Thriving

By Wayward_demigod

Amber never had much growing up. She was raised in the Glades by two working mothers who gave her everything... More

Cast
Welcome Back
Mr. Diggle
Slip-Up
A Father-in-Training
Auctions
Mr. Diggle's Replacement
Everybody Hates Rob
Assassination Attempts
Disaster Brunch
Christmas (And Hannukah)
Family Affairs
Co-Parenting is Fun
Party Like You're 18
Thea's Prosecution
The Count
Busted
Bring Your Niece to Work Day
Good Vigilante, Bad Vigilante
Jessica
Purse Thief
Gone Girl
Hostage
Hail Mary

Little Fighter

3.2K 90 6
By Wayward_demigod

By the time Jessica made it back to the precinct, Oliver was already sitting in an interrogation room and Lance was getting ready to enter.

"Lance!" Jessica shouted, her furious voice booming across the precinct. "Have you lost your damn mind?"

"Nope." Detective Lance answered simply. 

"Really? What sane person would believe that Oliver Queen is The Hood?"

"I have evidence."

"What evidence?"

"Video footage of him, holding the costume."

Jessica scoffed. "That's weak."

"It's a starting point." Lance turned away to go start his interrogation. "You stay away from this case, Clarke. Your too close."

"Says you." Jessica spat.

"Not me. The Captain." Lance corrected.

Jessica gritted her teeth, fuming with rage. "Unbelievable."

* * *

Moira wasted no time storming into the precinct building, wanting-- no, needing-- to protect her son from the charges Detective Lance was determined to make stick. "Jessica." She caught the young detective's attention.

"Moira." Jessica stood up from her desk. "I'm sorry. I tried talking to Lance but I've been ordered to stay away."

"We appreciate you trying," Walter said.

"Where is my son?" Moira questioned

Jessica sighed. "Interrogation." She glanced over her shoulder at the room. "I'll, uh, I'll go let Lance know you're here." She walked over, opening the door without a knock. "Moira and Walter are here."

"Tell 'em to wait," Quentin instructed.

"I want to see my son." Moira strolled in past Jessica with Walter right on her heels.

"I'm in the middle of an interrogation here!" Quentin yelled.

"Detective Lance, I know you hate my family but I had no idea you'd go so far as to arrest my son without any grounds whatsoever!" Moira's voice grew louder as she let her anger out.

Quentin stood up, getting annoyed. "I have solid grounds and I have evidence." He argued.

"Which you can present to Mr. Queen's attorney when he gets here," Walter spoke up. "Until then, this interrogation is over detective."

Quentin looked taken aback. "Sure." He relented. "You have fifteen minutes." He sent one last glare to Oliver before leaving.

"I'll leave you three to talk." Jessica nodded toward Oliver, silently letting him know that she was on his side.

As soon as the door closed, Oliver looked up at his mother and stepfather. "How's Amber?"

Moira sighed. "Oliver, as sweet as that is, what's important is proving your innocence."

"I know." Oliver nodded. "But is she okay?"

Moira and Walter exchanged a look. Diggle ended up telling them about Amber's little act of assault. It was just another part of her that reminded them of Oliver

"Well, she kicked a cop between the legs this morning at the house. Clearly your daughter." Moira gave her son a look. Oliver couldn't help but crack a small smile.

"Other than that, she's just worried about you," Moira informed.

 "Yes. She, like all of us, has noticed the personal vendetta Detective Lance appears to be on." Walter added.

"He blames me for the death of his daughter," Oliver said. "He also thinks that I dress up in a green hood and shoot people. With arrows." His tone changed from serious and grave to playful and sarcastic.

"The important thing is to not say anything until your attorney gets here," Walter advised.

"Fine. I want Laurel."

Moira and Walter scoffed. They couldn't believe the words that left Oliver's mouth.

"Brilliant," Walter muttered under his breath.

"Oliver, I don't think your ex-girlfriend can be counted on to be objective here." Moira scolded.

"She knows me better than anyone. She knows that I could never be this guy." Oliver argued. "Walter, you say Lance has a vendetta?"

"Yes."

"I think Laurel can get him off of it. He raised her to do the right thing. That includes representing an innocent man. So, Mom... Please." Oliver gave Moira a look that left her unable to refuse his plea.

So she left to go try to convince Laurel to represent her son.

* * *

After the morning's insanity, Amber stayed home. Everyone agreed that it wouldn't do Amber any good to send her to school like it was any normal day when her father had just been arrested for murder.

Amber gladly agreed to the idea. She stayed up in her room all morning, hiding from the world and everything in it.

"Hey, kid." Jessica walked in, bringing reality with her.

"Hey," Amber replied dejectedly.

"Oliver's trial starts in an hour. Do you want to go?"

Amber stared up at Jessica with a confused look. "Really?"

Jessica shrugged. "If you want to. Dig's waiting with the car."

"I want to go." Amber decided.

"All right. Come on." Jessica led Amber downstairs to the car sitting out front with Diggle leaning against it. He opened the door for Amber and Jessica.

Amber moved to climb in first but Jessica stopped her. "You're sitting in the middle." She said before sliding in.

"The middle?" Amber got in after her stepmom, expecting an answer. Instead, she got sandwiched between Jessica and Diggle. "You're not driving?" She asked Diggle.

"Not today."

"Why?"

Diggle and Jessica shared a look. "You'll see," Jessica answered.

* * *

When Jessica said 'you'll see', Amber didn't think she meant seeing paparazzi. Dozens of intense photographers crowded the courthouse steps just waiting for the chance to get pictures of Oliver Queen and any member of his family.

"Oh." Amber gulped. "That's what 'you'll see' meant."

"Changing your mind?" Jessica asked.

Amber stared out at the crowd. "No." She shook her head. "But can you guys, like, stay really close? Please?"

Diggle chuckled. "That's my job, Amber. Come on." He opened the door, climbing out and holding it open for Amber.

She hesitantly slid out, eyes widening at the mob of paparazzi and reporters running toward her.

Jessica immediately stepped out of the car and pulled Amber close.

Diggle stood in front of Amber and Jessica, cutting through the paparazzi. He kept one hand out in front to push the maniacs away and one hand behind him so he could keep Amber close.

It was a rough thirty seconds, during which Jessica almost decked a photographer for trying to shove a camera in Amber's face. Yet, somehow, the trio made it inside safely. Amber finally breathed easy again.

But where she was going next wouldn't be any easier for her anxiety.

Diggle and Jessica led Amber to a courtroom. In the front row of seats, behind an empty mahogany table, sat Moira, Walter, and Thea. Jessica gave Amber a light push toward them.

"You're not coming with me?" Amber glanced back at her stepmom with worried eyes.

"I'll be sitting right behind you," Jessica promised.

"Okay." Amber reluctantly walked over and sat down between Thea and Walter. She still felt uneasy but at least she was with people she knew and trusted.

Minutes later, Oliver came in. The courtroom security guard started reading the trial information to the judge and jury.

"Docket 81-9-4-1. People versus Oliver Queen. Murder, aggravated assault, assault with intent, menacing, and trespassing." He passed the paper to the judge.

The judge glanced at Oliver, noticing he sat on his side of the courtroom with no lawyer. "Where's your attorney, Mr. Queen?"

"I'm representing myself, Judge," Oliver answered.

The DA and her partner looked over at him, shocked.

"Why doesn't he have a lawyer," Amber asked Thea in a whisper.

"He wanted Laurel but she refused," Thea told her niece quietly.

"I'm not sure that's the wisest course, Mr. Queen." The judge said.

Oliver stood up, his hands pressed to the table. "I think it is. I'm innocent."

"Then we'll consider that your plea."

"Thank you." Oliver sat back down.

"Now, as to bail." The judge turned to the DA.

She stood up. "Your honor, Mr. Queen's family owns a pair of private jets, and while on the subject of their wealth, I would point out that there is virtually no bail amount that could guarantee his presence at trial."

"So, then, I guess it's a good thing that the people's case is so circumstantial." Laurel waltzed in holding a manila file and a briefcase. She stepped through the gate that separated the on-lookers from the people actually a part of the trial. "Dinah Laurel Lance, your honor. I'd like to file my appearance on behalf of the defendant."

Oliver moved over, giving Laurel the chair he previously occupied.

"Mr. Queen's wealth should not deprive him of the right to be released on bail while under the presumption of innocence."

"He is a flight risk." The DA argued.

"Then minimize the risk," Laurel said. "The defendant is willing to submit to home confinement and electronic monitoring through the wearing of a UKG45 administered ankle device."

"What's that?" Amber leaned toward Thea.

"Shh." Thea was practically on the edge of her seat with anticipation and worry for her brother.

"No, he wouldn't." Oliver tried to deny the deal Laurel was making but his efforts were futile.

"Sold."

"Your honor..." The DA couldn't believe her opposition was getting off easy.

"Bail is set at fifteen million dollars. Five million dollars bond. Defendant to see probation for the fitting of a GPS device." The judge hit her gavel, adjourning the trial.

"Oh, that's what it is," Amber said to herself.

A/N: Sorry for the late update. My spring break just started and I completely forgot that yesterday was Monday. So happy Tuesday, I guess.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.3K 99 26
My name is Jasmine Queen. My parents are Oliver Queen and Laurel Lance. When I was a child, my dad was arrested for a crime he didn't commit and in h...
88.8K 2K 32
Oliver Queen didn't spend five years on an island alone. He spent five years on an island with Rebecca Carson. She started as a sweet, innocent d...
7.4K 206 65
After five years on Lian Yu Oliver and Thea Queen are returning to Starling City to right their Family's wrongs. With both of their parents dying on...
369 23 26
For five years we knew they were dead. We were only half right. One came back alone and had changed. We all changed but somehow he had become more se...