Fate Set Right

By mltrefry

Time-Turners are dangerous devices, and awful things happen to wizards and witches who meddle with time. Or d... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Epilogue
Bonus - Bits After the War

Chapter 41

803 29 17
By mltrefry

—————S—————

March 21, 1980 (continued)

"I know." He smiled and seeing the shock and confusion on Hermione's face was worth it because for once, just once, he had something on her. She probably knew, of course, that this child was happening. She hadn't needed a potion or spell to come to her conclusion, so there had to have been a Snape she knew in her past. Their future.

"How?" she demanded, an edge to her voice that belied her suspicion.

"You're exceedingly exhausted lately. You complain of aches in the most peculiar places. Your diet has changed: you eat more and of certain things. I had a slight bit of doubt, as you haven't suffered from nausea. Oh, and the night of the meeting, when Lily was sent away? It didn't occur to me until well past that night that we didn't use any form of protection."

"Oh," Hermione said, her cheeks turning a lovely shade of red. She did glow more, too, but Severus guessed she wouldn't want to hear how radiant she looked, or how much the knowledge that she was carrying his child, even if it wasn't remotely visible yet, raised her attractiveness in his eye. "Well, I suppose there's that. We were in a bit of a hurry..."

"I've never been gladder that my partners can't have children," Black interjected, eyeing his cup with suspicion. "Something's in the water, the rate these pregnancies are popping up."

"There's a potion I know of that facilitates that. But it's Dark magic, and it's... not precisely for the man you love," Severus offered, watching as Black's face drained of blood quite quickly. "And in any case, the only reason it seems like there are so many with child is because of the threat. If there wasn't a prophecy to worry about, then you wouldn't even think about the number of pregnant witches."

Sirius nodded, humming in agreement, and decided to focus on his breakfast than continue that conversation.

"I think a child is wonderful news," Minerva said just as Dumbledore took his place beside her. The headmaster heard and turned to look at Hermione with a glint in his eye.

"Indeed," Severus agreed, a light smile pulling at his lips.

"Do you know what you're having yet?" Minerva asked absently, taking a sip of her morning tea.

"I honestly can't say," Hermione replied pointedly, and Severus watched Dumbledore's lip curl into a grin.

"And how far along are you, my dear?" he asked. "With Severus only at the castle on a regular basis in the last week, you must have been using a very strong spell to detect it."

"I suppose I'm about four or five weeks," she replied thoughtfully, and Dumbledore snickered. Snickered. And the way his eyes darted past Hermione?

Severus sighed and rolled his eyes internally, unable to understand how such a brilliant man could be so utterly stupid to think that Black was involved.

Pregnant.

A flood of nerves and joy washed over Severus, the thought of a child, his child, inciting both pride and fear at once. He had had the perfect example of what not to be from Tobias, and while he still had some regret over the bastard's death, he'd never stopped being a bastard. His mother, caring but aloof, proved even the most unnatural parent could be competent when given the chance. But there was still a worry that he would somehow poison his child's mind unintentionally, his double life leading them to believe the wrong thing. Or, perhaps, what if it eventually took its toll and he was not as patient with them as he should be?

Yet, as it had on occasion the last few weeks, he couldn't help but picture a head of dark hair standing in front of a cauldron, small hands wrapped around a stirring rod, learning the most basic potions well before their first year. Son or daughter, he would teach them anything he could, and teach them spells to defend themselves from bullies.

A smile tugged at his lips as his heart swelled with the idea of a little one running gleefully toward him with a non-poisonous plant for potions.

He wanted it so bad he could taste it.

He hadn't had much love in his life before Hermione, now it seemed he was going to be overwhelmed with it. And he wasn't complaining in the least.

—————H—————

June 13, 1980

"How are you holding up?" Hermione asked Lily after James left them alone in the kitchen.

Hermione wasn't quite sure if the production James had put on was just for show or genuine care. There was the assurance of a comfortable spot to sit for the very large Lily, as well as ensuring her feet were comfortably elevated, that her tea was fine, and that she wasn't hungry. He didn't offer any comforts to Hermione, of course, until Lily pointed to Hermione's midsection. And that was fine, honestly, as she was really quite comfortable and not all that far along in comparison.

"It's... better," Lily said, nodding once as if she had to decide on the matter. "James is still a toerag from time to time, but once we were stuck, with no one else here... Hermione, he got better. It was like he was the James he was our final year: less of an idiot, sweeter."

Hermione narrowed her eyes at her friend. "Oh Merlin, you truly love him, don't you?"

"Yes," Lily replied with a grin.

"Even after what he's done? The lies?"

"Oh, and Severus has never done anything wrong?" Lily questioned. And no, she wasn't wrong, Severus was nowhere near perfect.

"But most of what he did was before we were together."

"And I went into this with James knowing what he was like," Lily sighed. "Look, I get it. I do. He doesn't like Severus, and because of that, things will always be hard. He's immature and really needs to grow up, but I promise he's been the best to me. I honestly can't imagine going through this with anyone else. I don't know, H., there's just something about him..."

"H.?"

Lily smiled. "Well, yeah, sorry. Just... I figured that in Death Eater meetings or whatever, you're known. And even if you wear a Glamour, your name isn't really common. I spend a lot of time just thinking."

"I like it," Hermione assured. "It's better than needing to come up with an entirely different identity." For a reason Hermione could not fathom, Lily blushed. "What?"

"Well..."Lily glanced at Hermione's rounded belly. "It's just... we do get visits from Dumbledore and he's... whenever we mention Sirius, he's hinted—"

"Oh, for Merlin's sake!" Hermione cut her off, startling Lily a bit before she laughed. "Once, one time we made it seem like Sirius was coming out of my room from a night of ... and it was Severus' idea to make the headmaster believe we had a thing. But I assure you, this is a tiny Snape in here."

"Either way." Lily shrugged. "I want you to be the godmother."

Hermione stared at her friend, blinking. "Are you sure?"

"Yes," Lily said firmly. "I know we haven't always been the best of friends, and James has argued I'm closer to Alice than you. But Sev is my oldest friend, and while we could have two godfathers, I'm not a big fan of that. So, second closest girlfriend and wife to my oldest and dearest friend, I'm asking you."

Hermione wasn't sure what to say. Her mouth worked while no words came out, just as her brain tried to process that she would be her friend's godmother.

"Okay," she said quietly.

June 14, 1980

"I swear on my wand that I, Severus Tobias Snape, will take Draco Lucius Malfoy into my family should anything happen that would leave him without parents. I will protect him, guide him, and serve as an extension of this family should he ever need me."

It was interesting to watch the ceremony tying Severus to the Malfoys through tiny baby Draco after her conversation with Lily. The stray thought that these boys were bound together from the beginning in ways they couldn't imagine softened her strained smile for a moment.

Severus was the only godparent: Narcissa was the only one with siblings, and Bellatrix was so entirely against children she wasn't even present for the blessing; and from what Hermione observed, Lucius had no friends he would trust such a task to. But seeing as how it was Severus' potion that finally helped them conceive, Hermione supposed it was a no-brainer.

Draco squirmed as he was placed in Severus' arms to solidify the bond, and Hermione considered how calm he was. How calm they both were, really.

It was at that moment she felt Aurora kick, and Hermione grinned widely.

July 31, 1980

It was rainy, which only fit the mood all too well as the Order of the Phoenix gathered inside the Potter house. Severus had been silent since James' Patronus announced that morning that Harry James Potter had been born two weeks early. He also clung to Hermione, never letting her go too far, unless she had to use the loo.

No one said much. Sirius, seated beside her, was quiet. Remus, next to him, seemed to want to offer something to fill the silence, but always thought better of it. Minerva clutched her tea.

"Where's Peter?" Remus finally asked.

"I haven't seen him in a while," Sirius replied absently.

"He should be here for this," Remus insisted, making Alastor look at him. "He should . James and Lily are our friends, and now..."

"Now they fulfill a prophecy that marks their son as the possible defeater of the Dark Lord," Severus finished the sentence Remus couldn't finish.

"And who told the 'Dark Lord' about it?" Sirius hissed, dark eyes narrowed as he turned to Severus.

"I did. On Dumbledore's orders. So, if you take issue with what I've done, please direct yourself to the one whose orders I was following."

"Now, don't the pair of ye start," Minerva said sharply. "Was no one's fault. Except, perhaps, wee Harry's who couldn't stay in the womb another two weeks."

"But then we'd have known without a doubt that baby Neville was the target," Remus reasoned.

"I know how awful this makes me sound, but I would have rather it had been," Sirius said, standing to walk around the table, rubbing at his facial hair. "I know it's selfish. I know it's because I want Harry safe. But at least if it were the Longbottom lad..."

"If the worst happened, you wouldn't be broken up about it?" Remus asked, the tone of his voice sharp, harsh.

Sirius whipped his head around in shock. "Do you think me heartless enough not to care? Of course I do, but one baby is easy to keep hidden. Two..."

"Oh, so it's the fact that James will need to remain in hiding."

"Actually, yes, that's a part of it, Moony. Have you considered that there's no real timeframe for this? Just a 'marked as his equal' note. I don't think that he'll go around marking a baby, an infant, as his equal. So how long will James and Lily be locked away? Until Harry goes to Hogwarts? Until he's seventeen? Severus might know what Voldy might do, but we don't."

"Be reasonable, Sirius. Dumbledore will not keep James and Lily hidden—"

"Actually, I will," Dumbledore interjected as he swept into the dining room, James behind him, carrying a very tiny, sleeping Harry in his arms. "We will need a Secret Keeper for the Potters." Dumbledore paused, and looked back at James, who met the headmaster's gaze with cold certainty. He sighed before continuing, "I'd have liked for it to be Severus, but Mr. Potter here is adamant that it is not."

"And not H., either," James said. "Sorry, but no one can convince me that you two could keep the knowledge secure enough from Voldem—"

"Don't say his name, you blithering idiot," Severus hissed, gesturing sharply to his left arm.

"And that's why I can't trust you. Either of you."

"He has proposed Sirius," Dumbledore said to the room. "Of those here now, who is opposed to Sirius being the Secret Keeper?"

"I am," Sirius voiced instantly, and confusion washed over James' face. Sirius laughed mirthlessly. "Bit obvious, isn't it, mate? If I were someone who wanted to find you, I'd certainly go looking for me."

"Is anyone else opposed?" Dumbledore asked the room.

Hermione looked around. No one opposed. It was sound logic for Sirius to be the one to keep the secret; anyone who knew him knew he would die before betraying his loved ones.

Biting her tongue, Hermione held back the urge to say something, anything, that could affect her Vow. Times were beginning to get tricky, and she knew she had to be more cautious about what she said now more than ever.

—————S—————

November 2, 1980

Why did he agree to teach? Why had he listened to Dumbledore and the Dark Lord? He hated his classmates when he was a student because they were all utter dunderheads, and not much had changed since then.

These little... creatures, for lack of better word, seemed worse than those he went to school with. How could they not grasp the concept of a simple cure for boils? They were in their second year, for Merlin's sake, and they knew nothing . How could Horace have gotten so lax in the last few years that these fresh, vibrant minds knew nothing? Well, perhaps vibrant was too optimistic a term for them. Functioning may be a touch too generous. Living, then? Minds housed within a living body?

Black smoke started to rise from a Slytherin cauldron, and Severus flicked his wand lazily, Vanishing the ruined potion from the cauldron.

"That, Mr. Brooks, will earn you a zero and one foot of parchment explaining the importance of a complete circular stir in the proper direction. Now—"

A house-elf popped into existence in front of him, causing a few students to shriek.

"Tizzy is sorry for interrupting Professor's potions class, sir, but Tizzy has been sent for you."

"Why?" Severus asked, flicking his wrist once more as a terrible smell filled the air. Dunderheads couldn't even handle the simple distraction of a house-elf.

"Tizzy is here because little Miss is coming."

"Little Miss?" Severus narrowed his eyes at the elf. "What in the world do you mean by—" The words registered, and what little color occupied Severus' face drained away. "Little Miss?" Her ears even flapped as she nodded excitedly. "It's..." He spun toward the class. "Out. Class dismissed." He Vanished the remainder of the potions in the cauldrons and left the class, heading for his quarters.

November 3, 1980

Severus stood in front of the windows in his quarters, watching the sun break over the horizon with his daughter in his arms.

He was called midafternoon by Tizzy, and for the next fourteen hours, he watched his wife go through labor. It was almost like watching someone suffer through the Cruciatus Curse, the way she writhed and screamed through the contractions. Poppy had offered her relief many times, but Hermione had refused. Her brow damp with sweat, her curls losing their luster, she had set her jaw and declared she would go through the process without aid, not unless she needed it. Which, she hadn't, thank goodness. Lucius had to bring a Healer from St. Mungo's during Narcissa's terrible labor, but Severus and Hermione had been lucky. Dumbledore took Poppy to Lily, though it was probably because Potter had no idea what to do. Not that Severus was all that helpful. He clutched Hermione's hand more for his own comfort than hers.

But then, just an hour ago, the cries of a small dark-haired girl punctuated the silence of the hospital wing, and a laughing Hermione wept with joy at seeing their daughter for the ... well, not the first time, he supposed. Baby cleaned, wrapped, and given to Hermione to nurse, the pair of them had fallen asleep before Poppy left the chambers to leave them to bond as a family. He'd watched the whole thing in awe, the way instinct had taken over his wife and she knew exactly what to do. But hours of labor had left her beyond exhausted, and so when it was clear their child had finished her first nurse, he tucked his wife in, took their daughter, and simply held her as he watched the daybreak.

"We never discussed what to name you, little one. Your mother, she's from a different time and knew who you were before I even thought you could exist. She already knows what your name is. Did she happen to tell you? Whisper it to you while you were still inside her? What do we call you, pretty girl?" He paused, looking down at her sleeping face. "And you really are so very pretty. More so than I could have ever hoped." He looked out the window once more, at the colorful sky, the breaking of dawn over the light snowfall that dusted the ground, making everything shimmer. "As pretty as this sunrise. How fitting a welcome for you, the way the sun greets you. Shall we call you Dawn, then? No. How about... Aurora."

"I think that's perfect," Hermione said from the bed, and he turned to see her giving a very tired but coy smile. "Aurora is perfect."

"Is it?" he asked, arching one brow. "Well, then, if you approve."

Hermione chuckled, her voice still sounding hoarse from her earlier struggles. "I do."

"And what of your middle name? Aurora Hermione, while traditional, is not what one calls elegant." He looked at his wife. "What was your mother's name?"

"Jean," Hermione replied. "My middle name. But I don't think that sounds right. How about... what about... Eileen? For your mother?"

Severus' brows shot toward his hairline before he furrowed them. Aurora Eileen Snape. Well, he wasn't sure how his mother would feel about it, but it had a wonderful ring to it.

He smiled down at his little girl, gently leaning in to kiss her tiny forehead. "Welcome to the world, Aurora Eileen."

—————A—————

December 25, 1995

Their visit to St. Mungo's to see Mr. Weasley was very short. The Weasley kids got some time with him, of course, and Harry, she, and Draco were able to visit as well. At least until a small group of adults came in, putting an end to the festive mood. Aurora's mother and father, Sirius, Professors Lupin and Moody, a pink-haired woman, and Aunt Minerva asked them all to wait outside. And while they were all curious about what was happening, they found the Extendable Ears the twins provided heard nothing but static. Her father had soundproofed the room, making it impossible for them to listen.

"Well, that's not going to do us much good," Fred said.

"Perhaps, then, we should attend to some business, Gred?" George hinted, elbowing his brother in the ribs. A light danced in Fred's eyes.

"Perhaps we should," he said, then glanced down at Aurora hesitantly.

They hadn't had any time alone since Leonidas' interruption, and Aurora was beginning to miss her boyfriend. And not just for snogging purposes. She could still see the shadow of worry in his eyes, the annoyance and pain when they learned Percy had sent back his Christmas sweater. She wanted to comfort him and distract him and was growing increasingly annoyed that she couldn't. The Black house was too full, the Snape house too far away, and there was almost no chance at all of him returning to Hogwarts before Christmas break was out.

"Mind if I walk you out?" she asked. "Or even to the Floo?"

"Come along, Rory," George answered for them, and she flashed a wave to the others before departing, hand-in-hand with Fred.

George had the decency to walk a few paces ahead, hands in his pockets, pretending to be very interested in what was in front of him and like he had no clue his brother was behind him.

"I think we need to get George a girlfriend," Fred suggested. "He seems lonely."

"As long as it's someone we could double with," Aurora pointed out. "Luna?"

"Nah, he doesn't go for blondes," Fred replied, and Aurora hummed in understanding. "Would you like to come with us? To see the shop? I think George wanted to head to Gringotts, see if we have the funds we need, but we could swing by..."

"Best not," she replied regretfully. "I can't imagine the sort of hell my father would cause if he found out I slipped out. You're lucky my mother hasn't said anything about the library."

"Yeah, probably best that I don't push your dad too far. Or your mum, for that matter. She can be a scary woman in her own right." Fred stopped, turning toward her in the corridor. "We'll see you at dinner, won't we?"

"Not sure, actually. I think we're due at the Malfoys."

"Ahh, the in-laws," Fred teased, and Aurora rolled her eyes.

"Bugger off with that, now, if you know what's good for you," she growled.

"Oh, I know what's good for me," Fred said before ducking down and stealing a kiss. She didn't swoon and her heart didn't skip a little beat. Aurora refused to acknowledge she was, in any way, reacting like a love-sick teenager. But the sigh that slipped past her lips as they parted gave her away, and it was worth it to see the grin on Fred's face. "See you later, Rory," he said, turning and doing a light jog to catch up with his brother.

Aurora waited for a moment in the lobby of St. Mungo's for her senses to return to normal. It was a very, very short time since they'd become boyfriend and girlfriend, and she was far too young, even if she were only a little bit younger than her parents were when they... She refused to believe she was in love. Or falling in love. Infatuated for sure, but...

"R-R-Rory?"

The stutter from near the Floos startled her, and when she turned to see a very embarrassed Neville standing beside a tall, imposing woman, Aurora blushed.

"Hey," she managed, eyes darting from her friend to who could only be his grandmother. "Are you... is everything—?"

"Yeah," he said, shuffling from foot to foot.

His grandmother looked unimpressed. "Stand straight and don't fidget, Neville. I raised you with better manners than this. Now, you must be Aurora Snape."

"Yes, ma'am," Aurora said, bowing her head, not really sure what else she should say or do. She was raised like a pureblood but in that moment, it was like all her good breeding had jumped out the window.

"Neville's told me so much about you." Neville's blush deepened. "What are you doing wandering the hospital by yourself?"

"Oh, er, a couple of friends were visiting their father and they stepped out a moment, I was seeing them off."

"The Weasleys, then? Yes, I heard about it from some of my contacts. Now, Neville, seeing as she's here, why don't you invite Aurora with us to see your parents?"

Aurora immediately wanted to insist it wasn't necessary, for the second the suggestion passed Mrs. Longbottom's lips, Neville became deathly pale. But then she watched him swallow a lump in his throat, stiffen his spine, and ask barely above a whisper, "Would you like to meet my parents?"

"Sure," she croaked, joining him as he and his grandmother continued into the Janus Thickey ward.

Along the way, she spotted Harry, Draco, Ginny, and Ron confused by Neville's visit. Rory just quickly shook her head, hoping the Longbottoms wouldn't see, and also hoping the others wouldn't question her or Neville on where they were going.

"My Frank gave his wits to help put an end to You-Know-Who and his followers," Mrs. Longbottom said, and Aurora turned to pay attention. But Augusta Longbottom wasn't even looking at her. "Alice, too, the dear girl. I don't think the pair of them should have been out together, but they were determined. She should have stayed home with Neville, like a proper witch. Put her career on hold. Oh, there was some sort of nonsense about a prophecy and all, but I still say that it was nothing, nothing of consequence. They didn't need to be hidden, and maybe if they hadn't been tucked away, then they wouldn't have both felt the need to venture out."

Aurora snuck glances at Neville as his grandmother blathered, seeing how uncomfortable he looked.

"Of course, Neville doesn't have the talent he should have. Had Alice not worked so hard, rested like a witch should when with child, then he would have been just like his father."

"Neville's not so bad," she said without thinking, making both Longbottoms look at her, surprised. She shrugged. "He's horrid at potions, but I've heard he's actually getting really good at Defense." She gave Neville a small smile that made him beam, his chest puffing up a little.

"Hmm," Mrs. Longbottom replied, unconvinced. "Well."

They entered the ward, and Neville shifted closer to Aurora as they headed to the far end of the room. It wasn't a particularly full ward, and Aurora wondered if it was because permanent spell damage was normally far more fatal, or if the witches and wizards in the ward were put here because they had no family that could or would take care of them. A glance at the posh Mrs. Longbottom, Aurora guessed much of it was due to the latter.

"Frank, Alice, Neville brought a friend," she said, and for a moment, Aurora thought that Neville had grossly overexaggerated their condition when the two people beyond the curtain actually looked up at Mrs. Longbottom.

But the vacant eyes of the handsome wizard spoke of a knee-jerk reaction. The witch smiled warmly, but there was no recognition.

After a quick look at Neville's parents, Aurora recalled the picture of the original Order of the Phoenix. His parents were the same age as hers, in their mid-thirties, so very young for magical folk. And yet Neville's parents looked at least two decades older, their hair grey-white. There was no warmth in their eyes as they looked at their son, they passed over him as easily as they did her. He was a stranger to them.

"Mum, Dad, this is Rory," he said shyly. "She's the girl I took to the Yule Ball last year. The picture? The one I ... I brought? Er, she was here to see someone else, but she wanted to, ah, come meet you."

Well, it wasn't entirely true, of course, but she stepped up to Neville's mum, the more open, friendly of the pair, and smiled as warmly as she could. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Longbottom," she said, and a glance at Neville told her it was exactly the right thing to do.

—————A—————

"I would actually spend time with Weasel if it meant getting out of this," Draco whispered to her out of the corner of his mouth as he stood with Aurora by the mantel, away from the adults. They were in the parlor of Malfoy Manor, dinner over and the adults mechanically going through the trouble of scotch and tea while Leo was in the library and Draco and Aurora were forced to stay because of their future union.

"Sadly, I agree," she mumbled back before delicately sipping her tea. She hated this part of her life, the one that made her wear dresses with her hair done up, and now make-up charms. And while she greatly appreciated Fred's whistle of approval and longing stare as they left Grimmauld Place before Mrs. Weasley fed them their meal, it felt like a mask no different than the one she knew her father had in his robes.

"You should have heard the way he carried on after we spotted you with Longbottom. He swore you were two-timing Fred. I told him the only person you would ever be having an affair with was me, and anyone with a brain would know how well that would work."

"Please tell me he was convinced it was a possibility."

Draco snickered. "He's loyal to a fault, clever when he wants to be, but has about as much common sense as a newt."

"And what are you two lovebirds whispering about over there?" Uncle Lucius asked, drawing their attention to the adults.

While her parents looked bored, perhaps even a bit amused, Aurora noticed that Aunt Cissy looked a bit embarrassed.

"Merely discussing the idiots we are forced to attend school with, father," Draco replied before sipping his own tea.

Uncle Lucius hummed, smirking as if he didn't believe them, then suddenly hissed as he grabbed his left arm. Aurora watched her father grimace, clutching at his own arm as he looked at his wife.

"It seems our Lord is calling," Uncle Lu said as he stood.

"Indeed." Aurora watched her father bend to place a peck on her mother's temple as he withdrew his mask. "Shall we?"

Uncle Lu nodded as he summoned his mask, and Aurora blinked as her father disappeared.

For a moment, the room was silent.

"I can't take it," Aunt Cissy said, and Aurora sensed Draco stiffen.

"What do you mean, Cissy?" Aurora's mother asked.

Mrs. Malfoy looked ready to reply, then hesitated, looking at the pair of teenagers.

Hermione followed her gaze. "Aurora, why don't you take your brother back home, and Draco with you," she suggested, and Aurora nodded. The pair left the parlor, Aurora shutting the door behind her before they headed down the corridor to the library.

"She does mean Harry's, doesn't she?" Draco asked.

Aurora nodded. "And if she didn't, I'm sure she'll figure out where we are."

—————H—————

"Cissy?" Hermione asked again once the kids had left. She knew they would go back to Grimmauld. She didn't need to worry about them, but the way Cissy had carried herself from the moment they arrived did worry her.

Cissy smiled freely whenever they came by, and while they weren't the best of friends, she was always warm and kind. She always thrived as a hostess, even if it was for a simple luncheon. But everything about her friend tonight seemed strained, and the more Hermione watched her, the more tense she became.

Narcissa sighed heavily and seemed to steel herself. "I can't live this life, not this time," she said in a whisper, even though they were alone. "Lucius has come back injured, terribly so sometimes. Gashes, spell burns. I've even... he spent an entire evening in the guestroom after one of his meetings with the Dark Lord thrashing on the mattress with seizures. Hermione, I'm not sure I can go on like this. I know I must be stronger than I currently am, but it's not like it was the first time."

"I know," Hermione said, because it was the absolute truth. She knew Severus was spared from half the calls because he had to be at Hogwarts. But the times he did go, the times she came to check on him, she always found him nursing some wound or another, an empty vial of his Cruciatus cure on the floor or table nearby. "It's not as it was."

"Lucius is determined to do something for him, but he won't tell me what. All he keeps saying is that if he succeeds, he'll earn the Dark Lord's favor, and remain so for good. But... but Hermione, what if he fails?"

"I'm sure it won't come to that."

"What if the Dark Lord comes for Draco?"

That gave Hermione pause, because she had stopped thinking of Draco as Lucius' son. They were night and day. Draco had long stopped believing in his father's rhetoric, was friends with good witches and wizards, and had all but declared his love for the boy prophesied to be the end of the very leader his father followed. Yet he was a Malfoy, and what if Lucius failed?

"If it comes to that, if there's time, come to me," Hermione said. "Come to me, and only me, and I will make sure that you and Draco go into hiding."

"Where could we go? Lucius would be hunted..."

"If Lucius fails, you can't be with him. He'll either be killed or captured, and you'll need to not be with him." Hermione took a breath. "Remember, my own husband went to Azkaban for two weeks. Before he was cleared, no one could find me or my daughter, not until his trial." Narcissa nodded. "I've hidden others away as well. I can and will help you."

"Thank you," Narcissa said, her voice a sigh of relief. "It's good to know there is someone I can turn to."

"I love Draco like my own, and I can tell you now that if Severus ever did anything to anger the Dark Lord enough that he didn't return, I would take my own children and hide away. I will do the same for yours."

"We shouldn't be speaking like this, I know. I know that it's wrong... but sometimes I wonder if it's not. Blood should stay pure, of course. An occasional half-blood to ensure that there aren't abominations within the bloodlines."

"But how do half-bloods come about? I know Severus' parentage isn't the best example of how it could work."

"I'm just not sure what to think anymore," Narcissa said, shaking her head. "Draco used to speak of a girl in Gryffindor who was Muggle-born and unbelievably gifted with magic. She was powerful. Or could have been." Hermione grinned proudly. "But how could that be? Did she steal it? Was she actually a cast-off from a pure-blood family?"

Hermione pursed her lips, carefully considering her words. "I think... My mother used to tell me that there were some Muggle families who had the ability for magic locked within their genetics. Whether it was because there was once a Squib in their family, or a more fairytale notion that we are all born with it, and for witches and wizards it just comes naturally. But regardless of the how, she knew it was impossible to steal another's magic. We can bind it to our own, of course, but never outright steal it. And she always figured that it took some sort of magic for it to be unleashed."

"She sounds like a Muggle lover," Narcissa countered.

Hermione shrugged. "We did live among them."

"How dreadful that must have been." Narcissa's lip curled.

"Not as horrible as you make it out to be. I've always preferred their fashion."

"Yes," Narcissa said reluctantly, eyeing the dress Hermione was wearing. "I must admit that you do have excellent taste in dresses and robes."

Hermione smirked, settling back in her seat, switching from tea to scotch. She and Narcissa discussed trivial things a while longer, but in the back of her mind, Hermione was already forming an escape plan for them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 182 15
Emma Darlington grew up in a bad environment; criminals everywhere, stolen things and murders at her front door. Her parents were Deatheaters, but wh...
151K 3.9K 20
(Y/n) (Y/l/n). A 5th year Hogwarts student. 16 years old. A Gryffindor and a muggle-born. Very kind, very nice, and very very lonely. Severus Snape...
13.8K 287 43
"Who is she?" "She is the heir of Godric Gryffindor and quite possibly the most powerful witch the world has ever seen." ...
734K 23.3K 100
madison taylor, a 'slytherin' who was broken. who needed fixing. who needed someone to keep her in line. who needed someone. hermoine granger, a gry...