Born together, die apart (you...

By Hikari_Takeru

Not only do Kid Flash, Aqualad, and Robin find Superboy in CADMUS but a certain set of twins. Read to find ou... More

Introduction
Independence Day
Welcome to Happy Harbor
Drop-Zone
Schooled
Infiltrator
Denial Part 1
Denial Part 2
Downtime
Bereft
Targets
Homefront
Revelation Part 1
Revelation Part 2
Humanity Part 1
Humanity Part 2
Humanity Part 3
Failsafe
Disordered
Secret
Misplaced
Cold Hearted
Images Part 1
Images Part 2
Agendas
Insecurity
Performance
Usual Suspects
Auld Acquaintances

Alpha-Male

2K 51 0
By Hikari_Takeru

Mount Justice; September 23rd, 06:34 EDT

Green Arrow placed a bowl of pretzels on the table. Wally had both his shoulders on the table, resting his chin on his crossed wrists. Artemis sat on the same side of the table as him, leaning her right elbow on the table as her head rested in her hand. Conner stood opposite of Arrow defensive in his body posture, but the worry is clear on his face. Wanda leaned on the front the table with her head down. M'gann sat across from Artemis, looking expectantly at the hero clearly mirroring the Boy Wonder who sat beside her. "Thanks, but no thanks," Wally said harshly.

Green Arrow backed off instantly. "Yeah, what we want are answers," Robin pointed out, looking to Wally as his only other means of support since Kaldur was not sitting with them. The redhead sat up straighter, following the Boy Wonder's trail of thought before they both turned towards the blonde hero. "about Red Tornado and his siblings."

Nothing showed on Green Arrows face, he didn't even flinch. "Exactly." Wally snarked, though it lost some of its heat as he saw Arrow reach for the bowl, starting to walk away with it. He didn't even manage to fully turn around before Wally's hands were around the bowl, taking it back. "Leave the bowl," he murmured quietly, taking a handful of pretzels into his hand and eating them. Wanda lifted her head, narrowing her eyes at Aqualad who was talking with Batman. She could tell he was hiding something by the way he lowered his voice so she decided to unblock his thoughts from her mind.

Could Sportsmaster be right? Was Tornado the mole this entire time and none of us were aware?

Her eyes widened as she blocked them once more. Apparently she wasn't the only one who was ease-dropping because Superboy launched himself at their leader, grabbing him by the shoulders. "YOU KNEW?" He put his super strength to use. "That android and his maniac family nearly killed M'Gann!"

M'gann flew over, confused. "Conner, what are you doing?"

"Kaldur knew we had a traitor among us and said nothing," Wanda stated, letting anger was over her for a brief moment before calming herself.

"You knew?" Robin questioned, betrayal clear in his voice.

"And didn't tell us?" Kid spoke so closely behind Robin that it was hard to tell if they're just that in sync or it was actually meant to be two separate questions.

"I sought to protect the Team from-" Kaldur only looked to Conner as he spoke.

"Sought to protect us from what?" Wanda asked, having heard that saying before.

Artemis finally spoke up, sounding just as mad as Robin and Wally. "Knowledge that might've saved our lives?"

Conner turned to a mostly silent M'gann. "You almost died." She didn't say anything but looked shaken nonetheless.

"Enough." Batman got the instantaneous respect he demanded. Everyone turned toward him and narrowing his eyes was all it took for Conner to release his hold on Kaldur's straps. "With Red Tornado... missing the Team will now be overseen by rotation supervisors. Captain Marvel has volunteered to take the first shift."

Wanda finally pushed herself off the table making her way to the team as Captain Marvel approached the Dark Knight, standing taller beside him. "I'm really looking forward to hanging with you guys."

Robin, Wally, Artemis, Wanda, and Megan all shared a look behind the still tense Conner and Kaldur. The clone turned to the leader, speaking in a low snarl. "After I dismantle Red Tornado, you and I are gonna-"

Batman started walking the second Conner looked away, clearly knowing what the teen was thinking as he unabashedly cut him off. "Red Tornado is a member of the Justice League. That makes him a League responsibility. You will leave him to us." No one said anything so he turned and called up a holoscreen of a newspaper article. "I have another assignment for this team."

"Gotham Mayor attacked by Guerilla Gorilla?" Wally read the skepticism is clear in his voice.

"Batman, please!" Robin begged. "Tell me you're not sending us on this joke of a wild ape chase."

"I never joke about the mission." The Dark Knight gave his protége no room to try to argue. "I've checked the sources," he continued. "I've studied the patterns. Mayor Hills' encounter is only the latest in a series of incidents." he turned to the eldest. "Aqualad, you and your team will depart for India and check this out." Aqualad nodded, and the Team was already walking towards the Bioship's hanger.

.........................................................................

Northern India; September 23rd, 21:36 IST

The Camouflaged BioShip flew over the darkened landscape. Before it even landed the bottom opened to let Robin and Artemis belay out as a unit. Landing almost silently, before releasing the handles and pulling out a pair of Birdarangs and nocking an arrow before they headed out to secure the perimeter. The BioShip landed behind, the door opening letting Captain Marvel, Aqualad, Wanda, and Kid out. Robin and Artemis come back as Superboy landed behind Aqualad with Miss Martian close behind him. "All Clear," Robin informed.

Aqualad's gear switched with a tap. "Switch to Stealth," M'gann and Wanda were the only ones who didn't as he turned to face them. "and we'll review mission parameters."

"Parameters?" Kid asked, tapping his suit to change color. "We don't need no stinkin' parameters."

Robin was quick to agree. "It's Recon, we know what to do." With that the two of them turned, heading into the jungle.

"Kid, Robin," Kaldur tried.

Robin turned back instantly. "The three of us started this team because the Justice League was keeping secrets from us," he pointed out harshly.

"Or did you forget that like you forgot to tell us about the mole?" Kid asked both sarcastically and rhetorically as he put his goggles on.

Wanda noticed as SB grabbed onto Miss Martian's wrist which she instantly took back, scolding him telepathically. She must have said something that surprised him because he stepped back, claiming how he was just trying to protect her. "Like Aqualad protected us?" The metahuman finally chimed in, stepping between the two.

"I'm not sure if your protection or patronizing is good for our health," Artemis added, poking him in the chest to get her message through. The three of them walked away, leaving a very conflicted Superboy. M'gann flew just above Artemis' head as the three make their way through the jungle under the full moon, moving alongside a large river, a waterfall to their back. What they didn't notice is the large shape moving in the water. Wanda came to a stop, looking at the water, narrowing her eyes. "What is it-" Before she could finish, a gaping mouth jumped out of the water at Wanda. The gigantic alligator barely being stopped by her foot and hands, keeping its mouth open. Artemis grabbed an arrow, taking aim and firing. Only for the log she stepped back on to have another come underneath and knock her completely out of the water. The snapping teeth barely miss her once, but the second time it caught her quivers, dragging her down as gravity caught up. The archer tried to grab ahold of her quiver, but the alligator started to spin. M'gann dived in, heading straight for her teammate, getting a hold on her forearm as the supersized gator stopped spinning. Ripping the strap of her quiver so Artemis could swim away. As Miss M used her telekinesis to part the water around the blond, Wanda's hex created four spirals chasing the supersized gators away. Artemis coughed up the water out of her lungs, as M'gann went back to having two hands. "Okay, nearly drowning two nights in a row is way less fun than it sounds."

Miss M-Aqualad, can you hear me?

K-Yes, Miss Martian. Report.

Miss M-Artemis, Wanda, and I were attacked by animals wearing Inhibitor Collars like those used in Belle Reve Prison.

K-Miss Martian, i need a telepathic link up with the entire Team, now.

Miss M-Link established.

A-Should he really still be giving us orders, and should you really be following them?

K-Listen, please-

KF-Oh good, Aqualad's voice in my head. I've so missed that.

R-Hey, Kaldur! KF and I were attacked by giant vultures. 'Course, since we're moles, you probably think we attacked ourselves.

W-If he did, he wouldn't tell you.

Miss M-Superboy, are you online, or just pouting?

SB-Busy. Call back later.

Wanda decided to leave the link, feeling herself getting annoyed once more. Her eyes traveled the deep jungle, stopping once she felt Robin and Kid's minds near by deciding to go them since they were just standing there. Once she got to the two, she placed a hand on both of their shoulders making them jump. "Oh, it's just you," Robin said turning back to his hologlove.

"A little warning next time would be nice," Wally added, clearly annoyed.

A-Wanda's gone-

W-I'm with Robin and Wally. We were just standing there while you guys argued, nothing was getting done.

Robin moved through the tall bush up the sharp hill from the building that the Captain was being held in. Kid Flash slowly came up behind him, sliding on his goggles and turning on the infrared. Wanda was close behind, searching for any other minds around but came out empty.

Miss M-I'll fly over-

KF-Negatory. The shield extends like a dome over the whole compound.

R-Pylons are insulated but one good shock could cause a momentary gap.

A-I see a target.

K-Then be ready to hit it. Be ready, all of you.

They watched as Aqualad ran over with his tattoos glowing, placing his hands on the shield as pushing electricity into it. It was a moment before Kid saw a small gap, telling Artemis to shoot. Her arrow flew through the gap, hitting the target right on. As the shield lowered, KF and Megan were at Kaldur's side almost immediately. As for Wanda she stopped, following the Boy Wonder's gaze to the howler monkey which was watching them the whole time. Suddenly, it let out a howl the actual alarm soon following. Three of them launch at the two but Wanda acted fast, her hex catching them while they were still in the air. Kaldur stood tall, looking to his team. "Remove their collars!"

With the blink of an eye her hex crushed the collars around their necks. Robin ran off going to help Artemis. This was when Mallah made his appearance, coming out with another machine gun. He growled and sniffed as M'gann tried to sneak back him in camouflage. Just as she made it through the doorway, he grabbed her by the shoulder, throwing her into the dirt. This knocked her unconscious. Mallah went to grab her again when Kid sped in. "Get your paws off her, you darn dirty ape." His voice a far angier growl than he had ever been before. He went to shoulder the gorilla, but the enhanced animal turned so that Kid bounced off his massive chest. Wanda wrapped her hex around the apes' gun, breaking it. This made him mad as he charged at her. He grabbed her hands pushing her back but she stood her ground, holding onto his as her feet dug into the ground. Finally, he let go of her, raising his fists to smash her. She took this as her opportunity, hex encasing her fist as she punched his abdomen sending him through the wall. "It's the Brain!" Kid was able to pinpoint who it was in a matter of moments, and suddenly the enhanced animals made sense.

"Uh," Artemis scoffed. "I can see it's a brain."

Kid grit his teeth as he glared over his shoulder. "Not a brain, The Brain."

"In the flesh, so to speak." the Brain confirmed, then turned. "Mallah." The gorilla held something in its hand, and when he pressed the button, pylons rose up from the floor, taking out the Team the same way he did Captain Marvel.

K-Miss Martian, Superboy, now.

M'gann's eyes glowed white as she telekinetically took the remote from Mallah, stopping it over her face so she could press the button to turn off the pylons, just as Superboy broke through the wall on the other side of the hallway. Wanda rolled out of the way as the gorilla went for her immediately. He was able to get another gun, shooting at whoever he could. Brain tried shooting at Aqualad but ended up missing every time. Eventually, he and Mallah ended up surrounded.

Kaldur snapped the collar off of Captain Marvel. "Thanks," he said brightly as all the restraints fell away then moved to the tiger, doing the same for him. "Now, one good turn deserves another."

Mallah roared in rage. "Try it. I hate monkeys." Conner growled alongside the wolf as he cracked his knuckles.

"No Mallah, this will not be our Waterloo," the Brain said as multiple compartments began to open around his body. "Au revoir, mes amis."

"Get down!" KF yelled as the humming hit a new pitch, almost drowning out his warning. Wanda quickly threw a force field around each of them, waiting for the explosion then suddenly everything went dark. When the lights started to turn on again, they were gone. She lowered her hands bringing down the fields. "Wait, that big weapon thing was... a light switch?" Kid asked, confused as he straightened up.

.........................................................................

As the sun began to pinken the sky over the trees the team was back at the BioShip. "What are you grinning about?" Artemis asked KF.

He held the red beret in his hands. "One word: souvenir." Then put it on.

"Two words: gorilla lice," Wanda said as she passed by behind him.

"Huh?" He then processed what she was saying. "Oh, man!" He took it off and held it away from him as he groaned.

Wanda walked to the ship, stopping as a tiny monkey jumped on her shoulder. It went through her hair to the other side making her laugh. "Aren't you cute." The monkey went down to her hand, using it as a branch to swing off of her, running back to its group.

Robin stood on the ramp up to the BioShip, clearly waiting for Kaldur. "Look, I need to know, why did you keep the mole intel secret?" Robin just as Kaldur went to pass him on his way up.

Kaldur stopped and everyone else slowly moved towards the BioShip for the conversation. He didn't turn away from them as they all waited for the same answer. "The source of the tip was Sportsmaster," he said simply.

"What?! You can't trust him!" Artemis snapped.

"I do not. It seemed possible, even likely, that he was attempting to divide the team with false information." Kaldur informed them simply.

"And given how the mission went, he almost succeeded," Wanda pointed out.

"But you had to consider it might be true," the Boy Wonder chimed.

"Yes, as leader, I did. In which case, I did not wish to alert the traitor." He looked directly at Robin as he spoke, knowing that the Team will one day fall to him and explaining this will help him.

"I hate to say it, but it makes sense," Robin said with a one sided smile.

"I am still prepared to step down." 

Wally raised his hand. "All in favor of keeping Aqualad as leader?" M'gann, Conner, Wanda, Robin, and Artemis all raised  their hands instantly. "Guess it's unanimous." They got on the bioship ready to head back to the cave.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

349K 7.2K 43
Just a collection of Young Justice Boys ROBIN KID FLASH AQUALAD SUPERBOY and if anyone wants to do a Red Arrow I will put in your credit f...
109K 2.4K 21
The Justice League's covert operations team is sent to check up on Project CADMUS when they resurface a few years after the team rescued Superboy, on...
11.8K 362 25
"𝒔𝒉𝒆𝒔 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒔𝒌𝒆𝒚 𝒊𝒏 𝒂 𝒕𝒆𝒂𝒄𝒖𝒑" 𝐀 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐠 𝐉𝐮𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐦, 𝐋𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐥𝐞...
19.5K 548 12
Where the Young Avengers get stuck in the universe of the Young Justice squad.