Fate Set Right

By mltrefry

Time-Turners are dangerous devices, and awful things happen to wizards and witches who meddle with time. Or d... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Epilogue
Bonus - Bits After the War

Chapter 55

595 21 30
By mltrefry

—————A—————

February 16, 1997

"Where you two been?" Ron asked as Aurora and Ginny joined him and Harry in the Great Hall.

"Sleepover," Ginny replied as they sat down, grabbing some breakfast. "Girl time with Luna."

"Ah," Harry said with a small smile. "Someone may or may not have been wondering where you ran off to. Or when you were coming back."

Aurora met Harry's gaze but said nothing, she knew what he was implying. Instead, she grabbed some pancakes and sausage and when she swore she felt her mother's eyes staring holes through her skull, fruit.

She was looking forward to the Quidditch practice scheduled for that morning. She had a desperate need to hit things, to take out her frustrations with herself more than anything. Her time with the girls was helpful, and it was oddly cathartic to have girl time, but absolutely nothing felt better than whacking a Bludger.

She ate, listening to the idle chatter between Harry and the Weasley siblings, and saw that her mother was at the head table and had probably been staring at her. She rose with her team, heading out to the pitch.

Aurora and the girls parted ways from the boys, got ready, and then they were on the field.

With the cold winter air blowing on her face, Aurora escaped the problems that plagued her. They may not have been many, and they were entirely of her own making, but up there, listening to Harry as he ran drills, she didn't have to dwell on them. There was only the biting wind against her face, her hair whipping out behind her, the pleasant coil of muscle as she hit the Bludger.

And all too soon, it was over.

"Great job!" Harry said once they were on the ground. "We're heading up against Slytherin next month, and they have a match against Ravenclaw coming up, so we'll get to see where we need to adjust. Anyway, let's get on with our day," he said, and Aurora was about to head to the locker room with the rest of the team when she noticed Neville slowly coming toward them.

A part of her wanted to run and lock herself in the changing room. She wanted to hop her broom and fly up and above the castle. But she also knew she was being ridiculous and needed to face him eventually.

Ginny paused after she realized Aurora wasn't following, and with a glance at Neville, raised both brows and tilted her head ever so slightly. Aurora shook her head, and Ginny nodded before heading into the changing room.

Aurora leaned against her broomstick, waiting for her boyfriend.

"Hi," he said timidly.

"Hello," she said with a twitch of her lips.

Neville shifted, looking at the ground.

"I'm sorry," Aurora said, and Neville's head whipped up, eyes wide.

"S-s-sorry?" he said. "So.... So, you regret...."

"No, no, not... not exactly." She frowned, trying to put her words together. "Though I understand if you do. It's just... well, the way things had been going between us since January, it felt like the next step. It felt like a natural step, and I found that I was ready for it. I wanted it."

"Me too," Neville said a bit too eagerly, and Aurora sucked in her lips and bit down to prevent the knee-jerk laugh that desperately wanted to escape. Neville blushed, laughing quietly at himself. "Bit too quick, that was."

"I don't know," Aurora teased. "Heard some blokes are much quicker than that." She sobered, their conversation meant to be serious. "Neville, it's not that I don't care deeply for you."

"Is it ... is it someone else, then?" he asked timidly.

"No, it's not like that," she assured. "I just..."

"You need time to get there." Neville nodded in understanding. "I've been half in lo—, I've liked you a lot for a long time, and I suppose I forgot that... that you didn't. Like me. As much."

"I can get there," she said, smiling hopefully.

"I can wait." Neville smiled. "I'm good at waiting."

"Patience of a Hufflepuff," Aurora teased. She then looked at her broom, shifting it a bit. "I'm a bit sweaty, but if you don't mind that terribly, we can go for a ride." Neville's deep blush had her laughing hard enough that she doubled over. When she could breathe again, she clarified. "Around the pitch, on my broom."

"Not very good at flying."

"You're not the one who would be doing all the work," she said.

Neville shook his head. "I shouldn't."

"All right," Aurora conceded. "Then at least let me get cleaned up, and then maybe we can go for a walk around the grounds or something?"

"Yeah." Neville nodded, smile growing. "I'd like that."

March 18, 1997

She'd been dreading this day.

Walking down the Transfiguration corridor, the only thing that Aurora could imagine making this worse was walking into Professor McGonagall's office and finding her parents sitting there with her. Thankfully, she knew her father was also conducting the career guidance meeting, so she was not about to be accosted by him. Her mother, on the other hand...

After entering, she breathed a sigh of relief to find only her Head of House inside.

McGonagall chuckled. "You were worried your mother had weaseled her way in, weren't ya?" she asked as a tea service popped up beside her.

"Yeah," Aurora confessed, taking a seat as her aunt poured, preparing her tea just so.

"I thought it might be nice to do this a bit informally, like I did with your mum. Though she was already fairly set on a career path. It's my understanding that you aren't."

"No," Aurora said as she accepted her cup with a thanks. "I'm afraid when it comes to life after Hogwarts, I am woefully unprepared."

"What have you considered?" Aunt Min asked, and Aurora snorted.

"Probably easier to say what I won't be doing. I won't go into potions, Leo can do that. I won't go into Arithmancy, I simply don't have the passion for it. I don't want to be a shop girl, though I know a pair of businessmen more than willing to hire me, if I so desire. Sadly, it seems that's the way the thestral's flying, as it were. I'm not good enough to consider professional Quidditch, and I have no desire to teach. I spent nearly my whole life at Hogwarts, I would really like not to spend the entirety of it here." Aurora smiled in self-deprecation. "Can't bode well for me, can it? We're in the middle of a war, and I can't think of my future."

Aunt Min pursed her lips. "I worked at the Department of Magical Law Enforcement for two years after Hogwarts. It's what I thought I wanted, what I was made to believe I wanted. I gave up everything for it." She looked as if she was seeing something else for a moment.

"What did you do? You weren't an Unspeakable."

"No," Aunt Min replied. "No, that's the Department of Mysteries. No, I was employed as a consultant for understanding and reversing Transfigurations gone wrong. I'd been studying to earn my Transfiguration Mastery while still at Hogwarts, and the work would be considered part of the learning experience. But I found I didn't enjoy that as much as I thought I would. I returned to Hogwarts to be a teacher, since Professor Dumbledore had been promoted, and there was a vacancy. I could continue earning my Mastery through independent study, and it helped me escape from something I was not enjoying."

"And yet you want to suggest such a path to me?" Aurora asked, earning a scowl for her cheek.

"The point is, Rory, that you might have had something in mind, but you might find it isn't for you after all. You're right, we're in the middle of a war, and it's likely going to be that you'll be changed by it. Maybe that will help you figure out where you want to do in life. Mr. Potter wants to teach, but prior to his need to fill in the gap that the former Professor Umbridge created, he had considered being an Auror. I imagine that, prior to his association with Mr. Potter, Mr. Malfoy thought he would be following in his father's footsteps in the Ministry. Now, one wonders what he wants to do."

"A lot of the same, but with an aim to change," Aurora replied.

"Well, there you have it. Change happens, Aurora. Now, I've reviewed your marks to get an idea what classes you should take, and not the ones your family wants you to. Anything to do with Herbology is out, much to Mr. Longbottom's dismay, I'm sure."

Aurora snorted, mouth twisting as she tried not to laugh. Aunt Min wasn't doing much better.

Clearing her throat, she continued, "You have high marks in Runes, Charms, Transfiguration, and Potions. Should you choose, you can join the Aurory, or you could get into spell creation. You would do well in something academic, though I don't believe research is your niche. Studious and intelligent though you may be, I can't say I can see you spending your life in research."

"No," Aurora said.

Aunt Min looked at her thoughtfully. "Have you ever considered Healing?"

Aurora shook her head. "But I'm not sure I would be able to handle it."

"Perhaps not. But it's an option, and one that may be needed during these times. However, the thought just occurred to me... Muggle Relations. Proper Muggle Relations led by an intelligent witch who grew up with a foot in both worlds. And stays in both worlds. Whose parents lived and stayed in both worlds. After all this is done, the wizarding world will need to make changes. You'll have an advantage, Aurora, in that you're friends with the Harry Potter. Use it."

"Maybe," she said, looking down at her lap, trying not to argue.

Her aunt's cool hand covering hers startled her into awareness. "I do hope you aren't thinking of tailoring your decision to a young man?"

"No," Aurora replied. "I have a lot of respect for my Aunt Cissy and for Mrs. Weasley, but my life will not be placed on hold for a man. I may not know where it's going, but I do know that it's not to be a housewife."

Aunt Min smiled. "Good. Now, I believe we've had enough academic discussion. I'd like to talk with my niece. How are things?"

And with a smile, Aurora finally relaxed.

—————S—————

April 12, 1997

He had a feeling something was going to go wrong today. He knew it from the moment Potter brought Weasley to his office, yelling for entry into his private chambers because someone had poisoned the ginger numpty.

It was conveniently timed, all things considered, and reeked of sabotage. It wasn't a deadly poison by any means, but it was enough to send the lad to the hospital wing, where he would remain for the remainder of the weekend. This weekend also happened to be one of Gryffindor's last matches for the school year.

He hadn't paid too much attention to who the seconds on the Gryffindor team were.

The feeling that something wrong was about to happen only intensified as Mr. McLaggen sauntered onto the field. Minerva had already ranted enough about him enough, so Severus knew he was trouble. Apparently in the weeks leading up to this match, one that would heavily influence the overall standings of the houses, the self-entitled dunderhead had felt it imperative to impart his supposed wisdom to Harry.

It was a wonder Potter, Aurora, and the Weasley children hadn't ended up in detention for hexing the idiot.

McLaggen was trying to insert himself into the role of captain. He was shouting, it seemed, from where he was supposed to be protecting the rings. He wasn't doing a good job, not that Severus was complaining. It was his house they were up against, after all, and he was more than pleased to see that the points were starting to favor him.

"Honest opinion, Professor Snape," George Weasley asked without tearing his eyes away from the field. "Is Ickle Ronniekins going to be missed?"

The twins had accompanied their mother through the Floo to see their younger brother, and when the coherent Ron asked someone to watch the match for him, they'd been more than eager to join the teachers in the stadium. Though what had surprised Severus the most was that, instead of sitting on a bench of their own, or maybe even sneaking over to sit with their former housemates, the twins sat between him and Minerva.

"From what I've witnessed, unless McLaggen is below average, he will not be," Severus replied and watched proudly as his daughter whacked away a Bludger one of his more brutish Slytherins had aimed at Miss Robins.

The Mr. Weasley beside him balled his fists, his mouth barely restraining a smile. Severus watched this particular twin out of the corner of his eye. While Fred watched the match, his eyes flitted frequently to a particular player.

"Aurora has managed to earn herself a bit of a reputation," he said as the crowd took the opportunity to cheer and jeer as Ginevra scored. "She's considered a bit more terrifying to encounter in the air than you were. You and George may have had a powerful hit, but what Aurora might lack physically, she makes up for with aim. Not to mention the scowl she gets when she plays."

He watched as Fred smirked. "I can see that. It must have shocked the other teams. Rory may be tiny in stature, and Bludgers aren't easy to hit."

"My Slytherins asked me if she uses a spell. I didn't have to answer, Draco was more than willing to divulge tales of the frequency and strength in which Aurora has knocked him off his feet."

The crowd roared, and Longbottom could be heard well over the rest. Severus turned toward the Gryffindors and sneered. Aurora had stopped a Bludger from hitting Potter, hardly anything worth cheering her name for. Severus shook his head, trying to focus on the match once more.

"Ah, good ol' Nevvie, cheering her on," Fred said, and Severus glanced at the young man, noting the tightness in his smile.

"Every game," Hermione said from Severus' other side. "He roots for her like she's the one winning it."

"And you think that's a good thing?" Severus asked, and Hermione looked surprised.

"You don't?"

"No," he said bluntly.

"But she's your daughter!" Hermione protested.

"She plays Beater, Hermione," George said. "She's not supposed to be cheered for hitting the Bludger."

"It's what she's supposed to do," Fred added.

"A cheer like Neville's would only be appropriate for something spectacular."

"Like hitting a Quaffle into the ring with a Bludger."

"Or the Snitch into the hand of the Seeker."

"Nothing likely to ever happen," Fred concluded.

Hermione's jaw tightened, and Severus had to control himself before he smiled affectionately at his wife and a student witnessed it. She was about to say something when she frowned.

Severus turned back to the match, eyes falling on Aurora. She was on her broom, her scowl a full-on sneer as she faced the rings. Severus darted his eyes to the rings and was on his feet in an instant. He could see what was about to happen before it happened.

McLaggen had somehow taken the Beater bat from Aurora and had just hit the Bludger as Severus looked at him.

And the Bludger was heading right for the pair of Seekers.

Draco had moved just under Potter and it saved him from his competitor's fate.

The Bludger made contact with Potter's head and he was out cold in an instant.

Draco must have seen him falling, because he instantly stopped his pursuit of the Snitch and swooped down to get his boyfriend. Severus watched Aurora flying up to get Potter's broom before it took off past the pitch. Ginevra dropped the Quaffle in her hands and moved to catch the Snitch as Draco flew to the ground.

"I'll contact Sirius," Hermione said, starting to leave before Hooch had officially called the end of the game. With the youngest Weasley male in the hospital wing, Poppy wasn't at the pitch. Normally, if that were the case, it would fall to Severus to tend to the injured. But he couldn't do that, not for Potter, not while the whole school watched. He grit his teeth, trying to build up his Occlumency walls before his worry for the boy and his frustrations showed.

"I think you're good, sir," George said quietly, and when Severus glanced at him, he gestured down to the field.

Aurora was casting a spell over Potter, who was now on a stretcher. She was looking at Draco, and the two seemed to be determining something before they moved their wands in unison and slowly made their way off the field, Potter floating between them.

"Bright side is, your house won," George added with a grin.

"For a minute there, I thought Rory was going to go beat McLaggen," Fred mused. "Would've liked to see that."

"Me too, Mr. Weasley," Severus sighed. "But alas, we can't always have what we want, and I'm afraid Aurora has just enough restraint that it wouldn't be as enjoyable as we think it would be. If you'll excuse me," he said, leaving the pair to see if he could help away from prying eyes.

—————A—————

April 25, 1997

The owl landed in front of Harry, and he frowned as he read it over. He then handed it to Ron, who paled as he read it over, then handed the parchment to Ginny.

"Might as well read it over her shoulder, Rory," he said. "It's addressed to all of us."

Ginny shifted closer to her on the bench, and Aurora leaned in to read.

Aurora, Potter, and the Weasleys,

You, Draco, and Leonidas are to make your way down to my office at seven o'clock. No one else. Do not arrive en masse.

Snape

"What do you think he wants with us?" Harry asked his plate.

"Must be to do with ... you know," Ginny said.

"Has to be," Aurora agreed. "What other reason could he have?"

"Unless it's a really overdue detention," Ron said thoughtfully. "I mean... we did sort of gang up on McLaggen."

Harry snickered. "Bats out his nose, puking up slugs, toenails growing out his shoes...."

"His hair still hasn't started to grow back in," Ginny chuckled.

"Yes, well, we might have done that, but Leo had nothing to do with it," Aurora said, finding her brother at the end of the table, reading a letter, occasionally talking over his shoulder to a little blonde at the Hufflepuff table.

"Definitely has to do with the other thing, then," Harry said with a sigh.

"Suppose we'll know tonight," Ron grumbled, and Aurora simply nodded in agreement.

—————S—————

He was pleased that they listened to him. Leo arrived on his own shortly after dinner. Draco was next, on his own, a half hour before they were meant to be there. Aurora came next, followed swiftly by Miss Weasley. Potter and Mr. Weasley arrived together, appearing morose until the door shut behind them. With them assembled, it was clear that they had been wondering all day what was going on.

Severus looked each of them over and felt a pang of longing in his chest. For the times when Potter and Weasley hated him, because it meant they were still young. For the times when Draco walked around the castle an arrogant Malfoy heir, for the realities of the world had yet to set in. He wished for the early days when Aurora and Ginevra were just beginning their friendship, and that Leonidas had yet to step into a world where he had to hide more of who he was than he ever had at Muggle school.

They'd grown up and grown wary, cautious. He'd have said battle worn, but it wasn't quite that. They had simply grown up too fast, thrust into a war they didn't want to be a part of.

His eyes scanned over them again.

"Five out of six of you have already gotten a taste for battle and the consequences such a venture brings. It will only get worse. In a month, perhaps two, the events we discussed in the cottage will come to pass. It will likely be tame compared to what's to come. Which is why I asked you all here."

He turned to his desk and picked up the six small bottles filled with a golden liquid.

Draco's, Aurora's, and Leonida's eyes all widened.

"Is that why I couldn't go into the lab?" Leo asked, mesmerized by the potion.

"It is," Severus replied.

"Why?" Aurora asked.

"Because your mother and I had a discussion, and I decided I wanted each of you to have a shot for a rainy day. For the three of you who obviously have no idea what this is, this is Felix Felicis. Liquid Luck. Each vial has enough potion for two hours of luck. Be careful, don't waste it on ridiculous things. This is for emergencies only, an insurance policy that each of you might make it through the war."

"What about the rest of the Order?" Potter asked.

Severus began to hand them each a bottle, delaying answering.

"Some, and only some will have enough for a half hour, an hour tops. It takes six months to brew this potion, and it never yields very much. But if you were to ask each and every member, they would rather the six of you have it."

"So, this isn't for us to use... when it happens. This is for later?" Ginevra said with a hint of uncertainty.

"When ...it ... happens, I fully believe that all of you will be in your respective common rooms. If you aren't, still don't use it, not unless you somehow find yourself in a life-threatening situation." He said this mostly to Potter, who had the decency to look bashful.

"Dad," Aurora said, and his eyes darted to her. She pursed her lips. "What about... what about Luna and Neville?"

He shook his head. "They're not in the Order."

"Neither are we," Draco pointed out.

"Not officially, no. Because to officially be a member, one must be inducted by Dumbledore. But there were six of us who felt that secrets were not the way to go about this. Miss Lovegood and Mr. Longbottom may be your friends, and they may have joined you at the Ministry, but they know nothing of the Order."

"Neville does," Potter pointed out. "It was either him or me as the Chosen One."

"That may be so, Mr. Potter, but it was not Mr. Longbottom. It was you. And Augusta Longbottom, while an avid supporter of the Light and Albus Dumbledore, will not allow her only grandchild to risk life and limb in war. "

"Thank you, Uncle," Draco said, gesturing with the vial. "We'll use it wisely."

"Not a word," he said, and they all nodded before they left in the same order they arrived, until Severus was left in his office alone.

He slumped against the desk, closing his eyes and rubbing the bridge of his nose. He heard Hermione coming through from their chambers and wondered why she hadn't joined them earlier. Her arms slipped around his waist, and despite having an arm slung across it in a half fold, Hermione rested her head against his chest.

"You didn't tell them that we gave our doses to Theo," she said softly.

"No," Severus said, shifting his arm to go around her. "But then, they don't know it's Mr. Nott who was forced to be a Death Eater and will need all the luck he can get."

"Maybe so," Hermione said, and he opened his eyes to meet hers as she tilted her head up to look at him. She sighed. "And, I suppose, one less thing for Rory and Leo to worry about. If they think we have a dose each, they won't be as terrified when it happens."

"Much as I hate to say this, I believe only Leonidas would be terrified. Aurora... Aurora has already faced Death Eaters. I fear her fear will only make her that much more determined to be a part of it." He scowled. "She gets that from her mother."

"You can't pin all her rash bravery on me."

"Says the Gryffindor."

"Yes, says the Gryffindor who married a Slytherin brave enough to spy for a man he detested. I don't recall being as steady and fearless when facing them as you were."

He couldn't argue that, so he didn't. He simply embraced her tighter.

After a time, she hummed contentedly. "I'm going to miss this the most. This year has been an utter tease, being able to hold you every night."

"I will confess I've felt spoiled. Like a man facing the gallows, I get one last taste of joy before certain death."

"Well, now you're just being all doom and gloom," Hermione chided.

"One of us has to be realistic," he retorted, smirking when she playfully smacked his chest.

"Come on, I had the elves make us some tea. I'm not sure what it is, but it's different. More like I remember from my student days."

"The ones with Potter or the ones with me?" he asked as he let her lead him into their chambers.

"The ones with you, of course. Awful as it sounds, I don't remember nearly as much from my days with Harry."

"Probably for the best," he conceded, allowing himself to spend the evening with his wife.

One of the last he'd get before the world went to pot.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 31 16
Raised in a loving family a small girl is suddenly whisked away and taken from the safe home all the way to a school. The name of the school is odd i...
3.5K 69 16
After the war Hrmione goes off to find her parents only to discover there dead. Learning of her parents death causes her life spiral out of control...
13.8K 287 43
"Who is she?" "She is the heir of Godric Gryffindor and quite possibly the most powerful witch the world has ever seen." ...
115K 2.2K 72
Eleanor did it: She survived her first year at Hogwarts,but that doesn't mean her life will get any easier. Not only are the horrid nightmares featur...