Once Upon a Prince

By Kendallmariie

A Cinderella tale with a modern twist. Raylynn wants to be loved but also wants to get away from her father... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Three

4K 166 6
By Kendallmariie

Raylynn

I arrived home after parked my car down the street in my friend May's driveway where I usually kept it. That was the way to keep it out of Helen and her evil brats' hands. I was expecting to be yelled at as soon as I opened the door, instead I found the house empty. I looked round and found a note from my father.

Got tired of waiting for the tea so we went to Lucky's to eat instead.

At the bottom of the note was a message from Helen.

While we're gone, clean up the kitchen and make sure the house is spotless.

I crumpled the note and went to the kitchen to start cleaning.

Two hours later, I was finished and everyone came home. "Hey, you cleaned the house, this looks wonderful." My father said. "Here, I got you a steak with desert."

I took the box from his hand and opened it, everything was mashed and mixed together. "What was it supposed to be?"

"Oops, looks like everything spilled all over the place. The banana pudding is everywhere."

I looked at my father, first with horror and then with acceptance, acceptance that he no longer loved me and no matter what he said e didn't care about my well being. "I'm allergic to bananas, father. If I eat any of this my throat will swell and I'll die unless I can reach my epi pen in time."

"Oh, Raylynn-"

"So ungrateful, we went out of our way to get you food and now you won't even eat it, claiming so allergy!" Helen huffed and stomped away.

I ignored the hurt of Helen's words and my father forgetting about my allergy. I walked to the basement, shutting the door behind me. Once on my bed, I found my earphones and listened to Pandora on my phone, choosing the Drake station.

My music was interrupted moments later when I recieved a text from Chris.

Chris: Hey lady ;)

Me: Hello

Chris: I miss u

Me: U haven't known me long enough 2 miss me lol

Chris: I know enough about u 2 miss u

Chris: What r u doin tmrow?

Me: Job hunting

Chris: After?

Me: Not sure

Chris: Let me take u to the movies. My treat.

I thought about it, then replied.

Me: OK. I'll text u when I kno where I'll b

Chris: Ok c u then :)

Me: Bye

Chris: Dream of me

Me: ...no

Chris: Y not? >:(

Me: Lol Good night!

Chris: Meanie

Me: U just want the last word

Chris: So what if I do?

Me: Stop it! I want the last word >:(

Chris: Fine u can have the last word

Me: Thank u

Chris: Ur welcome

Me: night

I pushed the home button and turned over on my bed to put my phone on it's charger. I got a good night's sleep because I was finally content with the way my life was. My family didn't love or like me but I had two friends that actually gave a damn. All I had to do now was find a job, save my money, and then I'd be able to get away from father, Helen, Margret, and Meredith.

The next morning, I woke up bright and early, like 4am bright and early, dressed in one of the nice outfits I owned, and left with classified section of yesterday's newspaper. I started out hopefully but eventually grew depressed. The higher paying jobs, the ones I wanted, called for heavy duty labor and I've been denied on sight for all ten of them.

As I sat in a park, depressed and hungry, my phone rang, the display reading 'Chris'.

"Hello." I answered.

"Morning, gorgeous, how's the job search?"

I let out a heavy-hearted sigh. "No luck I'm afraid. At this rate, I'll never be able to move out of my father's house."

"I may have a solution to your problem." Chris said brightly.

"Speak to me."

He laughed. "Grandma needs an assistant."

"Why does she suddenly need an assistant? If this a ploy created by you just to help me out-"

"It's not, I swear. Grandma fired her personal assistant yesterday night and now she needs a new one."

"How do you know I can do the job?"

"Because you're not stupid and you seem put together."

"Based on what! I was a mess when I met you yesterday!" I shouted.

"Raylynn, relax, I know you better than you think I do and I can tell you're gonna do a great job. Your interview is a 2pm at St. Victoria's, don't be late and remember to smile." With that, he hung up.

I looked at the time on my phone, it read 1:37pm. I hopped up from the bench I was resting on and drove to St. Victoria's.

"Hello, Ms. Raylynn, Mrs. St. Victoria has been waiting for your arrival, follow me." George, the host, said and escorted me to the back of the restaurant.

"Hello, my dear, so glad you could make it." Grandma stood and hugged me.

"Mrs. St. Victoria-"

"I thought I told you to call me Grandma?" She said with a raised eyebrow.

"Um, you did but this is an interview isn't it?"

"Oh please, you've already got the job. This is a meeting to go over your duties, have a seat."

I sat beside Grandma as she went over the do's and don'ts of working for her, I took out my notebook and pen, ready to jot everything down. "If someone calls and wants a meeting, don't put it on the schedule, make a note and tell me what they want, if I approve, I'll tell you, then you can pencil it in. If it's family, put it on my schedule. If it conflicts with another appointment, come talk to me and I'll decide if anything needs to be moved. You have your license, right?"

"Yes."

"Good, if I need something, you'll personally go and get it because I wouldn't ask you unless it was important. If I ask you and you're doing something important, ask George. If George can't do it, he'll send someone he trusts to do it for him. Understood?"

"Absolutely." I responded. "But there's something I need you to know. I only have a high school education."

"Do you plan to go to college?"

"With the money from this job, after I get a place and can stand on my own two feet, yes."

"That's good enough for me." Grandma said.

I smiled in return.

"I need an assistant because things are going to get crazy. I'm expanding the business and a lot of people from different people are going to want a piece." Grandma explained.

"Different people like who?" I asked.

"Food vendors, land developers, drink vendors..."

I gulped. My father owns the beverage company Copepli, I pray he doesn't want a piece.

"That's all. You can go today but tomorrow I want you here at 9am sharp and ready to work."

I stood up and offered my hand for a handshake. Grandma ignored my hand and went in for a hug. "Welcome to the family, my dear."

Why did I sense a double meaning in that statement?

"Thank you, Grandma, sincerely, you don't know how much this means to me."

The hug tightened. "I think I know more than you think." She whispered back.

The embrace ended and I went to the front of the restaurant to leave, my path was blocked by a smiling Chris.

"Hey, gorgeous, how'd it go?" He asked as he hugged me.

"Good, I got the job and I'm looking forward to starting."

"When do you start?" He asked, leading me to an empty table in the middle of the restaurant.

"Um, tomorrow, I don't think we can just choose a table, I think we need to be seated."

"I was seated but I saw you so about to leave so I stopped you."

"Ok." I laughed. "Why did you stop me?"

"We have to celebrate, you got a job!"

"Wait! If we're celebrating this, I need to invite someone." I said, taking my phone out of my bag.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40K 2K 39
A year after her husband's death, Gigi Montagne is still unable to recover from her depression. Not even the presence of her young son Thomas is able...
4.6K 228 23
"𝘕𝘪𝘯𝘦 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘕𝘪𝘯𝘦, 𝘐 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘭𝘺𝘪𝘯𝘨... ...𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘦 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘰𝘧...
35.3K 1K 68
Oneshots (that are not in order) inspired by my Fanfiction work but with original characters. A lawyer who's married to a 'Don' and their new foster...
94.1K 2.1K 32
'ι ѕαנ∂ ιм тнє σиє иσт тнє тωσ'