Alexander's Lover [Alexander...

By MishMishYouIsFine

"Alexander was only defeated once and that was by Hephaestion's thighs." - Aelian A biography of the life of... More

Soundtrack
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
Epilogue

Preface

5.2K 105 13
By MishMishYouIsFine

"If you wish to be beautiful and good, throw away the rag you have in your head and come to us. Yet you will not be able to do so, for you are held fast by Hephaistion's [sic] thighs."

Diogenes of Sinope / Diogenes the Cynic (412 or 404 BC - 323 BC), letter to Alexander

"As a matter of fact, Hephaestion enjoyed so much power and freedom of speech based on this friendship that when Olympias was estranged from him because of jealousy and wrote sharp criticisms and threats against him in her letters, he felt strong enough to answer her reproachfully and ended his letter as follows: 'Stop quarrelling with us and do not be angry or menacing. If you persist, we shall not be much disturbed. You know that Alexander means more to us than anything.'"

Diodorus Siculus (1st century BC), "Perseus Under Philologic," 17.114.3

"Hephaestion was by far the dearest of all the king's friends; he had been brought up with Alexander and shared all his secrets. No other person was privileges to advise the king as candidly as he did, and yet he exercised that privilege in such a way that it seemed granted by Alexander rather than claimed by Hephaestion."

Quintus Curtius Rufus (probably of the 1st century BC), "The History of Alexander"

"When Hephaestion died, Alexander cast into the Pyre his Arms, and Gold and Silver, to be burnt with the dead body ; as also a Vest of great esteem amongst the Persians. He likewise caused all the chief Souldiers to be shaved, himself acting an Homerical passion, and imitating his Achilles. But he did more eagerly and fiercely, laying waste the Castle of the City Ecbatana, and throwing down the Wall. As to the shaving of his Hair, he did in my opinion like a Greek : but in throwing down the Walls, he exprest his mourning like a Barbarian. He also changed his Vest, giving all over to grief, love and tears."

Aelian (c. 175 AD – c. 235 AD), "Varia Historia," 12.7

"Alexander Crowned the Tomb of Achilles, and Hephaestion that of Patroclus ; signifying that he was as dear to Alexander as Patroclus to Achilles."

Aelian (c. 175 AD – c. 235 AD), "Varia Historia," 12.7

"Some say that he lay prostrate on his companion's body for the greater part of that day, bewailing him and refusing to depart from him, until he was forcibly carried away by his Companions."

Arrian (c.86/89 AD – c.after 146/160 AD), "The Anabasis of Alexander"

"For in fact it is related as true, that Anaxarchus seeing a present of small fishes, which the king sent to Hephaestion, had used this expression, in a sort of irony, and disparagement of those who undergo vast labors and encounter great hazards in pursuit of magnificent objects, which after all bring them little more pleasure or enjoyment than what others have."

Plutarch (c. 46 AD - after 119 AD), "The Parallel Lives: The Life of Alexander"

"She [Alexander's mother] often wrote to him to this purpose, and he never communicated her letters to anybody, unless it were one which he opened when Hephaestion was by, whom he permitted, as his custom was, to read it along with him; but then as soon as he had done, he took off his ring, and set the seal upon Hephaestion's lips."

Plutarch (c. 46 AD - after 119 AD), "The Parallel Lives: The Life of Alexander"

"Eumenes of Cardia, writing to Antipater, states that just before the battle of Issus, Hephaestion came at dawn into Alexander's tent. Either in absence of mind and confusion like mine, or else under a divine impulse, he gave the evening salutation like me--'Hail, sire; 'tis time we were at our posts.' All present were confounded at the irregularity, and Hephaestion himself was like to die of shame..."

Lucian of Samosata (c. 125 AD - after 180 AD), "A SLIP OF THE TONGUE IN SALUTATION"

"...among his chief friends and favorites, Hephaestion most approved all that he did, and complied with and imitated him in his change of habits..."

Plutarch (c. 46 AD - after 119 AD), "The Parallel Lives: The Life of Alexander"

"And in general he showed more affection for Hephaestion, and more respect for Craterus; Hephaestion, as he used to say, being Alexander's, and Craterus the king's friend."

Plutarch (c. 46 AD - after 119 AD), "The Parallel Lives: The Life of Alexander"

"Which they all did one after another, till it came to Callisthenes's turn, who took the cup and drank, while the king who was engaged in conversation with Hephaestion was not observing..."

Plutarch (c. 46 AD - after 119 AD), "The Parallel Lives: The Life of Alexander"

"At this misfortune, Alexander was so beyond all reason transported, that to express his sorrow, he immediately ordered the manes and tails of all his horses and mules to be cut, and threw down the battlements of the neighboring cities. The poor physician he crucified, and forbade playing on the flute, or any other musical instrument in the camp a great while, till directions came from the oracle of Ammon, and enjoined him to honor Hephaestion, and sacrifice to him as to a hero. Then seeking to alleviate his grief in war, he set out, as it were, to a hunt and chase of men, for he fell upon the Cossaeans, and put the whole nation to the sword. This was called a sacrifice to Hephaestion's ghost."

Plutarch (c. 46 AD - after 119 AD), "The Parallel Lives: The Life of Alexander"

"Alexander then encircled the tomb of Achilles with a garland; and it is said that Hephaestion decorated that of Patroclus in the same way."

Arrian (c.86/89 AD – c.after 146/160 AD), "The Anabasis of Alexander"

"But there is another report, to the effect that on the following day Alexander himself went into the tent, accompanied alone by Hephaestion, one of his Companions. The mother of Darius, being in doubt which of them was the king (for they had both arrayed themselves in the same style of dress), went up to Hephaestion, because he appeared to her the taller of the two, and prostrated herself before him. But when he drew back, and one of her attendants pointed out Alexander, saying he was the king, she was ashamed of her mistake, and was going to retire. But the king told her she had made no mistake, for Hephaestion was also an Alexander."

Arrian (c.86/89 AD – c.after 146/160 AD), "The Anabasis of Alexander"

"Raising her with his hand, Alexander said, 'My lady, you made no mistake. This man is Alexander too.'"

Quintus Curtius Rufus (probably of the 1st century), "The History of Alexander"

"To Hephaestion he gave Drypetis, another daughter of Darius, and his own wife's sister; for he wished Hephaestion's children to be first cousins to his own."

Arrian (c.86/89 AD – c.after 146/160 AD), "The Anabasis of Alexander"

"It has been stated by most writers that he ordered honours to be always paid to Hephaestion as a hero; and some say that he even sent men to Ammon's temple to ask the god if it were allowable to offer sacrifice to Hephaestion as a god; but Ammon replied that it was not allowable. All the authorities, however, agree as to the following facts:—that until the third day after Hephaestion's death, Alexander neither tasted food nor paid any attention to his personal appearance, but lay on the ground either bewailing or silently mourning; that he also ordered a funeral pyre to be prepared for him in Babylon at the expense of 10,000 talents; some say at a still greater cost; that a decree was published throughout all the barbarian territory for the observance of a public mourning. Many of Alexander's Companions dedicated themselves and their arms to the dead Hephaestion in order to show their respect to him; and the first to begin the artifice was Eumenes, whom we a short time ago mentioned as having been at variance with him. This he did that Alexander might not think he was pleased at Hephaestion's death. Alexander did not appoint any one else to be commander of the Companion cavalry in the place of Hephaestion, so that the name of that general might not perish from the brigade; but that division of cavalry was still called Hephaestion's and the figure made from Hephaestion went in front of it. He also resolved to celebrate a gymnastic and musical contest, much more magnificent than any of the preceding, both in the multitude of competitors and in the amount of money expended upon it. For he provided 3,000 competitors in all; and it is said that these men a short time after also competed in the games held at Alexander's own funeral."

Arrian (c.86/89 AD – c.after 146/160 AD), "The Anabasis of Alexander"

"...my Companion [Hephaestion], whom I valued equally with my own head.'"

Arrian (c.86/89 AD – c.after 146/160 AD), "The Anabasis of Alexander"

"This man sent back to Apollodorus, inquiring of whom he was so especially afraid, as to wish to consult divination. The latter wrote back: 'The king himself and Hephaestion.'"

Arrian (c.86/89 AD – c.after 146/160 AD), "The Anabasis of Alexander"

"Yea indeed, Hephaestion's death had been no small misfortune to Alexander; and I think he would rather have departed before it occurred than have been alive to experience it; no less than Achilles, as it seems to me, would rather have died before Patroclus than have been the avenger of his death."

Arrian (c.86/89 AD – c.after 146/160 AD), "The Anabasis of Alexander"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.5K 904 25
(REUPLOADED) [๐’๐“๐€๐‘๐“๐„๐ƒ]- October of 2018 [๐๐”๐๐‹๐ˆ๐’๐‡๐„๐ƒ]- August 25th, 2019 [๐…๐ˆ๐๐ˆ๐’๐‡๐„๐ƒ]- August 15th, 2021 ...
498K 18.1K 103
"You will be glorious. You will be my glory." Y/N's life was quiet before that day. What day? The day a giant snake tried to kill him. Then it became...
74.9K 1.7K 43
Aphrodite, the Goddess of Love and Beauty is forced into an unwanted marriage the very evening she emerges from the sea. While Hephaestus is not terr...
62.5K 2.8K 57
On this spring day, tell me you love me. Otherwise, it'll be gone in the cold, winter winds. โ”โ”โ” Percy Jackson & the Olympians FE...