had to do everything alone. Christian sat by my bed the entire night and never spoke a word.

I finally understood everything when I saw my mother lying in a coffin the next day.

During the service, my brother stood beside me with an impassive look on his face while I clutched his hand for solace. After the service, Christian locked himself in his room and refused to come out. The next day, he was seated at the foot of my bed and seeing him, I immediately hugged him. He kept saying how sorry he was and that he would never leave me alone again.

Presently, I understood that he was just a child himself and he was forced to grow up and take care of me. That is until CSS showed up and ruined our already wrecked lives.

The day my brother left, I coincidentally received a letter and it was addressed to me from my mother. I thought that it was a messed up joke until I opened the letter.

My dearest Alex,

If you are reading this letter then things aren't going as I had hoped. You must have a lot of questions that are unanswered, but with time you'll understand everything. I do hope this letter finds you well. In this letter, I'm revealing very important information that will affect your future. 

Everything that I have will be divided between you and your brother. Once both of you turn sixteen you will receive this letter, but if things aren't as they should be then you will receive this sooner than expected. 

At the end of the letter is a separate account that I've made for you. I've saved up enough for you to live a good and most importantly a happy life. There were so many things I wish I could tell you, but it doesn't matter anymore.

I remember the first time I held you and the first time you looked at me, I couldn't stop the overwhelming awe and love that I felt when you grabbed onto my finger. Even though I had just met you, it was like I already knew you. My life was complete. 

I knew that this small girl, who I loved very much, would one day grow up to be a brave, kind and strong woman. This world is so big and has so much to offer, I hope you grasp every opportunity that you get and show the world who you are. There are going to be times when life hits you hard and it may seem that everything and everyone is against you, but don't lose hope, my baby. That's just how the world works, you just have to trust in the process and more importantly, trust yourself. There will be times when you feel alone, but always remember that I'm with you at all times. 

The only thing I ask you to do for me is to learn to love yourself. Learn to love yourself before you love someone else. I wish I could be there to see you grow up and be the woman you were destined to be, I will always be there with you in your heart through all the good and bad times. I am and will always be proud of you, my beautiful.

I love you so much, munchkin.

-Mum.

The letter ended with the details about the account which helped me move away from that town. 

My hand came to rest on the locket around my neck. Along with the letter, there was a locket with a picture of my mother holding me the day I was born on one side and on the other side was a picture of the three of us when we had gone for a picnic. We were so happy back then.

I snapped out of my trance as I approached the cafe and parked the car. I was just in time and as I stepped in the cafe, I was hit with the scent of coffee. A few people were sitting and talking to each other, others were working on laptops while some were absorbed in their books.

Walking up to the counter, there was only one barista that was serving a customer. I waited patiently till she finished with the customer. After she was done, she turned to me with a huge smile on her face. Her hazel eyes were full of life and mischief; she had platinum blond hair which was tied into a messy bun. The bright smile on her face made her look attractive and pretty.

She brought me out of my daydream by waving her hands in front me and giggling quietly.

"Uh, sorry. I was wondering where the interviews for the new barista is?"

"Oh yeah, just go through that door." She pointed to the door that was just behind the counter. Giving her a small smile and thanking her, I was about to walk away, but she spoke up stopping me.

"Hey, don't worry. Ally may come off strong in the beginning, but she's a total sweetheart."

"Do I look that nervous?" 

Letting out a small laugh, she said, "No. You don't look nervous at all." Lies. 

"Anyways, I should go. I'm sure she doesn't appreciate tardiness. Thanks for the tip." 

"Hell no, she doesn't." Giving me two thumbs up, she said, "All the best! I hope you get the job." 

As I was about to open the door, I heard another shout behind me. "Wait! I didn't get your name." I turned around to see that smiling face.

"That's because I didn't tell you." 

Rolling her eyes at me, she looked on intently waiting for an answer.

"Elizabeth Cooper."

Sending me a wink, she said, "Antoinette Mitchell, but call me Ani." As soon as she told me her name, she swiftly turned around to serve the customer who had just walked up to the counter. 

Smiling at her antics, I pushed open the door to be met with an average sized room with a wooden desk in the middle covered with papers and few photo frames. Book shelves stood by the walls, a small couch, a few plants and ornaments made the room cozy and comfortable.

My eyes landed on the lady sitting behind the desk looking at me expectantly. She looked like she was in her late sixties with her greying hair and the glasses that rested on her nose. She looked intimidating and approachable at the same time.

"Hi. I'm here for the interview for the position of a barista." She continued to stare me down, assessing me.

"Yes, please sit down." She gestured towards the chair in front of her desk.

"Your name?" She asked, looking straight at me through her glasses perched on her nose. A small bead of sweat slid down the side of my face, it wasn't even that hot.

"Elizabeth Cooper." I answered determinedly.

"You can call me Alice." She informed. Scrutinizing me for a moment, she got right into it.

"So Elizabeth, do you have any experience being a barista?"

"No, but—" She cut me off before I could continue.

"So, you have no experience. Let me be straight with you, being a barista is demanding. People assume that it's easy, but do you think you'll be able to handle moody customers? A group of people impatiently waiting for their coffee while you fumble around trying to figure things out?"

She was definitely scary.

"With all due respect, I believe I can do it. I'm a fast learner, and I can be quick, I can handle working under pressure and still produce good results. I can even work extra shifts if need be."

"Hmm." She watched me as I held her gaze. After nearly making me pass out from suspense, she finally said, "Can you start by tomorrow?" 

Letting out a breath of relief, a small smile graced my face as I said, "Definitely."

"Be here at eight o'clock. Ani will guide you through everything. I assume you've already met the girl." Her expression softening slightly at the mention of Ani. "The cafe opens at half past eight and I hope you learn the basics by that time."

I nodded.

"Don't make me regret this." 

"I won't let you down."

She took up her pen and adjusted her glasses. Taking that as my cue to leave, I got up and walked to the door. Before I could go, I turned around to see her immersed in work.

"Thank you for your time." She gave me a genuine smile and I closed the door behind me.

Seeing me exit, Ani who was leaning on the counter and peering at the door which I walked out of, excitedly gestured to me to come to her with a bright smile on her. Walking up to the counter, she looked at me expectingly waiting for me to let her know what happened.

When I didn't say anything, she sighed exaggeratedly and said, "Do you I have to spell it out for you?"

"Spell out what?" I asked.

"Tell me." She demanded dragging the 'e'.

"Oh, the interview?" I asked pointing towards the door while she nodded fervently. "Uh...I didn't get it." I said, putting on a sad face.

"What? Why?"

"I wasn't qualified enough and honestly I don't blame her. I really wanted it though." I said. Fake wiping a tear to make it more dramatic.

At lightning speed, she was out of the counter and storming to Alice's office. Luckily, I caught her before she could bust down the door.

"Oi, Ani! I was kidding. Jesus." I said with wide eyes.

She flicked my forehead and walked back to the counter. Guess I deserved that.

"If I knew you were going to go crazy, I wouldn't have played you." I said as I followed her and rubbed my forehead.

"That would have gone out of my paycheck if you didn't stop me." She said nonchalantly while checking her nails.

This girl was crazy and I liked it.

"Well, she does have a point. I have absolutely no experience at all. I don't know how to make coffee using those expensive machines and what not."

"You just have to learn, it's easy. If I can do it, then so can you."

"And this is where you come in. Tomorrow, you have to guide your disciple."

"Huh?" She asked while I looked at her eagerly. "Oh, hell to the no. I didn't sign up for that."

Raising my hands up in mock surrender, I informed her, "Boss lady's orders."

"Boss lady, my ass. I ain't coming here at eight in the fucking morning. Fuck that."

A throat cleared behind Ani and her eyes flashed with panic. She slowly turned around and came face to face with Alice. Ani stood as still as a statue and even though I couldn't see her face I knew she was probably shitting her pants right now. Alice had that effect on people.

"Ani, you'll be coming here at eight in the morning to teach Elizabeth and help her as well. Am I clear?" She asked in a no-nonsense tone.

"Yes ma'am." She mocked saluted her. This girl had guts. "And watch your language, young woman." 

She turned to me, "Oh and Elizabeth; your attire should be black and an apron will be provided."

"Yes." I answered. She gave Ani a mock glare and walked back into her office.

"She whooped your ass." I said after a few seconds of silence. Ani's face was priceless, I couldn't stop laughing.

"I got to go. I'll see you tomorrow at eight." I sent her a smirk and walked away towards the exit.

"Fuck you, Cooper."

"Right back at ya, Mitchell."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 27.1K 54
Jaeson Davis and his girlfriend, Jayda Johnson have been dating each other for some time now. Jayda finds out he's been sleeping with her best friend...
197K 5.4K 61
Josephine Pryce will do anything to get out of Lakeville even if it means simply tutoring her arch-nemesis Flynn Cauley. Except when it comes to him...
1M 39.9K 26
Rachel had survived the worst kind of heartache and had moved on with her life by following a dream that she had always had, to be a medical relief w...
284K 7.3K 31
Meet 16 year old Harper-Ariana Reed. Her father had been abusing her for years after her mother was shot. The once happily family Harper remembered w...