The Transfer ✔️

By jade_writesalot

It's subtle at first. A weaker punch, a misplaced foot, an out of breath pant. But then Damien seems to give... More

Chapter One - Blood
Chapter Two - Transferring
Chapter Three - Systems
Chapter Four - Vulnerability
Chapter Five - Confrontation
Chapter Six - Meetings
Chapter Seven - Warning
Chapter Eight - Survivor
Chapter Nine - Importance
Chapter Ten - Competition
Chapter Eleven - Protection
Chapter Twelve - Morose
Chapter Thirteen - Discovery
Chapter Fourteen - Acceptance
Chapter Fifteen - Sheild
Chapter Sixteen - Awareness
Chapter Seventeen - Preparation
Chapter Eighteen - Attack
Chapter Nineteen - Foreboding
Chapter Twenty - Testing
Chapter Twenty-One - Decisive
Chapter Twenty-Two - Caution
Chapter Twenty-Three - Friends
Chapter Twenty-Four - Normality
Chapter Twenty-Five - Determination
Chapter Twenty-Six - Vote
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Beginnings
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Gloom
Chapter Thirty - Annihilation
Chapter Thirty-One - Remorse
Chapter Thirty-Two - Recovery
Chapter Thirty-Three - Reconstruction
Chapter Thirty-Four - Overwhelmed
Chapter Thirty-Five - Uncontrollable
Chapter Thirty-Six - Revelations
Chapter Thirty-Seven - Reunion
Chapter Thirty-Eight - Growth
Chapter Thirty-Nine - Change
Chapter Forty - Unanticipated
Chapter Forty-One - Promise
Chapter Forty-Two: Commencement
Chapter Forty-Three - Control
Epilogue - Belonging

Chapter Twenty-Eight - Protests

359 30 5
By jade_writesalot

As leader the people of Defense became increasingly familiar as time passed. As my first week of being leader passed through, those who came in to train were easier to recognize and place. Additionally, their traits and characteristics of their training were easy to pinpoint. Before, I was focused on myself, but now I had everybody to worry about. Although it wasn't technically a worry, I was beginning to thrive under the expectations. Watching people refine their skills, build muscle and catch onto new techniques was some form of heroin – I was beginning to crave it.

True to my promise, I had set up a schedule for training. People were responding well to it and I'm using the building block of consistency to lure people into defense. Matt and Elise are my two main helpers and supporters – their advice has been invaluable. Is invaluable.

As they work around me, I stand and smile in the middle of room. People work around me; the sound of punches being thrown and the receivers groan echoing across the room in various stages. I had already trained with a group of people today and I stop to check who's here.

"These two havent arrived?" I question, pointing at the list. It was another of my promises I had followed through on. I knew exactly who was coming to train. If it wasn't everyone, I wasn't happy.

Matt shakes his head, frowning in my peripheral vision. "No, not for two days, actually."

I sigh and nod. "Okay, I'll go track them down. What room did you say the girl was in?"

"Twelfth." He nods before turning back to someone who's asking for his attention.

I send a smile to a group training before moving out of the Defense base. The whole camp feels a lot quieter, now that there's not tens of defense soldiers doing whatever they want. I feel as though I've restored some order to the camp.

Walking down the residential corridor, I count the doors until I end up at the designated one. I knock once before pushing in – the doors are rarely locked. I make it two steps into the room before I stop in shock. The man, who I'm assuming is the other missing one, is on top of the naked woman. I look up the ceiling and will my face to remain stoic against the embarrassment emanating around the room, mostly coming from me.

The man swears and drops down to the womans side, both of them dragging the sheets over themselves.

"You have five minutes to get to defense. This is the only mistake you can afford to make. If you miss one more training session by lying to me, I will have you personally removed from my sector," I keep my eyes on the ceiling for my speech but glare the ruffled pair to accentuate my next point. "Understand?"

They both nod frantically. I raise my eyebrows before walking back out of the door. I don't let them off the hook by breaking and smiling at them. They don't deserve that.

I womble my way back to Defense. Clearly my shock is evident as Matt latches onto it almost instantly, catching my wrist to make me face him.

"What happened? Did you find them?" He questions.

I nod. "Sure did. They were having sex."

Matt bursts out laughing and only laughs harder when he spots my unimpressed expression. "What? Does that bother you?"

It wouldn't, if they were doing it in their own time. It's only natural to have needs, I have them too, they just haven't been a priority in the past months. It's not like I've never done it, either, a guy in Oakwood took care of that. It's the lying that bothers me. Their selfish act that screwed up the schedule and potentially endangers others. Without everyone training, the camp has reduced defense. We're already weak, we cannot afford to become any weaker.

Shaking my head in disagreement, I shrug my shoulders. "It's not that. It's the lying."

"They needed some time." Matt grins, his more brash attitude to the subject causing his teasing side to come out.

I shrug. "Their time is up, time to train."

"Yes, boss." Matt drones, but he sends me a wink before moving on.

Eventually the pair return and my morning returns to normal, thankfully. Somehow my distracted mindset allows me to get more work done that I expected to. After restocking first aid kits – we're going through more now that more people are training. I think Medical love having people to care for. I then move on to clean down the mats, an unpleasant task, before focusing on myself.

Training my arms, I do weights for numerous sets before moving into boxing, my second favorite exercise after knife throwing. Lunch time comes and goes without me noticing, although Matt brings me a sandwich, and I continue working into the afternoon.

My tunnel-vision training is disturbed by shouting in the entrance. Shooting Matt a confused look, he shrugs. Moving with confidence, I send everyone a reassuring smile before walking up the ramp. There's no point in creating hysteria when I don't know what's going on. I'll call back-up if I need it. I can only hope I won't.

Taming some of my nerves, I walk into the entrance to see numerous people standing in the main entrance, three poised at each entryway to a sector. The three standing at defense immediately start shouting in my face, their skin flushed red with what I can only presume is anger. When they take a breath from they're unintelligible shouting, I hold up my hand to halt another spiel.

"Are you quiet done?" I ask, my tone sharp.

"We demand more!"

"How dare you work us like slaves!"

"Sectors never work! We want freedom."

Widening my eyes and pressing my lips together into a fine line and push past the protesters with an unimpressed look - they've eradicated any good mood I was previously in. They move aside easily, even though they don't want to, because I'm much stronger. There's no-one from defense here, I have pounds of muscle on them.

Standing at the doors, I count at least thirty protesters, possibly more, all shouting. Some wave signs back and forth. There's only a few of us out here observing them, but every time someone appears it's like fuel to their fire. I want to stop them but I fear that I would be overpowered if I was to go in myself.

Looking along the edges, I light up with relief when I spot Evelyn standing at the entryway with her arms crossed, Ruby beside her biting her nail. I wave and move to stand beside them.

"We need to shut them down. They have the right to protest but they do not have the right to do it unauthorized when they should be working for the camp." I say, having to raise my voice so they can hear me over the shouting.

Evelyn nods and Ruby gives me a thumbs up, both of them moving into the crowd. I take the risky position of the people by the entryways, those standing there seeming more passionate than the rest.

"Take it down now, or there will be punishments," I instruct, capturing the pair standing at Medical by surprise by stealing the sign out of their hands. "Decided by the outside."

The threat of superior powers always works in intimidation tactics and it's no different here. People quickly drop their signs and apologize, scampering off to wherever they were supposed to be. I'm glad none are in defense, I'm too agitated to face them again.

Once everyone is gone only Ruby, Evelyn and I are left in the entryway.

"I'm going to go back to the fields. Confrontation isn't my thing." Ruby shrugs apologetically.

I want to say thank you but she disappears through the Food entrance before I can form a single word. Frowning in concern, Rubys anxiety over confrontation seems to dig deep into her family history. She keeps her PTSD hidden remarkably well, but I make a mental not to check up on her later on.

"Will you gather the other leaders? I feel like we need an emergency meeting."

"Definitely," Evelyn nods, impressed at me, I hope. "I'll gather them. Take the signs so we have them as proof."

Taking the bundle of signs from her and moving down the residential corridor, I embrace the silence after such a forceful environment. I make it to Leonardo's room first and drag the table into the center of the room, finding the chairs tucked into the corner. Smiling at the same clean state of the room, I manage to take five deep breaths before the leaders come flooding into my aura of calm.

"What's this about?" Isaac questions, moving quickly into his seat. A frown cast across his face quickly explains how concerned he is.

"This," I say, spreading out the posters across the table. "Is about riots in the main entrance. At least thirty of them this afternoon, shouting."

"About?" Leonardo questions.

Hes wearing work trousers, coated in mud. His long-sleeved top is black but the Edges of it are damp, with what I can only assume is sweat. I remember it raining this morning so that must be why his clothes are caked with mud. Frowning at the struggle he must be facing today, he reassures me silently by squeezing my shoulder before sitting down. The heat of his hand travels down my whole body.

"That sectors stop their freedom. They deserve their freedom. They're done being quiet," I list with a sigh. "I don't know. Evelyn, Ruby and I took them down and sent them back to work."

"Yeah, I did notice people missing." Isaac nods, his confusion turning into worry.

Leonardo nods in agreement and there's a moment of silence in the room. I take a moment to appreciate the fact that I'm a leader now. There's only four of us in this room – Greg's lack of presence refreshing and needed. Although, with only four of us left, a new sense of responsibility settles onto my shoulders. People are relying on me now.

I must make the right decisions from now on. I cannot afford to be selfish anymore. For eight years I've only worried about myself. Sure, I trained people in Oakwood but that was a temporary position that didn't take up a significant amount of time. Being leader will. I have people relying on me, waiting for me. This isn't just about training either, it's stocks and budgets. Responsibilities and expectations.

If there were riots going on, so recently to when I was elected, I'm obviously missing something. No protestors were from defense, but if the spark catches on, they soon might be. I can't afford to lose members of Defense to petty protests that will go nowhere. I'll make sure of it.

"I say we observe it for a while. Wait and see if it happens again. There's no need to start laying out punishments if this was a one-time thing." I suggest, surprised that I hold back on punishments. A year ago, I would've wanted them cleaning the camp from top to bottom just for even suggesting the idea of a protest.

"Maybe interview the people who protested? See why they're so furious about their lack of freedom." Evelyn suggests, running a thumb along her bottom lip in contemplation.

"Good idea." Isaac nods, standing up. "I've got to go, but keep me updated."

We all murmur in agreement and move out of the room, returning back to our responsibilities. The atmosphere is tense, a dark looming realization coming over us. For years, this camp has happily co-existed with one and other. What happens if that balance is broken? Will we survive a rebellion?

These questions follow me for the rest of the day. I train and train and train, desperately trying to get some of the frustration and anger out of my system. It helps considerably. But by the end of the day, my body is aching from the exertion. Packing up, I wave Matt goodnight and go for a shower, rinsing off the day of training. Dressing into loose trousers and a form fitting white t-shirt, I make my way into the canteen.

Served a usual dinner, I scan the canteen and spot Leonardo sitting at a table with Isaac. With Evelyn and Ruby not present, I swallow my nerves and go and sit beside him, not saying a word as I slide down. His eyes meet mine in the instant.

"Hello." He smiles softly but it doesn't reach his eyes.

Isaac stands up with his empty tray and waves goodbye. I smile at him in knowing, but he doesn't back down from his obvious attempt to get Leonardo and I alone together. Once he's gone, Leonardo drops his head onto my shoulder, his hair tickling the skin of my neck. I breathe in, overwhelmed by the smell of him, before leaning my head against his.

"I'm so tired," He grumbles. "And I hate mud."

I smile tiredly, even though he can't see it as I let my soul settle in peace with him beside me.

~~~~
Author's Note:

When Audrey walked in on the couple.... ;)

How embarrassing for her! Ahaha, I would've died in embarrassment.

What did you think of the protests? Do you think the camp could survive?

Next couple of chapter guys....wow, they're emotional. Make sure to add this book to your library to stay up to date!

Let me know if you have :)

Much love,

Jade x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

307K 6.6K 68
This book needs editing, the first chapters aren't very good, but the story gets better as you read on! There was only one thing that Amelia White ne...
497K 16.9K 43
《 Highest Ranking: #5 in Vampire 》 "Is that Marcus? Marcus as in, from our High School Marcus!" Casey squeaked. I spun around, not quite believing h...
931 50 50
"Well just for that, I'll show you abuse." He says and before I could react, he punches me. Hard. I was pissed. Even though I haven't had ALL my trai...
4.1K 147 28
Narrator: Turtlelover1987 { Tmnt 2016 version} Published: May 11, 2019 A cop named Leonardo has been struggling with his past for three years know a...