140503, BOOK REVIEWS

By kangseunggi

140503. a 2020 kpop review book for those looking to better their writing ! ․... More

140503
registration
i
ii

book review 001

121 12 16
By kangseunggi

times neue roman, white .

grotesque. a twisted telling of a girl's
demon. a demon so disgusting, she'd rather
rid herself of, then continue living with.

a poetry horror story by @procrastinity. 

5/5
do. not. change. it. ever. the story lends itself to it too greatly, and it's amazing anyway.

4/5
many writers seem to think that a long, info dump-esque description = a good description. i disagree. there is something quite wonderful about simplistic descriptions, if done right. grotesque's description has done it. the use of words such as 'defiling', 'lurks' and the likes helps portray the tone of the story while also urging the reader to continue reading. i'd have liked it if you'd found a synonym for 'talk', or have worded the one-liner differently.

5/5
wouldn't change a thing. clearly states the mature content and copyrights in a professional manner.

15/15
there were no problems with spelling or any punctuation. i loved the way in which you went about this (poetry and grammar).

20/20
grotesque was a slow burn. the plot moved at a good progression and there was never a chapter that did not devote itself to adding to the story. by "indecent" i'd realized this was an abstract telling of a very real situation. by "disgusting" i've started to piece together what kind of relationship yerim has with this mystery person. i went back multiple times to reread before i guessed where this was going; a book that can do that is worth reading. its originality is in that many wattpad writers refuse to step outside their sunshine n' rainbows bubble... this story keeps the reader questioning and doubting themselves. that's great, considering that it is a poetry book.

8.5/10
there were virtually no problems with realism/plot holes. i would have liked it though, if the writer described the situation between yerim and her mother as being almost parallel to that of hers with her father (example: having to clean, cook, her being an alcoholic) except that she didn't sexually abuse her. that got lost in translation for me.

18.5/20
honestly speaking, i can not mark the writer too harshly on characters. the story relied less on characters and more so the character's— realistic— situation. yerim's character arc, although we don't truly get an internal glimpse into, was needed. i would have liked to have seen a chapter after "grotesque" describing her relief and realization of her freedom, if possible. the story clearly states yerim's relationship with her father as being abusive (in more ways than one) and toxic. yerim speaks/thinks in short sentences, which helps to portray the impact of the oppressive and abusive environment she's living in (example: "i cook the food/i stay away/ i keep house").

i have no  major  cons here.  i'd  only offer
a piece of advice when it comes to "farcical".
maybe adding a one-liner  after the stanza to
solidify  that  her situation with her mother
and father are indeed different.

maits' professionalism is something  i
admire and here they are, demonstrating it
by their attention to detail and mannerisms.
adding a playlist to their book was an added
bonus i truly enjoyed. the  chapter titles are
synonyms of  'grotesque'? i love u. another
detail i  loved was  the mocktail.  because it
wasn't  a mocktail,  considering  she  could
smell the fragrance of "vodka and tobacco".

76/80 , 95%. review completed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

753K 29.4K 41
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
216K 5.3K 33
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
85.9K 3.1K 32
There's no way you're hitting on me right now. ━ Lando Norris x Fem!OC © KissLeclerc , April 2024
942K 16.1K 41
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...