Hell and Back (EXO x Reader)

By always_5hinee

(Warnings: Mild language, violence, death, intense themes) Your friends have been trying to form a boy band f... More

The Offer
Devision (Trial 1)
Preliminaries (Trials 2-5)
Delinquent (Trials 6-7)
Good Samaritan (Trials 8-9)
Youtube Classics (Trial 10)
New Rules (Trials 11-13)
Spree (Trial 14)
Enigma (Trial 15)
Sticky Situation (Trial 16)
Sour (Trials 17-18)
Failure (Trial 19)
Fast and Furious (Trial 20)
Canyon Birds (Trial 21)
Cake Walk (Trial 22)
Slide (Trial 23)
Dashboard (Trial 24)
Date Night (Trials 25-26)
The First Rule of Fight Club (Trial 27)
In the Name of the Law (Trials 27-29)
Geared Up (Trial 30)
Round 3 (Trial 31)
Double Take (Trials 32-33)
Exhausting (Trials 34-39)
Dr. Who (Trials 40-41)
Recovery (No Trials)
Prying in Faith (Trial 42)
Sharpshooter (Trials 43-44)
Explosive Decisions (Trials 45-46)
Antidote (Trial 47)
Hanging Tension (Trials 48-49)
A Halfway Leap (Trials 50-60)
Condolences (No Trials)
Test Tubes (Trials 61-70) [Part 1]
Test Tubes (Trials 61-70) [Part 2]
Past to Haunt (No Trials)
Split Decisions (Trials 75-78)
Abscission (Trials 79-83)
Laundry (Trials 84-87)
Turn In (Trials 88-89)
Game Master (Trials 90-100)
All is Fair in Love and Rewards
Epilogue
End Note

Entry

160 5 0
By always_5hinee

Chapter warnings: Mild language

Word count: 1661

-----

"So basically, I can have up to fifteen people." She explained. "And I figured you guys might want to help me out a bit?" Y/N was currently trying to explain the mysterious email she had received the night before, mentioning the opportunity for a wish and the potential group that she had in mind. The more people the better, right?

"So you can wish for anything?" Sehun asked, leaning forward with an intrigued glint in his eyes.

"I mean... yeah, it said that."

"We could totally wish to be rich, then." Kris suggested.

"Or famous!" Chanyeol added.

"Guys." Suho held his hands out, quieting their overlapping suggestions. "We could get the band." The whole group went into what almost looked like a frenzy, Y/N watching it with a glossy stare. She hadn't mentioned yet that she'd already made her wish. She just needed their help.

"This sounds awesome!" Tao cheered above the chatter, pumping a fist in a strange little dance. His and all the others' eyes were bright with excitement and hope, glittering with the promise of a better future. She didn't doubt that it was exactly the look that was on her face walking down the street the night before.

How was she meant to crush their hopes on this? There wasn't really much she could do. Even if she could change her wish... would she want to? There were ways around it. She could say that it gave her a multiple choice, or that it just sensed her deepest desire. Better yet, maybe she could convince them that it was what they internally wanted, and the strange system just figured it out on their own.

So now she was considering lying... Would it be worth it? For a power? She was conflicted beyond belief on it. It could change her life forever, make everything great, but... these were her best friends in the whole world. They were there for her even when she wasn't skilled, when she couldn't do what they could. They never made her feel worthless for it. How could she be expected to break the news to them now, though?

As she considered her options, optimism already warping with worries, she heard a notification ring from her phone. She had all of her notifications turned off all the time- until last night. She had set her email notification to ring should something come in. Sure enough, the little envelope icon was glowing on the screen. Noticing it over her shoulder, Chen's face lit up.

"Open it!" Hand shaking just slightly enough that she was the only one who noticed. Clicking into her phone after typing in her password. She moved to her inbox. Breath hitching, she recognized the clarity of the header. She felt a surge of heat as the large group of boys crowded around her, trying to see over each other to the tiny window.

Pressing on the icon, the letter opened up, listing on in the same shimmery white script under the now slightly familiar elegant logo. The label at the top simply read Thank You. In the interest of her entire group of friends, she read it out loud.

"You are allowed to enter up to fourteen teammates, providing for a fifteen-person team maximum. The signer of the initial email must be present for the start of the trials, but does not have to remain throughout the entire process. Please enter the names of those who wish to participate. After the details have been given, all will be given an opportunity to revoke their application. Looking around at them, she asked if they were all willing to participate.

"This seems a little sketchy." Baekhyun said quietly. He hadn't really spoken up until this point, but he wasn't too excited at the prospect of some mysterious set of 'trials'. She had to admit that the word didn't sound the most pleasant.

"Come on, we'll be able to pull out if we really want to." Lay nudged him. "Count me in! Seems like it could be fun!" Looking around, she saw the various nods and agreeing murmurs. Noting no objections, she wrote down all their full names. Clicking enter, it buffered, then switched screen.

"Your wish has been ascertained."

"You made a wish already?" Luhan asked, brows furrowing confusedly, wondering why she wouldn't have spoken up certain.

"No, ascertained means to find something out. That insinuates that they picked it for us." Kyungsoo explained, Y/N breathing out in a quiet sigh of relief. She'd tell them eventually. Just... not now. She continued reading to take their attention off of the tangent.

"Your trials have now been activated." She read out. "An app request will be sent to your phone. To continue playing, accept the request and download the software. Follow the instructions from there. Thank you for your submission." Just as she hit the final 'enter' button, the email disappeared again, just as it had before.

"Well..." Baekhyun noted. "That was... something."

"Did you guys get the notification yet?" Lay asked, already pulling out his phone. After a few no's, Chen spoke up.

"Wait, what is this?" Showing his phone to Kyungsoo, the man sighed. "That's an update notification from your settings app."

"Oh... and that one?" Kyungsoo looked again.

"Oh- now that's the notification." Lay ran over to look at it. Sure enough, he had received a generic notification that had the regular options of accept or deny. The simple black font asked, Allow dHJpYWxz to download and make changes to your device? Before Chen could even do anything, Lay groaned,

"Aww, why did he get it first?" Reaching over his shoulder to tap 'accept'.

"Hey!"

"What? You were gonna do it anyway!" Sure enough, the notifications began popping up one everyone's phones. Once all the boys had accepted (some more excitedly than others), Y/N received a slightly different notification.

All of your party has entered. Allow dHJpYWxz​​​​​​-party1​ to download and make changes to your device? Confused on the new wording, but unaware of a better option, she clicked accept as well, opening the app. Once her's was running, all the others began scrolling content across the screens. The app had the same sleek design as the email, featuring the black and silver color palette.

The makeup of the app was very minimalistic. The homepage for the boys had four very distinct sections, each with a translucent color to separate it. The first was "Current Trial", second was "Completed Trials", the third was "Players", and the final was "Rules and Gameplay". Y/N's screen housed all of these, as well as another bar before rules titled "Abilities bar". Clicking through, everything seemed a bit bare, so she directed everyone a bit awkwardly.

"Hey, we should probably read through the rules." They all agreed, clicking into the tab to skim the sheet as they took turns reading sections aloud.

Welcome to the trials. You have all agreed to participate thus far. There are 100 rounds, each with a different goal that you will be given at the start of the round. There is no way to skip a round, and you will not be able to see rounds in advance. For every round, you will be given your goal. Some will include time limits or specific items you need to collect. In addition, for each round, one person will be prohibited from using their abilities. This will be non-negotiable, as you will find your powers rendered useless for the round.

In all public trials, you are permitted to cause as much or as little of a scene as possible. You are not allowed to explain the trials to anyone, or you will be eliminated. You may not be caught by law enforcement, or you will be eliminated. You may not cheat, or you will be eliminated. Loopholes, however, are valid and could even be rewarded.

At the start of every round, you will be given a chance to drop out. Each trial will have its own drop-out fee aside from Round 1. Your fee will be collected under any and all circumstances, so consider well before you choose to exit the trials. In the event of someone leaving the trials, they are not permitted to return, but the rest of the group remains unaffected. In the event that Player 1 leaves the trials, the remaining players will be given an additional trial to determine a new player 1.

To win, at least one person must complete all 100 trials successfully. In the event of a victor, a wish will be granted. Any questions may be asked through the Rules and Gameplay help bar. You will be answered in a timely manner. If you receive no response, your question may have been invalid, or there may be assistance on the way. At this time, if you wish to remove yourself from the trials, please go to the Current Trial page and follow the sequence. This will be accessible at all times.

"This is... a lot to process." Kris said, rather obviously. Each of them was exploring the app curiously, most of the buttons inactive. Clicking into the Current Trial bar, she noted that the drop out button was indeed active. Underneath the big letters, "End Trials", there was a smaller script reading, Removal Fee: None. Next to the button, there was also a large "Begin" button. Looking at the others' screens, she noted that she was the only one who had it. She assumed that, as the so-called Player 1, she was in charge of deciding when the rounds began.

"So... are we doing this thing?" Tao asked her, leaning forward to hover over her phone a bit.

"If you all are ready." With sideways glances and nods from the group, she inhaled deeply, finger hovering over the screen. Finally, she worked up the courage and clicked it, lighting up the page.

Trial 1: Start.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.5K 958 33
Chen turns to me and hands me his phone. "Save your number. I would like to.... make a deal with you." He says as he blushes. I take the phone and...
10.7K 531 42
You never know where life may take you. I never thought I'd hold a gun to man's head and shoot but here we are. Here we are, hands covered in gold, s...
3.6K 273 43
A beautiful girl that everyman wants....loves Who mesmerizes every man in the world..... Who thought she would be Mesmerized for the FIRST time by...
17.5K 549 21
"I promise you I will always be here for you from now on, I'm not leaving your side." You giggle a little from his statement. "Is this your own way o...