Free Minds Chained Hearts | ✔

By illianaklyne

Loving yourself is hard. Trying to find love in a family who objectified you? Seems like work. But try findin... More

W E L C O M E
P A R T 1
P R O L O G U E
Part 1 | Chapter 1
Part 1 | Chapter 2
Part 1 | Chapter 3
Part 1 | Chapter 4
Part 1 | Chapter 5
Part 1 | Chapter 6
Part 1 | Chapter 7
Part 1 | Chapter 8
Part 1 | Chapter 9
Part 1 | Chapter 10
Part 1 | Chapter 11
Part 1 | Chapter 12
Part 1 | Chapter 13
Part 1 | Chapter 14
Part 1 | Chapter 15
Part 1 | Chapter 16
Part 1 | Chapter 17
Part 1 | Chapter 18
Part 1 | Chapter 19
Part 1 | Chapter 20
P A R T 2
Part 2 | Chapter 1
Part 2 | Chapter 2
Part 2 | Chapter 3
Part 2 | Chapter 4
Part 2 | Chapter 5
Part 2 | Chapter 6
Part 2 | Chapter 7
Part 2 | Chapter 8
Part 2 | Chapter 10
Part 2 | Chapter 11
Part 2 | Chapter 12
Part 2 | Chapter 13
Part 2 | Chapter 14
Part 2 | Chapter 15
P A R T 3
Part 3 | Chapter 1
Part 3 | Chapter 2
Part 3 | Chapter 3
Part 3 | Chapter 4
Part 3 | Chapter 5
Part 3 | Chapter 6
Part 3 | Chapter 7
Part 3 | Chapter 8
Part 3 | Chapter 9
E P I L O G U E

Part 2 | Chapter 9

2K 93 13
By illianaklyne

When I arrived at the mall I was calmer than before. Despite what had happened I managed to keep a decent face and a stable mind. I tried to hide the bruise with some makeup and my glasses but I knew it could only go so far since I've done it before. My only chance of not being noticed is hiding as much as I could from Cade. Try my hardest not to look suspicious and weak for I know that Cade will definitely react unashamedly. He would have me by my hand to the dorms for all I care.

The mall itself doesn't really leave me a lone wolf, perhaps this wasn't the right place. Speaking on the eyes that darted my way as I hung my head or the whispered as I passed a family. So much for not being suspicious.

I believe I told Cade to wait for me at a coffee shop and my only hope is that he followed my words and didn't bring a companion. I've had enough shares of look in my parade of shame. My parents, however, they never left my mind; how would they when they almost took the life they gave me.

"Evie?" I hear Cade's worried tone as I entered the busy cafe and there he was, stood by a table, looking at me in wonder as I turned. Then, his eyes narrowed then shock overtook it. My heart raced as his feet did on their way to me.

"Jesus Christ— your face!" He quietly exclaimed as he lifted his hand to it but I stopped him, looking around as to not arouse suspicion.

I thought my shades hid it well enough.

"It's nothing." I simply said, leading us to a table and sitting down, aiding my aching hip from the fall— but he didn't need to know about that.

"Nothing? You have the map of America on your cheek...in black and purple. How is that nothing?" His anger only rose as expected because who would not be angry to see their friend all of a sudden beaten up to a pulp.

I sighed in justification and gathered my thoughts before talking.

"Clearly the plan didn't go as planned but that's why I called you." I leaned in, whispering closer as his fingers anxiously tapped on the wooden table.

"Clearly? What do you want me to do? lie?" He frowned.

"You know what they'll do if they know—"

"Yeah, keep you safe and protect you from the things your parents can do." He points to my injuries and I close my eyes, struggling to stay sane by the one being. I know he only means well but speaking to me like I don't know the type of danger I'm in doesn't help it either.

"Just for now Cade. I'll tell them eventually but the fewer people know the easier it is for me to collect myself and gather strength to kinda defend myself."

"So why me then? Why not Danica or something?" He queried and I nodded in understanding.

"Because I thought you'd be calmer and more rational. Just prove to me you are because I really don't want to fight back. I'm done for the day." I admitted to him carefully.

His reaction however suddenly changed into that of regret as he shook his head. Then, something occurred to me.

"Cade, " I said, "what did you do?"

He looks at me with wide eyes and parted lips. There's something he wanted to say as it seems but just didn't know how to say it. I frowned while waiting and he finally caved in.

"I'm sorry but he wouldn't leave me alone. He knew you were the one who called and forced himself to come anyway. I tried to get him off of my fucking case but he followed me like a lunatic—"

"Who?" I trembled in terror and he nods his head to the right. I followed it with my eyes slowly, afraid of who he might've brought. Then, I realized I have all the right to be terrified.

"You brought Matteo?" I hissed.

I looked into his eyes and onto his fisted hands. He was tense as he watched me and I couldn't help but see the anger brewing in his features too. He had the perfect scowl on his face and his rugged hair looked like he just came from a fight.

"As I said, he followed. I couldn't give two hoots about him. I'm sorry."

Just then, Matteo stood from his table, walking up to ours and sitting beside me.

Upon his presence, I shook. I could feel the anger raging through him and the smell of cigarettes and an aftershave sends me further in fear like a familiar smell of a predator. He didn't look at me but I was sure he had more than just concern to express. For some reason, however, I don't think he is mad at me. I think there's something else on his mind.

"Matteo, nice to see you—" I tried to alter the situation but he cuts me off.

"Cut the crap, take the glasses off." He mumbled and I scoffed in disbelief. This guy has absolutely no regard for the situation. Maybe he's just a curious guy.

"What?"

"Take the glasses off, " he spoke through gritted teeth as he turned to me with angered brows but concerned eyes. It caught me off guard and I was thankful for the glasses then because I was sure my eyes were as wide as the moon.

Perhaps I expected the same old brooding eyes he wore so perfectly.

"Matteo, really? You have to be an ass even now when you see—"

"Shut up." He cuts Cade of and he groans.

Thinking Matteo wouldn't give it up, I sighed and slowly pulled the glasses off of my face, like someone revealing themselves for the very first time. As I did, the bright lights flooded my vision for a moment, blinding me as tears spilled from the watering of the pain. I squint to ease it but it only made it worse.

When I could finally see again, I was met by Cade's disappointed face and Matteo's blank one. They both stared at me and there I felt like breaking.

I felt so exposed to them, ashamed that they knew I wasn't strong enough to fight this; to prevent it from ever happening. It feels so patronizing the way they stared at me. I felt weak and ashamed. Vulnerability never looked too nice on me, especially to my parents so I grew to hide it yet now here I am, at my most vulnerable; in front of two men.

"My God, Evie." Cade shook his head and I almost choke in tears and ts getting harder to hold them back.

"Don't ever try to hide bruises from me." Matter said, "For a man who's beaten up many, I know when someone is hiding it. It's elementary." His jaw clenched as he stood up with a sigh. His nose flared and his hands disappeared into his pockets.

"You need to ice that now. Can you drive to the frat?" He puckered his forehead and I frowned too. Cade stood up as if he was about to hit him but I glared, or I tried at least.

"Excuse me, what? Why would I want to go there?" I almost laughed.

"Because you said you didn't want others to see you looking like a punching bag and there are enough things there to at least lessen the swelling. You got hit pretty hard; obviously." He rolled his eyes as if I should've known it and I didn't appreciate that.

However, knowing him, there is no use in arguing. So, I gave up and agreed. Cade protested as expected but even he count fight much when Matteo made it perfectly clear that he meant no harm and he was just trying to help. It was a surprise to us of course but afraid to risk angering the beast, we kept quiet until we reached our cars and head to the frat house.

• • •

The frat house was empty to my surprise and Matteo said everyone was at another gathering that he couldn't really be asked to join. It was a relief knowing that no one else would have to see me bruised up as if I got into an ugly catfight. It was also a relief that Cade agreed to stay and watch over me while I'm here. I can't imagine being alone with Matteo here.

"Take a seat on the counter, I'll get some ice." He said, walking to the fridge.

I take a look of reluctance at Cade and he only rolled his eyes in what I can only assume as disregard for Matteo. Everyone knows these two drifted away pretty quickly when Cade became a good friend. Sometimes I find myself wondering if it was my fault that they drifted. But I'm not really sure if I want to know the truthful answer.

"Well, you two deal with this, I'm quitting. Let me know when I won't have to look at Evie like she just got into a street fight." Cade announced to Matteo as he walked back to the living room that was soon followed by the low him of the tv.

My heart raised at the realization that I'm alone with Matteo, despite not wanting to be. I hear him close the fridge and my heart only went miles on.

He was too quick to tell me to come here and offer help that it was almost unbelievable—almost.

Despite our quite ugly start, recently he started becoming a little bit more...considerate. He became more aware of the things he did and I don't know whether to believe it or disregard it for all the reasons that he didn't care before. I don't know what to think and I don't know if I want to think. Perhaps letting his caring self longer would be a way to go but if I'm being honest, I don't think I want him to leave.

Despite his way of ignoring me the past few days; until once this week.

"Are you gonna leave me to assume who did this to you or will you tell me?" He asked, wrapping the ice pack in a cloth as he walked up to me.

I don't answer and when he looks up, his brows furrowed and his green eyes met mine. He was as curious as to the Cheshire Cat and I felt rather encapsulated in his gaze that the words just felt like rolling out of my lips.

"Why does it matter?" I said, contrary to what I wanted.

He sighs and he stood close enough that as he looked down, I felt his breath on the tips of my finger. Now, he lifted the pack to my cheek and as it touched, I winced as it stung. He frowned at my reaction and recoiled.

"Sorry, " I said and he shakes his head, putting the pack back to my cheek, dabbing it in different places to not burn my skin more. It felt like little needles sucking out the blood; not a very pleasant thing.

"It matters because you're in a frat house sitting on a counter with an ice pack on your face and bruises. Is that valid?" He said and I can hear the impatience in his voice. His tone, and how he spoke delicately contrasted with it nonetheless.

He is right; he always seems to be.

There is no reason for me to try and dodge it when he clearly knows what happened. I've underestimated his mind once and I doubt doing it again would get me anywhere further. I need to stop pretending as if I can escape him because the heavens know I couldn't.

"Fair enough, " I winced again when he reached my eye and he recoils again. I can tell he was getting cross with my reactions so I try to manage them.

When he noticed my sudden panic, he looked at me apologetically before putting the ice down and leaning in. He traps me between his arms that rested on the counter I sat in. As he leaned down to my eye level, I moved back a little as our noses touched. My eyes widened at his mercurial action and I almost gasp but his eyes only glued to mine.

"Evangeline, " he whispered, his accent more prominent and the air in me gets caught. "Who did this?"

Chills ran down my spine as I tried to look to the living room, hoping that Cade was there but his back was turned to me while he watched a game. I can feel the heat from Matteo's breath down my neck, making the hairs on them stand.

I gulped and forced to answer, "m...my mom." Like a kid, I stuttered. I watched as his jaw clenched and his eyes darkened. As his eyes flicked to my lips, his pupils dilated, and my heart stopped.

"She's a bitch isn't she? " he whispered as though he just zoned out and his hand touches my bruised cheek.

"Y..yeah," I said just as quiet as he did because I didn't know how to respond.

I now feel his breath on my lips and the adrenaline kicked in as fast as a bullet.

"Kiss me." He whispered so enchantingly that I almost find myself abiding instantly. Almost.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

454 52 16
People say when you are in love you become blind but in love you don't only become blind you forget to breathe but yet you feel the most alive ; Isab...
4.9M 109K 65
Hailey Summers. I knew she was gonna be a problem for me the second my eyes fell on her in the school hall way that day. I didn't know anything abou...
3.2K 57 17
16-year-old Seraphina Vesper was completely content with her life. Being ahead in her grade she is perfectly college-bound and her unknown secret onl...
112K 2.8K 41
Do you ever wonder what life would be like if it were a movie? Or some sappy romance novel that you wish your life could be like but it's not? Someti...