Secrets that Kill (boyxboy)

By BlueExodus

-COMPLETE-A bxb romance. When Nate gets tricked into playing a game of 7 minutes in heaven, he gets a lot m... More

Seven Minutes in Hell
You Know You Want Me
Chocolate and Ice Cream
Possibilities
Blackmail
Denial
The Construction Worker
Wake up Call
...And The River Ran Dry
The Promise
Friends Don't Let Friends Text Drunk
The Meeting
Unlikely Alliance
Conspicuously Absent
The Safety Precaution
A House, Not a Home
The Meathead's Epiphany
Hero
Redefining Attraction
The Lesser of Two Evils
Temptation
Insurance
Drawing The Line
Buzz Kill
Karma's a Bitch
Family Ties
Mother May I
The Ultimatum
Never Say Never
Peppermint Scented Secret
Forgotten But Not Forgiven
In Plain Sight
Redemption
The Calm Before The Storm
Home Sweet Home
Fall From Grace
In Love and Death
An Eye for an Eye
Nostalgia

The Difference Between Boys and Girls

15.4K 514 291
By BlueExodus

Nate paced back in forth in front of Erik's locker, feeling like a real stalker. But hey, how the hell else was he supposed to get a hold of him? He had no idea why it hadn't occurred to him to get his number the night before, but he figured he'd chalk it up to all the drama that had gone down.

BEEP

Crap. That was the final bell. He didn't need another tardy to add to the reasons his mother had to be pissed off at him. She'd completely ripped him a new one for not only being as late as he was, but bringing a guest to the house at 1 .am. Yup. His mother was the type that felt it was rude to get angry or anything around guests, which meant no lectures or outbursts until company had left.

Honestly, though, his broken curfew was the last thing on his mind. After the crap that had happened to Erik's car and getting home at 3:30 in the morning, he hadn't been able to sleep.

Oh man. What if something had happened to Erik? What if whoever trashed Erik's car came back to his apartment after they dropped him off and-

Gah. He couldn't let himself think about any of that right now. He just needed to get to class, and text Amber to see if she had his number.

Heading over to his first period class, Nate tried not to draw too much attention to himself as he entered the classroom late.

"Nate Havers, I hope that in the future you don't make it a habit of being late." Nate could barely hear his teacher's voice call out from behind him. His mind seemed to have taken on a sort of single minded, mental tunnel vision. He barely nodded his head as he slid into his seat next to Amber.

"Hey, Nate. You alright?" Amber chimmed in her usual cheerful morning voice. "You seem a little tense."

"Yeah, I'm fine." Nate mumbled, sliding his phone out of his pocket. "Listen, can you give me Erik's number?"

"Yeah...so I guess this means you guys made up?"

Right. He hadn't told her yet. "Yeah, we hung out last night, but someone trashed his car."

Amber made a gasping noise, bringing her hands up to her mouth. "Oh my gosh! Is he alright?"

"That's what I'm trying to find out now. What's his number?"

Amber read his number from her phone before, as expected, trying to get some juicy details about last night.

"So, what did you guys do? Was there some lip action-"

"Later, Amber. Alright."

The bubbly blonde girl looked put-off by her best friend's lack of details, but shrugged, muttering under her breath, "Sheesh. You really aren't a morning person."

Nate ignored his friend's mumbling, typing a text to Erik instead.

Where the hell are you?

Excuse me? Who is this?

Nate. Why weren't you at your locker this morning?

I had to get a rental car so I've been running a little late.

What was in that envelop last night?

Nothing of importance.

Bullshit! What was in that envelope?

Some things are better left alone, Nathaniel.

Nate's grip tightened around his cell phone. Why was he treating him like he couldn't handle any of this? Like he was a child?

That's it. Were not having this conversation over text. Meet me out in front of the school at the beginning of 2nd period.

Nathaniel, I know for a fact that you have class that period.

So fucking what. Meet me out front during 2nd.

Closing his phone, Nate cursed under his breath. Erik was being a real pain in the ass with all this secretive shit.

"Everything alright?" Amber asked, glancing over at him from her seat like he was a ticking time bomb.

"No. It's not."

Nate waited anxiously in front of the school, checking his watch for the 5th time. He sure as hell better show up. Alright, so maybe the bell had only rung, like, 30 seconds ago, but he was aggravated from a combination of lack of sleep and Erik being such a stubborn pain in the ass, which made waiting a hell of a task.

Finally, Nate spotted Erik heading towards him on his left.

"A bit impatient, aren't we?" Erik mused, his eyes taking in Nate's body posture.

"Well, you would be too if some asshole just left you hanging."

"Nathaniel, I didn't leave you hanging. I simply chose not to involve you in something that would make the situation even more complicated than it already is."

"Newsflash, Erik, the situation, whatever the hell that means, is already freaking complicated. Don't treat me like I'm some child that can't handle anything."

Erik let out a small sigh. "That's not what I'm doing Nathaniel."

"Really, because it sure as hell feels like it."

"Well, things are not always as they seem."

"Oh please. Give me a break. You want me to be open and honest with you while you're standing here refusing to tell me about something that happened right in front of my house?"

"Indeed, I'm quite the hypocrite. And I will continue to be as long as it is in your best interests."

"And that's up to you to decide, is it?"

Erik's eyes flickered across Nate's for a moment as if searching for something. "Nathaniel, do you honestly believe I'm keeping this information from you because I do not trust you."

"Yes, I do."

"You're the only person I've ever told about my parents."

Nate froze. Erik could be manipulating and cunning and lie like it was second nature, but Nate was sure he wouldn't lie to him about something like this.

"I- I didn't know."

"Well, now you do."

A heavy silence fell between them as Nate allowed the anger to slowly drain away.

"Listen, Erik, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have blown up on you like that, but last night scared me, a lot."

"And that's exactly why I think it would be a good idea not to reveal anything else."

"I wasn't finished. Las night scared me because you just totally shut me out and wouldn't tell me what was going on. And then you freakin' wouldn't even let me help you. Which made me angry."

"Nathaniel, it is not your job to help me."

"It's not about it being my job, Erik. It's about me wanting to help you because I care about what the hell happens to you. And it's bullshit what you're trying to do here. I can handle this, whatever it is."

Erik face softened slightly. "I never doubted your capacity to handle anything, Nathaniel."

"Then what the hell is the problem here?"

"Me."

Nate blinked, utterly confused. That was the absolute last thing he'd been expecting to hear come out of Erik's mouth.

"I can't help myself from wanting to protect you from all this."

Nate felt an odd warmth spread through his chest as his stomach did a back-flip. He'd always fantasized about some prince charming coming in and being his hero and keeping him safe. Funny how what you think you want never quite ends up being all you thought it was.

The only problem with his little fantasy was that he hadn't factored in the possibility that he might actually develop feelings for his prince charming. Sending your hero out to fight your battles becomes a lot more complicated when you start falling for them.

"We're a couple now, aren't we?"

"Of course."

"Last night, you were the one that told me to trust you. Well, it's your turn. Trust me enough to tell me what the hell's going on."

Erik paused, his lips drawn into a thin line as if struggling with some internal conflict. Finally, he spoke, his voice tense, lacking the usual sarcastic humor Nate was used to.

"The envelope, it contained a letter."

Nate looked at him expectantly, waiting for him to continue. When he didn't, Nate prodded him on.

"Alright. So what was in the letter?"

"Words of endearment."

Nate scowled, crossing his arms in front of him. "I'm serious, Erik!"

"What happened to your sense of humor, Nathaniel?"

"It's taken a leave of absence that's going to be permanent if you don't cut this crap out right now." Erik was just stalling for time, putting off telling Nate the truth, and he knew it.

"Fine. A warning."

Nate's eyes narrowed. "What kind of warning."

Erik sighed, obviously displeased he was having to reveal all this to Nathaniel. "The kind of warning that I doubt is worth taking seriously." Nate's eyes narrowed. He got the feeling Erik was downplaying the whole thing for his sake, like he didn't want to upset him.

"Erik, are you kidding. These people trashed your car. They're obviously serious." God. Getting answers out of him was like pulling teeth. "Do you have the letter with you?"

"No."

Nate paused, racking his mind for all the questions that had deprived him of sleep earlier that day.

"Do you have any idea who could have done this?" Honestly, Nate was more than surprised that Erik, of all people, had such a fierce enemy. He was the school's golden boy, for god sake. Nobody hated him.

"No."

Nate studied Erik's features. They were totally blank. Which meant Erik was putting up a mask on purpose. Either that or he was honestly as puzzled as Nate. Deciding to leave well enough alone, at least for now, Nate brought up the pressing thought that had been almost as prominent as who had done this.

"Do you think they know where you live?"

"I'm not sure...I doubt they'd do anything much more drastic, though."

"Holy shit..." Nate mumbled, shaking his head. "Erik, I don't think it's a good idea for you to keep living there, at least for now."

Erik let out a slight chuckle. "Don't you think your overreacting a bit, Nathaniel. People get their cars keyed all the time."

Nate scowled, crossing his arms in front of him. "Don't laugh. This isn't funny. And no, I don't think I'm overreacting. My mom's really worried about the whole situation too."

"Nathaniel, please. Before we jump to conclusions, lets at least give it a little more time and see what happens."

Nate paused, his scowl lessening slightly. "Fine, but on one condition."

"What might that be?"

"You let me see the letter."

Erik sighed, shaking his head. "It's not going to be conducive to the situation, Nathaniel."

"I don't give a crap."

Pausing for a second, Erik finally relented. "Very well..." Erik spun on his heels, motioning for Nate to follow. "You know, your stubbornness is quite a force to reckon with."

"I know." Nate beamed proudly, allowing a grin to spread across his face. In truth, even he was surprised that he'd won this little argument with Erik.

"Don't expect for much of this to be happening in the future, though." Erik added, a small smirk tugging at the corners of his lips.

Nate shot him a glare. "Yeah, well, we'll see about that."

"Indeed." Erik mused, obviously amused by Nate's stubbornness.

"What's so funny?" Nate asked, glancing around.

"You."

"Me?" Nate asked, confused.

"Yes. You're quite cute when you get all worked up and worried, Nathaniel."

Nate flushed 5 shades of red, flattered and embarrassed and angered all at once. "Hey!"

"It took every ounce of self control I had to keep from smiling while you were yelling at me."

Nate was pretty sure this was supposed to be the part were he yelled and got all mad, but instead he found himself...laughing?

"You are so..."

"Cocky, self-assured." Erik offered.

"Well, actually, I was going to say sweet, but those work too."

"Me? Sweet?" Erik tilted his head to the side, a crooked grin on his face. "That's one I haven't heard before."

"Yeah, well don't get used to it." Nate echoed, the tone of his voice the same as Erik's had been when he'd said it.

Erik let out a small chuckle, pausing as he came to a stop in front of a black corvette.

"Is this your rental?" Nate asked, almost scoffing at how ridiculous the price must be to rent one of these things.

Erik nodded, unlocking the car door and getting into the driver's seat.

"Are you coming, Nathaniel? I though you wanted to see the letter."

Nate quickly slid into the passenger's seat, not wanting to give Erik any reason to change his mind. Yeah, he was probably going to piss his mom off even more by just leaving during the middle of the school day, but she had seen what had been done to Erik's car. She should understand how pressing the whole matter was.

"So...not to press my luck or anything, but why did you give in and agree to this?"

Pulling away from the curb, Erik glanced over at Nate. "Because, I realized by trying to protect you,
I'm only pushing you away. Being stubborn as you are, there's no way you're going to allow me to bench you on the sidelines when all the drama is taking place, though I'd love it if you'd let me."

"Not a chance in hell."

Erik's crooked smirk grew even wider. "I thought so. And I suppose that's how it's supposed to be, isn't it?"

"What?"

"Being in a relationship. You're supposed to stand beside the other person, not behind them."

Nate had never even considered the latter a possibility. "Yeah, at least in my mind."

"It's quite different than what I'm used to. All the girls I've dated have been more than content with allowing me to be the protector."

Nate snorted, rolling his eyes. "Yeah, well, maybe that's why you're not with any of them....or one of the reasons, at least. That reminds me..."

Nate had more than just a few questions to ask Erik about his previous love life. Had he ever dated a guy before? Was he bisexual, or just a gay guy that dating girls for public appearances. Did he move this slow with all of his love interests?

And what was the story with him and Sean? Now that he knew Erik, he didn't understand how him and Sean had become friends. At first, when he had just assumed Erik was some dumbass jock that was nothing more than a pretty face, the relationship had made sense. Now, though, none of it seemed to fit.

And, most importantly, did he have any Zack's of his own that Nate needed to worry about.

Amber glanced around, her gaze shifting from Nate's empty desk to Erik's. She was willing to bet the two of them, wherever they were, were together. Which kind of made her jealous. Just a little bit.

She missed having Nate around to talk to and hang out with. Lately, it seemed like he didn't have any time for her. She understood he was hung up on whatever he had going with Erik- hell, she would be too if he was interested in her- but this morning, he had just brushed her off like she was nothing more than a hassle.

And he wasn't giving her any details either. It kind of sucked the fun out of setting the two of them up when she didn't get to find out the outcome of all her efforts.

"Hey Baby."

Amber craned her head to the left. She really hoped it wasn't who she suspected it was.

Sean was sitting to her left, wearing the white sunglasses Amber suspected he didn't take off even when he slept.

"What do you want?" Amber asked, wrinkling her nose in disgust and glancing over at him suspiciously. "And don't call me baby. My name's Amber. We've gone to school together for the past 4 years. You should know by now."

Sean clenched his fists slightly, visibly annoyed. "I just wanted to tell you I don't hate you. I didn't mean to be a jerk or anything, but your fag friend-"

"His name is Nate."

Sean's jaw tightened slightly, obvious aggravation on his face at having been corrected.

"Nate, and I just don't get along."

"Oh, and I wonder why." Amber muttered sarcastically, shifting her gaze back down to the worksheet in front of her that the teacher had assigned.

"Anyways, I was thinking, you hungry? We could get lunch or something."

Amber blinked, almost choking.

"Are you asking me out?"

"No. Chill. Its just lunch."

Amber cast him a suspicious glare, ready to say no. Except she remembered Nate wasn't here, which meant she'd have to eat alone.

"Are you buying?"

"C'mon. Do you really have to ask? Look at me. I'm loaded, obviously."

Amber rolled her eyes. Well, Sean was annoying, and an asshole, but maybe she could convince him Nate wasn't so bad over lunch. Then at least he'd ease up on the bullying. Besides, there was no way she was going to say no to a free lunch, even if it was coming from a total asshole like Sean.

The Difference Between Boys and Girls

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.3K 599 42
Diego Santiago was not your average teenager. He had a loving mother, a great best friend, a beautiful friend, an ex-boyfriend that gave him a traum...
400 15 16
*COMPLETED* Jeremiah has always been a model student until an early onset of a psychosis related illness sees his grades plummeting and his depressio...
903K 23.4K 22
18+ Trigger Warning: Violence, Broken Family, Death A story in which the bad boy falls in love with the muted nerd. This is BOYxBOY short story. High...
347 29 7
Contrary to popular belief, hell really does exist on earth. More specifically, it exists in the American public high school system. If you aren't on...