The Con-Artists

By aiz9046

🏆 2nd Place Winner in Mystery Genre of 'The Peerless Introverts Awards' 🏆 2nd Place Winner in Mystery Genre... More

ꜰᴏʀᴇᴡᴏʀᴅ
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴏ
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜰᴏᴜʀ
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜰɪᴠᴇ
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱɪx
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇ
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴇɴ
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇʟᴇᴠᴇɴ
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇʟᴠᴇ

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱᴇᴠᴇɴ

190 12 3
By aiz9046

They stepped inside the uncomfortable aura of the Jinnah International Airport. Rangers on duty at the entrance, security cameras all over the place, officers pry eyes on strangers, a crowd of people and here, despite the security, two con artists trying to make an escape.

Alina wiped the beads of sweat forming on her forehead as they walked through the lounge, near the airline check-in counter, her high boots clicking on the white marble floor. They were already late so they didn't have to wait in the departure hall.

"Act normal," Azlan whispered casually.

"I know how to act, don't order me around." She whispered back, though her tone was sharp.

"How will Maheen follow us here?" Alina asked him, as they waited for their turn in the queue, eyeing the security officers.

"She has a friend, a flight crew member, it won't be a problem for her." It was part of their plan. Maheen decided to keep an eye on them until they were out. She would follow them to ensure their safety, if something unusual happened she'll be there for help.

Alina nodded slyly, once again roaming her eyes on their surroundings. Her eyes caught two pairs of hazel ones. It was Maheen. She got in, maybe with the help of her friend. She gave Alina an understanding final glance and stood near one of the counters.

At their turn, they present their baggage for inspection. It went fine and smoothly. The security officer checked their passports and ushered them to go. Alina gave a side glance to Azlan when they settled in their respective seats in the plane.

At last, she got to see his features clearly under the bright lights. Her eyes narrowed, scrutinizing the boy's figure. His attributes and dressings gave an impression of being a gentleman. Or if he really was a con artist then he seemed a respectable one. He had brown messy hairs with grey steely eyes. Eyes similar to the person who was once the most important soul in her life. She was dazed, looking at his good-looking profile. Her sixth sense continuously warned that she had seen him somewhere. He resembled...

"Please stop this stare session, you're confusing me. It's creepy." Azlan's irritated voice stopped her thoughts and guesses.

"Oh really? Then don't you think stalking someone is more creepy?" She mocked.

"Listen, I-" Looked like he came up with a new excuse or lie because it was confirmed that he wasn't going to tell the truth, so Alina shut him up.

"Save it." She blocked her vision with an eye mask and rested her back on the comfortable seat beneath her.

A long sigh of relief escaped her lips as soon as she felt the plane lifted off the ground and flew to its destination. They finally departed for Lahore. The city she visited fourteen years ago with her parents. She wasn't happy though. How can one be happy in a situation like hers?

She was exhausted and needed a good sleep. However, it was impossible in their one and a half hour flight. A nap seemed okay to her and she let her mind relaxed. Her strings of thoughts wander in her complicated life of past, yet sleep didn't come.

Alina spent her flight hours finding peace which was unfortunately far away. She mentally prepared herself for any uncertain events as the plane landed at the Allama Iqbal International Airport. They got out of the airport building after the usual security checking.

"I don't have enough money so I won't hire Uber, it will be expensive. Instead, we'll catch a taxi." Azlan told as they walked towards the road.

"Wait what? You don't have money!?" Alina nearly freaked out.

"I mean not enough cash right now, we have to survive in limited amount until Maheen came here." He explained and Alina huffed in annoyance. So, now they were out of money!

It was almost 6 am, the sun rising slowly, spreading its light on the outskirts of Lahore.

Azlan hired a local yellow and black taxi and Alina timidly sat in. They reached the small two-story apartments which was thankfully much better than the last ones. Climbing up the stairs and dragging their suitcase with them, they stopped on the first floor at gate number 3 of the apartment. The sight in front made Alina more confused like the events before weren't enough after the whole hectic night she spent.

Two boys standing right in front of the door laughing like maniacs. They had their heads stuck in the phone and seemed like they were waiting for someone, maybe for them?

Their laughter died the moment they saw Azlan and Alina.

Alina threw them a nasty look and took in their appearance. Both were dressed in ripped blue colored jeans with top knot haircut. The tall one was wearing a neon orange colored shirt while the other was dressed in bright red. Multicolored bands on their wrists and cheap silver chains around their neck. Both were giving thug vibes with their tharki looks.

"Here you are," the tall one said with a local Punjabi accent. "You have to pay an extra sum now for keeping us waiting till morning."

"I will, but first we need rest," Azlan spoke convincingly.

"Fine." The tall one gave a small bag to Azlan which Alina didn't notice before, then he handed keys and muttered something in his ear to which Azlan nodded.

Alina averted her eyes, bored and tired. She glared at the second boy who was giving her stupid goofy grins.

"Rats," She thought as they bid Azlan goodbyes and hopped off the stairs. "What was that? Were they waiting for Azlan at this hour of the morning?"

Azlan opened the door and they went inside the flat. It was small yet clean. Azlan put the bag on the table and pointed towards a room beside the open-air kitchen.

"This is your room, rest then we'll talk in the afternoon." He said and moved towards another room, shutting the door behind him.

"What the...?" Alina refrained herself from saying any slang word as she watched him ignoring her. He seemed tired and didn't want to initiate a conversation right now. Well, who cares?

Alina turned back and strode towards her room but suddenly stopped in her tracks when her eyes caught the sight of a knife holder on the kitchen counter. She sneakingly slid a paring knife in her hand and closed herself in the room. Hiding the knife under a pillow she laid on the bed and let her body relax. It was for her own safety, she had been on her own for a long time and she knew how to protect herself. She can't trust Azlan, or anyone related to him. She stared at the pale yellow ceiling above until she succumbed to sleep.

•••••••

She was running as fast as her thirteen-year-old legs could carry her down the street. Excitement coursed through her veins as she reached the doorsteps of a small cozy house made of ancient red bricks. She tiptoed and stretched her hand to ring the doorbell but she found the wooden door already open.

"Baba and mama will be proud of me." A big smile made its way to her lips as she thought of surprising her father. She giggled as she thought of her father's reaction to the news she was going to break on him. She rushed inside, clutching the envelope in her little hands like it was very dear to her. Much to her surprise, the house was eerily silent.

"Baba!" Her loud call echoed in the large rooms yet no reply came.

"Baba! You promised that if I got an A grade we'll go for vacation," Assuming that her father would be in his usual place, the library, she climbed the stairs, loudly calling her father.

"You promised you'll take a week off from your work and we will go together. You, me, mama and baby Maryam," she hastily pushed the door and strode inside. "You promised..." Her steps halted and so her voice.

Excitement evaporated in thin air and her smile faded. The envelope slipped from her hands and dropped like a fallen leaf on the ground. Her face clouded by darkness and so was her fate.

Her immature mind was unable to register the horrible scene that lay in front of her innocent eyes. A tear leaked her eyes as she unbelievingly watched her father's body that lay on the carpeted floor.

"Baba?" She took slow steps towards him. Her expressions turned horrified and a sob escaped her lips when she watched her Baba's state. His grey eyes that once held love and kindness were lifelessly open, devoid of any emotions. Blood trickling down his wounded head, blood all over his white T-shirt, blood on his kind face, blood on his protective arms, blood on the carpeted floor, blood everywhere.

Crying, she fell on her knees, she couldn't fathom a word. Crying as she hugged his legs. Crying as she touched his face lightly, feeling the blood on her fingers.

"No," she whispered inaudibly, clinging tighter to her dearest Baba's lifeless body. Her heart ached like millions of needles piercing her heart. Her heart ached to touch his lifeless ice-cold body.

"No," she muttered again, shaking her head like a crazed maniac. Her mind went numb, drifting away bit by bit.

"Alina!" It was her mum's voice, upon which she raised her tear-streaked face.

"Mum?!" She looked in search of her mother in the room which now seemed like an empty dark hall. The darkness seemed ready to engulf her.

"Alina!" Her voice came again, somewhere from the obscurity.

"Mum?! Please, where are you, please," she bit her lips as she sobbed, silently pleading, her body latched onto agonizing pain.

"Alina!" A heavyweight crashed down on her body as she waited for the anguish and pain to overpower her drained body and soul.

"Alina! Wake up!" She opened her eyes wide and took a sharp intake of breath. Her body was caked in sweats yet she shivered in the uncontrollable fear from the same nightmare she hadn't witnessed in a long time.

"Alina, it was only a nightmare. You're okay."

Her eyes found two pairs of steel grey eyes staring right at her with concern and worry. Grey eyes. Exactly like her father's. It was Azlan, bent on her.

Alina hastily sat straight and pushed Azlan back with full force, ignoring her aching body. He stumbled backward, shocked by her action. She grabbed the paring knife and pointed towards Azlan's neck until his back collided with the wall.

"Who the hell are you Azlan?" She hissed.

♦♦♦♦♦♦

Hi there!

Here's chapter seven.

Hope you like it.

Q. Who do you think Azlan is? Any guesses?

Vote, comment, and share.

_A.M_

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

461K 25.5K 71
*COVER CREDITS* @blackue02 #1 indian on 15/02/2020 #1 arrangedmarriage on 04/03/2021 #1 hotheaded on 20/07/2019 #1 mumbai on 17/10/2019 #1 court on 0...
933K 9.1K 10
❤️COMPLETED AND TAKEN DOWN ❤️ EXCLUSIVELY AVAILABLE ON KINDLE ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ She sits behind the bushes and can see him comfortably, he is trying to...
41.1K 2.3K 32
Jahanara's world is filled with monstrous silhouettes, looming in the dark around her, ready to harm her. The coldness of her eyes could slit people'...
589K 28.9K 59
COMPLETED!✔🔱✅ "Don't worry little one there is no one here to save you from me, you don't know how desperately I have waited for this moment," he sa...